Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Some custom weapons WIPs

Some more King Randor stuff . I thought it would be cool to have the 200X inspired shield of the Randor staction. The shield has a clip like the one on He-man's shield.

Hey,

yesterday my latest models from shapeways arrived. My own design, the Fisto Axe, the 200X MAA mace and 200X styled Randor shield. I modeled the MAA mace in two pieces so that I could make the upper part hollow to safe production costs

With a little superglue I could attach the parts easily.

A bigger project will be my mini comic styled Staff of Avion. I modeled it in three parts to make the casting possible. Next step will be to have these parts casted in translucent green to assemble the perfect Staff of Avion

I swear I will never be able to get all your weapons. You put them out faster than a factory!

The mace I definitely one of my favorites.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I'm interested in getting some of your weapons, but I was wondering.

What paints you use and what do you recommend using so that the paint doesn't rub on the figures' hands?
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    I've used Citadel and been met with some good results.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Hi bskcase, I use citadel and vallejo colors for painting. It works great and if you give the weapons a week or two to dry completely you should have no problems with rubbing off.

Quote Originally Posted by bskcase View Post
    I'm interested in getting some of your weapons, but I was wondering.

What paints you use and what do you recommend using so that the paint doesn't rub on the figures' hands?

Ordered myself the Mace 200X and Zodak Staff 200X. Looking forward to adding them to my collection
    I am fire made flesh, power incarnate, I am.... THE DARK PHOENIX!!!

The fire of the Phoenix burns through lies, you understand? The gaze of the Phoenix is like an x-ray tearing through every self-deception. So burn, Emma.
    Jean Grey, New X-men 139

Hey Mike, I just got some of your powerswords. It's the first time I've ever ordered 3D printed parts before. I think your designs are great, but I'm a little disappointed with how grainy and porous the material is now that I have it in hand. I ordered it in "strong, white, flexible polished" but it certainly doesn't look polished. I'm curious to know what materials you have actually had parts printed in, and if there's a way to actually get these with a smooth clean finish. I noticed Shapeways sells a sample kit for $30 which I guess also gives you a $25 off your next order coupon. I was thinking about getting that. Have you gotten the sample kit? I have so many questions about the materials, I guess I should try contacting Shapeways.
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

Quote Originally Posted by DrPAYNE View Post
    Hey Mike, I just got some of your powerswords. It's the first time I've ever ordered 3D printed parts before. I think your designs are great, but I'm a little disappointed with how grainy and porous the material is now that I have it in hand. I ordered it in "strong, white, flexible polished" but it certainly doesn't look polished. I'm curious to know what materials you have actually had parts printed in, and if there's a way to actually get these with a smooth clean finish. I noticed Shapeways sells a sample kit for $30 which I guess also gives you a $25 off your next order coupon. I was thinking about getting that. Have you gotten the sample kit? I have so many questions about the materials, I guess I should try contacting Shapeways.
    Hey DrPAYNE, I'm really sorry that your weapons came out grainy :/. Actually "white, strong & flexible - polished" is the material I am ordering my stuff, too. It is really nice and smooth. But I do remember having a similar problem with an order down the way. You should really contact shapeways and ask for a refund or if they ship the weapons again. Usually they are quite cooperative.

Actually, the white polished is the smoothest you can get, but there is a very minuscule grain feel to it. Your best bet is to coat the original sword with a good quality varnish or protectant that wont screw up the detail, then cast it for more pieces that are smoother. It is a good way to use different materials to. Shapeways uses 3D printing so there is no way to eliminate the grain altogether, it is how the process works.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Thank you Mike and Hoffrod. I've been reading up on the Shapeways materials support pages and the Shapeways forums and looking at their close up pictures. I guess what I got is what's to be expected of "strong, white, flexible, polished" and I'm just being really picky. I read a couple tutorials on their forums and I've experimented with one sword so far where I've sprayed it with a couple coats of primer and then wet sanded it with some 600 grit sandpaper and repeated the process about 3 times and it really looks a lot cleaner now. I'll keep you updated with how it turns out.
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

I like these weapons, because they don't neccesraily have to go with a set figure. Me and some friends do our own figures of Barbarians and stuff like that. And the weapons you get from the He-Man lines are representations for them. And they don't really look like they belong to anyone else without modifycations. But with these your a genius at making them.
    What was will be again.........

would like to see a SMAA with kevin kosse's custom head, that 200x mace and the cannon...it would be perfect.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Something I really want for a weapon is the scythe Scare Glow welded in the 200x Halloween special MVC comic.
    I strongly feel Scare Glow needs something more menacing or more like a true scythe or axe type long weapon than what came with the figure.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    Something I really want for a weapon is the scythe Scare Glow welded in the 200x Halloween special MVC comic.
    I strongly feel Scare Glow needs something more menacing or more like a true scythe or axe type long weapon than what came with the figure.
    That is actually a great idea! An idea I did not have myself until now . I'm going to see what I can do about such a scythe

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    YES!
    That would be sweet.
    I'm ready to give you my money already.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Maybe you can design the sycthe blade so it is like an attachment to his existing weapon kinda like it slips over the top of the axe and clips underneath it. Just an Idea.
    Hey Mike when is the emerald staff going to be availible.

Evil Mike!
    What a coincidence, I just ordered some of your stuff this morning, before I found this thread! I ordered the Bonesword, Boneshield, and your more FILMation style sword of power in the Alumide finish. Hope they turn out well and don't need too much painting.

Ever think about getting into the custom heads game?

Hey hadley, awesome that you have bought these items . They will look great with your figures . No, I have not thought about doing custom heads. I'm more into weapons and I could not make better heads than those guys who are already doing such great work in that section

... I had no idea this was possible ... and already existed ... and is 412 kinds of awesome ... ... I am impressed (and now saving my pennies).

Quote Originally Posted by evilmike View Post
    Hey hadley, awesome that you have bought these items . They will look great with your figures . No, I have not thought about doing custom heads. I'm more into weapons and I could not make better heads than those guys who are already doing such great work in that section
    Dude, your weapons just arrived today. They look INCREDIBLE! He-Man and Skeletor are sporting their new weapons right now. The Alumide finish looks good, but I don't know if I'd use that option again. If anyone's curious, they look and feel like stone. It's good, but maybe not for swords. I'd recommend that other folks get a smooth finish and paint them.

If anyone has any doubts about the quality of these pieces, please don't. Evil Mike did awesome work and Shapeways realizes them perfectly. I've attached some pics, see for yourselves!

sword1.jpgsword2.jpgsword3.jpg

Hey hadley,

thanks so much for the pics and for sharing your experience with the material. The alumide indeed seems to be quite rough. I would agree to recommend a smooth material like "white, strong & flexible - polished". It is as similar to the actual MotUC accessories as it can get.

By the way here are the next projects I will order next week:

Zodak's mace which I have already posted in another thread

A staff for Man-E-Faces which was shown very shortly in one of the 200X episodes. Most of the staff hat to be designed by myself because you could only see the middle of it in the episode

And last but not least a blacksmith's hammer for Spikor. I hope it will turn out as intendet and that you can plug the Hammer into his arm. I made it in two parts. The hammerhead is hollow to save on the production costs.

He-Man's sword crumbled to bits when I tried to adjust it in his hand. A warning against the alumide material. It looks nice, but don't use it! Shapeways says it's brittle, but I didn't think it would crumble the way it did. Just wanted to let anyone know who may order these.

Aw man, that is really a pity. I never tried the alumide material out myself. Never had a broken sword with the "White, strong & flexible" materials though.

The weapons are very cool

I also ordered Skeletor's bone sword (in Alumide), Skeletor had a 4 foot fall and the sword handle
    broke, I used super glue to fix it plus a small piece of black tape
    HeMan vs Skeletor.jpg
    DSC_0495.jpg
    Last edited by Oz cap He-Fan; August 23, 2012 at 01:57am.