Thread: what is this?

what is this?

Seller claimed it to be a prototype, but the original prototypes were made 2:1 scale to the actual toys and only two were usually sculpted, one for the steel molds and another for the master paint app.

Noticeable differences are: sharper details, different parts, slightly bigger, different pose, hand painted and possibly heavier (will be sure tomorrow). Because of these, i discarded the test shot possibility:

What do you guys think?

Never seen anything like it... Keep us updated man..
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Very cool find. I'm interested to see what you can find out about it.

Weight-wise, the alleged prototype is 18 grams lighter except the weapon which is 7 grams heavier than the final product. There are no copyright carvings on the back or under the left foot. There are glue residues under the right foot.

I'm starting to feel like this could either be an early hand painted testshot or a hand painted testshot of a man-e-faces variant. Just a guess thou, i'm trying to get in contact with the original owner.

Alleged prototype:

Final product:

Could it be a bootleg?
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Could it be a bootleg?
    I don't think so, i been searching for regular 200x man-e-faces and found that there is a variant much like this one i got, at least when it comes to the spinning part on top.

Can anyone check theirs against mine? Someone must have this variant.

Widget
    This looks like an engineering pilot from Hong Kong that has been painted, possibly for a show or some presentation.
    Engineering pilots are the master mold copies (usually made of a gypsum or resin material) that are in scale to the final product but allow for the shrinkage percentage for final plastic production pieces (hence the 4-6% larger size)

Something like this would prolly only be made at the request of the manufacturer (they are almost never painted up otherwise)

Quote Originally Posted by ToyKing82 View Post
    This looks like an engineering pilot from Hong Kong that has been painted, possibly for a show or some presentation.
    Engineering pilots are the master mold copies (usually made of a gypsum or resin material) that are in scale to the final product but allow for the shrinkage percentage for final plastic production pieces (hence the 4-6% larger size)

Something like this would prolly only be made at the request of the manufacturer (they are almost never painted up otherwise)
    Cool! Thank you for your input! While i'm still in trying to get in contact with the previous owner, i'm settling my mind on something like a hand painted test shot or what you suggested which is basically the same thing.

The paint and glue under the feet also suggests that even if this is some sort of test shot, it wasn't simply made to test molds, it was meant to be displayed.

I know it's been 6 years but, better later than never i guess? Here's what the 4HM had to say at the time:

De: "Four Horsemen" <4hmd@optonline.net>
    Data: 22/12/2011 4:11 da tarde
    Assunto: Re: Form Submission - Contact The Four Horsemen
    Para:
    Cc:

We're not sure what the seller has there. It looks like it could be a painted test shot and not an actual prototype.

It's definitely not what we would consider a "hard copy prototype". We sculpted all of the 200X MotU stuff at 2:1, meaning that the prototypes are twice the size that the final product would be. They're also cast in solid urethane plastic and pinned together with stainless steel dowel pins. Usually only two of these are ever made. One to create the steel production molds with and the other to be used as a "paint-master". That's definitely not what he guy has there.

It looks like he may have what we refer to as a test shot. This is when the factory tests the molds by running any scrap plastic that they have available to them through the molds and making sure there are no problems with the molds. Often they run about a dozen or so of those. Some are used to send to the company who's having them manufactured so they can approve the molds, while others are sometimes used to create paint samples - which, since it looks like this figure is pretty much the same size as a production figure, is what we think this guy might have.

It's still possibly somewhat rare if it's authentic, but it's definitely not as rare as the original 2:1 prototype hard copies that were made. Whatever it is, it's still pretty cool to see. Hope that helps somewhat.

Take care.
    -FOUR HORSEMEN-