Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How much is SPACE an issue to you?

I've had this problem for a long time. My GF's father and I are currently building a custom display case to maximize the amount of space I have to display on, but it will never be enough.

Therefore, the method I've used for many years which will continue to serve me well even after the new case is built is this:

That which I consider the essential pieces of my MotU collection, be they MotUC, 200X, vintage, etc, are set up permanently on the display. This does require a lot of thought, decision making, and changes as new items are released which trump old ones.

Part of the display is dedicated to everything else. I display some of the rest of the collection on these shelves, and rotate out the contents of this part of the display every 3-4 months or so, packing away what was on the display in favor of things which were packed away for a while.

Using this method, I get to enjoy all of my MotU collection, without driving my beloved GF crazy.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    My loose display is completely filled. The Wind Raider and Swiftwind dominated all the rest of my space. I recently made lots of new room for my carded display but I'm thinking I may have to start combining loose and packaged in the same room because I'm completely out of space on the loose display. Even if I remove the Wind Raider and Swift wind my loose display wont survive 2012
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

I've been running out of space since around 2009! All my MOTUC stuff is in my bedroom. I may just have to box my vintage and 200x stuff sometime soon to allocate the space for upcoming items.

I have a closet in my "man cave" room that is about 38 inches wide with three shelves....and it is already packed full of classics figures

Trying to move stuff around but I am clearly out of room. Need to come up with additional shelves I guess

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Space is getting to be a major factor across the board for me, but MOTUC is a major part of it. I had to box up my Bandai Teen Titans to make room for Swifty and the Raider, and where the heck Granamyr is going to wind up is as yet an unsolved mystery. I think I've got enough room set aside now for most of this year's stuff (although a second beast like the Griffin would throw that off). Much as I'd love more vehicles, I'm almost relieved that we aren't getting one this year.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    Yeah while i am still working it out I am thinking of using those wall mount train display type cases to hold all my figs. they are expensive but they should be pretty permanent and i won't have to worry about dust or lighting it either. Part of the reason they are still in their plastic prisons still. Hopeing that 2012 is the year that i can unleash them in a week long unpackaging gala. I used to use open air shelves but with kids and pets and remodelling the stuff that was out paid a price and some things still need dusting. I want stuff where i can dust it periodically and not have to worry about resetting up stuff that has fallen on a near daily basis. My wife don't care for the figures or anything so they will be in a basement man cave still under construction.

Part of it for me is going to have sections for specific lines but i would also like to have room to get hot toys and the voltron lions and not have to worry too much about space. it would be tragic with the space i am fortunate to have to not display everything possible. No point collecting them if they spend years in boxes out of view and not being appreciated.
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I favor the "stick it in a box" approach.
    Me too. My collection is about to spill into a third plastic tub. It is getting to be an issue.

Space seems to be an issue for everyone, myself included! I collect both MOC and I am an opener! In my "man cave" I have display shelves full of comic and figure goodness, while my two storage spaces are full of MOC figures, (mostly import figures and MOTUC...) I buy two of almost every figure I collect, and in MOTUC case, sometimes three! Soon my wife will start to threaten me with a divorce, lol! I just can't stop though. MOTUC is just too awesome!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Space is HUGE issue to me but I just keep cramming mor and more in my cloth closet cause all the rest of my other spaces are full at the moment with other stuff.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Its becoming an issue in a big way.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Yeah, its getting to be an issue for sure. I've pretty much filled my MOTUC case and I don't even have beasts or giants displayed!

Eternian Paparazzo prince.nothing's Avatar
    I have been collecting this line since Scareglow. Since then I have always taken two subs - one figure to keep MOC and another to open. I also managed to get two of the figures I missed so now I have almost all the figures in the line except the special KGs and Queen Marlena. I have my loose figures stored in a box and the MOC figures stored in their white mailers in a walk in closet.

Of late my wife has been complaining of the amount of space my figures take. What do other MOC collectors do? How do you store/display your MOC figures?

Heroic Warrior
    I new space was going to be an issue from the get go. That's why I sold and am currently selling my old collections of 200x motu, batman and x-men figures. So far it isn't much of an issue. I can fit most of my collection on two shelves comfortably. It may get worse by the end of the year. I'm thinking of putting some away and switching up the display with different characters every now and then. I think you appreciate them more when you not seeing a bagillion characters at once. Probably start setting up battle scenes. I'm also considering keeping future figures on nails and hang them up on my wall. I kind of miss having a wall of figures. I used to have my entire motu collection on the wall from the 200x line. I think you should change displays every now and then. Once in a blue moon, pull all your figures out and stand them up in a battle scene in your living room and take a picture.

HUGE issue for me. I currently have 2 IKEA Detolfs dedicated to MOTU (the other two are for Doctor WHo) and it doesn't take long for them to get crowded, even with pieces to "raise" the figures in the back. Add in beasts and it gets crazier. We're in a fairly small apartment right now, so I don't have a ton of space. I hope before too long I'll be in a house and can have a room dedicated to my toy collection so I can buy more Detolfs... because MOTUC is going to be a enormous collection when all is said and done if they get to everyone they want to.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Same boat. I have them all jammed loose on closet shelves right now. Hoping to buy a house in the future, and with space for the collection to stratch out--my addiction to Army Builders is what is killing me though...I would gain a whole shelf -- 40 figures if I just would pack away my army builders. (I made a couple of cutom army builders in addition to the royal guards, I do NOT have 40 royal guards)
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Eternian Paparazzo prince.nothing's Avatar
    I think its time I consider selling the MOC figures with which I dont have a childhood connection.

I've been creatively rearranging my collection for the past few months but I had to finally make the decision to store my 200X and my extensive vintage MOTU and POP collections (which was not an easy decision as I just acquired a mint loose Shower Power Catra!). Now I just have my MOTUC MOC on the wall and a table filled with my loose MOTUC in my bedroom.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Considering my entire collection of all lines combined? Space is a very big issue considering I am a MOC collector, (sorry Brian), however as far as just MOTUC goes I just put up many shelves to display my MOC collection and will be putting up many more as the line progresses. Mind you the dimensions of the wall are 17 feet high by 15 feet wide, I got some wiggle room, with cathedral ceilings. OMG I just realized, I live in a modern day castle greyskull.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Snappy Threader
    Space is not problem for me because I am boxing everything EXCEPT MOTUC and it is all going to be hitting ebay.

I am in the same boat, I have a large display case for classics, and two Power Con display cases holding my statues, Bust and 200x. When the Griffon arrives, I will have no room for him in the classics display. So I will have no choice but to pack up my 200x display, and next year my bust and statues. Unless I breakdown and turn my guest bedroom into a Masters room, then I will be fine. But I have not come to that yet.

It is a big enough issue that I am forced to cherry pick. I could never actually buy them all since I would never be able to display them.

Japanese apartments aren't very big and my collection is quite bunched up. I can only two a segregation of three groups. Preternia on the top shelf, forces of good in the middle and forces of evil at the bottom.

Space is always an issue. Hopefully after this year with the extra 30th line, things will be easier to deal with, with less of an influx of characters. 22 figures +2 beast+1 3 pack+1 2 pack+ Granamyr+ Weapons Pack + SM stands + SDCC + TOD sorceress + Whatever else they decide to drop (i.e. bubble power shera). Am I missing anything?

Space will soon be an issue again...

Heroic Warrior
    It's a big issue. My wife and I have a decent sized unit in a two family house, but pretty much all collectibles are confined to our home office/study, which is lined with shelves. I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff (for a number of reasons), but partially because I just don't have the space to deal with the clutter.

MOTUC and DCUC get the most amount of space in there, but I'm already at crisis-point for anything except figures. I have no room to display the Wind Raider, so it's staying in its box for now, and I don't know what I'm going to do about Granamyr.

I should be OK for room for the figures for at least another year, but they're filling up. I have five shelves: Masters, Evil Warriors, POP/Horde, NA & Preternia (incl. Snake Men), and variants/beasts. The Masters and the Beasts shelves are going to be at saturation point by the summer, I think!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."