Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyrim Addicts Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    there are pots and enchantments (on items) that raise your abilities, however, afaik, there's no "INT" ability (at least, not one you can raise - and there's no pot or enchantment that add to INT).

when you level, you can raise your Magika (which i believe increases your pool of magika and i THINK something else to do with magic, but I'm not totally sure), health, and stamina (which lets you sprint, use power attacks in melee, and raises your carrying capacity). there are item enchantments, pots, and even blessings that raise all of these.

there are also things to raise sub-categories of those. for example, something that raises ONLY your carrying capacity.

now, in addition to all that when you level you get a point to spend on a perk. perk's include smithing, one-handed weapons, enchanting, destruction (spells category), etc. each perk spent in one of those trees gives you an additional ability or something. for example, if you buy the first one-handed weapon perk, you get plus 20% to one-handed weapon damage. i think the first smithing perk allows you to make steel armors and weapons (while the last one allows you make dragonplate armors). there are pots and enchantments that raise these as well.

so you could use a pot to increase your enchanting and enchant at a higher level for a small amount of time.

i'm the same way. thankfully, you can switch from FP to third person. On the 360 and PS3, you click/press the right(?) joystick. it won't let you do it immediately though. you have to get through about 10 minutes of the game (most of which you can't really do anything - you can look around, but you can't decide where you move; then a bit after that (i think once you learn how to jump you can switch).

i switch to FP when i'm looting shelves as it's easier to aim at items that are out in the open...especially when they are packed tight together (like books).
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrinedog View Post
    You can change the view from first person to third.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up! when I can spare the cash I'm going to get this! (MOTUC takes priority )
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    So who else is addicted to making their own equipment all the way from mining for ore and hunting animals for pelts - to the actual creating of ingots and leather / strips - to creating the weapon / armour - to enchanting them with soul gems - to upgrading them at workbenches and grindstones?

Sure stuff you make may not be as powerful as some stuff you find on your travels but I think it a more personal touch when you are adventuring
    if i see an ore vein (which is extremely rare in comparison to say WoW), I'll go ahead and mine it, and I'll take all skins i get from wolves, bears, etc which are plentiful, but i bought most of my ingots and a lot of leather.

btw, if you are a smith and aren't past dwarven yet, before you go to a dwarven place, go to a smelter and make note of the items needed to make dwarven ingots. 1 small metal plate (found on a mob) will produce 3 ingots and they only weigh 2 lbs each to carry (the plates). the one that produces 5 ingots weighs 25 lbs. that's a bit high.

also, if you haven't gotten daedric armor yet, make sure you keep any daedra ears. you'll need them for crafting. daedra armor is better (tho weighs a bit more) than dragonplate. of course all you need for dragonplate is dragon bones and scales which you should have tons of by the time you skill smithing to 100.

I'm hoping future DLC will allow you to create and enchant Bows, Arrows, Magic Staffs and Mage's Robes
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I might actually get somewhere in this game if someone can help me out.

I'm only lvl 5 and I'm standing in Whiterun.

I have a misc. quest "Give the Frost Salts to Arcadia". On the quest screen it says show on map, press x. I do that and it shows me Whiterun. I stand at the entrance and use my clairvoyance spell, which shows me the path to my current goal. If I stand outside Whiterun and use it it shows me to go in the front gate. Ok, so I go in the front gate. I use the spell again inside Whiterun and it shows me the path to go back out the gate I just came into. That is the only quest I am tracking.

Does the Clairvoyance Spell show you the path to a quest you are tracking or does it make up it's own goals. All I'm getting is "your goal is to keep walking in and out of the main gate and look like an idiot while you stare at the loading screen"
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I don't have the Clairvoyance spell so no idea how it works but if you have the Frost Salts then just go give them to Arcadia at "Arcadia's Cauldron" which is a shop in Whiterun next to those little stalls

When I started the game I tried to be Pruzah but now I am a vokul tahrodiis tafiir known for his nax towards the many Sahsunaar of Taazokaan. Why?... because Daar Los Pruzah
    Last edited by wolfsfang; January 9, 2012 at 11:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post

I have a misc. quest "Give the Frost Salts to Arcadia". On the quest screen it says show on map, press x. I do that and it shows me Whiterun. I stand at the entrance and use my clairvoyance spell, which shows me the path to my current goal. If I stand outside Whiterun and use it it shows me to go in the front gate. Ok, so I go in the front gate. I use the spell again inside Whiterun and it shows me the path to go back out the gate I just came into. That is the only quest I am tracking.

Does the Clairvoyance Spell show you the path to a quest you are tracking or does it make up it's own goals. All I'm getting is "your goal is to keep walking in and out of the main gate and look like an idiot while you stare at the loading screen"
    There could be a couple of reasons for this. Occasionally I have found the compass marker can get borked when using an alternative exit to one that the compass likes, but that's only temporary in most cases. Another reason is that quests like gathering salts have no set destination. Ultimately the quest will conclude in Whiterun, when you give Arcadia the salts, but apart from that, you are on your own. You will need to either find a frost atronach or stumble across some salts in a dungeon or even buy some from somewhere else and then return them to her. Unlike most quests which point directly to your goal, ingredient gathering expects you to go out and find some in your travels.

Happy hunting.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

speaking of Atronachs I must have killed at least 30 Fire ones and not a single one has left behind some Fire Salts and I need to find 10. I have managed to find 8 by stealing from ppl or on shelves in dungeons / ruins but it is strange that despite all the Atronachs I have defeated I haven't gotten a single one from them.

yeah, if you have the item (and it sounds like you do based on the quest name), once you are inside whiterun (just inside the gate), run straight up the road to the market. once you reach the market, you'll see some stairs to your left, the inn is straight ahead and just to the right of the inn is arcadia's caluldron. go in there and give her the item.

if you do not have the item (quest says "0/1"), then you'll have to hunt down a frost atronachs (something i can't recall ever seeing out in the wild), find some, steal some, or buy some from another vendor (maybe try the previous village).

a frost atronach is something a mage can summon, so (and i've never tried this) you could potentially summon one, kill it, and then take it's salts.

speaking of Atronachs I must have killed at least 30 Fire ones and not a single one has left behind some Fire Salts and I need to find 10. I have managed to find 8 by stealing from ppl or on shelves in dungeons / ruins but it is strange that despite all the Atronachs I have defeated I haven't gotten a single one from them.
    that's weird. i find fire salts on every one. i also need to find 10. i have 6 atm. not in a great hurry to finish that quest though.

find some fire mages - they will summon those fire dudes and when you kill them they drop fire salts...at least, they do for me.

I'm hoping future DLC will allow you to create and enchant Bows, Arrows, Magic Staffs and Mage's Robes
    i'm pretty sure you can enchant clothes. i think i did it once when i had some in my inventory. i know you can enchant bows, cause i've done it.

does anyone know what the point of chopping wood is? i thought maybe there was a way to create bows or arrows, but i never found anyone or any device to do it.
    Last edited by EldestSon; January 10, 2012 at 09:42am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I've got a question about the game, is it FP point of view? I have a hard time adjusting to that view, but I REALLY want this game. so if its strictly FP POV how long does it really take to acclimate to it?
    this was on my mind before i got fallout 3. when i started playing, i stuck with third person view as soon as it let me switch to it, but after a few hours i just found it easier to play in first person. the only time i would switch to third person was when i would explore the overworld. and the same has been true with skyrim. if i'm walking around outside, i'll jump into third person occasionally. but any time spent in a building or cave, it's first person all the way.

So who else is addicted to making their own equipment all the way from mining for ore and hunting animals for pelts - to the actual creating of ingots and leather / strips - to creating the weapon / armour - to enchanting them with soul gems - to upgrading them at workbenches and grindstones?

Sure stuff you make may not be as powerful as some stuff you find on your travels but I think it a more personal touch when you are adventuring
    once i started accumulating all the right stuff, it's been smithing all the way. at first i would find equipment that was better than anything i could make, but soon enough it was all junk. the only time i would use anything i found would be if it was something like elven or orcish gear, where i didn't have the skill to create them. now that i've finally reached 100 smithing, i just keep gear to sell it or to see if there are any enchantments i can learn.

can't you already enchant bows? i agree with the other things though. well, i mostly just want to disenchant staffs.

i don't fully understand how that spell works either. i mostly just use it when i'm having trouble finding a new location. every other time i just open up the map and look for the quest marker.

that hasn't happened to me. atronachs always leave behind salts. sometimes draugrs and vampires don't drop bone meal and vampire dust, but the atronachs have always left behind salts. i didn't think to try it myself, but can you summon a flame atronach and then kill it to harvest fire salts?

does anyone know what the point of chopping wood is? i thought maybe there was a way to create bows or arrows, but i never found anyone or any device to do it.
    i think it's just to get money. same with farmers that pay you to harvest their crops. it definitely isn't worth the time since you can make money faster by completing questing and selling loot, not to mention work towards leveling up, but i guess it adds to the immersion?
    Last edited by mightybuck; January 10, 2012 at 10:01am.

btw, has anyone ever noticed that when you are searching for a dungeon, a fox will appear and sort of lead you right up to it? this has happened to me on a number of occassions. i'll be running along trying to figure out a way up a mountain or something, i'll see a fox, who looks back at me and then starts running. i follow the fox right to the location i'm searching for.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
    can't you already enchant bows? i agree with the other things though. well, i mostly just want to disenchant staffs.
    Enchant Bows...probably (tho I have never tried) but I would like to be able to make one as well, perhaps out of all that wood I have chopped

btw, has anyone ever noticed that when you are searching for a dungeon, a fox will appear and sort of lead you right up to it? this has happened to me on a number of occassions. i'll be running along trying to figure out a way up a mountain or something, i'll see a fox, who looks back at me and then starts running. i follow the fox right to the location i'm searching for.
    Yep, they do that. It's been documented on the elder scrolls wikis as well.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

I never figured out how the Clairvoyance spell works. I found its easier to mark the quest in my journal and then pull up the local map and use it to get to quest destinations.

If you have to many objectives checked clairvoyance may not work correctly. You can make make and enchant bows with regular smithing, to make a staff you need to get your conjure up high to be able to use the atronoc forge under the Mage college. You also can make daedra weapons and armor from it as well as scrolls and unbound atronochs. Hope that helps. I've found the daedric artifacts are better than any daedra weapon you might smith without exploiting the games alchemy smithing and enchanting. If you want an arrow to have a particular property, apply a potion to it.

Heroic Warrior
    To those asking, the purpose of cutting wood is to sell it to the people who run the Lumber Mills.

Rumors are, at one point the wood cutting was going to be an element of making arrows; I wish it would've made it into the final game.

Also, soul gem fragments, another worthless item other than to sell. I also wish they had a use in jewelry enchantments or something.

I think it would be nice if you had more choice when it comes to smithing such as if creating a sword being able to choose from different styles of handles and blades to adding decorative stuff like jewels are runic writing on the blade or handle.

Of course other items you can create could also have stuff to choose from

I think it would be nice if you had more choice when it comes to smithing such as if creating a sword being able to choose from different styles of handles and blades to adding decorative stuff like jewels are runic writing on the blade or handle.

Of course other items you can create could also have stuff to choose from
    Indeed, that would be fun; sadly, I spend enough game time selling, buy and creating stuff, I still wish I had back most of the smithing perks back to utilize into more useful combat perks (you'll find plenty of the ebony, elven, ork, and dwemer and glass weapons and armor later on anyway). I think the limitations of the PS3 and Xbox, and probably most of us consumers who don't want to spend over a grand on a PC or Mac forced them to limit what went into the game (as did production). The game is already stuffed to the max, so much so, that many bugs and gliches made it into the final product. I imagine some of those things were considered and left out to allow in some of the aspects of the game we take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Also, soul gem fragments, another worthless item other than to sell. I also wish they had a use in jewelry enchantments or something.
    i've been meaning to ask about that for a while. i'll be passing them up from now on.

i was going to ask a question regarding volumes of books, particularly "songs of the return", when i found this: the imperial library. now instead of wasting precious game time reading books/wondering if i have a complete series, i can read all the books from all the elder scrolls games at my leisure. this will not stop me from being some weirdo book thief however.
    Last edited by mightybuck; January 13, 2012 at 11:25am.

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Indeed, that would be fun; sadly, I spend enough game time selling, buy and creating stuff, I still wish I had back most of the smithing perks back to utilize into more useful combat perks (you'll find plenty of the ebony, elven, ork, and dwemer and glass weapons and armor later on anyway). I think the limitations of the PS3 and Xbox, and probably most of us consumers who don't want to spend over a grand on a PC or Mac forced them to limit what went into the game (as did production). The game is already stuffed to the max, so much so, that many bugs and gliches made it into the final product. I imagine some of those things were considered and left out to allow in some of the aspects of the game we take for granted.
    i thought about that too, but you can get up to 80 perks and that seems to be plenty to me. as it is, since i'm just a one hand/shield or dual wield tank, i really don't need that many perks for combat. i'm working on enchanting and lockpicking (you can get more gold and better treasure from chests).

Supposedly, there are geodes in the dwemer ruins where soul gems can be mined? Has anyone come across this? I need a ton of grand gems for enchanting and common & greater gems for charging weapons.

I was hording the fragments; I finally got tired of them in the item list in one of my many chest and sold them off last night. I also finally put all of my jewels, gold and silver to use and broke all of the merchants that might buy them in white run, marcarth (man that place is cool but twisted), and riften for a few in-game days. I am a few solid quest that require dungeon diving from getting the 100,000 achievement.

After weeks of play there are still many areas of the map and locations I've yet to explore and discover. And I still find myself stopping and taking in the scenery in some areas.

I discovered a bug on the 360 consoles (might be on ps3 too) while playing the game in party with a bunch of friends too: On a thieves guild quest, there will be a part that will become unplayable due to lag and terrible frame rate. Save, dashboard from the game, re-start the game, and load your save; the problem should be gone.

Last night, I finally great tired of staring at elven and glass then upgraded both my follower to dragon plate armor and my character to dragon scale (usually just use gauntlets and boots but carry the torso piece with health and armor enchantments on it just in case I get in a thick close quarters weapon brawl).
    Last edited by Southzen; January 13, 2012 at 02:12pm.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    I was playing yesterday morning and I became a werewolf! Yay me!

First to make a team Jacob reference takes an arrow in the knee and a chop to the throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor's Only Fan View Post
    I was playing yesterday morning and I became a werewolf! Yay me!

First to make a team Jacob reference takes an arrow in the knee and a chop to the throat.
    Now that you're a werewolf, you can't become a vampire.

I'm the bad guy. Stinkor's Only Fan's Avatar
    So I can't become glittery and brooding? NOOOOO!!!!!! damn it! What have I done!!!

Well Werewolves are better than vampires anyway so good choice