Thread: Do the New Adventures have a greek mythology connection?

Do the New Adventures have a greek mythology connection?

Do the New Adventures have a Greek mythology connection or is it just a coincidence?

Icarius, the original and International name for Flipshot, with his flying abilities is clearly a reference to Icarus, son of Daedalus who flew to close to the sun. Though coincidently there are actually two characters in Greek Myth with the name Icarius, see this thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=130349

Tatarus, the International and presumably the original name for Kayo, I've always though this was a reference to Tartarus, the lowest level of the underworld in Geek mythology.

Sagitar, who is clearly based on a Centaur and can only be a reference to Sagittarius, a Centaur in Geek mythology, immortalized in a constellation of the same name.

Darius, leader of the Galactic Guardians and Master of Weapons, is this a reference to Darius the Persian king who invaded ancient Greece.

Ok that last one might actually be a coincidence but I'm positive my first three examples are inspired by their Greek mythological counterparts.

Does anybody have any information this?
    Is there any thing in the Power and Honour book about it (I'm not sure if there's any NA in the Power and Honour book at all)?
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

They really dont say much about the NA in the power and honor book. They show a couple of sketches and show one killer looking new concept for he-man. They show alot more about what the new line would have been...a he-man goes g.i. joe toy line. Im sure glad that never went through.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Do the New Adventures have a Greek mythology connection or is it just a coincidence?

Icarius, the original and International name for Flipshot, with his flying abilities is clearly a reference to Icarus, son of Daedalus who flew to close to the sun. Though coincidently there are actually two characters in Greek Myth with the name Icarius, see this thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=130349

Tatarus, the International and presumably the original name for Kayo, I've always though this was a reference to Tartarus, the lowest level of the underworld in Geek mythology.

Sagitar, who is clearly based on a Centaur and can only be a reference to Sagittarius, a Centaur in Geek mythology, immortalized in a constellation of the same name.

Darius, leader of the Galactic Guardians and Master of Weapons, is this a reference to Darius the Persian king who invaded ancient Greece.

Ok that last one might actually be a coincidence but I'm positive my first three examples are inspired by their Greek mythological counterparts.

Does anybody have any information this?
    Is there any thing in the Power and Honour book about it (I'm not sure if there's any NA in the Power and Honour book at all)?
    That's a very incisive observation.

I am, and always have been, a huge fan of Greek and Roman mythology (There was a time when I could tell you every god's tree) and also Greek and Roman history -- particularly military history. I've written and published numerous stories that have a mythology parallel. One of my favorites, many years ago, was about a hunter in the woods who encounters a woman also out hunting who ends up making him the hunted. Her name was Diana.

As many here already know, I'm a spiritual guy and drew heavily on Christian theology and storylines for NA, even though I tried not to bang everyone over the head with it until someone here finally 'demanded' to know what Primus was. In my mind -- as answered in the Primus Revealed thread -- Primus was Heaven and the battle between He-man and Skeletor was similar to the battle for heaven in Revelations. (Enough about that as the mods have been gracious enough to allow me to touch on a few religious matters here so long as it's just in reference to content and not expressing an opinion, which more correctly belongs in The Tar Swamp.)

To answer your question, I absolutely and consciously drew from mythology in some instances. The old axiom "Write about what you know" holds true, so my knowledge of mythology provided good research and character development for me. While I can't claim Tartarus, your general speculations are correct and if you look more closely in individual stories you will find even more...especially in relationship to classical Greek and Roman heroes and gods and how some of the battle scenes and military campaigns play out.

What I occasionally did was make the story of NA a sort of loose combination of mythology and Christianity, again without making it heavy handed. I think anyone -- believer or non-believer -- will agree that the Bible and Greek and Roman mythology possess some of the greatest stories ever told and greatest characters that ever walked. So as a way of paying homage to them and -- yes -- making my job a little easier -- I chose to draw upon them from time to time.

And now you've hit upon that fact. So, well done.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 30, 2011 at 02:51pm.

There does seem to be a more spiritual element in this series. I'm watching it thru, currently watching episode 16, but I have seen the Festival of the Tri-Sun Light(name) be interpreted by Adam as being symbolic of a higher power. Also, the Sorceress guiding him from beyond, and then she uses the Jedi Mind trick "These are not the droids you are looking for..."
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/