Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you regret investing into MOTUC?

Do you regret investing into MOTUC?

Im about to complete my first large MOTUC purchase. For nearly 2 years I shut out certain areas of the org/threads because they seemed oversaturated with frustrations and complaints.

It seems that this pricey premium collector's line is peppered with issues from production to shipping, and the list goes on and on. It also seems there is no end to the problems and errors. Like backwards legs on Swiftwind. That's a tad irksome for a $30 plastic horse. One would think that this late in the game, mistakes like this would not happen.

While personally, I refuse to gripe over things like damaged bubbles (shipping dings happen), character selection (I simply don't have to buy the ones I don't want) even if I feel some are utterly stupid, there are some things I am concerned about. Such as...

Most recently I read that 2012 will have no reissues of previous figures. Is this true? If none of the 2012 releases include a reissue, does that mean I can kiss Webstor good bye forever? If I didn't get a sub for Shadoweaver, is there NO chance outside of EBAY that I will ever get her? Any news on Grannamyr? Is he confirmed for 2012?

At this point, are you regretting MOTUC? Or will you continue to purchase this line and hope enough fan demand might help to fix these issues?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 31, 2011 at 07:11pm.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Shadow Weaver was the sub exclusive. She wasn't going to be "reissued" anyways, as that would have alienated the people who purchased the dub due to her exclusivity/limited availability as incentive.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    To me im not investing in motuc as i purchase 2 of each character, loose and display, i wont sell these at all, will pass them down the family line before i sell them, i have to admit ive been lucky with defects (touch wood) besides some paint apps, overall good.

Catra was a disappointment with the soft hand and weapons were stuffed but ive got more positives then negatives. A few Aussies got "the original" starburst on her but i didnt (hate those things) and i was lucky with Swiftwinds legs.

For me what i love about the motuc is the characters we never recieved before are now coming to life, im embracing the 30th Anniversary characters, i now there is human error involved which sucks, i guess this is why they have the replacment stock. I wish they were able to recall the Hiss and Roboto but in all reality if they did would it kill the line

The classics are an expensive line to collect especially when you start buying multiples or even have to pay international shipping and some countries/states taxes on top of that, but thats why we collect motuc and motu products for the love of the line and childhood memories it brings back.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Im with lorde trooper. While it is getting very expensive, to me its worth every penny. I can stare at them for hours. One day ill work up enough cash to get a loose collection.

I actually ignored this line until march of 2011.. I thought the figures looked great online, but swore I wouldn't get wrapped up in them. In march i was walking through TRU and seen the skelly vs lex 2 pack and bought it. When I opened it up and had skeletor in my hands I was instantly hooked!! Since march I have gotten all caught up except for hurricane hordak, pre eternia he-man, and ba he-man...

I decided to collect this line loose and to put them all behind glass in curio cabinates. I have even gone as far as building custom display cases for these figs.. I have designated my entire home office to MOTU.. since march I have spent in excess of 2k getting caught up on motuc and on cabinates and such..

I love this line. My wife enjoys looking at it, she can even call the figures by name now! Even my 16 and 11 year olds get a kick out of it... Friends see it and its an automatic discussion of the ol' days... This line is amazing to me personaly.

Despite its issues with swiftys legs (mine was perfect) and reversed shoulders and such I have been lucky.. I have only had the reversed shoulder issues.. w/ hiss and roboto...

I have no regrets, and signed up for the 2012 sub, and 30th sub..
    While matty has tried my patience a couple times I again have been fortunate in dealing with them....

MOTU is all I collect, I am looking VERY forward to the new year and figures it brings.. even the star sisters, and the mighty spector... Lol!!!

So absolutely no regrets on my end..

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    ***This is fact with a bit of opinion sprinkled on.

1) Starting with Hurricane Hordak and Leech, production numbers will decrease for all figures released. Mattel will also stop issuing re-releases. They have NOT said anything for the figures that came BEFORE Hurricane Hordak and Leech. Recently Mattel announced that CORE characters will be re-released throughout 2012---I am uncertain if that would include Webstor or not---but he seems fairly CORE to me.

2) While this version of Shadow Weaver is the 2012 exclusive, I suspect that we will see a VARIANT version someday down the pike--they will almost have to if they expand the line with a new movie or TV property.

3)Granamyr has been confirmed for 2012. He will be $80 USD (or more) and become available after SDCC .

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    My only regret is that I don't have enough space left to display it all.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

I don't have any regrets so to speak...I've been upset by some QC issues and the customer service end of things with Mattel and DR, but the toys themselves are amazing. I wish the headaches I mentioned didn't come with them, but I love MOTU so much I just put up with it.
    SKELETORTILLA...Evil Painter of MOTU
    My DeviantArt page http://dwaynepinkney.deviantart.com/
    Available for commissions

No regrets!

I'm looking at a huge Wind Raider that arrived today. My investment and many, many others made this possible.

And aside from the valid frustrations of those with goofy Swiftwind legs, the fact that a modern Swiftwind exists is unreal to me.

Sure, there are problems along the way, but this line works in such an interesting way that the release of each figure becomes a small event of its own! I find that really fun and at the end of the day, there's not a single item that I regret buying.

I imagine Webstor can be reissued, but he's not particularly expensive. If you look around or have something to trade, you can probably get him for not a whole lot more than cost + shipping from Matty would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    My only regret is that I don't have enough space left to display it all.
    I have most of mine stored away for the time being. One day I dream of having my own MOTU room. One day...one fine day...

my son plays with most of my loose vintage and 200x figs. Whenever he loses a weapon or someone's armor i start pulling my hair out. Nobody eats until we find that!!!!
    Last edited by crashdiary27; December 31, 2011 at 09:31pm.

I really don't. What's not to like?

I regret not starting when it started. I resisted because the second hand market was so expensive, and I didn't realize that the real prices are NOT the same. I just couldn't imagine paying $50 a month for 1 action figure...I didn't know I could order online without being a member.
    No more stuff for sell, all donated, done!
    I still need MOTUC: Strobos, King Grayskull, Wun-Dar, and Preternia He-Man
    Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2544672215/

No regrets, I only buy all the ones I really want. which includes all motu, pop, and concepts. No NA or 30th figures at this time because I have no connection to them.

No regrets whatsoever. The biggest investment I've made in MOTUC is the emotional investment, and the return on it is priceless!

no regrets here, i love this line... absolute best line going right now IMO.
    my feedback thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=218428

selling off my entire motu classics collection, here's a link to one of my auctions..... check out my other items 43 auctions total.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/120886470944...84.m1555.l2649

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    ***This is fact with a bit of opinion sprinkled on.

1) Starting with Hurricane Hordak and Leech, production numbers will decrease for all figures released. Mattel will also stop issuing re-releases. They have NOT said anything for the figures that came BEFORE Hurricane Hordak and Leech. Recently Mattel announced that CORE characters will be re-released throughout 2012---I am uncertain if that would include Webstor or not---but he seems fairly CORE to me.

2) While this version of Shadow Weaver is the 2012 exclusive, I suspect that we will see a VARIANT version someday down the pike--they will almost have to if they expand the line with a new movie or TV property.

3)Granamyr has been confirmed for 2012. He will be $80 USD (or more) and become available after SDCC .
    Man-E-Faces was the first figure to not get a re-issue

And production numbers are lowered starting with Sorceress in 2012...although Sorceress will get a slightly higher run....

Mattel stated that re-issues of figures prior to Man-E-Faces would come out in 2012...not just core characters..Faker and Ba Skeletor are not core, and are January's re-issues.

Core characters will be available year round

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    .....If none of the 2012 releases include a reissue, does that mean I can kiss Webstor good bye forever? ......

At this point, are you regretting MOTUC? Or will you continue to purchase this line and hope enough fan demand might help to fix these issues?
    Webstor still may be re-issued...just watch and see..January alone has 3 re-issues..maybe this will be a trend for the rest of the year.

And I don't regret at all what figures I bought, I love them all....although I have been picky with which characters I bought....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 1, 2012 at 01:36am.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

No regrets. Best toy line of all time for me.

This is it! This is the moment!

Zero regrets.

Now if they'll just announce Castle Grayskull already.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    No regrets, greatest action figures ever!

No regrets, only wish Mattel would scale back a bit to not break us. But could not be happier, will gladly keep paying as long as the line is going because imho its the greatest most diverse toy line since the original.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I'm with Markatisu too. I'm in the "All In" club and I enjoy all the figures in the line, but I think Matty has over-extended themselves. I think two packs were a great idea if they were to be done once a year. The three packs were a mistake. The Star Sisters should have been single releases and placed strategically within the year.

This is not popular, but Granamyr is a mistake. He's going to be too big and expensive. He's not going to sell.

I do think the 30th anniversary figures are a good idea. They should have included some better names attached to MOTU in the figure creations though. I would asked Roger Sweet (The creator of MOTU) to make one more figure. The 4H of course made a great figure. Toyguru is ok, I suppose. The fan choice is fine, but we all know its going to be criticized and nitpicked to death.

I think the line needs to be scaled back somewhat. Take out the three packs. Nothing expensive. 1 two pack a year. 1 vehicle a year. 2 beasts a year. 4 variant figures. Standard 12 figures a years. And for 2012 only, the 30th Anniversary Line. Keep it like that.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I do for this year's sub. I really don't care for Shadow Weaver (who should have been part of the regular sub and not the exclusive) or the stupid Star Sisters. I really don't remember why i made the decision to buy the 2012 sub...but i sure do regret it. Though Kobra Khan and Stinkor do ease my pain a bit.

No regrets for me. Most issues are minor (I did get the Swift Wind leg problem and Hssss & Roboto shoulders, but oh well), so I'm not gonna complain. I personally am just happy to have a new faction of the MOTU universe in my home. I've been collecting these toys since I was a baby (quite literally; I have a He-Man from 1981--my birth year--that my mother bought for me, though she always claimed it was hers). I hope we get every character possible in this line from toy repeats (80's line, NAHM, 200x), to the never-before-seen, and from the ads, cartoons & movies that were never done but wanted. Do I care what order they come in? No. I just want them.

When I first saw the line, I thought it was excellent, but I was only going to collect He-Man. Then they released He-Ro and I sought after him. Those were going to be the only two I would collect from MOTUC. Then came Adora. That was it for me. I got her, then started back-collecting my favorites that had already been released. I've got a few doubles (one of each He-Ro with different gems; an SDCC purple even!), and have been collecting every since. I got the full-in 2012 Sub (reg & 30th) and am glad I did. It's the first subscription I've bought, and though I'm low on room, I'm hoping to change that soon (need to redecorate/remodel part of a room and set it up specifically for my MOTU collection--all of it all together from MOTU, POP, NAHM, Commemorative, MYP, Stactions, and MOTUC) so that they can all be together.
    Last edited by Mistico; January 1, 2012 at 02:50am.
    From my youth and hometown when I was a kid...He-Matt and the Masters of the Kunaverse!

My feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=214152
    My customs thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=215292
    My B/S/T thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ings-For-Sale!

No regrets either. I think the only thing i come close to regretting is that i wish the line started earlier than in 2009...

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    No regrets, but im definatly falling out of the line. Too much nonsensical stuff on the horizon and poor quality of the figures. Cant pay 30 bucks for junk.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael