Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Watchmen comic prequels and sequels

Upcoming Watchmen comic prequels and sequels

I just got to know about quite some past news; something that seemed to be no more mere than internet rumors: DC is working on Watchmen prequels, possible sequels and tie-in's with their upcoming "Multiversity" cross-over event.

Apparently, there shall be 4 prequels mini series, each of them focusing on a particular character, and these are now some rare sketches to find with art from Andy (and Joe) Kubert and J.G. Jones

Other people that seems to be involved are Darwyn Cooke, Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely & Joseph Michael Straczynski among others.

Personally I think that an "Alan Moore-less" Watchmen universe exploration is pointless. Even with an out of this world chance of Moore's involvement, final product could be something slightly above "regular every Wednesday's comics" good.
    Although, I cannot avoid feeling curious about it, but I fear how DC shall tear apart their most celebrated superhero graphic novel.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

It looks like they are trying hard, especially with that line up of creators, but this has the potential to be just like the prequel trilogy in Star Wars. In other words, it could diminish the legacy of work that has been held in high regard for a long period of time

Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about this?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

eeh. It will be average to above average.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I think it will be good, but just not Alan Moore good. I'd love to see these characters in the Frank Quitely style. I am very interested to see what they do.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Totally dreading this. Really hope it doesn't happen.
    Visit Miraclemen.Info : The Miracleman Archive. Website assistance & fan submissions encouraged/welcomed.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=168456

Well I utterly hated Watchmen so I do not think this will be any good either
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

No Alan Moore = no Watchmen.

Yes it's that simple. I don't care who DC throws on these projects.

I'm not an Alan Moore "mark" by any means, he has put out good and bad stuff in his career, but this is pathetic.

PLEASE don't let Morrison anywhere near these characters. Hasn't he done enough damage to the DCU already?

Man somethings are just better left alone...Didnt they learn that from Dark Knight Returns the sequel?
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Dc announces “before Watchmen”

Its official - DC comics will be publishing new Watchmen comics set before the main series

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02...hmen%e2%80%9d/

Here is a list of the comics being released:

•RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo
    •MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
    •COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones
    •DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes
    •NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert
    •OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee
    •SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

*UPDATE* see the covers here http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02...fore-watchmen/

What does everyone make of this? Do we need additional stories or should it be left as is?

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

I think its a bad idea. But I love the creators on the books (except for Straczynski, but he's probably OK for miniseries), so I'll end up getting them.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Its official - DC comics will be publishing new Watchmen comics set before the main series

What does everyone make of this? Do we need additional stories or should it be left as is?
    Did Stinkor just walk in here? Because something about this sure smells rank.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

well I just looked at the covers and while Rorschach's cover looks cool since when did Ozymandias have the power to levitate and what is up with Dr Manhattan and Silk Spectre? They look like they are...lets just say it appears to be close to Tar Swamp material

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    If I get any of them, it will only be the ones Straczynski is writing since the man is a genius. I do like Len Wein too though... Then again, I'll just wait until they are out in paperback form.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    If I get any of them, it will only be the ones Straczynski is writing since the man is a genius.
    Funny cuz I had the exact opposite reaction

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Funny cuz I had the exact opposite reaction
    Me too.

I think JMS is very good at establishing an initial hook. But then most of his stories fall apart badly or never live up to the initial idea. That's why I'm hoping if he's forced to tell a 4 or 5 issue story, it *may* be OK.

Alan Moore is going to put a curse on all involved.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Me too.

I think JMS is very good at establishing an initial hook. But then most of his stories fall apart badly or never live up to the initial idea. That's why I'm hoping if he's forced to tell a 4 or 5 issue story, it *may* be OK.
    Did you guys read JMS' version of The Amazing Spider-Man? I mean the stuff before teh did the whole Iron Spider/Brand New Day/One More Day crap? It was pure gold. The writing was excellent, the artwork was incredible. Morlun was a pretty kick ass villian and then you have JMS redeeming the screws up Marvel did with killing Gwen Stacy.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Did you guys read JMS' version of The Amazing Spider-Man? I mean the stuff before teh did the whole Iron Spider/Brand New Day/One More Day crap? It was pure gold.
    Except 9/11 issue.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

JMS has the following problems, one he tends to get micromanaged on established characters, two he tends to end up walking away at some point (sometimes linked to the first), three he can make some drastic changes in for the sake of modernization, four people know of the first two so give him quite a bit of flack for it with the third they tend to not let him go where he is going and complain about the changes instead of quality of the writing.

Did you guys read JMS' version of The Amazing Spider-Man? I mean the stuff before teh did the whole Iron Spider/Brand New Day/One More Day crap? It was pure gold. The writing was excellent, the artwork was incredible. Morlun was a pretty kick ass villian and then you have JMS redeeming the screws up Marvel did with killing Gwen Stacy.
    Yup. Read it. I thought it got off to a really good start and then fell apart badly to the point of being nearly unreadable.

And I thought the whole "Spider totem" thing was a horrible idea. Especially trying to tie his villains into it as well. It was like George Lucas demystifying The Force. Somethings don't need to be explained.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; February 2, 2012 at 01:45pm.

I'll read it, but I won't seek out a copy. I most likely will get it for Christmas from someone.

I also read the whole Morlun thing with the Totem crap and you know what, that is the first and only time I have thrown a tpb in the trash. I didn't bother to resell it or take it back to the store I purchased it from it simply went in the bin. I absolutely and unequivocally hate, loathe and despise EVERY SINGLE LAST SOLITARY MINUTE bit of Spider-Man that JMS had ANYTHING to do with and quite frankly if I ever see his name on a comic I will avoid that particular issue / event / series (whatever) like it has the plague

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Honestly, I know they are saying its a "homage" to the original creators but I think that's a load of crap.
    Alan Moore doesn't want it done then it shouldn't be done.