Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moc Masters of the Universe Classics turn white over Time ?!

Moc Masters of the Universe Classics turn white over Time ?!

Moc Masters of the Universe Classics turn white over Time ?!
    hi, on the German Masters Forum http://www.planeteternia.de we have discover that some of our Moc Classics Masters turn white over Time , if we then unpack then , the White ( what ever is it ) is easily wash up , so what ever is it , it is most likely transpire out of the Plastic , so questing is , what is is , and is it over a long Time a Danger to our Masters ?
    http://www.planeteternia.de/cgi-bin/...D=62786;Page=1

beastm10.jpgbeastm11.jpg211322.jpg211324.jpgtriklo10.jpg
    Last edited by He-Power; January 5, 2012 at 09:50pm.
    Toy - Gallery`s ? , well ... Look here
    alone 400 Transformers Actīs

Mine have not shown any of this at all, and all of mine are MOSC / MISB....and I have first editions of a few figures, and some of the others are older as well...sp I don't know what that might be...
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

My Zodak and Teela both have white legs. I have had them up on the wall in the order they came out, so exposed to the same elements as all the other figures. Both happened to have come out in the same month. I have heard it is left over goo which helps release the figure from the mold. I dont know?

Uh oh.

Heroic Warrior
    It's mold release it won't do any long term harm as long as they aren't stored in a high temp area.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I just checked and my 1st edition Beastman has the white fuze on his legs.

I don't really count Tri-Klops because there has always been uneven colored plastic on the figure since it was new. It really shows up if you take a picture using the flash. The torso is very different from the legs and arms color wise but the legs aren't too noticeable because the loin cloth helps hide the difference. The forearm being painted doesn't help matters. I bought 4 Tri-Klops figures and ALL of them are the same.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; January 5, 2012 at 11:35pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

I believe this exact problem happened with certain Doctor Who figures a few years ago (namely the Auton and Clockwork Men figures.) If that's the case, it's not mold-release, it's actually a white film being produced by the plastic. You can wipe it away but it'll come back. It's not harmful or toxic and usually is caused by the environment or temperature. One thing you might try (since the bubbles have air holes) is blasting warm air from a dryer (be careful of the bubble!) and see if that gets rid of the film. It gets rid of the film on my non-MOC Doctor Who figures so it might work here.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Warrior
    I'd assume the ones with defects probably came from the same mold run? It would seem to make sense at least.

Heroic Warrior
    My MOC He-Man (1st release) has the same issue with his boots. A fine layer of white all over them. The best explanation people have come up with on PlanetEternia.de is that the white film is the result of some chemical reaction causing one ingredient of the plastic used in the 2008/2009 figures - namely chalk - to surface. If it's true, then chalk was used to stretch the raw plastic material thus lowering production costs. The same phenomenon occurred with DCUC wave 3. As far as it is known, Mattel blamed the chalk and promised to never use such stretched raw materials again: a white layer has never been seen again on any later released DCUC figure. So maybe it's the same issue with the MotuC figures from 2008/09? Figures producing the white film so far are He-Man, Skeletor, Beast Man, Tri-Klops, Webstor, Mer Man, He-Ro, Zodak, Teela. All first releases as far as I've heard. In case this theory proves to be true, it would be quite interesting if the white layer occurs on reissues of named figures as well, for it might hint at something quite some people felt sure about.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Mine are all okay. That is strange though. Something to watch for, for sure.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

I was looking over my figures a few weeks ago and noticed Tri-Klops was whiter than he should have been, after rubbing the white stuff off of him, I thought it was simply dust since he's been out in the open for so long but now I'm worried he might have fuzzitis. Looking at Webstor, he also has a bit of the white stuff on him, none of my other figures seem to have that problem though.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Oh boy... Off to check my figures.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

I looked again, nothing...I have First Editions of Teela, Tri-Klops, Keldor, Mer-Man & She-Ra....and the Second Run of Skeletor, Man-At-Arms, Adora & Faker..and other older figures, but they are from 3rd runs or so, and some newer 2011 (not to be re-issued) figures...and none of the 2009 First or Second runs show anything at all. I don't have any first or second runs of He-Man or Beast Man...they are both later runs.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 6, 2012 at 12:31am.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Wow. Yeah, most of my early figures seem to be affected by whatever this is. This is a real bummer. I'll wait to be too upset until I hear if there are any solutions for MOC figures with this problem. Very NOT happy.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletom View Post
    Wow. Yeah, most of my early figures seem to be affected by whatever this is. This is a real bummer. I'll wait to be too upset until I hear if there are any solutions for MOC figures with this problem. Very NOT happy.
    Mattel can incorporate this into the bios!!! We'll just need to keep reading them to find out how Eternians got infected by the Cosmic Rust....., I mean white fuzzies.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

JLU figures had this throughout the run of the line... sometimes it appeared on figures that were MOC, sometimes it would appear on figures that people had standing on the shelf.

It has to do with the chemical they use to make the pieces easily removable from the molds.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Haven't noticed this on any of my Masters figures but I have had this issue with a couple of the earlier DC Classics figures. Not sure what it is but it easily comes off the figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Wow! This sucks! I can only imagine that will happen to newer MOCs as well over time...

This is a tough one. I'm not sure what to do about this. I love my MOC display, but if my 2008/ 2009 figures start really standing out and looking like garbage, I can't see keeping them in their packages. This is depressing.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    JLU and DCU figures would do that every now and then. The Shade was noterious for this. Its simple to remove, as it just needs to wiped off. Now obviously you cannot do that if they are MOC, but they do not damage them at all.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I've seen this on a number of action figure lines, not just MOTUC. Ghostbusters, DC Universe Classics, and Doctor Who all suffer from this.

It's notable that most of these figures are made by Mattel...

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Too-Man-E-Faces View Post
    The best explanation people have come up with on PlanetEternia.de is that the white film is the result of some chemical reaction causing one ingredient of the plastic used in the 2008/2009 figures - namely chalk - to surface. If it's true, then chalk was used to stretch the raw plastic material thus lowering production costs. The same phenomenon occurred with DCUC wave 3. As far as it is known, Mattel blamed the chalk and promised to never use such stretched raw materials again: a white layer has never been seen again on any later released DCUC figure. So maybe it's the same issue with the MotuC figures from 2008/09?
    Whoa, that's crazy!!!
    I was just gonna say it was like the DCUC3 figures, but seriously?
    Chalk to artificially extend the plastic?
    If that's true, that's outrageous.

I'd rather be paying double the price on these figures if it meant having assurances that none of those ridiculous practices ever occurred, and to know that these modern figures would last as least as long as the vintage ones have.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Too bad for MOC collectors. Hope my Mo-Larr will not get it cause i donīt want to open him

Wow. I have a MOC Wun-Dar and Battle Cat I've never taken out of the whiter mailers. These things are removable right? I bought them as extras, not to keep MOC.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Wow. I have a MOC Wun-Dar and Battle Cat I've never taken out of the whiter mailers. These things are removable right? I bought them as extras, not to keep MOC.
    Yeah the mailers are totally removable
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor