Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No Filmation styled figures in MOTUC

No Filmation styled figures in MOTUC

This thread may be a little controversial but I did not want to make it *Protected*

I have read some posts and heard the discussions about Filmation styled figures getting the MOTUC treatment.

I must say, this is not something I want to see. People asking for a Filmation styled He-Man completely confuses me because the MOTUC He-Man should be enough. I don't see the reason to go back and tweak it by changing the headsculpt or whatever.

I am all for Filmation characters being in MOTUC but I don't want to see Filmation styled figures. If the MYP 200x look is retired then the blandness of Filmation should not be made into figures either. Mattel need to stand by their motto of making the figures look like they were made in the original line but updated with today's technology.

Filmation MOTUC figures should be "inspired" by their look in filmation and nothing else. I feel confident this will be the way Mattel goes and I hope I am not alone in my opinion.

MYP 200x is a style
    Filmation is a style
    MOTUC is the happy medium for all and should be the standard

Yup, I agree. You can do Filmation characters with additional detail/flair so they match the rest of the line. As much as I love Shadow Weaver...she almost doesn't fit, does she? Let's look at Fisto as the new gold standard for what can and should be done detail wise and not regress.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I have to agree. I'm really surprised at all these new threads with "we want every figure now in Filmation style". Why?? What LITTLE tweak could they possibly make to justify spending another $20 on a figure we already have? Not to mention taking away tooling dollars.

I say stop the madness!! It's fine if there are Filmation style elements you want on a figure but to go back and completely redo a figure is nuts.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post
    I have to agree. I'm really surprised at all these new threads with "we want every figure now in Filmation style". Why?? What LITTLE tweak could they possibly make to justify spending another $20 on a figure we already have? Not to mention taking away tooling dollars.

I say stop the madness!! It's fine if there are Filmation style elements you want on a figure but to go back and completely redo a figure is nuts.
    Here, here. They're all going into the Classics machine... we just have to hope they get the extra detail work transitioning from Filmation style.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    i've been dreading the day mattel would get filmation rights for this very reason.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Agreed. Unless they were just going to release the Filmation He-Man and Skeletor only, then there really isn't no need to remake nearly an entire roster of generic Filmation counterparts. Now if they were going to address a few Filmation wants then perhaps a few accessories here and there as well as head sculpts would suffice.

I'm in agreement, here. Adora looks like a Classics figure, AND Filmation. Perfect happy medium.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Thanks for posting this thread, I agree with you 100%. I doubt filmation-style figures would happen based on what you've mentioned. PoP maybe, but not motu. The line is based on the old toys and artwork. And I'm glad.
    Filmation characters? Sure. Filmation designs of existing characters? Negative.

They're watered down, lesser versions of superior, pre-existing designs anyway...ie, filmation "Teela" is a terrible design compared to the original. Same goes for Man-at-arms and many others, heroes and villains alike.

As much as I LOVE FILMation…I'd rather not see Mattel go crazy and have duplicate "FILMation" versions of figures made. Rather, I'd like to see characters from FILMation done in the classics line that otherwise wouldn't have been made…i.e. Shadow Weaver.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar

I'm totally fine with no Filmation VARIANTS in the line, or at least, as part of the subscription. If they want to make Filmation He-Man, that's fine, just don't make everyone buy it.

Otherwise, I'm not too worried. Shadow Weaver looks like she stepped right out of the cartoon, but she still fits in with the rest of the MOTUC line perfectly.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Agreed 100%. The line needs to retain it's look. Filmation characters need to go through the classics machine just like the others so far. Shadow weaver looks great, though, so hopefully, it won't be an issue.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

I tend to agree. I'd prefer MOTUC retain it's standard style. If there was a figure in the vintage line, the MOTUC figure should represent that style. With PoP, I understand why they're leaning towards FILMation. If those characters had been in the MOTU line, they would have looked nothing like their original toy counterparts.

I'm ok with characters that only had appearances in FILMation looking like FILMation-y, but I have no desire to start receiving FILMation He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, etc. Characters like Marzo and Evil Seed that looked vastly different in FILMation and 200x? Sure, bring both on. Everyone else, not so much.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I too hope they'll stick more with the FILMation characters that haven't had figures rather than go back and re-do figures we already have. Shadow Weaver looks great, and they added some detail with shading that definitely will help her fit in with the line. It's hard to tell exactly what direction they'll go after seeing just one figure from FILMation.

Agreed. I have been wondering if I should post a thread on this or not. I don't want to see belts without medallions, boots without straps, He-Man's harness with only a cross, Skeletor's harness without a bat, etc. I have been dying for Mattel to get Filmation rights but the Filmation designs were very plain. They need to be updated to MOTUC style.

I completely agree! I only want to see MOTUC figures not MOTUC FILMation figures. What worries me is the likes of Orko and Marlena. Orko sets a bad precedent for how Trollans will look, and Marlena - just LOOK at those eyes!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    like motuc updates with a filmation style to it but not the extream of it looking like a cartoon. dont want remakes of filmation characters that are already made. would like a filmation style head for skeletor & hordak though.

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    I completely agree! I only want to see MOTUC figures not MOTUC FILMation figures. What worries me is the likes of... Marlena - just LOOK at those eyes!
    That's a screw-up, not a meaningful attempt to emulate Filmation. Y'know, since she didn't have a mad stare in the He-Man cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    That's a screw-up, not a meaningful attempt to emulate Filmation. Y'know, since she didn't have a mad stare in the He-Man cartoon.
    I know, but it does somewhat emulate the style. I just despise that Orko though but since he seems to be the only one we are getting, I have to live with it. Still doesn't make sense that a powerful wizard would have his initial on his robes.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch View Post
    I know, but it does somewhat emulate the style. I just despise that Orko though but since he seems to be the only one we are getting, I have to live with it. Still doesn't make sense that a powerful wizard would have his initial on his robes.
    That is just branding. Look at the Horde for the perfect example of branding, their logo is on everything.

I wonder how Shadow Weaver will actually look with the rest of MOTUC? Marlena doesn't look too bad by herself but when she is with other MOTUC figures her flaws really stand out

It may be branding.. but it's foolish. I could see if ALL Trollans were like that, like ALL full members of the Horde have the emblem.. but they don't. A scaled back version of 200X Orko would have been better IMO.

I'll find out Friday how Marlena fares but I think FILMation characters will stand out in the same way that 200X characters stand out. Look at FO, Carnivus, Marzo and Keldor and tell me they don't catch the eye just a tiny bit more.

I agree with you, homeskillet.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    They should do a TRU He-Man vs Skeletor in the Filmation style/color scheme and see if it sells. No reason to see slight variants as part of the subscription, IMOHO.

Like everyone else, I am down for Filmation only characters in the MOTUC style however. There were quite a few villains in particular that never got a figure.

I completely agree with the OP!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

I totally agree with this. The only reason Filmation characters are as bland as they are is because it made them much easier and cheaper to animate. There's no reason for the figures to look identical - I want all of them to have those awesome added details that the 4H are so great at. Bow is a perfect example, and all Filmation characters should follow that precedent.