Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Sorceress Video Review by Pixel Dan

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    IMO She looks awesome! Thay actually made one of my most hated designs look cool!

But one thing I had never noticed until this Video is her new lower arms, with the cool sleeve Cuff! I wish they had been used on Marlena!

anyhoo the wings dont bother me....but the Closed left hand does! I truly hope all those who screamed they wanted both hands 'gripping' on figures are happy with her!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    Great job, thanks Dan!!!

BTW... my 4 year old son always watches these reviews with me, and after seeing the Pixel Dan custom review he has now taken to pretending that he is Pixel Dan!

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    The engineering of the vintage figure was better and simpler.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    She is totally wrecked! What a ugly crap that wing mechanism is
    The open wing pose doesn´t work either, because of that second closed hand. Just looks goofy.
    At least the head is absolute beautiful and she reminds me of her: mainimage.jpg which is a good thing

Looks like we all have 2.0 to look forward to now.

Dan, can you tell us if the face is painted. Your vid shows that the head is cast in flesh-coloured plastic, but the face also looks to be painted. Previous females don't necessarily have painted faces if the head is cast in flesh-coloured plastic (BG Teela).

Great review Dan!

I thought you covered pretty much everything we had questions about. I totally agree with you that if the wings were attached to the back it would have solved
    a lot of problems. Seems so obvious how could they miss it? Oh well, she still looks good otherwise and a 2.0 is bound to happen.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    They should have just done a basic cape creation for her wings; something that would collar around her neck and be a plastic sheet colored like wings that would plug into her wrists. Who cares what the figure looks like from one angle when from everywhere else she looks like a mess??

Whelp, I guess we can look forward to a terrible "Battleground Sorceress" release and hope they actually redo her with a decent upgrade and not just old parts (and she'll probably be painted in in some weird off-200X color)

Of all the issues this line has had so far (and they were numerous!), I personally feel that the Sorceress's wings are the worst issue so far. I just get this feeling of helplessness and anger when I see this. Why, God, why did they do it like that???????????????????

Honestly, after tall the issues with Teela, Goddess, and She-Ra that forced Mattel to re-work the female buck and release BG Teela and especially BP She-Ra, I think everyone on the .org was like "why don't they get these figures right the first time? Why don't they push back the release of these figures until they have got the engineering right?".
    Now it's the same thing all over again.
    I don't understand this at all.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Of all the issues this line has had so far (and they were numerous!), I personally feel that the Sorceress's wings are the worst issue so far. [...]
    "why don't they get these figures right the first time? Why don't they push back the release of these figures until they have got the engineering right?". [...]
    I really can't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    This!

Santalucia's design would have been the best thing, but as a second choice the vintage design seems far more sensible to me: I don't see any advantages in respect to it in the one we got now, while the disadvantage is striking.

Again, a pity for an otherwise so beautiful figure.

Anyway, again a very enjoyable review from Pixel Dan... Can't wait for Fisto review!
    Last edited by GozzoMan; January 13, 2012 at 06:21am.
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

*thumbs up* for the review, Dan. Can you tell me if the chest is a new hard plastic piece under the white bodice, or is it just the outfit over top of the BP She-Ra chest?

Anyhow, I hope Mattel doesn't cheap out and use Sorceress parts for Starburst She-Ra. Yeah, I know that doesn't make any sense, but you never know with Mattel.

gbagok: Loving the new avatar.

Here's hoping Star Sisters are up next!

Heroic Warrior
    Dan,

Can the wings be folded out as a whole piece so that they do not look like trays. For example, if her arms are down at her sides, can the wings be folded so that the whole piece is at a 90 degree angle to the arm? I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks again for a great review!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamblo View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with this. The Classics Sorceress is beautifully sculpted. Her face, her colors, etc. I love her smiling face, because it is not out of character. The Sorceress is about warmth, compassion, caring, and friendship.

The wing design is awful. I can get past the drums.

My problem is that I apparently can't pose her doing anything but the one iconic Filmation pose.

I have a serious problem with that.

On top of that, she's using the awful Bikini Teela hips and legs. I hate those. They can't swivel. Bikini Teela's leg articulation is so limited compared to Evil Lyn and the original Teela's.

Stop using those Mattel!!!

All I needed from the female 2.0 buck was the waist twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Great video, Dan!

She absolutely IS gorgeous. However, the wing drums and lack of arm articulation is pretty devastating to me, at least. She can't cast spells, fight Evil-Lyn, Skeletor and King Hiss with her staff or hug Teela.

Here are some shots of poses I wanted to do with her, but she cannot do:

http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image...never_knew.jpg

http://frankshemanpage.net/reign07.JPG

http://frankshemanpage.net/valley05.JPG

http://frankshemanpage.net/origin07.JPG
    I agree 200% with Darkspecter. I want to pose the Sorceress actually interacting with the other figures. I can 't do that if I can't move her blasted arms. Almost the entire appeal of this line for me is that I can actually "play" with these figures. I can pose them in multiple ways and get them to interact. Now, one of the three most iconic characters, one of the most beautiful and requested figures, is essentially a staction when it comes to her arms.

What the heck. Whoever designed this (Terry was his name?) needs to be reassigned to a different line. Total failure right there.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; January 13, 2012 at 06:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    gbagok: Loving the new avatar.
    Seconded! and Thrilled they are the REAL Star Sisters! Bravo!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Fantastic review! However I cant help but be a little disappointed by how this figure was executed for mass release by Mattel..

Three things bother me in particular:

1. The thighs look horrible. This was the first thing that I noticed on the video as it looks so unnatural.
    2. The face with the happy smile and the eyes looking cross-eyed makes the Sorceress face look rather goofy almost as if shes pulling a funny face or something.
    3. The wings - Pixel Dan pretty much covered all my concerns in his review.

Overall the prototype we saw last year from the 4H looked much better than this mass produced version. Something really went wrong in the transition from prototype to mass release but the worst part is that there really isn't a proper reason for it. All of the flaws could have been averted if the designer had placed more thought and care while modifying the prototype just as Pixel Dan mentioned with the wings..

Great review Dan.
    Despite the limited her arm movements and big drums I still think the figure looks great and I wouldn't buy a Sorceress 2.0.
    Looking forward to the Fisto review, any chance of a shot of him Standing next to Stridor please
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

To me this looks far superior than what we are getting:

Check out the thighs and face specially - Far better.

This is why we shouldn't have action features in MOTUC

It's probably already been suggested, but having watched this I can't help but look to Shadow
    Weaver for a possible solution on the wings.
    Why did they have to be solid hard plastic pieces? Couldn't they have been a thinner more rubbery "drape" type thing?
    That could've attached at the shoulders and triceps pieces of the arms and really acted like a cape?

Really curious to see how it works on Shadow Weaver.

Great review again Dan, I think I agree with you on all her pros and cons.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Fabulous preview, Pixel Dan ! I really enjoyed it !

The Sorceress sculpt looks so wonderful ! I'm really, REALLY sad about the wings, though... It should have been far better than this.

What I like the most is the head and the headdress of the Sorceress ! Perfect, IMO !

I'll buy Sorceress for sure, but given the constant issues plaguing the female figures, I'm not sure I'll buy many more female MOTUC characters. With some obvious exceptions, of course...

Thanks for the nice preview, Dan, and thank you for detailing the articulations thoroughly !

I think she looks pretty amazing... I agree that the wings should have been more thought-out in terms of how fans would be able to pose her, but for what they did- I guess I'm not that upset about how it was done. I was never all that pleased with my classic Sorceress when I was a kid, so to me there's a lot of improvement (being able to turn her at the waist, turn her head, bend at the knees, that sort of thing). I also see the paint scheme for the wings as being an improvement- I like having the orange and blue on both sides- just think it looks a lot better.
    One question I have is- does she work with the 6" Mattel flight stand?

The wings out pose is really the only way she is gonna sit on my shelf so I'm okay with the wings. I'm just happy she doesn't have the filmation "I just got up from a nap" facial expression.

Over 90% of diseases are caused or complicated by stress
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    Thanks Dan!

Am I the only one who does not like the 2.0 body on Sorceress? The legs and skirt just don't have the curves I like on the 1.0 female body. It's funny because Sorceress is definitely one figure that could have pulled off the 1.0 body. Mabe the females should be judged on a case by case basis instead of just jumping on the 2.0 bandwagon.
    You know, I kinda liked how thick She-Ra 1.0 was in comparison to 2.0. 2.0 is a better figure though. Speaking of She-Ra 1.0, how come her TRU 2 pack is the hardest one to find?

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Great review, Dan! Although I don't think smiling is out of character for the Sorceress. I certainly remember her smiling in Filmation.
    You know, it fits, actually. In the Era Wars, fans were saying how the Filmation Sorceress was much warmer than the 200X version.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    She's gorgeous and everything I wanted visually from a rendition of this character.

Bummer about those wings, but it's not going to bother me much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Great video, Dan!

She absolutely IS gorgeous. However, the wing drums and lack of arm articulation is pretty devastating to me, at least. She can't cast spells, fight Evil-Lyn, Skeletor and King Hiss with her staff or hug Teela.
    The wings don't bother me much either, although I do understand the frustrations of other fans. I think the designers probably thought that the vintage Sorceress is a vanilla posed character, like Marlena. You could still have Sorceress hug Teela or hold her staff in front of her so long as you only bend her arms at the elbow and not the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I guess I would much prefer 200x Sorceress so she's free of the wing shackles on her arms!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I just hope we get a 2002 version in the future and they do her wings right.

Maybe in Classics, 200X Sorceress is the guise that she adopts when she goes off to battle. Perhaps 200X Sorceress is the fighting Sorceress.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Great review video once again, Dan.
    Maybe We get "Venom Poisoned Sorceress". Just teasing with wacky ideas. Just now waiting this figure arrive.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    This is why we shouldn't have action features in MOTUC
    100% true...

I wonder, how anyone at Mattel thought, that this wings-solution would look good...
    Last edited by Berserker79; January 13, 2012 at 09:57am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost