Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Sorceress Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    It was interesting watching this review Dan, because I think you've consistently been so easy-going in your critiques of the figures. This was the first time I can remember you ever seeing something and going "No...no, this wasn't good", and it made me a little sad because your love for this line is so palpable.
    I always do my best to be as objective as possible in my reviews. So even when I'm showing something I dislike about a figure, you'll never hear me "nerdraging" or cursing. But there is something I feel is wrong, I'll defiitely explain to you why I feel it's wrong.

I plan to have the Shadow Weaver review online tonight.

And just wait until you guys see Fisto. There is a figure to be VERY excited about. He's the definition of what's right with MOTU Classics.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    While watching this, I kept thinking about how they used to create a wingspread-action feature with the Silverhawks line: soft fabric that attached to the back and the wrists of the figure that easily folds and extends when the legs were squeezed together. You can't tell me that this one time, using fabric wouldn't have been a better solution than going with those huge drums. Emiliano's solution was better than this result too.

I don't really care for the BG Teela thighs on her either, but I guess I'm okay with it anyway; this will be my first Sorceress figure ever (I have the 200X staction, but that is not the Sorceress to me), so I'll be happy just for that reason.

Thanks for the review!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

But there is something I feel is wrong, I'll defiitely explain to you why I feel it's wrong.

I plan to have the Shadow Weaver review online tonight.
    These two thoughts one after the other make me nervous - please tell me there's nothing wrong with Weaver! Gaaah! I so want those wing flaps on her shawl not to be a problem....

WOW! - awesome figure!! ... seriously amazing figure ...

i'm going to go against the grain and say we should see more 'action-features' in MOTUC! - maybe i'm just too much of a big kid ... but i'm glad mattel tried to give us something different here ... even though it isn't as popular as they maybe had hoped ...

plus, i'm never going to pose my sorceress figure in any other way (i.e. arms pointing forward etc.) other than with her wings spread out wide ... like how she should look! ...

all this ''ruined'' figure talk is ridiculous - she is awesome, i love the colouring and i love the native-american vibe her head-dress gives off ...

It was interesting watching this review Dan, because I think you've consistently been so easy-going in your critiques of the figures
    i think dans style has been pretty balanced for a while now ... if you see his review of hurricane hordak, he was pretty critical of that figure - and rightly so in most cases ...
    Last edited by tmc1984; January 13, 2012 at 01:35pm.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    You'll never hear me cursing.
    Well, there go my life's dreams and hopes...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

i think dans style has been pretty balanced for a while now ... if you see his review of hurricane hordak, he was pretty critical of that figure - and rightly so in most cases ...
    I guess I haven't watched more than four or five reviews, because I think you're right about him being balanced. Just watched the Star Sisters review, and there for instance he was quite honest about what worked and what didn't, in his eyes.

Maybe I just think of you as a softie, Dan, for not getting more annoyed on-camera about Adora's "skirt" piece or something

How could the Shadow Weaver cape/wing design not have been the one chosen in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    While watching this, I kept thinking about how they used to create a wingspread-action feature with the Silverhawks line: soft fabric that attached to the back and the wrists of the figure that easily folds and extends when the legs were squeezed together. You can't tell me that this one time, using fabric wouldn't have been a better solution than going with those huge drums. Emiliano's solution was better than this result too.

For the most part I thinking staying away from fabric for MOTUC is a good idea, for continuity if nothing else. But I think The Sorceress is on figure that could have been the exception to that. A nice clothe cape with stitching or embossing for the feathers would have looked great. It could have been attached to the top of the shoulders like Jewelstar's crystals and then again at the wrists. This would have allowed for full movement of the arms. I would bunch up a bit in the back when her arms were down by her side but that would still have looked better then those jet engine drums!

Maybe I'll try and make a cloth cape.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    How could the Shadow Weaver cape/wing design not have been the one chosen in the end?
    My guess would be that The Sorceress was being designed before the Filmation rights were obtained. So when they had come up with a solution for Shadow Weaver Mattel/4H didn't want to go back and redesign The Sorceress.
    Last edited by Slave2Evil_Lyn; January 13, 2012 at 01:24pm.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    Let me make sure I understand...you want arms down at her side, and wings open in a 90 degree angle? I'll play around with the figure some more tonight and snap some photos!
    I think that is right. She would look like a cross, ie, the entire wingset would be perpendicular to the arms when down at her side. Basically, I want to know if the wings can be moved out of the "tray position" when you move the arms forward. The wings would still stick out, though in a different direction.

You, Dan, are the man!!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    This Sorceress would have been fun if she were meant to be an "Action-Feature" oriented toy, and each Master did something similar, as a nod to the vintage line. This would have been a REALLY cool retail variant.

As a regular collector's toy with articulation designed with an established appraoch to NOT include action features at the expense of the aesthetics...this is abysmal.

We need so many more characters and many collectors may not be interested nor can afford a 2.0 version. This monthly figure setup makes a 2.0 figure very difficult to execute, and Mattel can't afford to mess what potentially would be the only shot at a character.

Fisto needs to be THE template of EXACTLY how each character is approached. He is the gold standard.

I will hope they get to the Ungul variant with the proper improvements so a Teela'Na head swap would be all that is needed.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    These two thoughts one after the other make me nervous - please tell me there's nothing wrong with Weaver! Gaaah! I so want those wing flaps on her shawl not to be a problem....
    Oh, no no! Those two comments have nothing to do with one another! Sorry to confuse! I'll tell you that Shadow Weaver's cape piece works terrifically!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well, there go my life's dreams and hopes...
    ..."in a review." You hang out with me while we're haivng a few beers, I'm sure it'd be a different story.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; January 13, 2012 at 02:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I for one am really glad you were VERY objective and unbiased in your comments - not that I'm saying you're biased generally, its just that it was nice to see you address the elephant in the room and address it well. Thank you

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Yeah, ain't it the truth! 200x Sorceress was all business. I obviously prefer the Filmation characterization that seems to go right along with this design--though I'm still bummed this new figure can't strike many fighting poses so she could take on King Hiss in battle.
    This Sorceress doesn't fight Hsss in battle, so it's all good, right? The vintage Sorceress was the warmest personality-wise out of the Filmation, NA and 200X Sorceresses, but the 200X Sorceress was the melee ass-kicker out of the three.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I've gotta say that I'm really disappointed about the whole wing issue. I'd really like to hear someone make Scott answer why they made such a poor decision with the wings. The sculpt is perfect, Filmation Sorceress all the way. My MoC Sorceress will look fantastic, but now I won't get a few extras as I planned on. I might get an extra and try to customize her to make the whole wing thing work. I'm sure we'll get a 2.0, ala BP She-Ra, that fixes the wing problem. Overall, I'm very excited to get this Sorceress, but not as excited as I was.

Thx for the review Dan. She does look beautiful. But the wing articulation is a bit of a let down. The Mattel Engineer must have taken the day off when they discussed the wing articulation. Not for sure if I'l by 2 of her though. Bring on the Fisto review b/c he looks awesome!!!!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Great review as always. The drums do suck but i'm not that bummed out by it. I will be displaying her with her wings spread or just with the staff in some way that doesn't look to wonky.

I agree with you 1000% percent. The cape idea would have been a lot better. No goofy drums sticking out from the shoulders and less of an articulation inhibitor.

Thinking back, what really blows me away is that stupid video Toy Guru released in December. Remember that one? He was all excited about the amazing engineering that had been done for the wings. In light of the other flaws, I can't believe he was so excited. I'd like to think that he realized those other issues were negatives and that he didn't, simply, miss them.
    Say cheese!!!

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Not a fan of this version of the Sorceress, hate the engineering, next year's traveling Sorceress is far superior.

Easy pass for me.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I am floored that Terry, Scott, and whoever else knew about this thought this would go over well. It's a complete butchering of the figure, unless you collect MOC or never play with your figures.
    Completely agree with you.
    Say cheese!!!

Sorceress 2.0 petition, anyone?

- new wings (not connected to her shoulders, no "holes" between the fragments)

- spell casting left hand (as the vintage figure)

- possibly all orange inside of the wings (filmation style)

I love the Four Horsemen, but it's unfair that *Sorceress* has been so penalized by this technical choice..

ps. Pixel Dan you're a legend in Italy too

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    The legs and skirt just don't have the curves I like on the 1.0 female body.
    Classics Sorceress looks to have washboard abs and @$$!

Why the MOTUC females can't be more curvy like Marvel's Shanna the She-Devil is beyond me.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Those wings are just pure fail.

Sadly, I couldn't agree more. I just can't understand why Mattel was so fixated on having this "action feature" that they would sacrifice the aesthetic value of this figure... IT'S THE SORCERESS! Every other figure in this line is a beautifully sculpted piece of work that can be displayed from every angle, but The Sorceress has limited mobility and two EXTREMELY obtrusive pieces of plastic that are obvious and ugly as soon as you turn her to any view except for straight on. The sculpt itself is beautiful and she looks exactly how she should, but the wings are SUCH a disappointment that I may not even bother buying a second one to open. I'll start praying for a 2.0 now.

Great review as usual Dan!

The figure is stunning! She DOES look as if she stepped right out of the FILMation toon!
    It's a good thing I plan on posing her in her iconic wings spread pose…otherwise the way they did the wings is really a let down. The drums are just too big…the gaps that occur when you spread the wings too far are crazy and the way the wings are actually attached to the shoulders just look weird. I wish they'd gone more of a Shadow Weaver route with softer plastic.

BUT…she's still a beautiful figure! Can't wait to get her!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    ..."in a review." You hang out with me while we're haivng a few beers, I'm sure it'd be a different story.
    Yeah, man! Spencer Powers and Benedict Judas Hel together? Shock and Awe, baby! World Tag Team Champions of this world and the next!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the review. The Sorceress is my favorite character from the franchise and while I like several things about the figure I think MUCH MORE should have been done to maker her look right. The 2.0 female buck is not right on her. She has no need for a waist swivel, it cuts the sculpt and looks awful. The face and headdress beautiful, then you see those HORRIBLE wings. Is the Sorceress being portrayed as part Transformer product? Who has large drums sticking out the back of their shoulders? The Horsemen could have done a couple different wing capes similar to Shadow Weaver and it would have come off much better. I like her but am REALLY disappointed MATTEL dropped the ball on this of all characters. They did right by giving She-Ra (an action hero) a waist swivel, but why go so wrong with the Guardian of Castle Grayskull? And giving her two thumbs up hands??? And while a small issue to some, the blue paint on the inside of the wings was wrong from the beginning. They could have fixed so much on this figure given the production time and a now additional delay to get her. It has never made sense. Yay for the figure getting made but BOO on the execution. Most sadly, I give it a thumbs down. MATTEL continues to disappoint me. *shakes head*
    Good trades with: Cammor