Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Sorceress Video Review by Pixel Dan

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    Why the MOTUC females can't be more curvy like Marvel's Shanna the She-Devil is beyond me.
    It's probably because of the rampant steroid use on Eternia...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I've gotta say that I'm really disappointed about the whole wing issue. I'd really like to hear someone make Scott answer why they made such a poor decision with the wings.
    Well Vancak (*giggle*), I don't think you'll get that, so allow me: "As with all the figures in the line, we allow the 4H to make the design choices they think best suit the characters. We have total faith in them, and sometimes what seems like a good idea just doesn't execute as one. Also, we don't like to go back over our finished products once they're done, for budget reasons, so if we can justify fixing a figure later on down the line, then we might."

That's not sarcasm either. I know how this line can be frustrating, when you're waiting for a figure to be perfect, and they never really are and you just wish someone could tell you why. So pretend he said that to you and maybe it'll help you feel heard.

Now Dan...you realize I'm impatiently waiting here for that first look at Weaver right? If I don't sleep tonight, it'll be on your head!

She's AWESOME thanks for the review Dan! I'll just be posing her in that classic spread wing pose so she is perfect to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    It's not an action feature though. It's just tight articulation.
    Very true. I don't know why folks are calling her wings functioning like that as an "action feature." If they sprung out like the vintage figure then yes, "action feature" it is but no, the wings are just articulated a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Really hoping customizers on here figure out a way to remedy this situation.
    Thanks to Dan's review, I'm planning on buying a second Sorceress to TRY & make a custom cape for her.

Why the MOTUC females can't be more curvy like Marvel's Shanna the She-Devil is beyond me.
    That would be REALLY nice. Love me some curvy women.

Thanks for the review Dan. I love the Sorceress character, always have. I think the Classics figure looks great but I'm with everybody on the wing thing. I don't play with my figures & I know I'll find a pose that I like, but like I said in response to SCB, I'll be buying another Sorceress to customize. Mattel, be sure to thank Dan as well since because of his review, you're getting another $20 out of me.
    I want my other half.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I’m trying to like this new Sorceress but unfortunately the horrible wing’s job kills the love of this figure for me.

I was extremely excited for this figure, I thought the wing design would be similar to Shadow Weaver or Emiliano's drawing. It is sad Scott (ToyGuru) never thought to show us the back of the design Terry made to improve her wings.

This was the worst way to do the wings, the big bulky wing nuts on the shoulder will stand out from any view but straight forward, so even in my display case when someone walks around it, those damn bulky shoulders will stand out before they see the beautiful Sorceress from the front.

I don't know how Scott and Terry thought these big bulky shoulder nuts were so amazing. If I was Scott I would have had them connected under the main feather on her back with small nuts that held the feathers tight and the consumer had to manually open each wing if needed for the wing span. (similar to the old one). I think Emiliano's approach in his thread on here would have worked a lot better as well or even SW style.

Why would you release a figure with 1/2 inch of bolt sticking out from her shoulders LOL I don't know the actual measurements but it looks like half an inch to me.

Still happy to get the figure but I might just cut off the wings on my display version and figure a way to hide them under the long feather on her back.

The Sorceress looks beautiful from the front, but those drums really damage the figure's overall look. Even in the light of Emiliano's suggested improvement I think I would have preferred the wings to be completely separate from her arms, like the vintage figure. Still foldable, but not connected to the arms in any way.
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

The more I think of it, the more I would have loved to have snap-on wings that connect to the arms in the way Emilianoe suggested. I believe that Emiliano's idea, great though it may be, might have the disadvantage of the wings sticking out from the back when the Sorceress has her arms haning down. I'm not sure if I can make myself understood without a picture though.
    Awesome sticker included!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The drums will bother me - I know that. Otherwise she's a beautiful looking figure - the crotch/waist is also cause for concern - hopefully Mattel sort this out - it looks awful on the Star Sisters too.

Great, honest review Dan! Much appreciated. I think Sorceress looks great. A little bummed about the wings, but not tood bad. I am one of those that will display her with wings open anyway.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it warrants mentioning again here. I think the best solution for the Sorceress would have been to ditch the "action feature", and given her two separate sets of wings for display purposes. One set of wings would be in the "up" position, with a plug to connect to the back of the figure. The second set of wings could be in the "down" position (ie: cape mode) with a plug to connect to her back. I feel like they got carried away with trying to give her an action feature, when at the begining of MOTUC they said figures wouldn't have action features. Looking at how this figure turned out, I think two separate sets of wings would have been a much better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it warrants mentioning again here. I think the best solution for the Sorceress would have been to ditch the "action feature", and given her two separate sets of wings for display purposes. One set of wings would be in the "up" position, with a plug to connect to the back of the figure. The second set of wings could be in the "down" position (ie: cape mode) with a plug to connect to her back. I feel like they got carried away with trying to give her an action feature, when at the begining of MOTUC they said figures wouldn't have action features. Looking at how this figure turned out, I think two separate sets of wings would have been a much better solution.
    But see, as the one that came up with that concept: I don't see it as an action feature. It isn't and it was never supposed to be that. It doens't involve any machanism. For me it's just an articulation to mimic the anatomy of wings and feathers.
    If they just did what I posted the other day, the articulation would have worked fine, and we'd all be happy.

I think she looks fine--when I put her on my shelf I wont be able to see the barrels on her back anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    But see, as the one that came up with that concept: I don't see it as an action feature. It isn't and it was never supposed to be that. It doens't involve any machanism. For me it's just an articulation to mimic the anatomy of wings and feathers.
    If they just did what I posted the other day, the articulation would have worked fine, and we'd all be happy.
    It's clear that attaching the wing/cape to the upper arm (like Emiliano's design) is in fact possible as it was done on Shadow Weaver. If that means that The Sorceress's wings would have to be a softer plastic then so be it. I think that would have been better anyway, it would have allowed for better movement and posing.

I like the sculpt of The Sorceress we are getting but I'd really love it if Mattel rent back someday and redid the wings and that pelvis.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Looks like she has an hour-glass figure to me. Her chest, waist & hips are curvy - well, they would be if her legs were attached to the crotch-piece properly, so it ruins her hips.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

This video makes me glad I'm a MOC collector!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Somebody along the way requested these pics:

You can raise the wings up like that without raising the arms, but it is a little tight so you have to force it a bit.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I think Mattel should have went with something similar to what Kenner did with their Silverhawks toy line in the 80's; cloth wings pegged in at the back and attached at the wrist.
    These wings were able to fold and also (gasp!) allow the arms to move forward. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. Oh well, here's hoping for a 2.0 fix

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6574993570.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6574962056.jpg

You can raise the wings up like that without raising the arms, but it is a little tight so you have to force it a bit.
    Dan question. In the second pic, is it possible to move the wings to the back where you can no longer see them?

I think she is cool, and I have no issues. I like how her wings fold down, I understand why some are annoyed, but it seems like people just jump on the disappointed bandwagon around here. I am very much looking forward to her, I'm sure my kids will enjoy playing with the wing thing, and when she is on my shelf she'll be in her classic pose. I just enjoy things for what they are I guess, and I'm usually happy. As long as she is free of paint issues and backwards parts I'm fine!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    I think she is cool, and I have no issues. I like how her wings fold down, I understand why some are annoyed, but it seems like people just jump on the disappointed bandwagon around here. I am very much looking forward to her, I'm sure my kids will enjoy playing with the wing thing, and when she is on my shelf she'll be in her classic pose. I just enjoy things for what they are I guess, and I'm usually happy. As long as she is free of paint issues and backwards parts I'm fine!
    Exactly my thoughts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    it seems like people just jump on the disappointed bandwagon around here.
    You're right, we need to lower our expectations.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

uhm, out of all the figures, why include the action feature on this one??

easily my most anticipated figure of the line, one I wanted as a kid, but never got. such a pretty design.

and I will be honest, the motuc version is pretty too. but those damn wings ruin a lot! why not go for soft plastic like with SW.
    Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6574993570.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...6574962056.jpg

I was the one who asked, and I thank you good sir for the answer!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Originally Posted by Eternian Poet
    You're right, we need to lower our expectations.
    At $30 a figure I think our expectations are right where they need to be.