Thread: How do I handle the hands??

How do I handle the hands??

Okay folks, I guess it's obvious by now from my other posts that I finally broke down and purchased my first MOTUC pieces. Swift Wind and BP She-Ra were hard to resist, even though I'm now awaiting a replacement horsie and my She-Ra appears to have a slightly warped left ankle (bummer).

In any case, I was trying to put her sword in her hand for the first time ever, and boy was it an ordeal. The hand is made of a hard plastic, but rotates at the wrist, so whenever I tried to apply some pressure to the thumb and figures so the sword would fit between them, the hand would rotate. Finally, I had to take my nail and pull her thumb away a bit to squeeze the handle of the sword in...and I didn't like doing it!

Is this a problem everyone has? Or does my She-Ra just have bizarre strongly hands? I'd hoped I could slip the handle in from above, but that doesn't work. I'm afraid of damaging the handle or the fingers if I don't learn how to do this another way.

Thanks for the help, as I know this probably reads like a silly problem.

Heroic Warrior
    I usually pull the fingers out a little very slowly... Then put the sword in the hand and give the hand a squeeze. Sometimes you have to fiddle around with these figures. Sounds like you have the situation in check.

That's the way all the figures are with varied degrees of tightness. Leave the sword in her hand for a couple of days and it will be easier to place it back in.

If you want to change it now, put the hand in boiled water for 30 seconds and then open the hand a bit (it will become very soft). When you are happy with it, put in in cold water to 'solidify' it again.

hot water works really well. Just get some really hot water from your sink and just let the part of your figure soak for like a minute or so. This works for heads too, if they are stubborn and don't want to pop on very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    That's the way all the figures are with varied degrees of tightness. Leave the sword in her hand for a couple of days and it will be easier to place it back in.

If you want to change it now, put the hand in boiled water for 30 seconds and then open the hand a bit (it will become very soft). When you are happy with it, put in in cold water to 'solidify' it again.
    ahaha kup you beat me!
    Last edited by Weasel; January 16, 2012 at 09:58pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Court Magician
    Running the hand under hot water for 20 seconds or so should make it easy to put the sword in her hand. If the grip is a little loose while the plastic is still warm, squeeze it with your thumb and index finger and run it under cold water. That same trick will fix her warped ankle as well. Run it under hot water, straighten it, then run it under cold water so it "sets".

I've always been afraid to use the "hot water" method lest it permanently weaken the plastic. I remember people saying they did this with their JLU figures, but the figures still ended up falling over...have any of you regretted using the hot water method?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I've always been afraid to use the "hot water" method lest it permanently weaken the plastic. I remember people saying they did this with their JLU figures, but the figures still ended up falling over...have any of you regretted using the hot water method?
    I have done this with at least a dozen MOTUC figures (probably more) and never encountered any issue with the plastic weakening or paint fading.

I also use it with Stactions when the statue has been warped a bit or I just feel that a better limb positions would be best.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    My 3-year-old son has a few of these (what can I say, I can't resist the urge to buy an extra every few months) and he is always bringing Skeletor to me to fit his sword or his staff back into his hand. It does hurt like an SOB trying to peal the hand open and I can see the plastic start to weaken. One night he left it in our vehicle overnight during a particularly bitter Minnesota winter night. I darn near torn my fingertips off trying to pry that sucker open.

Hot water does the trick for me. Doesn't even have to be boiling, actually, just very hot.

Another thing that works is to find a THICK nail or small jeweler's screwdriver. Slightly smaller than the width of the accessory handle. Stick it in his hand like he is going to hold it as his weapon and gradually role the hand open with it. Saves your fingers, and some frustration.

Maybe I'll try these out with my Vikor and King Hiss since I can't get them to hold anything on their right hands. It just really blows that the women can't hold weapons with large handles because their hands are too small. I really wanted my Teela and She-Ra to be able to hold He-Man's power sword.

I usually insert a weapon handle diagonally so it gets under one finger, and then it usually slips in fine. This line is fine compared to some others. There are some Toy Biz Lord of the Rings figures that are really painful to get weapon in hand.

Heroic Warrior
    The hot water thing is absolutely fine to do, I've done it hundreds of times with all sorts of figures,
    The other day I was drinking a hot cup of tea and was sitting playing with my daughter, who explained that her She-ra sword was Bent and had little lines in it ( were the rubber bands had been) so I popped it in the tea for about 20 seconds and wiped it clean,.... Perfect sword!!!,
    The thing with the ankle is a one time fix, boiling water, 40 seconds or so, pull her foot out, stand her up in a straight
    Stance let her cool for an hour or so,
    Done !

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    You won't have to worry about the plastic being permanently ruined, that doesn't happen with the boiling trick. From extensive experience with the JLU figures I can tell you that they did that not from plastic ruined by hot water, but from a really poor, soft plastic that was completely unsuitable for the inherently top-heavy design of the figures.