Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Star Sisters Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Star Sisters Video Review by Pixel Dan

Star Sisters review is live!

Enjoy! More to come!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Thanks PD! I can't wait for the NEXT video!!!

WOOOOO! I logged in as soon as I saw this. Loading this...right...NOW.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Very nice Review Dan!
    I myself don't mind the long pelvis piece of Tallstar. It looks elongated just as if Tallstar just stretched.
    And since I'm ging to display her with her extensions, It'll be no problem to me at all.
    Sucks about that leg peg though...

On a side note, there's something i noticed in most of your video reviews:
    The parts with you showing the figures is pretty loud compared to the closeup shot parts.
    Could you look into equalizing the volume of the sound of the filmed parts for future reviews?
    Hope you don't mind me asking that
    Last edited by Dragonblaster; January 13, 2012 at 09:01am.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Those pelvic pieces don't look terrible, but they certainly don't look good either. Thank the Goddess most of the other females in POP wear skirts that will hide those horrible pieces.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for another stellar review Dan. I find these so darn helpful, and my kids look forward to the reviews before we get the figs. It really builds up their anticipation...

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    WOOOOO! I logged in as soon as I saw this. Loading this...right...NOW.
    Tallly- Did you have any of the issues Dan had? with TallStars Leg and Jewelstars Paint?

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    By the way I agree with Dan 100 percent, that while fans surely want Glimmer, Frosta and many other higher profile Pop characters, adding to the Pop ranks in any way is a great thing.

great review!!! so excited to get these girls...my most anticipated release since their reveal.

Starla looks perfect. It really sucks that your Tallstar is messed up, hopefully, thats an isolated incident. I'm not sure if I love how her neck looks extended but I'm definitely using the arm and leg extensions...another beautiful figure. I agree Jewelstar is the ugly sister but I still really like her. A deep shade of red would've gone a long way in improving her but I'm happy with the final product as well. Glorybird is nice too.

So so so excited this set was moved back to January. I'll have them in a week or so and I couldnt be happier.

Good review Dan.

I'm actually looking forward to the Star Sisters. If I can't have the Sorceress this month, at least I'm getting three figures instead. It also gives She-Ra and Bow some much needed backup against Catra, Grizzlor, Leech, and Hordak.

I would have preferred the original toy colors though. Whoever made the decision to go with the Filmation colors screwed us over on that one. They still look look good as a group though.

WOW! Your video presentation of these three might work wonders as far as winning people over! Your particular quality control issues aside, these three look waaaaay better than they appeared in any of con appearances or some of the early online review photos. I'm actually looking forward to them now that I've seen them "in motion". I think they look pretty great lined up with She-Ra, Bow, and Swift Wind- the colors all look pretty good all together like that. Not that I'm going to buy multiples, but I'm assuming it's possible if you had more than one Tallstar to be able to stack more extensions to make her even taller? The crotch pieces don't look as bad to me as they have in some of the previous photos, but it IS something Mattel should hear feedback on and improve upon for future females (though I can only imagine styleguide versions of Angella and Glimmer suffering from future dumpy crotch- as I think all the other PoP gals sport skirts in Filmation? More reason why fans should clamor for actual toy-based versions of Glimmer and Angella- otherwise if they go the Filmation route they too might get the same granny panties... LOL!).

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Tallly- Did you have any of the issues Dan had? with TallStars Leg and Jewelstars Paint?

ka
    Nope, but Tallstar did have noticeable stress marks on her granny panties.

I guess I am the odd man out , as Jewelstar is my favorite of the 3 figures.

Thank you Dan for another awesome review

Heroic Warrior
    The general look of the Star Sisters is awesome. Although I thought at first they looked too girly, I have to say that Starla looks beautiful, and Tallstar's head and face is gorgeous. I COULD have bought them...

Unfortunately, there are way too many QC issues with these figures for me to buy them. They're sold 100 euros over here, and it is very clear they don't deserve this kind of money. The Tallstar flawed and falling leg alone was enough to dissuade me to buy this set.

I agree that the "diaper crotch" looks utterly stupid and bad. It's actually the only thing I don't like aesthetically-wise.

It is a real shame that Mattel wasted such beautiful sculpts with QC issues and stupid "granny panties"...

I feel bummed out... Female figures almost always have a quality and/or design problem. This causes me not to want to buy more female figures, except those who I really want AND who'll be made properly, with no flaws.

I really think that Pixel Dan's display of all the POP figures looks wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't buy Swiftwind because of the legs problem, and I won't buy the Star Sisters because of the QC issues. Let's hope things do improve in the future.

This was a very good and detailed review of the Star Sisters, Dan ! Please, Pixel Dan, could you show us some pictures of the Star Sisters with actual weapons and/or shields ? I'd like to see them fighting evil alongside She-Ra...

Great review, Dan!

Glad to hear someone else voice a "meh" on Jewelstar, Dan. However I agree with you that her cape looks real nice, and you may or may not have meant to subtly hint that it would be a good effect to have on Glimmer, but I liked that too!

Oy, I keep having problems with the birds' colors. Why doesn't Glorybird have paint aps? No different colors for the beak or feet, just all solid pink like she's made out of pink playdough?

For some reason I feel this set should be on sale at Epcot Center in Florida. It might be the colors and the slightly futuristic sheen on Jewelstar, but I suspect girls would love these toys if they were sold there (at $65, parents won't, but everything at Disney is overpriced already).

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Real quick on the QC issues...

Veebs from Fwoosh has reported that his are all perfect, and do not have the paint issues my Jewelstar has, or the peg issues my Tallstar has.

Tallstar/Gay.net also did not have these issues. As Tallstar mentions above, his Tallstar figure has the stress marks that my Jewelstar has, but no paint chips or irregular pegs.

So far, I seem to be the only one who has had these issues, which is a GOOD thing! This may just be an isolated issue, and I got an unlcuky set. HOPEFULLY that is the case, and the final product that ships out next week will be perfect for everyone!

Thanks guys! Glad you are enjoying the review. I do think after getting these in hand that they are all very pretty (Jewelstar to a lesser extent ) Starla is my favorite from the set, hands down. But I do love Tallstar's sculpt. The paint on these looks MUCH better than the prototypes I saw at Power-Con, as others have already mentioned.

I'll see if I can grab some more pics for you guys as requested, but I still have three more MOTUC reviews to work on, so it may have to wait until I get a little more work done on those.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Nie Review...Bring on Fisto! The true MOTU viking

I was looking forward to them, I love obscure characters (especially form POP), but the "dumpy crotches" look horrible. Tallstar's crotch is huge and the legs are still set so low, it just looks wrong.

Starla's hair could use some shading, I don't know why they did one solid color, it looks too "plasticky." Jewelstar's color is a turn off as well, red would have looked so much better...hopefully they will repaint these down the road.

I'm happy Dan really address the granny panties, we need to be vocal about this so Glimmer, Scorpia, etc don't have the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    and Tallstar's head and face is gorgeous.
    It really is. I seriously think Tallstar's face sculpt and paint applications challenges Teela as being the best in the line. (My faves are Tallstar, Teela,Evil-Lyn and Adora) IMO, her hair is also the best sculpt in the line.

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    Great review Dan, I'll pass though. They are very nice but it doesn't seem they share the same aesthetic updating as the other pop motuc figures do, like Catra Bow and She-ra.
    Last edited by Mamblo; January 13, 2012 at 10:04am.

Why do they keep using that longer crotch piece? It looks so stupid, get rid of it. And as far as articulation it's really amazing that none of the figures in the line are uniform except the fact that all with long hair, can't look up or move around very well. Some are missing the boot cuts, some are missing the foot rocker, some are missing the hip swivel.... It's so stupid what they are doing to the women in this line, It's not that hard to get it right, and shouldn't be for a company that has been around all this time, but sometimes you'd think they just started making toys.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; January 13, 2012 at 10:03am.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    By the way I agree with Dan 100 percent, that while fans surely want Glimmer, Frosta and many other higher profile Pop characters, adding to the Pop ranks in any way is a great thing.
    I agree. It will be good to add some POP heroines to the shelf.

Looking forward to the Sisters. They kind of remind me of the Magus Sisters from the Final Fantasy games--some ancient trio of very powerful women that you could summon to decimate your enemies. I also like their magazine colors better than the original toys, (sorry Jim)--more variety in the colors on Tallstar and Jewelstar.

Speaking of Jewelstar, I'm surprised that there wasn't much concern over her missing action feature than enables her transformation into a jewel. Was that a "choosing your battles" type thing? I think there might be a problem if Rokkon and Stonedar don't transform.

I don't know whether or not to display Tallstar tall or normal. Usually this is the case where I buy two of a figure, in this case one to display Tallstar as normal and the other to display her as tall. (I don't like constantly switching accessories in this line. The figures are hard enough to get and if something breaks or becomes weakened from too much changing, it wouldn't be easy to get a replacement) I think Tallstar might be the most popular Star Sister if fans want to buy more extensions.

Did anyone have the notion of taking Tallstar's face out of that hair, painting it to She-Ra colors and replacing it with She-Ra's new unmasked head?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

btw, this is who some folks think Tallstar resembles.

Famke Janssen

Wonderful figures but the big diapers are terrible and a big problem for me :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I also like their magazine colors better than the original toys, (sorry Jim)--more variety in the colors on Tallstar and Jewelstar.
    No problemo, though I have to disagree with regard to the variety in color on Jewelstar in particular. I really hope one day we can get the toy versions, along with their missing pieces, but it seems like a no-win situation no matter what happens... On one hand, if the Star Sisters perform well, I feel like Mattel will think it was the correct choice to go with the color schemes on the poster. And on the other, if they flop hard, they'll just say "Star Sisters aren't popular".