Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Star Sisters Video Review by Pixel Dan

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Which one is Tallstar?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    The gap caused by the low crotch piece on Tallstar is quite noticeable here; too bad we have yet ANOTHER design problem in the line, and one that may affect numerous figures down the road (I SERIOUSLY doubt Mattel is going to fix it; we'll get "This is your Glimmer" and "This is your Angella"). Too bad, because the figures look great otherwise; the granny trunks don't look that bad, and it's pretty much what they did with Bow. The Fab Four did a great job on them, and it's really great to have more figures we didn't get to see in the old line. I just wish we could get figures like this from Mattel without having to say, "They are great EXCEPT FOR (insert QC or design foul-up here).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    I had just gotten to the part where Dan starts describing Tallstar and it reminded me of one of the sketch segments in MST3K, where the Mads in Deep 13 describe an evil scheme to produce an action figure (Johnny Longtorso) that comes entirely in pieces, all sold seperately.

"He's long!"

Jewelstar is still my favorite, followed by Tallstar (one of the most beautiful faces yet!) and I am finally warming up to Starla. I really hope we don't have to worry about her pegs being like the ones in your review. Glory Bird looks really plain, now that I see him next to the other birds... was a bit more paint on the wings or the beak too much to ask for?

As always, thank you for the review!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: KAYO, Angella, Perfuma, Peekablue, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, Kothos, King Ahgo, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Awesome review Pixel Dan Glory Birdley. It's like a mini christmas every time I see that you have a new video up for us to enjoy. I'm so glad that Mattel chose you as an official reviewer.

One thing I would like to humbly request is if you would specify in future reviews whether or not a female character has those putrid BG Teela thighs. I can't believe that Mattel nixed Starla's boot cut, AND it look like she's missing the thigh twist as well. D X "Here's your Starla Star sister fans! She's 75% staction from the waist down!!! : D Because that's what you wanted. Period."

One thing I have to say about the Granny panties though: They look too big because the waist cut is so high, which is actially appropriate, because if it was lower, the panties area might look better, but the articulation would leave side-to-side movement looking weird, like BG Teela. They could be given a little more shape perhaps, but they're actually quite practicle. I think pretty much the only option that would look good, would be a one peice outfit, which of course, would greatly hinder articulation : /

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    These figures are ugly. I'm tempted to take them apart and reassembling/painting the parts to create a single okay figure to display. The bird is going right in the trash. Oh wait I can just resell them. I'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The gap caused by the low crotch piece on Tallstar is quite noticeable here; too bad we have yet ANOTHER design problem in the line, and one that may affect numerous figures down the road (I SERIOUSLY doubt Mattel is going to fix it; we'll get "This is your Glimmer" and "This is your Angella"). Too bad, because the figures look great otherwise; the granny trunks don't look that bad, and it's pretty much what they did with Bow. The Fab Four did a great job on them, and it's really great to have more figures we didn't get to see in the old line. I just wish we could get figures like this from Mattel without having to say, "They are great EXCEPT FOR (insert QC or design foul-up here).
    What I wish the 4H/Mattel would have done on the gals that sport the leotard, is something along the lines of the pelvis on Bow or hard plastic on King Hssss, except obviously tailored for the female form. The loose non-connecting flaps on the crotches are a bit disappointing to me.

Anyhow, I totally get what some folks have been saying with regard to using your imagination on Tallstar (i.e. "her pelvis is stretching"), however, aesthetically I still can't seem to get past it. (though for some reason it's not as obviously long in the toy colors to me) It my eyes, it's a bit more acceptable on Jewelstar, but still something I hope they fix in the future.

Filmation Gimmer & Angella will especially look AWFUL with this pelvis. (No imagining your way out of those...lol) This is going to effect quite a few females too; Glimmer, Angella, Octavia etc. (Just think of all the Filmation-specific characters that have the leotard)

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    These figures are ugly. I'm tempted to take them apart and reassembling/painting the parts to create a single okay figure to display. The bird is going right in the trash. Oh wait I can just resell them. I'll do that.
    Repaint Tallstar's head and stick it on BG Teela.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Nice review, Dan! I lol'd that you switched Tallstar and Starla's staffs in the review. Also, the neck piece is the one with the "cylinder" design closer together. You kept using it as one of the arm pieces. I only mention this because it might cause some bobble of gap problems. Did Mattel include an instruction sheet with the set? It might help with building Tallstar.

THANK YOU for mentioning the unappealing pelvis piece! MOTUC customers have been outraged with diapers/granny panties since Adora in January 2010. Two years to the day later and we're STILL having this problem.

Another problem I have noticed with the very soft loin cloths (Snout Spout, Jewelstar, Tallstar) is stretch marks and the paint comes off EASILY. This is because paint doesn't attach itself to this soft material as well. I hope they stop using that "rubber." I'm very certain this is why nearly everyone's Snout Spout has missing black paint on Snout Spout's belt.

Also, the Star Sister controversy is over their designs/colours NOT being toy accurate (and missing accessories). That's what most people said they wanted, but that's been discussed to death already.

For Jewelstar AND the Stone People, I wanted to them to come with a big rock that's their alternate form. The action feature will not work or be INSANELY expensive for this line (unless they rid them on 60% of their articulation). Besides the design and colour choice on this Jewelstar, I think they went the right route with her (except for not including a big jewel, that's her jeweled form).

Despite all the critiques and issues, I am very much looking forward to them (I'm getting three sets total). I just really wished Mattel and the 4H listened to us (customers/fans) when we gave feedback/requests all these years for how we would like to see the Star Sisters done. At least then the people who have wanted these figures for nearly 30 years would be really, really happy...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Did anyone have the notion of taking Tallstar's face out of that hair, painting it to She-Ra colors and replacing it with She-Ra's new unmasked head?
    I've been thinking about it.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Shenlon View Post
    I guess I am the odd man out , as Jewelstar is my favorite of the 3 figures.
    You're not alone on this, Jewelstar is my favorite too. Granted I don't have them in hand but I still think she looks great. I really don't have an issue with the pink, I'm not crazy about the orange and red in Tallstar though. The pelvis is a big issue no doubt about it, but it doesn't look as bad on Jewelstar, no in the video anyway. I'll be going with the "stretched" way of thinking for Tallstar so it doesn't drive me mad looking at it.

Great review Dan! I'm on the edge of my set waiting to see the Shadow Weaver review!
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

even though i have no interest in these figures, i'm watching it anyway ... ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Great review, Dan. This one is easily your best IMO.

I wonder if you somehow glued the unattached ends of the underside of the granny panties together whether it would look better? How do Tallstar's colours look in hand. They are terrible in all of the photo's I've seen. Pink Jewelstar was the wrong choice over red but Tallstar's colours are worse. Also, can you please take a photo of Tallstar with her arm and leg extensions but not the neck one.

Are you wearing a mood ring in this video? If so, it has gone an interesting colour...

it looks like jewel-star has a keyboard under her shirt ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

It's funny, with what I'm noticing on the review and these figures in general.

First off, I love them. I didnt care one way about them before they were revealed, but since their reveal I thought this was just consistantly a cool looking set and will be happy and proud to have them. So to the person who said they thought they looked better here than any time before, I'd just add I think they looked consistantly good the whole time, and perhaps it's just the in depth review that showed off just how good they already were.

As for the "granny panties" I'm glad I see at least a number of people who "dont see it" or arent bothered by it. I think they look fine. Mind you I dont need "skin tight" clothes sculpts on girls. They are fine, but not manditory. I felt the same about Adora's "miniskirt". Along with that, I think they just look like fine toy waists. Maybe not anatomically over sensualized, but I'm fine with that.

Mind you, I'm fine with tight sexy sculpts as well. Just not bothered at all by their waist section.

As for Jewelstar being the ugly duckling, again I dont think that is a "flaw" per sey, but just a part of her character. She has always, probably because of the neccessities of her sculpt, been the least attractive one. The outfit is just not terribly flattering. But that's fine, that's who she is. I actually like that some are prettier than others. I completely agree with you though Dan, about how I think it's her crystal tiara that messes up her facial image. I love her hair style and colour, and wish that tiara were removable if only to confirm that she's actually pretty beautiful as well. But heck with it, I am very happy with her look, specifically colour and clear crystal bits. Just awesome.

Sure, she's going to be behind Tallstar (the most beautiful one to me) and Starla, but she's there.

Other than production problems, which remains to be seen if they are common, I think these figures are technically some of the best. Jewelstar with her clear crystal bits and wonderfully painted cape, Tallstar with her beautiful vibrant hair and great colours, awesome "action feature".... Heck, I think that box display is perfect, and not too large. Glory Bird seems to be flying over a very cool scene, what with the moon in the background, and that cool design in the first place of the back panel.

Yep, this is tops in my book. Now lets just hope the production issues are very limited.

after finishing reading the posts thus far, I wanted to add that I got the colour scheme I was hoping for, and a lot of other people. All I can say is that while some get what they want, and others do not, I think it's obvious that the most common version of their colour scheme was the one that was chosen. Great choice. Much like how some people want Cardback Rammman and will say that "the masses" were not reflected if he doesnt come in that colour scheme, even if the masses are not accurately reflected, I would say do the most common version first of course. I myself prefer the TRU Stratos, that is the "Real" stratos to me, but I completely accept why he would come later.

So these girls reflect how they should be, and though I have no interest in the ALT colour scheme, if they were to release them like that later (I know, that seems very unlikely) I would understand. As Toyguru says, "Great refresh idea, down the line"

Why I am glad they went with FIlmation Catra, even though I sorely want a Toy Catra, and I very much hope she shows up "down the line", possibly Battleground Catra?
    Last edited by baronterror; January 13, 2012 at 01:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mk476 View Post
    Those pelvic pieces don't look terrible, but they certainly don't look good either. Thank the Goddess most of the other females in POP wear skirts that will hide those horrible pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Real quick on the QC issues...

Veebs from Fwoosh has reported that his are all perfect, and do not have the paint issues my Jewelstar has, or the peg issues my Tallstar has.

Tallstar/Gay.net also did not have these issues. As Tallstar mentions above, his Tallstar figure has the stress marks that my Jewelstar has, but no paint chips or irregular pegs.

So far, I seem to be the only one who has had these issues, which is a GOOD thing! This may just be an isolated issue, and I got an unlcuky set. HOPEFULLY that is the case, and the final product that ships out next week will be perfect for everyone!

Thanks guys! Glad you are enjoying the review. I do think after getting these in hand that they are all very pretty (Jewelstar to a lesser extent ) Starla is my favorite from the set, hands down. But I do love Tallstar's sculpt. The paint on these looks MUCH better than the prototypes I saw at Power-Con, as others have already mentioned.

I'll see if I can grab some more pics for you guys as requested, but I still have three more MOTUC reviews to work on, so it may have to wait until I get a little more work done on those.
    Dan, thanks again for the review.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention the fact that the pelvis pieces don't actually fit the coverings. I mean I'm quite glad that you addressed how ugly they look, but I think there is a practical reason for that.

It's clear that Mattel either used the wrong pelvis pieces (too long to fit) or cost cut and didn't tool the pelvis piece for female buck 2.0 that the 4H sculpted.

This is disgusting.

This pack is $60.

What is Mattel doing?

This has to be addresses. There was clearly a mistake made here, and I think it was made with The Sorceress too.

I wish you'd address this somehow. The more it is brought up, the less Scott can ignore it.

EDIT: I know I am making it sound like I think you didn't really bring it up, and you did. I just wish that "whoever" approved these had actually NOTICED this flaw. There seems to be a detail thing that is an issue with whoever approves things for this line.
    Last edited by bcrduke; January 13, 2012 at 11:49pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

cool vid but you are wrong on why we hate them

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I'm surprised that you didn't mention the fact that the pelvis pieces don't actually fit the coverings.

It's clear that Mattel either used the wrong pelvis pieces (too long to fit) or cost cut and didn't tool the pelvis piece for female buck 2.0 that the 4H sculpted.

This is disgusting.

This pack is $60.

What is Mattel doing?

This has to be addresses. There was clearly a mistake made here, and I think it was made with The Sorceress too.

I wish you'd address this somehow. The more it is brought up, the less Scott can ignore it.
    Agreed. Mattel really seems to be cheaping us on a few things, most frustratingly, the articulation on a line that is known for it's great (but not perfect) articulation! I'm still happy to get what we get, but I'd really like for Mattel to be more honest when they're just plain cutting corners to keep their profits up, while treating the loss ofarticulation like the man behind the curtain that we should pay no mind to, as if it doesn't matter.

It does matter Mattel. If you were honest and upfront about what you do to cut cost, and why you are doing it, it would be so much less sleazy, and so much more palatable.

So Jewelstar is the Khloe Kardashian of the set?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    How do Tallstar's colours look in hand. They are terrible in all of the photo's I've seen. Pink Jewelstar was the wrong choice over red but Tallstar's colours are worse. Also, can you please take a photo of Tallstar with her arm and leg extensions but not the neck one.
    The colors are not totally disgusting to me or anything (the pink hair is the best part, imo...I'm sure a lot of you folks will love it.), but I have to say my appreciation is almost solely based on the fact that the 4H did an amazing job interpreting the poster version into figure form. (On all 3, really) That's something that most folks can appreciate whether or not they're the best versions. It's neat in a: "Wow, I now have figures that almost totally match this old poster!" kind of way.

The issue that I have with the poster version(s) though, especially Tallstar, is that to me she just doesn't feel definite like the produced POP gals. I mean, I can immediately see what her powers/abilities are supposed to be, but color-wise it just feels like the original colorist didn't quite know where they were going with her. Very disjointed. Like they took every non-threatening color they thought a girl would like and put it in a blender. The colors on her and Jewelstar work a bit better when all 3 sisters are in a group, imo. But once you separate them...

Anyhow, at this particular moment, I feel like the bright pastel colors have a bit of a novelty feel, but only because we don't have our Flutterina's, Spinnerella's etc. of the POP line yet. Once we get all those, I think, for me, the Star Sisters are going to kind of blur together with some of the other characters and lose more individuality.

I dunno. It's weird, because Jewelstar was may 2nd favorite... now that I've had her for awhile, the basicness is kind of getting to me. Jewel shards on her body would go a long way in making her better.

I'm gonna point out something that doesn't seem to be mentioned here... If their boots lack the boot cut then Why oh why did they use the BGTEELA Thighs that reduce the articulation even more!?
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Heroic Warrior
    Gotta say that Starla is by far my favorite of the three. She is really beautiful, and I'm partial to the orange (as it's my favorite color). Tallstar also looks pretty, and her head would look really cool repainted on another female's head. Jewelstar is definitely the ugly one in the family, and does not appeal to me whatsoever. This is why it was a really bad idea to release them in a three-pack. I definitely would get Starla if she came individually, and I would consider Tallstar, but Jewelstar takes so much away from the set. She would've looked way better if she would have had her original toy prototype color.

By the way, Tallstar, you did a fantastic job repainting your set. I do prefer Starla and Tallstar the way we got them, but Jewelstar looks fantastic the way you painted her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    No problemo, though I have to disagree with regard to the variety in color on Jewelstar in particular. I really hope one day we can get the toy versions, along with their missing pieces, but it seems like a no-win situation no matter what happens... On one hand, if the Star Sisters perform well, I feel like Mattel will think it was the correct choice to go with the color schemes on the poster. And on the other, if they flop hard, they'll just say "Star Sisters aren't popular".
    Oh, btw 'Tallstar' - just wanted to say that although I wish I could come to your house and pose (play) your figures a bit, I LOVE what you've done with Tallstar. I LOVE the colours on her - I only get very few figures (mainly due to lack of finances) but I almost wish I could get a Tallstar just to paint her like you have. Great going.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadkiel View Post
    So Jewelstar is the Khloe Kardashian of the set?
    Khloe fits better as Tallstar since Khloe is something like eight inches taller than her sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    but Jewelstar looks fantastic the way you painted her.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafiS View Post
    Oh, btw 'Tallstar' - just wanted to say that although I wish I could come to your house and pose (play) your figures a bit, I LOVE what you've done with Tallstar. I LOVE the colours on her - I only get very few figures (mainly due to lack of finances) but I almost wish I could get a Tallstar just to paint her like you have. Great going.
    Thank you. It's stressful work for me personally, but if I get inspired again one of these days I may do a few more as giveaways or something. (since I plan on stocking up)

$60 for this defective nonsense?! They should have released Battle-Ram instead; if they wanted to wait on the big-guns like Ram-Man and such...
    Otherwise, another good review by the mighty Dan.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

I can't wait for these and I don't care who knows it!!