Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Star Sisters Video Review by Pixel Dan

Nice review. But it didn't seem like a MOTU review. I'm with everybody in that the $60 mark on these is way too much. I showed my wife these girls and wanted to know if we should resell them or hold them for my daughter which I wanted to do. She saw the $66 dollar tag on Matty site. She said, "Are these really $66 dollars?" I said, "No they're only $60 dollars." She couldn't believe the price. And she asked could we get $50 for them? Doubt it. So I'm really hoping we'll just give them to my daughter for her b-day.

I am confused as to why everyone thinks $60 is too much, the 3 single figures alone would be $60

The Guard Pack was $40 which is the price for 2 figs

Is it because people think they should have more accessories/parts?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    I am confused as to why everyone thinks $60 is too much, the 3 single figures alone would be $60

I think it's this. The Guards were basically 4 figures in one @ $40. The Star Sisters pretty much have the accessories that TWO monthly release figures would come with, definitely not three...and they're missing accessories their 80's counterparts would have come with: star explosion backpack (Starla's whole power/gimmick), Jewelstar's rock form (her power/gimmick) and Tallstar's waist extension and pants.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    they're alright....it'll keep me going until demo-man and bgel get here. And my windraiders

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sorceress View Post
    cool vid but you are wrong on why we hate them
    i wouldn't say hate them, actually i'm kinda happy for those who really wanted the star sisters ... on the other hand i'm just glad that i'm not a subscriber

For what it's worth, I think Jewelstar's face looks nice in person. I don't think she's ugly. Her narrower features (as compared to Tallstar) are unique/cute in their own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I think it's this. The Guards were basically 4 figures in one @ $40. The Star Sisters pretty much have the accessories that TWO monthly release figures would come with, definitely not three...and they're missing accessories their 80's counterparts would have come with: star explosion backpack (Starla's whole power/gimmick), Jewelstar's rock form (her power/gimmick) and Tallstar's waist extension and pants.
    If they don't plan on doing variants, hopefully we can at least get some of that stuff as bonus accessories with other characters. Tallstar's pants can come with Wizardess ala He-Man getting some of his accessories from the Goddess in the mini-comics.

Lookin' good. I'm actually really excited to get the girls!

Dan, I'm sorry your Tally and JS are abit wonky...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    I can't wait for these and I don't care who knows it!!
    I'm with you!!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesoullove View Post
    Wonderful figures but the big diapers are terrible and a big problem for me :-(
    People keep commenting on the "elongated" or "diaper" pelvis. I've studied anatomy for a good portion of my life and I can tell you all that these bucks are proportionate. The illusion of a dumpy crotch area is caused by the rotation of the waist. A females natural waist is MUCH higher than a mans, so when mattel and the horsemen decided to add a twist waist feature there is a line caused by the two separate pieces that makes the crotch look elongated. It doesn't bother me.

What bothers me about the Star Sisters is the packaging. Obviously Mattel used the box that they created for Swiftwind and it looks ridiculous. You have three figures set in the bottom of the box, with three to four inches of unused space above them. They tried to compensate by throwing Glory Bird at the top making it look as though she was flying but the rest is just empty space. If they were going to reuse the Swiftwind packaging then they should have set the Star Sisters in the dead-center of the picture window, at least then there would be even spacing all around... of course what they REALLY should have done was make a box specifically for the three pack. After all, they've done it with every other large scale or odd shaped item. It's a big disappointment, especially because I'm a moc collector

Keep this in mind. Glad the people who wanted them are getting them.It's many things and different for everyone of course. Strictly speaking for me it's the obscurity of figures. No love..no nostalgia. Don't get me wrong they look like they should be on those vintage pink cardbacks. That's cool for the core POP fans. I hope the POP gals I'm looking forward to have more of an EDGE. No wow factor w/ these. It's not the accessories...maybe it is the lack of effort put into them. I think their outfits and weapons could have been amped up a little to show more toughness/tone the colors down...darker/give them respectable weapons. This is the 1 item I wish I could skip. For me it's not a great way to kickoff the 30th Ann. of MOTU. Most people getting into the line right now wouldn't know who they are. So glad the A listers will be up for those casual fans.

EXACTAMUNDO! For $40 you got two figures that you could do a TON with. For $60 you get three figures that actually have less accessories than they would have had if they'd been separate single-carded releases. That's my gripe with the price. For example, let's say Glory Bird goes with Starla... that's fine... but then Tallstar should have gotten some more extension pieces included, and Jewelstar should have come with a large snap-on jewel-shield of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Death Weed View Post
    Khloe fits better as Tallstar since Khloe is something like eight inches taller than her sisters.
    I meant in the sense that she's the ugly one

I really wasn't going to watch this review in fear of it making me want to buy them!!

While it was a good reiew, per usual, it didn't sway me...ALMOST...but not enough.

They are too garish in my opinion. I really do look forward to some of the POP females, but am worried that they too will look too garish. I love the darker colors...it really does make a BIG difference. Tallstar ROCKS in the burgandy hair & clothes as well as NO blue! Ah well. I had no clue who they were in the first place so don't really care in the end. lol

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I like em, but they could be much better imo. Thanks for pumping out the MOTU reviews, Dan! I already commented on youtube this morning amongst the hilarious comments about Jewelstar's square boobs. lolz
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    I love the darker colors...it really does make a BIG difference. Tallstar ROCKS in the burgandy hair & clothes as well as NO blue! Ah well. I had no clue who they were in the first place so don't really care in the end. lol

A gift of sunglasses to you for being so awesome.

Another cool review! I'm actually looking forward to getting this trio! The granny panties issue is a bit puzzling at this point…I'll just tack them down with a bit of glue if it bothers me that bad in person. Over all…they look great!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

O.k. O.k. I actually watched this review. Have to say Tallstar is not that bad of a figure. Like the extensions. She really stands out more from the other two as well. But Starla & Jewelstar are just not that well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The colors are not totally disgusting to me or anything (the pink hair is the best part, imo...I'm sure a lot of you folks will love it.), but I have to say my appreciation is almost solely based on the fact that the 4H did an amazing job interpreting the poster version into figure form. (On all 3, really) That's something that most folks can appreciate whether or not they're the best versions. It's neat in a: "Wow, I now have figures that almost totally match this old poster!" kind of way.

The issue that I have with the poster version(s) though, especially Tallstar, is that to me she just doesn't feel definite like the produced POP gals. I mean, I can immediately see what her powers/abilities are supposed to be, but color-wise it just feels like the original colorist didn't quite know where they were going with her. Very disjointed. Like they took every non-threatening color they thought a girl would like and put it in a blender. The colors on her and Jewelstar work a bit better when all 3 sisters are in a group, imo. But once you separate them...

Anyhow, at this particular moment, I feel like the bright pastel colors have a bit of a novelty feel, but only because we don't have our Flutterina's, Spinnerella's etc. of the POP line yet. Once we get all those, I think, for me, the Star Sisters are going to kind of blur together with some of the other characters and lose more individuality.

I dunno. It's weird, because Jewelstar was may 2nd favorite... now that I've had her for awhile, the basicness is kind of getting to me. Jewel shards on her body would go a long way in making her better.
    I agree that Tallstar's colour's are not 'disgusting'; I think it's the orange - it totally clashes with the blue and lavendar.

On another note, I noticed by the Fwoosh pics that Starla is the only one without a painted face. I wonder how much shinier her face will look in person compared to the other two.

Great review as always Dan, but you are falling behind. The Fwoosh already has their Shadow Weaver review up

Looking at the close up of the faces on the fwoosh, the defects are a bit concerning. Starla looks like she is crying (she's got that weird plastic-melt that Bubble power She-Ra has on her decolletage), Tallstar has a brow wrinkle that could use some botox and Jewelstar looks like a chunk of her nose is stuck to her eyebrow. And (to be super picky), Jewelstar looks like she has no top teeth:
    Starla
    Tallstar
    Jewelstar

Dan, can you confirm if the staves are like He-Ro's sword (in that the coloured glitter is just a coating)?
    Last edited by He-Boy; January 13, 2012 at 08:20pm.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    On another note, I noticed by the Fwoosh pics that Starla is the only one without a painted face. I wonder how much shinier her face will look in person compared to the other two.
    It's nowhere near the level of shine that BG Teela has. On mine, I can notice it a bit around the eyes when I angle Starla's head around a light source, but it's pretty close to matte for being plastic, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Looking at the close up of the faces on the fwoosh, the defects are a bit concerning. Starla looks like she is crying (she's got that weird plastic-melt that Bubble power She-Ra has on her decolletage), Tallstar has a brow wrinkle that could use some botox and Jewelstar looks like a chunk of her nose is stuck to her eyebrow. And (to be super picky), Jewelstar looks like she has no top teeth:
    Starla
    Tallstar
    Jewelstar
    There are a couple flaws on the Tallstar that Veebs has that aren't present on mine. I don't see brow wrinkle. Also, the hair on my Tallstar is placed lower on the head, very close to that of the 4H prototype.

I don't see brow wrinkle.
    Between the eyebrows.

Also, the hair on my Tallstar is placed lower on the head, very close to that of the 4H prototype.
    Hmmm.. I wonder if we are going to see high hair (like He-Man) one some?

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    EXACTAMUNDO! For $40 you got two figures that you could do a TON with. For $60 you get three figures that actually have less accessories than they would have had if they'd been separate single-carded releases. That's my gripe with the price. For example, let's say Glory Bird goes with Starla... that's fine... but then Tallstar should have gotten some more extension pieces included, and Jewelstar should have come with a large snap-on jewel-shield of some sort.
    You have a point there!!!!!!

Well, there's no reason why those pieces couldn't have been included in a $60 set too. Some extra pieces for Tallstar should have been a given.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    I can't wait for these and I don't care who knows it!!
    LOL!! Awesome

I think it's two things: they are the same price as 3 individual figures, yet they don't come with what 3 individual figures should come with (and yes, the Palace Guards had a LOT of extras); and they are flawed... the pelvis is clearly wrong.. the pelvis covering doesn't come anywhere close to comming together between the legs, unlike on the prototypes. That's a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Trap-JAWart View Post
    People keep commenting on the "elongated" or "diaper" pelvis. I've studied anatomy for a good portion of my life and I can tell you all that these bucks are proportionate. The illusion of a dumpy crotch area is caused by the rotation of the waist. A females natural waist is MUCH higher than a mans, so when mattel and the horsemen decided to add a twist waist feature there is a line caused by the two separate pieces that makes the crotch look elongated. It doesn't bother me.

What bothers me about the Star Sisters is the packaging. Obviously Mattel used the box that they created for Swiftwind and it looks ridiculous. You have three figures set in the bottom of the box, with three to four inches of unused space above them. They tried to compensate by throwing Glory Bird at the top making it look as though she was flying but the rest is just empty space. If they were going to reuse the Swiftwind packaging then they should have set the Star Sisters in the dead-center of the picture window, at least then there would be even spacing all around... of course what they REALLY should have done was make a box specifically for the three pack. After all, they've done it with every other large scale or odd shaped item. It's a big disappointment, especially because I'm a moc collector
    I don't have a problem with correct proportions. I do have a problem with the fact that the pelvis looks wrong because the covering can't close over it between the legs, and that it makes the legs look set too low

I wouldn't mind the longer pelvis if the legs were pushed up a bit.

All I know is that the panty piece closed underneath in between the legs on the protos, and on these final products it seems obvious that either the wrong pelvis piece was used by the factory (and no one caught it), OR there was no pelvis piece tooled for this use of these female buck pieces.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.