Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning vacation to New York City!! PLEASE help!!

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar

Planning vacation to New York City!! PLEASE help!!

I am a country boy that grew up on a farm. I am not a BIG city guy, BUT have always wanted to go to New York City! For those of you that live there or visited, can you please offer me up bits of advice/ info/ points to take into consideration?

(1) What points of interest are a MUST see?
    (2) People/ Places/ Streets/ Areas to AVOID for safety reasons?
    (3) Places to avoid because it is a waste of time and money?
    (4) Ideas on how to save money on lodging, food, travel, points of interest?
    (5) Best way to get around the city?

Again, since I have never been to NYC or even to a city remotely the size, please help me out and offer me any information that would be helpful in my planning. Any information you can give will be MOST beneficial!!! Thanks!!!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; January 15, 2012 at 06:08pm.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Well, it depends what your interests are. For a first timer, I'd assume most of what you'd want to see is on Manhattan Island. You can get a place to stay just outside of the city and use public transportation to get around - basically, around here there's nowhere you can't get with a bus or train.

NYC is a lot safer than it used to be, provided you use your head. I'd think some of the stuff a first-timer would want to see would be the Statue of Liberty, which is off of Manhattan's Southwest end. If you head down to the financial district, which is where Wall Street (and the Trade Center/Ground Zero site) is located, you can see a lot of those sites, and either see, or pick up a ferry, to Liberty Island. (Battery Park is down there too.) South Street Seaport and area are great to see in warmer weather - not as much fun in the cold - but once warmer weather hits, there's always tons of stuff to see and do - street festivals, etc.

The heart of the city is in Midtown - Times Square (where 42nd Street meets Broadway) - that's only a few blocks away from Fifth Avenue, where you can see 30 Rock, Radio City Music Hall, St. Patrick's Cathedral, etc. Madison Square Garden, the Empire State Building, and Grand Central Station are all only a bit south of there, within walking distance, and Central Park and a number of big museums are about twenty blocks north - easy walking distance on a nice day, but if you're coming out in chilly weather, better to take a cab or the subway.

There are a clump of neighborhoods between Downtown and Midtown - Greenwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Soho, Tribeca, etc, which more or less all abut each other. There are other areas - Chelsea, Washington Heights, Harlem, that have their own identities but are in separate directions.

Long story short, your question's a bit broad. My best advice would be that the biggest draws are in Midtown and Downtown. Many sites are free to see, but the museums et al. will likely ask for 'donations' for admittance. Getting around is easy - it's actually really easy to get around without a car (given the massive traffic we tend to experience) - a subway map is a good friend, but the buses go everywhere, too.

A lot will depend on your budget, too. It's probably cheaper to stay in a hotel in NJ and commute in - I'd imagine the city hotels are probably pricier, but you'd have to shop around. (I live in NJ, so I don't have a real sense of hotel space in the city.) But once you're in the metro area, getting around is not tough. If you have specific questions, please let me know - I'd be happy to offer what advice I can!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

As a country gal myself, I have to say I wasn't impressed with NYC. It was fine for the first 5 hours and then I wanted to go home.

Don't go to Rockefeller center. Its dull. I'm sure the tree is down but the skating rink was small. Like super small. If you are acountry boy then this is something to pass on. Odds are theones you have at your local towns are far larger.

I hated the subway. In fact I would rather have walked everywhere. I felt dirty. I felt like I needed to bathe in bleach.

The first time I went down there I hit Times Square. Its pretty impressive to see it in person, or so I thought. And other places were in walking distance so that was nice.

Hotels in NYC are expensive. I was down there for NYCC. I couldn't believe the prices. Yikes. Also, if you get a hotel in NJ you can see if they have a bus shuttle into the city. Some might. I took a shuttle and not a cab back to the airport(because I refused to ride the subway) and it was cheaper than a cab, but not as cheap as the subway.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I actually just back from NYC and have visited many times. The subway is the easiest way to get around, although all of the lines can make it a bit confusing. I would get a subway map before and have an idea about how to get around on it. If you're flying, I would suggest flying in to JFK because it's a lot easier to pick up the subway from JFK than from LaGuardia. I've always had problems taking the bus from LaGuardia to the subway stop.

There are a lot of things to see and do in midtown / downtown Manhattan. There are a lot of Broadway shows if you're interested in that, although they can be pricey. I would recommend trying to get standing room tickets. Yes, you'll need to stand, but you'll have a cheaper ticket and have a better view of the stage.

A lot of the neighborhoods south of midtown - Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea, Little Italy, etc. - are fun. It's good to just to walk around and see what bars or restaurants catch your fancy.

Thanks so much Thatman, Divia, and Tundra_Torque for your help!!! Would appreciate more imput from others on things like safety, cost saving measures, Bed Bugs, best time of year to visit, when NOT to visit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Well, it depends what your interests are. For a first timer, I'd assume most of what you'd want to see is on Manhattan Island.
    I think we want to do what everyone wants to do. We want to see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, World Trade Center Memorial Site, Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, Rockefeller Center, etc.

You can get a place to stay just outside of the city and use public transportation to get around - basically, around here there's nowhere you can't get with a bus or train.
    We were looking at hotels in the Bronx since they are less expensive, BUT worried about safety and Bed Bugs. Maybe New Jersey would be better as you suggest. Also, worried about safety in the Subways. Maybe I have seen too many movies about thugs mugging innocent victims?

NYC is a lot safer than it used to be, provided you use your head.
    Since I have never been to NYC, I don't even know what I need to be looking for or trying to avoid. Anything in particular I need to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    As a country gal myself, I have to say I wasn't impressed with NYC. It was fine for the first 5 hours and then I wanted to go home.
    What did you not enjoy in particular? Did you enjoy the sites like Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building?

I hated the subway. In fact I would rather have walked everywhere. I felt dirty. I felt like I needed to bathe in bleach.
    Did you feel unsafe on the subway? I am really worried about that.

Hotels in NYC are expensive. I was down there for NYCC. I couldn't believe the prices. Yikes. Also, if you get a hotel in NJ you can see if they have a bus shuttle into the city. Some might. I took a shuttle and not a cab back to the airport(because I refused to ride the subway) and it was cheaper than a cab, but not as cheap as the subway.
    Yeah, I started looking for a hotel last week and prices in teh city were like $200-$400/night. I can't afford that. So, we found a couple of hotels in our price range, but they were in the Bronx and I have heard from others that that is not where I would want to stay. Also, lots of Bed Bugs reported on the Bed Bug Registry. Maybe I will look in New Jersey. Where did you stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    I actually just back from NYC and have visited many times. The subway is the easiest way to get around, although all of the lines can make it a bit confusing. I would get a subway map before and have an idea about how to get around on it.
    Thank you very much that info!

If you're flying, I would suggest flying in to JFK because it's a lot easier to pick up the subway from JFK than from LaGuardia. I've always had problems taking the bus from LaGuardia to the subway stop.
    Yeah, I have a friend that works for an airline and she gave me 2 roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the US, so we decided on New York. I will be sure to remember JFK. Great advice. Thank you!! BTW where did you stay?
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; January 15, 2012 at 06:36pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Thanks so much Thatman, Divia, and Tundra_Torque for your help!!! Would appreciate more imput from others on things like safety, cost saving measures, Bed Bugs, best time of year to visit, when NOT to visit, etc.

What did you not enjoy in particular? Did you enjoy the sites like Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building?

Did you feel unsafe on the subway? I am really worried about that.
    The first time I went I didnt go to the statue of lib but we hit Times Square and all the shopping places. The second time I went I didn't see anything I wanted to cause we got lost and didn't have a lot of time.

I felt nervous on the subway. I kept looking around. As a general rule I do not take public transportation. ...anywhere. So doing so in NYC was difficult. Like I siad before I would rather walk. I can hoof it. I'm healthy and see no reason why I can't walk blocks in sensible shoes.

I wish I knew which hotel I was staying at, but I can't remember to save my life. It was near comic con. A few blocks away.

I'm sure there are hole in the wall places that are cheap to eat, but I found NYC to be expensive and not worth the money. I found a really good pizza place next to our hotel which was cheap and the pieces were huge. Can't remember it though. Lame. I know it sound super corny but I wonder if packing some food or snacks might help you save on $$

In every hotel I go into I check the mattresses for bedbugs these days. In fact I did so last month and the person I was with was like "what are you doing." I responded "checking for bedbugs." I know that some hotel websites have reviews and some reviewers will let you know if the place has bedbugs. I think that might be a good place to look. You dont want to bring those things home!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Well I haven't been to NYC in three years now, but when I went I enjoyed
    Tompkins Square Park, Going through Greenwich Village, some of the small shops
    in Chinatown were cool. Union Square has a huge Whole Foods in it if you like the
    chain. It has a huge restaraunt in it that rests above the grocery store portion.

There is also a really nice Chinese place near there, I forget the name sadly.
    But it had some really great food for cheap.

For general tourism I would say go to Times Square just for the overblown
    zaniness of some of the storefronts like the TRU, and such.
    An acquaintance from Canada went with her boyfriend for New Years, and really enjoyed
    that part of town.

All of that said, I'm with Divia. I couldn't live there with the non stop go go go vibe, and
    the high costs associated with it. Sales tax alone made me break the bank.
    Here in Connecticut for example there is one statewide sales tax. 6.35%. That's it.
    In the State of New York there is a statewide sales tax. Then each county in the state has it's own.
    Then each city in each county in the state has it's own. Sales tax in NY can be anywhere from 7.25%
    to over 9%. I know it was around 9.5% in NYC when I was seeing that girl in L.I.
    Topple that with the high cost of rent/food/etc. it's definitely a once in awhile trek for me.
    I can get my city fix by going to Hartford, or New Haven. Still you have a much lower risk
    of dying in NYC than you do in Bridgeport so it's not all bad.

In any event I hope you have fun on your trip.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

I think we want to do what everyone wants to do. We want to see the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, World Trade Center Memorial Site, Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, Rockefeller Center, etc.
    We were looking at hotels in the Bronx since they are less expensive, BUT worried about safety and Bed Bugs. Maybe New Jersey would be better as you suggest. Also, worried about safety in the Subways. Maybe I have seen too many movies about thugs mugging innocent victims?
    Since I have never been to NYC, I don't even know what I need to be looking for or trying to avoid. Anything in particular I need to avoid?
    As far as bedbugs go, that's probably going to be a research thing - there's probably a site for that, for others to report their experiences. It's a risk anywhere, I guess, but I'd think the better the hotel, the lesser the risk. There are good places in the Bronx and in NJ - either way, you'll have to cross the river into the city, so I'd rate-shop and see what catches your eye.

I've personally never had a problem with the subways. They are noisy and crowded, yes - but if you are in tourist-y areas, know where your wallet and valuables are, don't flash money around - it's really no different from any other city. When you have to be more careful is if you go into off-the-beaten-track neighborhoods, especially at odd hours, like the middle of the night. But the places you talk about going all have a robust police presence, and usually have plenty of people. There's no reason to think you're any more at risk than any other city.

You should try to divide your trip up into areas depending on how many days you're here - to maximize hitting the greatest number of sites in close range without having to go up and down.
    So for example:
    Day 1: Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Financial District (Wall Street), Ground Zero
    Day 2: Neighborhood-hopping - Soho, Little Italy, Greenwich, Chinatown, etc.
    Day 3: Midtown - Times Square, Broadway (catch a show if you can!) - great eats, too.
    Day 4: Central Park, the MoMA, the Met, etc.
    And so on.

I would recommend coming in the spring or the fall. NYC's not much fun in the winter - the wind whips down the canyons between the buildings and lowers the temperature another ten degrees. You really get the advantage of the atmosphere of the city when it gets warmer, but there are also street festivals, buskers, all sorts of things more so in the nicer weather. If you like Shakespeare at all, there are major (free) productions in Central Park every May and June, usually with big celebrities. (Pacino was headlining either last year or the year before.) It gets brutally hot in the summer, though, so I'd shoot for either late April through the end of June, or September/October.

Yeah, I have a friend that works for an airline and she gave me 2 roundtrip tickets to anywhere in the US, so we decided on New York. I will be sure to remember JFK. Great advice. Thank you!! BTW where did you stay?
    We've always stayed at a friend's house, so I don't know that much about hotels. I just thought of a couple of more things with NYC.

With the subways, I've never felt unsafe, but I'm always aware of what I'm doing. I keep my wallet in my front pocket and I always look like I know where I'm going even if I really don't. You don't want to appear like a tourist, so I wouldn't have a camera out on the subway and if you miss a stop or get on the wrong train, don't freak out. Just get off at the next stop and, again, act like you know what you're doing.

The Statue of Liberty can be expensive to do and when we were there a week ago, I don't think that it was open. If you just want to see it and not go into it, I would suggest take the Staten Island Ferry. You can get on it at the south end of Manhatten near Wall Street. It's totally free and it's about a 15-minute boat trip to Staten Island. It passes by the Statue, so you can see it. Then you get off on Staten Island, turn around in the station, and come back on the same ferry. You can stand outside and see all of the NYC. We had fun doing it.

Also, if you're thinking about going to the top of Rockefeller Center or the Empire State Building, it's about $22 - $25 per person. We skipped out on it because of the price.
    Last edited by Tundra_Torque; January 15, 2012 at 10:10pm.

Movie mayhem!
    You should hit up Midtown Comics, Toy Tokyo, and Forbidden Planet. See as much Theatre/Music as you can. Just walk around the city and look around. I just love people watching here. Central Park. Oh also I believe 20 for 20 is going on on off broadway right now or soon. 20 shows are selling tickets for only $20. To get the tickets you just show up 20 min before showtime and mention 20 20.

Thanks everyone!! LOTS of great information!! I appreciate everyone helping me out!!!

In every hotel I go into I check the mattresses for bedbugs these days. In fact I did so last month and the person I was with was like "what are you doing." I responded "checking for bedbugs." I know that some hotel websites have reviews and some reviewers will let you know if the place has bedbugs. I think that might be a good place to look. You dont want to bring those things home!
    I have found the website BedBugRegistry to be helpful. How do you check for bed bugs? I have never actually seen any, but heard NYC is notorious for them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeviot View Post
    Sales tax alone made me break the bank.
    Here in Connecticut for example there is one statewide sales tax. 6.35%. That's it.
    In the State of New York there is a statewide sales tax. Then each county in the state has it's own.
    Then each city in each county in the state has it's own. Sales tax in NY can be anywhere from 7.25%
    to over 9%. I know it was around 9.5% in NYC when I was seeing that girl in L.I.
    WOW those are some high taxes. Didn't know all of that, but thanks for telling me!!

You should try to divide your trip up into areas depending on how many days you're here - to maximize hitting the greatest number of sites in close range without having to go up and down.
    So for example:
    Day 1: Statue of Liberty, Battery Park, Financial District (Wall Street), Ground Zero
    Day 2: Neighborhood-hopping - Soho, Little Italy, Greenwich, Chinatown, etc.
    Day 3: Midtown - Times Square, Broadway (catch a show if you can!) - great eats, too.
    Day 4: Central Park, the MoMA, the Met, etc.
    And so on.
    GREAT idea about breaking our trip into sections. Now I just need a map to learn where all of these places are...lol.

With the subways, I've never felt unsafe, but I'm always aware of what I'm doing. I keep my wallet in my front pocket and I always look like I know where I'm going even if I really don't. You don't want to appear like a tourist, so I wouldn't have a camera out on the subway and if you miss a stop or get on the wrong train, don't freak out. Just get off at the next stop and, again, act like you know what you're doing.
    More great advice. Thank you. I need to get a subway map before we go and study, study, study...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I believe 20 for 20 is going on on off broadway right now or soon. 20 shows are selling tickets for only $20. To get the tickets you just show up 20 min before showtime and mention 20 20.
    That would be cool! Would LOVE to see a show! I looked last week and prices were extremely high. Will have to keep an eye out for that. Any certain website I should be going to in order to find this information?

------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE: I know I am a big dork, but I just bought a few vacation guides on Amazon: Frommer's New York City 2012 and Frommer's NYC Free and Dirt Cheap. Hoping they will be educational and helpful
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; January 16, 2012 at 08:27am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

The subway generally is safe. Iíve taken it countless times within Manhattan late at night and never had any problems. It may get a little more dangerous the further into the Bronx you go, but I can vouch for its safety up until 130th Street.

Visit Times Square but donít eat or shop there. The prices are crazy even by New York standards. The closer you are to Times Square, the more expensive things get. Also, avoid the movie theaters in Times Square since they are another place where you can pick up bed bugs.

Thanks everyone!! LOTS of great information!! I appreciate everyone helping me out!!!

I have found the website BedBugRegistry to be helpful. How do you check for bed bugs? I have never actually seen any, but heard NYC is notorious for them.
    You will either see the bugs themselves or you will see black spots. If you google it you can see a ton of images.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    The subway generally is safe. Iíve taken it countless times within Manhattan late at night and never had any problems. It may get a little more dangerous the further into the Bronx you go, but I can vouch for its safety up until 130th Street.

Visit Times Square but donít eat or shop there. The prices are crazy even by New York standards. The closer you are to Times Square, the more expensive things get. Also, avoid the movie theaters in Times Square since they are another place where you can pick up bed bugs.
    Good points. I have had several people tell me to avoid buying anything in Times Square. I will be sure to remember that!! Thanks for your help! I do plan on going to the Bronx to see a Yankees game, so a little worried about that

You will either see the bugs themselves or you will see black spots. If you google it you can see a ton of images.
    Thank you! Much appreciated!
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; January 16, 2012 at 03:29pm.

I've only been once and it was just for a day; I was staying in Conn and took the train into Manhattan. I now have an old friend living on Manhattan, so I don't have to worry much about hotels. After a few hours, I just wasn't impressed with much of anything (I also didn't get to see more than Central Park to Empire State Building). If/when I ever go back, I will see more of off the beaten path stuff; I prefer it that way. We did that in Hawaii, and ever since treat our vacations that way. The food was meh (though I live in Louisiana sooooo). I guess if I had to visit again, I'd hit the high points or go at Christmas time to see the seasonal sites. New Orleans is and will always be my favorite city and stomping grounds for a 2-4 day get away. As far as hotels, yeah the Bed Bug thing is not coo. Just don't put anything on the floors and clean out your luggage (tossing clothes right into the wash) before bringing anything into your home. And you should be safe. There are sites and stories on how to prevent bringing the nasty buggers home. I typically don't mind paying 200-400 a night for a nice hotel (I usually will not stay anywhere with less than 4 stars); it is a vacation, treat yourself. Use a card with rewards and get some benefit. OR look for a job or do some work related activities while there and right the room off on your taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    New Orleans is and will always be my favorite city and stomping grounds for a 2-4 day get away.
    I have been to Louisiana almost 30 times in my life, but haven't been to New Orleans since I was a kid. My mom RIP was born and raised in the cotton fields of Louisiana before she moved to Kentucky to go to college. MANY great memories in LA where I visted my mom's side of the family 1-2 times a year. Need to take my wife down there to visit sometime.

As far as hotels, yeah the Bed Bug thing is not cool. Just don't put anything on the floors and clean out your luggage (tossing clothes right into the wash) before bringing anything into your home. And you should be safe. There are sites and stories on how to prevent bringing the nasty buggers home.
    Thanks for the info. I am going to do some research online now about Bed Bugs. I have never seen them or had them and don't want to bring them home now...lol.
    I typically don't mind paying 200-400 a night for a nice hotel (I usually will not stay anywhere with less than 4 stars); it is a vacation, treat yourself. Use a card with rewards and get some benefit. OR look for a job or do some work related activities while there and right the room off on your taxes.
    I am disabled and can't afford $200-$400/night. The main reasons we are going is: (1) because I had a friend give me 2 free round-trip airline tickets to anywhere in the USA, and (2) because I have always dreamed of visiting New York to see the sites and the Yankees.

I am disabled and can't afford $200-$400/night. The main reasons we are going is: (1) because I had a friend give me 2 free round-trip airline tickets to anywhere in the USA, and (2) because I have always dreamed of visiting New York to see the sites and the Yankees.
    Ah, yeah, that would pose a problem. I would look into more affordable hotels in Jersey and take a commuter train into the city. You may spend an hour commuting both ways, but if you are looking to save. I think our commute from Conn was an hour and half, and we spent a good part of the time on the way there planning last minute stuff and the way back discussing what we did.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I made the mistake one time of using a rest room in the subway terminal. It has become a joke at work with people saying "Don't go into the bath room in the subway in NYC...Josh went in and he has never been the same. He doesn't talk about what he saw, but we can tell it disturbed him"
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Ah, yeah, that would pose a problem. I would look into more affordable hotels in Jersey and take a commuter train into the city. You may spend an hour commuting both ways, but if you are looking to save. I think our commute from Conn was an hour and half, and we spent a good part of the time on the way there planning last minute stuff and the way back discussing what we did.
    Yeah, I don't mind commuting as long as it can save me some money...which it looks like the farther away from NYC you are the less expensive. I want affordable, but I also want safe and clean. So, we will probably look in Jersey and Conn.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    I made the mistake one time of using a rest room in the subway terminal. It has become a joke at work with people saying "Don't go into the bath room in the subway in NYC...Josh went in and he has never been the same. He doesn't talk about what he saw, but we can tell it disturbed him"
    So, what happened?

Huh, I made that same mistake; I gotta say, I have a fear of public bathrooms ever since.

Huh, I made that same mistake; I gotta say, I have a fear of public bathrooms ever since.
    You guys have me worried. What happened in the Subway restrooms???

OK, since you mentioned that - start picking your dates now, if the Yanks are a priority for you. Especially if you want anything resembling good seats. Yankee Stadium is always hopping, and the closer to game day, the harder it is to get good seats - and I know they've gotten expensive (more so) since the new stadium went up.

Yeah, I don't mind commuting as long as it can save me some money...which it looks like the farther away from NYC you are the less expensive. I want affordable, but I also want safe and clean. So, we will probably look in Jersey and Conn.
    You may also want to consider Westchester or Long Island.

Evil Master of Warcraft

So, what happened?
    It bothers me even thinking about it. For your own good just stay clear.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I ALWAYS stay at the La Quinta Inn & Suites in Secaucus, NJ. The bus stops right in front of the hotel and 25 minutes later you're at Port Authority... just minutes from Times Square. There's a 24 hour Wal-Mart right near the hotel if you need anything late at night, and it's a lot cheaper than staying in the city. I've been to NYC 5 times now, and I've stayed at this hotel 4 of the 5 times.

Best part is you get a free breakfast buffet in the morning. Eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, juice... the whole nine yards. LOVE IT. Ugh! This is making me want to plan a trip there!!
    MattOnDemand.com
    Because even your web browser wants me.

Nobody puts Bautista in the corner.