Thread: Nathan Bitner/Fearless Photog Interview Jan. 2012 Discussion Thread!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

Nathan Bitner/Fearless Photog Interview Jan. 2012 Discussion Thread!

In case you guys haven't seen it on the homepage, a new interview was conducted with Nathan Bitner! Part 1 is up right now:

http://www.he-man.org/resources/archive.php?id=942

In the interview, I found it VERY fascinating when Nathan said he traced Photog's head from a National Geographic magazine! I actually have a HUGE amount of them around the house from when I was younger. We got them second hand (library, yard sales, etc.) for when I had school projects, needed to make collages, etc. Anyway, I have most of the issues from the 70's and 80's.

I couldn't find exactly what Nathan described in the article, but I did find two different articles. I'm not saying this is the case, but Nathan may possibly be remembering two separate articles as one. In the October 1979 issue of N.G., there's a section on "Miracles of Fiber Optics" in which they are being used in surgery (which sounds like the story he's speaking of in his interview), but there are no pictures of cameras like Photog's head.

However, in the September, 1983 issue of National Geographic, there's a story about the Columbia Spacelab 1 and how the Doctors will be conducting all different types of experiments in space. On the backside of the "poster" of what the lab looks like, is an awesome picture, that almost looks like how the Fearless Photog could have been created by Man-At-Arms himself! Think Bionic Man (we can rebuild him)! There's also a cassette tape around his waist instead of the film reels!

Personally, if this is what Nathan traced/inspired Photog, I think it's super cool because this further cements him as a member of Captain Marlena Glenn's crew (in the MOTUC bio canon).

If this ISN'T the image Nathan traced, it's a pretty cool coincidence! I really would love to know if this is the image or not!

*Off topic, the March, 1989 issue has a story on Trap-Jaw Ants.

Last edited by Darkspecter; January 15, 2012 at 05:53pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Kick-ass, Darkspecter! (That second image looks somewhat reminiscent) I need to do a side-by-side comparison.

EDIT: Just noticed you added Photog. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Kick-ass, Darkspecter! (That second image looks somewhat reminiscent) I need to do a side-by-side comparison.

EDIT: Just noticed you added Photog. Thanks.
    Even if this isn't the image, I just had to share it because it's so darn cool looking! I should print a tiny picture of it out to be his schematics.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I bet that's it! Mayhaps you should send it to Capt. Atkin and have him forward it to Nathan for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I bet that's it! Mayhaps you should send it to Capt. Atkin and have him forward it to Nathan for confirmation.
    Good idea! Done and done.

That's cool, thanks for linking it.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Widget
    Say, whatever happened to part 2 of the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Francis View Post
    Say, whatever happened to part 2 of the interview?
    Part 1 was just posted a few days ago. I won't be posting Part 2 until February, in time for when the figure is released.

This is pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

The Power and Honor Foundation have given us concepts for MOTU and Darkspecter and Captain Atkin have given us concepts for Fearless Photog.

Everything is in harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Personally, if this is what Nathan traced/inspired Photog, I think it's super cool because this further cements him as a member of Captain Marlena Glenn's crew (in the MOTUC bio canon).

If this ISN'T the image Nathan traced, it's a pretty cool coincidence! I really would love to know if this is the image or not!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6...7d395f0c_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6...9a6073f7_b.jpg

I spoke with Nathan about that awesome picture from National Geographic. Turns out, he has never seen that picture before. Here is what he had to say:

Actually, believe it or not, this is NOT the one ... I think it's actually more recent than '83. Though it's odd how the camera is on top of that guy's head and how much it looks like the current head of Photog. It was a camera on a long, snaking tube (obviously blown up in proportion to show in the magazine's interior pages) ... it almost looks like it's moving through dark, inky outer space or something (if I recall correctly). I think there may even have been information on something like nanotechnology in that article. It's hard to remember that far back, but I'm quite sure that is not the picture.

Interesting, though!

Thanks,
    Nathan

Perhaps I should buy the complete collection of National Geographic on DVD and give it another try?

EDIT: I found a gallery of ALL the National Geographic covers from the 80's. I don't really see a smoking gun here though.

http://www.coverscans.com/571852/nat...ographic/1980s
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 17, 2012 at 02:54pm.

Start buying those lots on eBay, Eric.

Songster's Understudy SUPERFANben's Avatar
    Very cool. Love it!
    You getting a Songster figure will be my fault.

Has part 2 been posted yet and I missed it?
    Who has the Power?

I think im getting soppy in my old age, but found this interview a bit emotional
    WTB Loose complete Tyrantisaurus Rex and Laser Light Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    I won't be posting Part 2 until February, in time for when the figure is released.
    Any updates on when we can expect part 2?

I found this old article about the contest. Not sure if I've seen it posted before.

Young Toy Designer Now Master Of His Universe

Armies of Heroic and Evil Warriors had been battling nearly five years for mastery of the universe. Virtuous legions in the land of Eternia, led by a muscular general named He-Man, were pitted against the despicable cohorts of a skull-faced demon known as Skeletor. Nathan Bitner of Naperville knew little else about the struggle. America`s latest living room war, ``He-Man & Masters of the Universe,`` had all but escaped Nathan`s attention, even though the television coverage has been extensive. Twice every weekday, broadcasts from the front flash across television screens in millions of households, as the fighting among the grotesque toy soldiers rages from the ramparts of Castle Grayskull to the slopes of Snake Mountain and on into the murky shadows of the Fright Zone.

Nathan rarely looked in. He hardly knew a Tri-Klops from a Fisto, a Stratos from a Kobra Khan. And he had no idea that the unsavory Grizzlor had opened up a second front.

``I knew about Masters of the Universe,`` Nathan said one evening while sitting near his family`s switched-off TV set, ``but I had seen only a couple of the shows. That`s all.``

Yet, when Mattel Inc., called upon the nation`s children to design a new warrior, Nathan struck with the speed of a Battle Cat. He entered Mattel`s Masters of the Universe Create a Character contest and won $50,000.

Only four other children, out of 44,000 contestants, achieved that plateau. Their creations, along with Nathan`s Fearless Photog, are scheduled to appear in comic sections all across the country Sunday. Readers will be asked to vote for their favorites by calling a long-distance, 50-cent number assigned to each figure.

The ultimate winner will receive an additional $50,000 and a few other prizes. Mattel, moreover, plans to immortalize the winning warrior in plastic and put it on the nation`s toy shelves.

Sales of existing 5 1/2-inch Masters of the Universe figures, plus their various vehicles, battlements and weapons are expected to top $450 million this year, edging out Mattel`s popular Barbie Doll line by at least $50 million.

Candace Irving, an employee who speaks for the Hawthorne, Calif., toy giant, said Mattel officials had been racking their brains for a way to express gratitude.

``Obviously, the imaginations of the children were stimulated by the product line,`` Irving said. ``So we decided to reward them by having a contest.

``We get more than 100,000 letters a year from kids who say, `Here`s my idea for a character,` `` Irving disclosed. Those cute suggestions, however, ordinarily get no further than the Consumer Affairs Department, which returns them with a polite note. Company lawyers shudder when they think about some little tyke suing Mattel for copyright infringement.

Nathan Bitner, of course, had never written such a letter. He celebrated his 12th birthday on Nov. 2, and he had long ago determined that the war in Eternia was for younger men than he. Kids from age 5 to maybe 8 or 9, he figured, were into that stuff, pestering their parents for $6 figurines, deploying fleets of Battle Rams and watching the daily He-Man cartoons on TV. Nathan would rather spend his mornings boning up for spelling tests and math exams at Hill Junior High in Naperville, where he is a member of the student council, earns straight A`s and has already been elevated into the 8th grade, two years ahead of his own age group.

Nathan wins his wars on the playing fields of suburban parks. Although, he stands only 4 feet 4 inches tall and weighs just 60 pounds, he excels at wrestling, soccer and baseball. ``Nathan`s a competitor,`` said his father, John, a packaging engineer for Searle Pharmaceutical.

Already awash with scholarly pursuits and hobbies, Nathan merely glanced at the Masters of the Universe contest announcement that appeared in his Sunday Tribune comics section on Sept. 8.

His parents, however, were riveted by a picture that ran with the ad. It depicted a young man in a cap and gown, waving a diploma. ``Win a $100,000 scholarship fund!`` the headline said.

``I flagged it down for him, and told him it was going on,`` John Bitner recalled. Nathan`s mother, Mary, added: ``We`re kind of attuned to that now

--money for school and scholarships--so the ad really stood out.``

Nathan cheerfully accepted the challenge. To familiarize himself with a typical character, he asked his parents to buy him a Roboto, ``the heroic mechanical warrior.`` Roboto, like each of the 29 figures in the Masters of the Universe saga, employs a gimmick. His transparent chest is filled with little cog wheels. ``Twist waist, his gears move!`` the instructions urge.

With Roboto serving as his Muse, Nathan stretched out on the floor of his room and began making sketches.

The toy industry is so fiercely competitive that outsiders seldom get the chance to watch an idea grow into a marketable plaything. ``We don`t have creators here; we have committees,`` said a company source.

Before introducing a new warrior into the fray, Mattel recruits ``focus`` panels of kids and moms to examine proposed toys while psychologists and marketing experts assess their reactions. Two years might pass before a Masters of the Universe idea reaches the stores.

This year, as it happened, three new Heroic Warriors and three new Evil Warriors made their debut. ``We like to maintain a balance of power,``explained David Capper, director of marketing for boys` toys.

``My drawing took days,`` Nathan Bitner said. A drawing of a surgical endoscope in National Geographic looked to Nathan like a camera. He copied the viewer portion of the laser beam device and placed that upon the shoulders of his figure`s silhouette. ``It`s like a bionic head,`` Nathan declared.

Nathan drew a round object to be held in the photog`s right fist.

``That`s a reflector shield, something like a flashbulb,`` he said. And what about that screen embedded in the Photog`s chest? ``Animated figures of Evil Warriors flash across there,`` Nathan replied. ``If one appears on the screen, that means he`s captured it on film and drained it of its power. If it turns out to be a blank space, it means he missed. I didn`t want my guy to be somebody who went out and killed everybody bloody. I wanted him to be more humane.``

Nathan freely admitted that his father took a hand in the project. ``He sketched out the silhouette, I filled in the details and he straightened out some lines to make it neater,`` Nathan said.

``He straightened out a lot of lines,`` his mother amended.

David Capper of Mattel had expected parents would lend a hand. ``I imagined it would be a cooperative effort,`` he said. ``I see the process as something like a Cub Scout and his dad making a car for the Soap Box Derby.`` Employees of the National Judging Institute in Syosset, N.Y., winnowed the field down to 1,000 entries. A panel of independent toy designers, retailers and other experts selected the five finalists.

Mary Bitner normally doesn`t open her children`s mail, but on the day the envelope from Mattel arrived, she peeked. That $12,500 a year for four years

(starting when Nathan turns 18) certainly brightened her son`s prospects for a quality education.

``We were beginning to realize that Nathan would be starting college at age 16,`` she said. ``That`s too young to be away from home. At first, I think we might have to put him on the commuter train with his Spider Man lunchbox and send him off to the University of Chicago.``

If a majority of voters call Nathan`s special phone line, and Fearless Photog goes all the way, Mattel will throw in another $50,000 and invite the Bitners out to California, where Nathan will serve a full day as honorary Mattel president.

Nathan already harbors tycoonlike notions. ``If I can win a National Merit Scholarship,`` he said, ``then I`ll use the prize money for something else. A car would be nice. Maybe a Porsche or a Lamborghini.``

On the evening of the day Mattel`s notification letter arrived, John and Mary Bitner took Nathan and his sisters, Molly, 9, and Jenny, 17, to dinner at TGI Friday`s, a noted suburban singles hangout. The Bitners whooped and hollered so much that a waitress hurried to their table.

``Our son just won $50,000!`` Mary Bitner told her. The server yawned and said, ``May I take your order please?``

Perhaps Nathan should have slipped the waitress his phone number. The one supplied by Mattel is 1-900-220-2511. Anyone calling it between Sunday and Dec. 14 will automatically register a vote for Fearless Photog, who just might travel from Naperville to Eternia some time in 1987.

``That,`` said Nathan Bitner, ``would be neat.
    ``

What the heck ever happened to part 2?

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    We never received part 2.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!