Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Wind Raider's sales were "okay"

Dewds, it's not about selling time, but profit margin.

If the WR took weeks to sell out, but made a huge profit, it'd be a success. If it sold out in 2 hours but barely made a profit, it'd be considered a flop.

Companies are about PROFIT, not necessarily SPEED.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Dewds, it's not about selling time, but profit margin.

If the WR took weeks to sell out, but made a huge profit, it'd be a success. If it sold out in 2 hours but barely made a profit, it'd be considered a flop.

Companies are about PROFIT, not necessarily SPEED.
    I agree and in this case the speed did not justify that level of profit is what I gather

Look at the figures, fast sellout + bigger profit due to reused parts = continue with the figures, same with beasts

slow sellout + break even/slight profit = not continue with vehicles on a consistent basis

I really honestly think Scott just worded things wrong, okay is interchangeable with fine or expected to turn a profit, it just did not wow anybody at the top to say WE NEED MORE VEHICLES NOW (this being the crux of the entire thread)

So going forward I see one in 2013 or maybe 1 a year included in the sub to ensure costs are standardized with profit.....then again we already knew this so why this thread has 400 posts boggles my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The only thing is, I was never expecting more than 1 or 2 vehicles per year. Kevenn: I'm confused what you mean by regularly. Regularly as in a vehicle every quarter?
    You might not have been but if the Wind Raider had sold out in 5 mins I can promise you we would get a reissue and there would probably be more next year than just 1.

Kevenn meant that the bonus figures and beasts followed the same format, they were deemed WORTH doing and so they are being done more. Vehicles for the most part are one in done so it would require a more impressive showing to justify the need to tool a new thing just for a one time item (that is not Convention oriented or subscription oriented)
    Last edited by markatisu; January 19, 2012 at 02:54pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this so far since the thread is already so many pages long but....
    Scott mentioned the wind raider tooling not being reusable. The 200x cartoon had a sea raider which had similar body to the wind raider. some of the attachable parts could be changed and the color and it can be reused. Also the filmation cartoon had an ice raider in one episode that was a similar case like the sea raider. i think the wind raider can be used multiple times if mattel is willing to.
    anyone have thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    .....then again we already knew this so why this thread has 400 posts boggles my mind
    Hehe. Indeed!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    So going forward I see one in 2013 or maybe 1 a year included in the sub to ensure costs are standardized with profit.....then again we already knew this so why this thread has 400 posts boggles my mind
    I think it has a lot to do with what many are viewing as unreasonable expectations for sales to be considered better than 'okay'.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Maybe since the Wind Raider only did "okay", Mattel is looking to do 1 vehicle every other year? Since they're looking at another possible vehicle in 2013, that could be the case.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The only thing is, I was never expecting more than 1 or 2 vehicles per year. Kevenn: I'm confused what you mean by regularly. Regularly as in a vehicle every quarter?
    Yes. I think they were hoping sales would be so quick, they'd know there was more immediate demand for the product than what they'd end up producing. Then, they could justify doing a quarterly or semi-annual vehicle. I think it'll just be an occasional thing now, which I'm fine with. I mostly want Battle-Ram, Talon Fighter and the POP vehicles, which don't stand a chance in hell of getting made, sadly.
    Last edited by Kevenn; January 19, 2012 at 03:55pm.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Warrior
    TG managed the Green Lantern movie tie in toys, both the movie line and the GL branded DCUC line. The movie was... okay. Basically Howard the Duck with Ryan Reynolds instead of the Duck, So not TG's fault that he had a mediocre movie. However even after advanced warning that the fan demand was not there, molds were made and toys released of parallax, a monster who Mattel will never be able to resell in another line. HUUUUGE prop Lantern toys for roleplay. Those molds won't ever be able to be reused. These were just a few of huge molds and castes made of toys that can never be used again. The WR is a drop in the ocean compared to this internationally badly managed loss.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Maybe since the Wind Raider only did "okay", Mattel is looking to do 1 vehicle every other year? Since they're looking at another possible vehicle in 2013, that could be the case.
    I'd rather have 1 vehicle per year. Even if it had to take up one of the quarterly beast/giant/multipack larger item slots.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I'd rather have 1 vehicle per year. Even if it had to take up one of the quarterly beast/giant/multipack larger item slots.
    Me too. We are almost out of major beasts, so we might as well include a vehicle a year.

I agree and in this case the speed did not justify that level of profit is what I gather

Look at the figures, fast sellout + bigger profit due to reused parts = continue with the figures, same with beasts

slow sellout + break even/slight profit = not continue with vehicles on a consistent basis

I really honestly think Scott just worded things wrong, okay is interchangeable with fine or expected to turn a profit, it just did not wow anybody at the top to say WE NEED MORE VEHICLES NOW (this being the crux of the entire thread)

You might not have been but if the Wind Raider had sold out in 5 mins I can promise you we would get a reissue and there would probably be more next year than just 1.

Kevenn meant that the bonus figures and beasts followed the same format, they were deemed WORTH doing and so they are being done more. Vehicles for the most part are one in done so it would require a more impressive showing to justify the need to tool a new thing just for a one time item (that is not Convention oriented or subscription oriented)
    except there won't be reissues of anything anymore as per scott.
    but yeah all he had to say is WR did well, it made the money it was supposed to. the issue most of us are having is the hidden stuff, like they were banking on it selling in 30 min to go back into production despite the whole 'no more reissues" missive.

if I were brand manager or fan liasion for the line I would have said "WR did well, we sold out our stock in 3 days and I'm pleased with the reception it got. as we said before there won't be any vehicles in 2012 but it's still going to be a great year for MOTU fans!"
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    i don't think they ever had plans to do a vehicle in 2012. WR was used to guage the potential for vehicles in the future and 2013 was always the next possible year for another vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Me too. We are almost out of major beasts, so we might as well include a vehicle a year.
    Agreed, I'd prefer a vehicle in a beast slot. Say 2 beasts a year, 1 army builder set, and 1 vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    except there won't be reissues of anything anymore as per scott.
    that was never said. they won't reissue any new figs sold after a certain date (i think starting with Man-E-Faces). they left the door open to reissue older figures.

There never was a plan for 2012 vehicle for two reasons.

1. They need to see how the first vehicle performs so Scott can go to his boss and ask for more.
    2. All those resources are going to Granamyr.

Quote Originally Posted by EldestSon View Post
    that was never said. they won't reissue any new figs sold after a certain date (i think starting with Man-E-Faces). they left the door open to reissue older figures.
    sorry my mistake. still I think most of us are/were under the impression that anything new wouldn't be reissued.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Exactly. We got several major beasts out the way and they are amazing and I do want more beastly surprises but some of the vintage vehicles are just super memorable things. Like that "failure" of a Wind Raider they just released. I admire that thing often. It's a toy masterpiece. Also being teased by the Battle Ram years ago. Can't just show us something like that and never do it up so we could actually buy the thing. I'd be happy if they got just a few of the most popular vintage vehicles out. I don't think 1 vehicle every other year or more is gonna cut it.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

We still haven't gotten the 200x Battle Cat with the missile launchers.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    As long as Battle Lion comes with removable armor that will work with Battle Cat, so that we make a 200X BC.

I think fans would be comfortable with Stridor, Nightstalker, Battle Lion, Sleetah, Clawdeen, the POP horses, Charger having two slots a year. Unless we start getting unique guys like Modulok, Multi-Bot, Mantisaur and Sagitar.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

I know you're being funny here but don't give them any ideas!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I would have rather had Ram Man than Wind Raider.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Totally off-topic, but has anyone else slowly been driven to madness after years of seeing "then" instead of "than" in Scott's posts?

Scott has made a major update, clearly explaining the situation here

So we will be closing this thread and directing further discussion there
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback