Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Raider's sales were "okay"

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The plot thickens, guys...
    I was just about to post the same thing. Mattel must have really under produced the WR if the SS have already out sold it. Nothing against the SS, I can't wait to get mine, but there was a lot of hate going towards them and only love going to the WR. I'm sure they could have sold more if they had made them, but maybe not in the first 5 minutes. Mattel is so diluted in what is a good sell out time!

Christmas is not the time to release an expensive collectors item, and they are going to do it again with Gryamer!
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    The only thing I can think of is that the WR was not a legit sell-out, but rather one of Matty's infamous "pull-it-and-slap-a-sold-out-sticker-on-it" ploys. Otherwise, I can't possibly fathom how a sell-out is a less-than-stellar success. You sold ALL OF THEM. How much more successful can you get???
    That's what I'm thinking, although the fact that Poe Ghostal couldn't get a new one raises more questions. I don't know what to think at this point. The SS are selling better than the Wind Raider!?!? Does that include sub sales? I have a hard time believing a $66 3-pack of obscure characters is selling better than one of the most iconic vehicles that was offered at $45.

Unfortunately I'm getting a really weird vibe from all these answers, and it doesn't look good. Maybe I'm reading too much into some of them, but with all the issues lately and the answers today, I'm starting to have serious doubts in the longevity in the line. Is 2013 going to be 'sub only'? I'm starting to think so.

His response still makes no sense, because the WR still SOLD OUT. If it's a tooling cost issue, then isn't that something they would've been well aware of WAY before the figure went on sale? As in, during the planning process?? It seems weird to cost out a brand new vehicle tool and then complain about how expensive the tool was or that you wouldn't get a re-use out of it once it was already made...wouldn't you already be well aware of those things going into production? Or did TG just know the entire time that the WR was doomed to fail, even with a sell-out, because it didn't cost out? And if that's true, why even bother making it?

This whole thing is just bizarre. Someone make me a tin foil hat.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    "...and all of the re-releases are doing better then they ever have."

Oh I highly doubt this.

There should be a disclaimer on their website: "Sold Out" just means pulled from the website. It does not mean "Sold Out".

TG must think we're pretty stupid. You REALLY can't use ANY WindRaider parts in ANY other vehicle you decide to do later down the line? C'mon. Gimme a break. I highly doubt this as well.

So the WR did "okay"? Well yeah, DUH. It was sold around Christmas.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Heroic Warrior
    How bizarre!

The Star Sisters have out-sold the Wind Raider? The Wind Raider sold out, yet it wasn't a "big" success and only did okay?

The re-releases are selling better than ever, yet there are to be no more re-releases of any characters released from Man-E-Faces onwards with the exception of as yet unspecified "core" characters? The responses seem to defy all logic. Perhaps it was those accursed logistics again - they're always spoiling things.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Guys, just to take a step back here, would you prefer I lied to you and said it was a huge smash? I'm trying to be honest and give you correct info.

There was more tooling put into the Windraider then we would have used for a figure like Ram Man. It was a HUGE investment in not just tooling but man hours. I'm giving you the truth, I'm not going to mislead anyone. Yeesh. If I knew the reaction would have been like this I might have just asked PR to write "no comment" or "Mattel does not release this info" in the Q & A when they ask for my input on brand specific questions that come in.

Look, bottom line is the WR underperformed, simple as that. I do my best to always give customers and fans the true info. If you are going to hang me out to dry over giving you a straight truthful answer, I'm honestly not sure what I should do.

I'm not going to ever intentionally lie to the customer base. If that means sometimes there is bad news or not as good news, so be it. It sure beats giving out false info and giving people the wrong impression on how things perform. I would think above all you would want the truth and that is what you got.

Hope this helps!

OVERLORD OF EVIL mdhollywood247's Avatar
    Fine they dont want to make one for a couple of yrs whatever but to not to make another vechile again is stupid.

Scott we just dont get how a sell out is underperforming it makes no sense a sell out is a sell out.
    Last edited by mdhollywood247; January 18, 2012 at 12:36am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what I should do.
    !
    Make more Wind Raiders? They sold out in 3 days, so surely the demand is there, and wouldn't more sales further offset all the costs?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Guys, just to take a step back here...
    You didn't say "Simon says"

No worries big man, one's "okay" is another's "fantastic." We're a passionate bunch, it doesn't mean there will never be another vehicle it just means we have to hope extra hard. For what it is worth, both factions used Sky Sleds in the Filmation cartoon, why not give both factions a Battle Ram (different decos) if and when Mattel ever makes a Battle Ram w/ Sky Sled.

*edit "Both Factions" being Heroic and Evil Warriors. No offense meant to aficionados of factions outside of those two.*
    Last edited by slackrguy; January 18, 2012 at 12:53am.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Guys, just to take a step back here, would you prefer I lied to you and said it was a huge smash? I'm trying to be honest and give you correct info.

There was more tooling put into the Windraider then we would have used for a figure like Ram Man. It was a HUGE investment in not just tooling but man hours. I'm giving you the truth, I'm not going to mislead anyone. Yeesh. If I knew the reaction would have been like this I might have just asked PR to write "no comment" or "Mattel does not release this info" in the Q & A when they ask for my input on brand specific questions that come in.

Look, bottom line is the WR underperformed, simple as that. I do my best to always give customers and fans the true info. If you are going to hang me out to dry over giving you a straight truthful answer, I'm honestly not sure what I should do.

I'm not going to ever intentionally lie to the customer base. If that means sometimes there is bad news or not as good news, so be it. It sure beats giving out false info and giving people the wrong impression on how things perform. I would think above all you would want the truth and that is what you got.

Hope this helps!

Nobody is "hanging you out to dry" for being honest. People are simply confused because you stated the Wind Raider, which SOLD OUT on Mattycollector.com, underperformed according to Mattel. So what, then, does it take to perform well, if not the complete sell-out of an item?? It's just a baffling statement. Obviously I don't expect you to indulge company figures and tooling costs and blah blah blah, but like I said before...you/4H/Mattel had to know the cost of the Wind Raider tool well before it went into production. So, if the performance of the Wind Raider was less than stellar due to high production costs that couldn't be recouped even if the item sold out completely, why was it even made in the first place??

I mean, everyone appreciates honesty, but you can't really expect nobody to be confused about what you're saying here...

Yes, TG has never lied to us. I understand that. I'm not saying TG is lying. I just think there should be some things addressed. And TG never does address them like this issue of a sell out.

Does sell out mean all out (inventory wise), or just pulled from the website??? My hunch (as well as a lot of others') is that they just get pulled and put on the back burner. So nothing is ever really sold out inventory wise. Meaning, all gone. Every indication from what I can tell is that they never really run out of anything because it's always put up at a later date. So nothing is ever really "sold out".

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, eats like a duck, swims like a duck.... it's probably a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Make more Wind Raiders? They sold out in 3 days, so surely the demand is there, and wouldn't more sales further offset all the costs?
    Mern-Ra wins the thread! Ding ding ding!
    Last edited by TJRules; January 18, 2012 at 12:49am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, walks like a duck, eats like a duck, swims like a duck....
    ...it's a WITCH!!!

...it's a WITCH!!!
    LOL

Burn her!!!!!!!!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I believe Toyguru. I think the Wind Raider didn't sell "as well as expected" for a few reasons:

- lots of product for sale in December
    - expensive item (price on it even went up)
    - CHRISTMAS (people spend all their money on other people, not so much themselves).

I think big ticket items should be sold more in the middle of the year. That could have helped the Wind Raider to sell more. Just my suggestion/guess.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Scott here is a thought in the myp cartoon the episode Lessons i think when Man At Arms, Teela, and Adam visit Dekker they are in a sea boat that looks like a
    200x wind raider and since this is classics wha la there is your tool re use just color it blue maybe add something little to it.

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    There are simply things that are proprietary to Mattel and how we define product success is one of them. I totally get the frustration. But in the end, I can't offer more details on this, as quite frankly, I'm just not allowed to. There is a limit to what I can share with the public. I do try to provide info and clarification on the boards whenever I can, but there are some business details which I can not go into. This is one of them.

If I can answer other questions I'm happy to. Just head over to the Ask Matty thread on Mattycollector.com as I try to answer what I can as often as time will permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post

I think big ticket items should be sold more in the middle of the year. That could have helped the Wind Raider to sell more. Just my suggestion/guess.
    We wanted to. Dec became the earliest avail and we had to do it in 2011 or it would get moved to 2013 since 2012 was locked.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 18, 2012 at 12:57am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    If I can answer other questions I'm happy to. Just head over to the Ask Matty thread on Mattycollector.com as I try to answer what I can as often as time will permit.
    Can you please answer my question about the female pelvis?

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/4781023637

We wanted to. Dec became the earliest avail and we had to do it in 2011 or it would get moved to 2013 since 2012 was locked.
    Oh. That's quite the pickle. You guys did the best with what you had to work with, schedule-wise.
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 18, 2012 at 01:15am.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

There are simply things that are proprietary to Mattel and how we define product success is one of them. I totally get the frustration. But in the end, I can't offer more details on this, as quite frankly, I'm just not allowed to. There is a limit to what I can share with the public. I do try to provide info and clarification on the boards whenever I can, but there are some business details which I can not go into. This is one of them.
    I believe this. I'm a supervisor at Best Buy Mobile and there are things that I am privy to that are Top Secret and I'm not allowed to discuss outside of work, so believe Scott when he says there are things that he cannot reveal. It could cost him his job, and in the end it just isn't worth it.

There are things that Mattel may have wanted to see. Maybe they wanted a higher revenue per transaction, or a better attach rate, so to speak... to see people buy multiples, and most people only bought one. Maybe they wanted to see people buy extras (like Grayskull stands) with the Wind Raider to justify the shipping, and most people who bought Wind Raiders only bought Wind Raiders.

There are a million factors business and metrics wise that we are not privy to and that Scott cannot share with us without risking his livley hood.

That being said, any company that considers anything less than an instant sellout as just "Okay" is mad. I'm assuming whoever Scott answers to at Mattel is who determines the failure or success of an item, and in this matter I think they are being a little unreasonable. Just my opinion, but if something sells out in 3 days, that's pretty damn phenomenal, in my opinion.
    BergerKing's opinions and the opinions expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of He-Man.org, Mattel, Coca-Cola, the Catholic Church or the NFL
    I have a feedback thread! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-thread

Quote Originally Posted by BergerKing View Post
    There are things that Mattel may have wanted to see. Maybe they wanted a higher revenue per transaction, or a better attach rate, so to speak... to see people buy multiples, and most people only bought one. Maybe they wanted to see people buy extras (like Grayskull stands) with the Wind Raider to justify the shipping, and most people who bought Wind Raiders only bought Wind Raiders.
    It was hard for people to buy other items when Demo Man was not available to ship. The WR had a lot stacked against it, higher price, December release, paired with a repaint and a monthly figure that was not even in stock.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Thank u Scott for answering the best or what u are allowed to. I just hope sometime in the future Mattel looks back and sees there is potential for more vechiles in this line.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    There are simply things that are proprietary to Mattel and how we define product success is one of them. I totally get the frustration. But in the end, I can't offer more details on this, as quite frankly, I'm just not allowed to.
    There is a limit to what I can share with the public.I do try to provide info and clarification on the boards whenever I can, but there are some business details which I can not go into.
    I think thats enlightening. Sounds like Sold out does not always mean sold out ;-)

and that sounds like some very difficult decissions had to be made regarding the Windraider. I wouldn't like to be in Scotts shoes.

I understand there are things TG obviously can't tell everyone, and I also appreciate how he's straight up with us about things most of the time. In this case, however, the statement makes zero sense to anyone who isn't privy to Mattel's inside info, so in the end it just confuses the consumers/fans because it makes it seem like even if we bought EVERYTHING the items would still be "under performing."

My suggestion would be to perhaps address the issue in a different wording in the future, ie: "The Wind Raider performed well, but didn't end up costing out enough to justify further vehicles for 2012." That would actually make sense, rather than making it seem like it did "okay" simply because it wasn't gone before half the population got a crack at it.

My 2 cents, anyway.

This is for Toyguru, and I mentioned repaint earlier for the Wind Raider in my comments. TG, if you are still reading, would you consider re-releasing the Wind Raider in alternate colors to try and get more bang for the buck for the tooling used?

I understand there are things TG obviously can't tell everyone, and I also appreciate how he's straight up with us about things most of the time. In this case, however, the statement makes zero sense to anyone who isn't privy to Mattel's inside info, so in the end it just confuses the consumers/fans because it makes it seem like even if we bought EVERYTHING the items would still be "under performing."

My suggestion would be to perhaps address the issue in a different wording in the future, ie: "The Wind Raider performed well, but didn't end up costing out enough to justify further vehicles for 2012." That would actually make sense, rather than making it seem like it did "okay" simply because it wasn't gone before half the population got a crack at it.

My 2 cents, anyway.
    I think that is exactly the issue here, a confusing choice of words.

I also like when TG shares with us, even if it has to be vague.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Whatever the factors may be to make the Wind Raider just an
    "Okay" Sellout for Mattel, it is the way it is...

That said, I really, really hope to see some Sky Sleds in 2013!!!
    It should be a one part mold most likely and a prototype already exists
    since it's just the front part of the Battle Ram!
    Sky Sleds can be considered small or mini vehicles,
    or if vehicle is completely dropped,
    maybe the Sky Sled can be considered an over-sized accessory?
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Mara, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Blast-Attak, Hunga the Harpy, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Dragstor, Imp, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn