Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Raider's sales were "okay"

Huge custard eating power flaming_knob's Avatar
    We now need a Roton. WR sold out in a few days... I believe Roton would do the same.

If they are worried about using shared parts go for Stridor/Night Stalker... Unless they consider them Beasts.
    We don't need no education...

Yes you do, you've just used a double negative!

Quote Originally Posted by flaming_knob View Post
    If they are worried about using shared parts go for Stridor/Night Stalker... Unless they consider them Beasts.
    I'm pretty sure that TG has already addressed this issue. Stridor and Night Stalker will be treated like beasts.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

So does this mean the end of vehicles in the line? That answer about Matty about moving away from skus that don't sell well doesn't sound good...
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Maybe Mattel could re-release the Wind Raider around tax time, when people are known to get lots of money? Perhaps the reason why the Wind Raiders didn't sell so well is because it was on sale 10 days away from Christmas? Or the shipping--people wouldn't have gotten it in time for Christmas, so they skipped it?

Maybe we should look into why some fans didn't buy a Wind Raider?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Maybe we should look into why some fans didn't buy a Wind Raider?
    Poll time! Where's Mr. Shokoti? He LOVES creating polls!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

My wind raider order is the only thing I regret buying in my entire history as a MOTU collector. 33 days later and it still hasn't shipped, if I could cancel the entire order right now I would do so happily. So I'm not really broken up to hear the sales didn't meet expectations, as I myself wish I hadn't bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    There are simply things that are proprietary to Mattel and how we define product success is one of them. I totally get the frustration. But in the end, I can't offer more details on this, as quite frankly, I'm just not allowed to. There is a limit to what I can share with the public. I do try to provide info and clarification on the boards whenever I can, but there are some business details which I can not go into. This is one of them.

Seriously? For real?

You know, I believe you when you say this, but you know what? It would have been better not to say anything at all then. Telling the public half of something and then going "I can't say anymore" is in no way, shape or form constructive. If you can't explain something fully, just don't bring it up, at best it's going to stir people up (as it has), and at worst it looks childish. "I know something you don't, and I wish I could tell you, but..."

You don't have to answer questions like this in the first place. You're great at avoiding questions you don't want to answer, like Swiftwind's legs, or Quality control issues, or Digital Rivers never ending parade of follies. Yet I've never seen you pass up a chance to chime in and remind us we aren't buying at levels which meet your expectations.

I know I say this a lot and I don't say it to be cruel, but seriously dude, look at Darryl DePriest and the immaculately professional way he handles things. This line would run so much smoother if you just asked yourself every time, before you start typing "What would Darryl do?"

There are simply things that are proprietary to Mattel and how we define product success is one of them. I totally get the frustration. But in the end, I can't offer more details on this, as quite frankly, I'm just not allowed to. There is a limit to what I can share with the public. I do try to provide info and clarification on the boards whenever I can, but there are some business details which I can not go into. This is one of them.
    That's cool and makes sense and I'm sure many of us have had to sign some kind of confidentiality agreement at some point for work. Given this, could you tell us what sell out time would have put the Wind Raider into the 'great success' category? 48 hour sell out? 24 hour sell out? Or would it have had to have sold out in like 30 minutes to get out of the 'okay' category?

Thank you!!!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

I'm guessing any product that stays on the site for 2 days or more is seen by Mattel as going "stale".
    So even though it may (or may not actually) have sold out, it's obvious that there isn't the high demand for vehicles as thay had hoped.

I'm also disapointed to be getting a fat red expensive dragon next year instead of the Talon Fighter. But I'll still buy him to support the line.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    There was more tooling put into the Windraider then we would have used for a figure like Ram Man.
    So.... why didnt you guys just release Ram Man? Mattel knows we've wanted him as a TOP priority when something like wind raider could have waited till a time when money was easier.

As a realist, I know its not YOUR fault Scott. But I am gunna be honest here, the LINE as a WHOLE, is loosing steam and subs are down because of a INFERIOR product. Terrible paint apps and loose joints arent helping being topped off with DR's crap service. I skipped WR and some recent figures because I feel for 30 bucks a figure I should get something done at least 3/4 right, and not pray my figure is decent, its just not worth the stress.

If fans are skipping things like the Wind Raider (presumably due to bad cust service and bad paint & joints) , wich is VERY important, do you REALLY expect them to buy random nonsence like the Star Sisters, Spector, Create A Figures, Illumina (sorry to everyone that would kill their first born to own this figure). Think about it broski.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    So.... why didnt you guys just release Ram Man? Mattel knows we've wanted him as a TOP priority when something like wind raider could have waited till a time when money was easier.
    Doubtful it works that way. Executives seem to be weird about SKUs, and i bet they would be willing to test a "Vehicle" SKU but not be willing to put the money that would have gone to that "Vehicle SKU" into something like an extra two uniquely tooled figures for the line. They don't really care what figures we get, as long as we are buying the figures. I know it doesn't make sense, but executives don't often seem to think logically. For example:

I wouldn't be surprised if the interaction would go something like this:

"Manager: Well, instead of a vehicle why don't you let us use those tooling dollars for a few extra figures that would cost more to tool than a normal monthly figure?

Exec: No. You already have plenty of figure SKUs to fill out the year and the figures already sell well regardless of the tooling put into them. If the Horsemen can't tool the figure with the normal monthly tooling budget then you don't need to make it, as it is not cost effective. You either use this money for a new vehicle SKU or not at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Think about it broski.
    WWWYKI
    BergerKing's opinions and the opinions expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of He-Man.org, Mattel, Coca-Cola, the Catholic Church or the NFL
    I have a feedback thread! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-thread

Heroic Warrior
    It's annoying to read this when I'm still waiting for my two WRs to ship. We had the same old 'Sold Out' nonsense and now we're told this.

The point has already been made about issuing unwanted figures. Let's just hope the logical choice of keeping WR available on the site this year is taken up.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I'm really confused. What was meant to happen that didn't? How could the Wind Raider have done any better. Were we supposed to buy figures to go with it? Was the fact that it didn't generate more add-on sales? Of course, less than 'stellar' sales had nothing to do with the total mess that is the availability of EVERYTHING at the moment. There is a truckload of product coming out and we are buying it all. Should we be buying from other lines too?

What are we not doing?

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in Toy Guru's response to our response. Are we not allowed to express anything other that glowing praise? Give me a break.

The message I got was "although the Wind Raider sold out in 3 days it wasn't good enough and I can't tell you why. And I'm not going to tell you anything anymore unless you sing my praises in response."

Heroic Warrior
    I don't understand how if something sells out it really matters how long it takes? They've already made all the product; If it all sells out, they still recoup their money likely 2x what it costs to make the item in question. So all this hemming and hawing about the time frame affecting things is complete BS IMO. What, as many people have asked, happened to the original statement in regards to making everything available for a longer period? Then again, "corporate logic" is a complete misnomer, so...
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    I don't need or want every vehicle that made a cameo in one episode or another but I would REALLY like to see the Battle Ram and maybe Skeletor's MYP Chariot.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

This is THE BEST mattel update ever. Sure im not pleased about the information given, I too want every vehicle ever.... but he explained WHY it under performed. It makes sense, you cant re-use any of the wind raider parts for other things .... and he was HONEST about it.

I HATE when they do that lame "no reply", "wait and see!" "we havent talking about that yet" "we arent talking about anything past thunder punch he-man", "we dont release that info to the public" ..... if matter ALWAYS replied like this, and let us know what was up, we wouldnt second guess or chat amongst ourselves about what is "really going on".

Anyone that has a problem with this, and is giving Mattel a hard time about this reply. SHAME ON YOU, the truth, the facts, always lead to a better place than lies.

This is like the only time I am actually pleased, and proud of Mattel ..... THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY
    Religion = The Horde
    Atheism = The Great Rebellion

Heroic Warrior
    I bet they don't consider it "good" because it didn't sell out that fast, only thinking that if it were put up again at a later date, it would take even longer, and the majority of what they initially wanted to sell, has already been sold to who "really" wanted it. It's a 1 off, so they will have a hard time reusing the tooling for anything else. Given that fact, if they were to put it up again, it might not sell out a second run. It's a shame, it's such a great piece. I showed it to some friends who aren't even in to MOTU and they thought it was amazing. If they really wanted to reuse the tooling, they could do one up al-la Skeletor , black and purple, with a ram's head on the front, and bat wings. Or, they could do what they did in the 80's and package one with a unique figure, compleatists would buy it just for the figure....unfortunately :P
    Last edited by manowar; January 18, 2012 at 04:03am.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickfa View Post
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY
    QFT.

I'm disappointed with this news, but I completely appreciate that there is a busisness side to this and if the toy didn't do well then it didn't do well.
    As a fan it makes me nervous, and upset that the future doesn't look awesome for more vehicles - especially as the Wind Raider is one of the best things to come out of the line in a while.

Thanks Toyguru.

I too am happy about receiving an straight-forward answer. It's sad that Wind Raider underperformed and I hope BattleRam still gets made (or atleast the Sky-Sled!). But I'm also happy that we got Wind Raider - it alone is more vehicles than I ever expected!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Overall the line is doing great and even the Jan figures are doing awesome. Star Sisters is close to selling out (they have already well surpassed the WR in sales)
    Okay, wait a minute!
    How is that a surprise?! the Star Sister were part of the sub, Mattel knows how many were produced, if the Wind Raider sold out, it means they depleted all the production. And that production was probably lower than the Star Sister production (must have been, or the Star Sister would have no chance to surpass WR). So, how anybody could have even expected the Wind Raider to do better than the Star Sisters? I'm totally confused.
    I'm not saying anyone is lying, but there is definitely something wrong here.

And yes, a sell-out is a sell-out.
    They produced them according to the number they expected to sell, especially to justify the tooling cost. They sold all of them.
    The only thing that makes remotely sense is that they expected people to buy more of the other products along with the WR. Which is still a weird expectation, given the cost and the timing.

Another hideous statement by the ol' mighty Mattel!!! I've never seen such a company that keeps blaming its customers for its incompetence and sales!
    Honestly, I won't be surprised if Toyguru says in the future teh lien is dead because his lame figure incarnation The Mighty-Spector didn't perform well!
    The way things look, I don't think I'll be subscribing next year...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Items getting pushed back is a phenomenon that is getting out of hand, and in my opinion has now played a role in the potential lack of future of vehicles in the line. If the Wind Raider had stayed in October, I'm sure it would have sold out somewhat faster. December is a tough month.
    At this point I'll manage my own expectations and accept that they likely won't ever make the Battle Ram. Oh well.

The ultimate Irony was I was gonna order another before it sold out.........
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

"Even though it sold out, it under-performed, for reasons we can't tell you." That's not really being straight forward, its more of a half answer, the equivalent of saying 'because I said so'. If he can't tell us why, I understand that, but then he shouldn't have said anything at all, especially when all the facts presented to us, the customers, say the opposite.

Did they expect the Wind Raiders to get cozy in the warehouse and make little baby Wind Raiders that they could sell for pure profit? If its a tooling issue, they would've known about it before they made them, right? Did it not sell out fast enough, compared to BC back in February of 2010 when the line was just starting to get hot and everything was under produced? I know nothing of the business structure of Mattel and in particular the Classics brand, only what I can ascertain from previous business experience, previous posts about the line and common sense, but if you make X number of product and sell X number of product, how is that not a good thing? What unreasonable expectations could they have possibly had? Or, was the product pulled? Maybe its cheaper to have a storage unit full of Wind Raiders, Gygors and Palace Guards then having to pay DR to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickfa View Post
    This is THE BEST mattel update ever. Sure im not pleased about the information given, I too want every vehicle ever.... but he explained WHY it under performed. It makes sense, you cant re-use any of the wind raider parts for other things .... and he was HONEST about it.
    So they designed, tooled, manufactured and sold (OUT) and item that hod no chance of exceeding anything other than "ok" sales? It doesn't make sense to me. Surely they forecast the sales figures based on different outcomes, regardless of how many unique, un-reusable parts it contains. It's not like the cost to manufacture or the fact that it contained no reusable parts were a surprise.

Have a look at the palisades Muppets line. Not only did the playsets contain NO reusable parts, they were chock-o-block FULL of items and came with a brand new figure. It is possible to successfully manufacture and sell an item without having to rely on re-using parts.

Maybe the cost to manufacture ended up being higher than they expected and gave a price point too early? They raised the price by $5 but maybe that wasn't realistically enough. They would know that it would have been be a PR nightmare to have raised the price any higher. I would have preferred that he said "it performed well but the profit margin was too small for us to risk making another vehicle".

Edit: If the Star sisters aren't such a disappointment, then the answer is easy - include the next vehicle in the sub.
    Last edited by He-Boy; January 18, 2012 at 05:19am.

This concept of 'underperforming' 3 day sell outs is indeed a mindboggler.

I still want my Roton, Attak-Trak, Battle Ram, Collector and Horde sled vehicles.

Also, still want Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain playsets.

I bet all these will sell out like everything else MOTUC.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199