Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Raider's sales were "okay"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Wind Raider's sales were "okay"

The Fwoosh's 1/17/2012 Q&A reveals that the Wind Raider wasn't the runaway hit that BattleCat was.

5. Can you give us a status update on the success of the Wind Raider? We know you have (unfortunately) said that there will not be another vehicle in 2012, but was the WR successful enough to continue on with more vehicles?

The Windraider did “okay”. While we didn’t need to quite see the sell out Battlecat had in his first release, his fast sell out did help justify keeping the large scale beast assortment going. At this time, due the extremly high tooling and “one use” of any vehicle tool (i.e. no shared parts) we aren’t locked into more vehicles for the 2012. As we gear up for 2013 we will look into whether a vehicle will work based on how the Windraider performed.
    Discuss.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

If we only get one more, we must get that Battle Ram.
    That's all I have to say on the matter.
    Well, that, and this can't look good for Castle Grayskull...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Fwoosh's 1/17/2012 Q&A reveals that the Wind Raider wasn't the runaway hit that BattleCat was.

Discuss.
    That ****** me off to no end. "Okay"? It sold out, didn't it? Just because it didn't sell out in hours? My god. If it sold out in days, why couldn't we do a freakin' Roton or Land Shark or Battle Ram? These are hotly desired vehicles. Don't give us a large beast in its place. Give us a highly-sought-after vehicle in 2013 and it will sell out.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

At the very least, they have to make a vehicle for the Evil Warriors. Roton is the logical choice. The fact is, Wind Raider does share parts with Roton, as they can both use the same display stand!
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; January 17, 2012 at 06:00pm.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It's always the same thing. The good guys get their crap and then they leave the bad guys hanging. I guess the Evil Warriors are hoofing it...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

If we get a Roton over the Battle Ram we saw, I'll throw a massive hissy fit.

Delay plus higher price point around Christmas...what did they expect?!?!

Gotta love how they want things to last a while till they do and then that's bad lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Delay plus higher price point around Christmas...what did they expect?!?!

Gotta love how they want things to last a while till they do and then that's bad lol
    C'mon now, you know WE are to blame for this. I feel like punching someone.

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Mattel just cheapens out, yet again !

It's just a matter of REUSE (= COST-CUTTING), as we can all see...

Since several months, now, Mattel and Toyguru have been sending many alarming signals. I come to think that they actually DON'T WANT to develop this line for much longer... No media, no customer service (sorry, DR/Matty cannot be considered as such), no playset (and maybe no more vehicles ?), delays galore, shipping issues, bad website, QC issues, rise of the MOTUC items' price... do I really need to keep going ?

I think we'll be EXTREMELY lucky if this line makes it until the end of 2013.
    Last edited by Prahvus; January 17, 2012 at 06:06pm.

It's a shame, but honestly - and I've said this before - I think they just need to go back to basics for the good of the line.

It's the typical answer from Mattel.

They aren't going to say it sold well, because if they did, then they can't justify raising prices next time.

The next vehicle that goes on sale will be "$50 - $55 due to the less-than-projected sales of the Wind Raider" (which apparently is a "he" now - my gosh Scott's attention to detail is just hilarious sometimes).

Mattel does this all the time. Let's cry poorhouse and charge these nerds even more money.

Here's an idea: make the Ice Raider from the Filmation series and sell him with Icer for $50. Sure it's a cheaper price, but you'll be getting even more for the tooling. And Icer is a new head with a weapon at most.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I think that Mattel REALLY needs to dump Digital River. Matty's association with DR is costing them sales. Then they should make a crackdown on the quality control over at their factory. Maybe send an intermediary who can understand multiple languages and is willing to live abroad so that things run far more smoothly? How many fans aren't collecting MOTUC anymore or at least aren't dealing with the Mattycollector.com website because of one or both of these issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Mattel just cheapens out, yet again !

It's just a matter of REUSE (= COST-CUTTING), as we can all see...

Since several months, now, Mattel and Toyguru have sent many alarming signals. I come to think that they actually DON'T WANT to develop this line for much longer... No media, no customer service (sorry, DR/Matty cannot be considered as such), no playset, delays galore, shipping issues, bad website, QC issues, rise of the MOTUC items' price... do I really need to keep going ?

I think we'll be EXTREMELY lucky if this line makes it until the end of 2013.
    I think it'll defiintely make it to the end of 2013. Beyond that, not sure . . .

This is retarded. The Wind Raider SOLD OUT. There are no more Wind Raiders lingering on Mattycollector for us to buy. How is it not a success?!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Here's an idea: make the Ice Raider from the Filmation series and sell him with Icer for $50. Sure it's a cheaper price, but you'll be getting even more for the tooling. And Icer is a new head with a weapon at most.

Or the Sea Raider from MYP.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That looks a little different, tooling-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    This is retarded. The Wind Raider SOLD OUT. There are no more Wind Raiders lingering on Mattycollector for us to buy. How is it not a success?!
    Whatever you do, don't discuss this logically when logistics are involved.
    Last edited by RockinHard; January 17, 2012 at 06:08pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Yeah the more I think on this the more confused I am about the "okay" part.
    A sellout is a sellout isn't it? What's not to like from a business standpoint?
    They already told us there wouldn't be a vehicle in 2012. That wasn't our expectation.

End rant.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    That ****** me off to no end. "Okay"? It sold out, didn't it? Just because it didn't sell out in hours? My god. If it sold out in days, why couldn't we do a freakin' Roton or Land Shark or Battle Ram? These are hotly desired vehicles. Don't give us a large beast in its place. Give us a highly-sought-after vehicle in 2013 and it will sell out.
    More confusing:

A toy reviewer noticed his Wind Raider (that he bought) was missing laser cannons underneath and contacted DR. They said he had to ship it back for a replacement. Begrudgingly he did so, and was given....a refund. They said there were no Wind Raiders for replacement.

So now he is without a Wind Raider (that he otherwise would have KEPT if he had known they had none to replace) and has an incomplete collection, forced to hit ebay or cough up $75 at BBTS. THAT is nonsense.

How does a toy do "okay" when it's sold out to the point they didn't even appear to allocate any for defectives, unless DR missed this somehow? Did they sell a production run sufficient to merely do "okay"? Very odd indeed.

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    The sold out in mattycollector is not always a real sold out...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    See my previous post :-(

Starchild needs some love Morningstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    More confusing:

A toy reviewer noticed his Wind Raider (that he bought) was missing laser cannons underneath and contacted DR. They said he had to ship it back for a replacement. Begrudgingly he did so, and was given....a refund. They said there were no Wind Raiders for replacement.

So now he is without a Wind Raider (that he otherwise would have KEPT if he had known they had none to replace) and has an incomplete collection, forced to hit ebay or cough up $75 at BBTS. THAT is nonsense.

How does a toy do "okay" when it's sold out to the point they didn't even appear to allocate any for defectives, unless DR missed this somehow? Did they sell a production run sufficient to merely do "okay"? Very odd indeed.
    If this is real, and i believe you, Mattel have no right to say that the sales were OK but not like battlecat. Battlecat was a $30 figure!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jun-Yor View Post
    See my previous post :-(
    Just saw it
    Last edited by Morningstar; January 17, 2012 at 06:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I bought 1 from Matty day of, then on Friday, when I got paid, I would have bought 4 more--- but they were already sold out; instead I bought one from another org member...and I STILL don't have the one from Matty. I am fairly certain the Wind Raider sold better than "Well". If they still have a bunch, put them on sale in March with KK and sell the rest you've got!
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

This is stupid. It sold out! EVERYTHING MOTUC they make WILL sell out.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstar View Post
    And whose fault is that? If Mattel wants the thing to sell out, they need to stop pulling it after two weeks. They need to grow up and stop being spoiled brats everytime something is not an instant sellout. The Windraider's time was perfect, as it gave everyone a fair chance to buy one. Even I decided to buy one a week and a half after its sale time (although, at the time, I had expected to have it by New Years, not still waiting for it to ship as I type) and I had no intention of buying one initially. They got me to buy one just by having it on there for a while.

Anyway, is there a topic on here that has all of the links to the monthl Q&A? The Comedian did it on Matty's forums, but since I am banned from there, I am unable to access the post with them.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.