Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Star Sisters are Sold Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm aware of that. I've seen this point mentioned countless times, ever since Toyguru mentioned that the Star Sisters were considered a success for Mattel, although comparing the two SKUs in this way has never really made much sense, imo. Wind Raider is an item that has had infinitely more exposure than the Star Sisters, having been a staple in the Filmation MOTU, for example, so the benefit the Star Sisters received by getting some "protection" from the sub was counterbalanced by Wind Raider benefits. In short, the Wind Raider had some benefits too, like having more fanfare surrounding it as well as special Ruby Obrero art that was meant to be an incentive.

When BBTS were first putting up the pre-orders for the 2012 figures, I recall asking someone on here why the Star Sisters weren't on the site right away like the first few figures. I think they went up much later, so it seems like a missed opportunity. But anyhow, the Star Sisters are not the only figures to have been clearanced/discounted. I'm sure BBTS are still coming out ahead, though.

But don't you take away from the "Wind Raider benefits" for size and that some fans only want to collect figures and not vehicles?

From purchasing Star Wars, GI JOE, Transformers, Marvel Universe I have purchased a TON of figures I don't know who they are to begin with.
    Telestar is a great lady for Mekaneck to hang out with.

On top of having no nostalgia for the characters as I never had the toys or even heard of them before, I also found their designs quite garish. Sold separately even though in the long run it would have maybe cost more, would actually have lessened the sting of having to pay so much all in one go for a pack of three figures I don't want. Would have maybe been easier to sell them without losing money too.
    I have nothing against POP, I really like She-ra, Catra, Bow, Adora, Shadow Weaver, Frosta and look forward to Kowl and Scorpia etc. Those three though just hold no appeal to me.
    Though please bare in mind that just because I think they are rubbish, doesn't mean others can't like them and doesn't mean I think others shouldn't like them. I'm glad the people who did want them have them. Just wish they had not been in the sub. I feel the same about the Fighting Foe Men. For me the three packs have been miss-steps in gaining sub numbers.

I still have some star sisters I can't get rid of them. I tried to see them today for $40, I even tossed in a Fisto and a Strobo for free, and the buyer said no way.

Anyway for those that are brave here's the fix for Tall Star's hips:

http://he-man.us/Innovations/MOTUC-C...rHips2012.html

(the fixed ones I sold on Ebay helped off-set some of the cost of these for me.)

And with all the sets I got stuck with I made this too:

I also gave a ton of single figures to family on Christmas and Birthdays, like my Grand-daughter got some.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I still have some star sisters I can't get rid of them. I tried to see them today for $40, I even tossed in a Fisto and a Strobo for free, and the buyer said no way.

(the fixed ones I sold on Ebay helped off-set some of the cost of these for me.)

And with all the sets I got stuck with I made this too:

I also gave a ton of single figures to family on Christmas and Birthdays, like my Grand-daughter got some.

You offered someone a Fisto?!?! Why?! He sells for a ton on eBay alone.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Please tell me you didn't think he was serious?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Please tell me you didn't think he was serious?
    Yes, I was trying to be funny. But for real I did give a lot of the star sisters away.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    I'll bet my collection more people want Scorpia than Clamp Champ...
    Maybe here on the boards with its vocal minority, but I don't see how it's even remotely possible that Scorpia would sell more units.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The super brightly primary colored Sy-Klone is just as gaudy as the Star Sisters are, but he's okay to most fans.
    I see what you're trying to do...

But as I said before: "For many out there, PoP in general (and Star Sisters in particular) veers way too much into fairy tale princess or Rainbow Brite territory to make sense being folded into an epic warrior fantasy situation."

Sy-Klone is in no way Rainbow Brite or fairytale . . .

He's wacky, kinda Kirby-esque sci-fi superhero.

For a certain percentage of the fanbase, there's just not much room in MotU to go deeper than a small handful of PoP characters.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    As for specifically why they aren't that popular, I think beyond the colors (which I enjoy in the mix of everything else, but not everyone would) I think going straight up Filmation was probably a mistake. I know the 4H were led astray a bit here, but they ultimately made the decision to go with it. I'm a huge fan of theirs, but they aren't perfect and I do think this was a mistake. More detail, even along the lines of the protos, would have helped. Also, the fact that they all have the same weapon makes them a bit more bland.
    If I were the 4H I wouldn't know what to think. According to fans, half the time Filmation figures are perfectly cool when they're bland and non-updated, and the other half of the time that bland faithfulness is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    I think it has to do with many factors. Color is one issue people have. Pink has a tendency to show up in some POP toys and many don't like that color. It's also design choices like Clawdeen having a bow in her hair or figures coming with brushes that were originally intended to brush the toys hair like a doll. Then you have names like Sweet Bee or Perfuma that have a "girly" sound to them.
    Like a doll, you mean exactly like a doll. And of course it's all "girly" because they were created solely for little girls.

So it's never a surprise to me when grown men aren't chomping at the bit for updated versions of girl toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    So it's never a surprise to me when grown men aren't chomping at the bit for updated versions of girl toys.
    This, exactly this! I have zero nostalgia for POP because I had none of them as a kid. I know it wasn't that way for all boys growing up, but I wanted nothing to do with rooted hair and skirts as a kid.

[QUOTE=He-bro;3233109]I still have some star sisters I can't get rid of them. I tried to see them today for $40, I even tossed in a Fisto and a Strobo for free, and the buyer said no way.

Man, I wish I had enough talent to fix my Tallstar yours looks so much better with the hips fixed. I like the Sisters I just think that Mattel chose the wrong incarnation of the characters. The vintage figure prototype look would have been a hundred times better, that and the prototypes were so mu.ch prettier than what we got. Jewelstar's face is horrific compared to proto. I also think she would have looked cooler if she was translucent.

20 Star Sisters sets left at BBTS. And they did another price cut.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    20 Star Sisters sets left at BBTS. And they did another price cut.
    And somebody mentioned in the Marketplace forum that the Star Sisters are available at at least one of the Mattel Outlet stores, oh yay!

Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    And somebody mentioned in the Marketplace forum that the Star Sisters are available at at least one of the Mattel Outlet stores, oh yay!
    As well as several other figures. Maybe they're from the 2% stock they hold back for returns.

Heroic Warrior
    As well as several other figures. Maybe they're from the 2% stock they hold back for returns.
    Well they sold out from their allotment for day of sale so seemingly it is the leftover customer service stock? Depending on the numbers they had left it was either the low amount left so they didn't feel they had enough to sell on site, or with the fact online retailers can't sell through them at a clearance price they figured there was no sense in putting them on site for $81.00.

Down to 15 sets. Werk!

Down to 15 sets. Werk!

*Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

7 sets left on BBTS. Is this really happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    This, exactly this! I have zero nostalgia for POP because I had none of them as a kid. I know it wasn't that way for all boys growing up, but I wanted nothing to do with rooted hair and skirts as a kid.
    I never had an interest in dolls with skirts and rooted hair as a kid, so never had any She-Ra toys, nor did I want any. However I watched the cartoon series, which is why I'm interested in She-Ra characters. It's ridiculous to think only vintage toy fans only, collect MOTUC. There are a ton of Filmation cartoon fans who collect this line.
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    I think it has to do with many factors. Color is one issue people have. Pink has a tendency to show up in some POP toys and many don't like that color. It's also design choices like Clawdeen having a bow in her hair or figures coming with brushes that were originally intended to brush the toys hair like a doll. Then you have names like Sweet Bee or Perfuma that have a "girly" sound to them. Sy-Klone just sounds cooler. Mermaids are often seen as "girly" as well so even cool characters like Mermista have it rough. I think the combination of these things are what turn off some die hard Masters fans. I can't speak for people but I think these are some the things that often cause friction between factions.
    Even though I personally am 100% happy with the Star Sisters - I have to agree that if Mattel had made better color choices more people would have bonded to the figures and the 3-pack would have had less controversy and overall been more popular than it ultimately was. I personally would like to see a repaint of the set - perhaps released individually on their own cards.

4 sets left on BBTS.

Heroic Warrior
    4 sets left on BBTS.
    Finally broke down and ordered mine. I don't need them in my collection, but I'd regret it if I didn't pick them up.

Surprised they still have them at that price, really great set IMO. BBTS is also showing Adora back in stock.

Great to see the Star Sisters are finally moving for BBTS. I keep meaning to get an extra set to do 80's prototype customs. I know these characters really put the cat in the midst of the birds, and I wish Mattel had given them classic colors and the missing prototype accessories, but POP fans still deserved to get theStar Sisters into their hands, just as much as POG fans deserve He-Ro, & Eldor so I'm glad they got some kind of representation in the line.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post

An yet grown men are totally fine with having half naked, muscled up men sitting on their self. I love half naked, muscled up men, you know why, because I'm gay. So this tired old "men don't want girly figures in their collection" is tired and over used. If you're willing to have homoerotic figures, I'm surprised you don't want attractive woman in skin tight costumes with swords on your self. You might need to do some soul searching into the deeper meanings behind that.
    *Stands up and applauds!!!*
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Since this thread is about Star Sisters and selling (or not being able to sell them) I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous that we're still seeing "I can't get rid of the Star Sisters" posts. Really? Donate them to Toys For Tots and use it as a $60 + Shipping Tax write-off! Feeling the same hatred for the Fighting Foe Men 3-pack? Donate that $75 + Shipping pack to Toys For Tots and get that tax write-off!!! You do something for yourself - in getting some money back, amd you do something for kids who are less fortunate.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"