Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Star Sisters are Sold Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    Since this thread is about Star Sisters and selling (or not being able to sell them) I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous that we're still seeing "I can't get rid of the Star Sisters" posts. Really? Donate them to Toys For Tots and use it as a $60 + Shipping Tax write-off! Feeling the same hatred for the Fighting Foe Men 3-pack? Donate that $75 + Shipping pack to Toys For Tots and get that tax write-off!!! You do something for yourself - in getting some money back, amd you do something for kids who are less fortunate.
    Great idea, well said!
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Since this thread is about Star Sisters and selling (or not being able to sell them) I just want to say that I think it's ridiculous that we're still seeing "I can't get rid of the Star Sisters" posts. Really? Donate them to Toys For Tots and use it as a $60 + Shipping Tax write-off! Feeling the same hatred for the Fighting Foe Men 3-pack? Donate that $75 + Shipping pack to Toys For Tots and get that tax write-off!!! You do something for yourself - in getting some money back, amd you do something for kids who are less fortunate.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I'm willing to bet that she would out sell Clamp Champ.
    Well, at this point Clamp Champ has a confirmed release, while Scorpia does not. And as each day passes, more and more people quit collecting the line, so the production numbers will also continue to drop. So it doesn't look like we'll ever get an unbiased result anyway.

Sy-Klone is just as flashy as any of the GR characters. What makes POP so "fairy tale princess or Rainbrow Brite" the colors, the magic? As I stated Sy-Klone is just as colorful.
    Yeah, I see all the pink sparkly glittery tassels all over Sy-Klone.

That you even wonder why someone would consider PoP too far into "fairy tale princess" genre says it all.

The brand would have been just as strong without the mini comics.
    This is an impossible claim to make, because the characters and storylines in the original mini-comics were part and parcel of the true genesis of MotU, without which Filmation could never have existed.

The POP world developed by Filmation is no less "epic warrior fantasy" than the MOTU cartoon.
    Who said anything about Filmation MotU being "epic warrior fantasy"? Definitely not me!

An yet grown men are totally fine with having half naked, muscled up men sitting on their self. I love half naked, muscled up men, you know why, because I'm gay. So this tired old "men don't want girly figures in their collection" is tired and over used. If you're willing to have homoerotic figures, I'm surprised you don't want attractive woman in skin tight costumes with swords on your self. You might need to do some soul searching into the deeper meanings behind that.
    If YOU see MotU figures as homoerotic, you're welcome to it, but I do not. Besides the fact that very few MotU characters are actually half-naked, I don't live in a world where everything needs to be sexualized. I don't like Evil-Lyn because I think she's hot, I like her because she's a cool, interesting character with an iconic design. But for argument's sake, if PoP actually had a decent number of attractive women in skin-tight costumes with swords that were actually convincing as warriors in the epic stakes of MotU, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. No one questions Teela's inclusion for a reason.

Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak
    I like the grittier aspects of MOTU but I also used to enjoy watching Sailor Moon. I would never try and pretend that sailor Moon was not girly. I believe it is ok for men to like some "girly" things and girls to like "boyish" things. Just admit it though and stop trying to make it something that it is not.
    Admit what? That your perspective is the one true persepective? That just makes things easier for you... where's the fun in that?

This isn't 1984 or 1985. She-Ra characters are no longer sold with rooted hair or fantastic fashions. Your statements refer to the past for support... but the past is not the present... so other than just being stubborn, there is no reason not to ignore the past of POP and think of them as new MOTU characters.

You believe it is "ok for men to like some 'girl' things and girls to like 'boyish' things? I'm sad that you have to keep things so ultra-traditionally categorized.

Jeez, this country really did a number on our generation with the gender roles thing. It's really kind of sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Well, at this point Clamp Champ has a confirmed release, while Scorpia does not. And as each day passes, more and more people quit collecting the line, so the production numbers will also continue to drop. So it doesn't look like we'll ever get an unbiased result anyway.
    Keep telling yourself that. You seem to be one of those people who offers up evidence to support your claims, but the evidence is either faulty or incomplete.

Yeah, I see all the pink sparkly glittery tassels all over Sy-Klone.
    I don't see any "pink sparkly glittery tassels" all over any of the POP characters in the MOTUC line... and, in fact, there were none of those in the vintage line either... There was glitter. There were "ribbons" (tassels) on one figure. There certainly was "pink
    as well, but then again, pink is actually not the predominant color in the POP characters. It was in the vintage POP packaging... but, other than Jewelstar (who SHOULD have been RED), and Tallstar's hair, I don't see much pink. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I don't live in a world where everything needs to be sexualized.
    How boring

I don't like Evil-Lyn because I think she's hot, I like her because she's a cool, interesting character with an iconic design. But for argument's sake, if PoP actually had a decent number of attractive women in skin-tight costumes with swords that were actually convincing as warriors in the epic stakes of MotU, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. No one questions Teela's inclusion for a reason.
    You took the time to get to know the characters of Evil-Lyn and Teela because they were introduced in a way you found appealing.

Now that 30 years have gone by, is it really that hard for you to think of some of these other females that way? No one is suggesting that you have to like anything...

But if you like Evil-Lyn, why wouldn't you like Shadow Weaver or Catra? I just don't get it, unless it is solely because they were on a cartoon 30 years ago. It's a new day... they are in a new line.

If you like Teela, then why not She-Ra, or Adora, or Double Trouble, or Sweet Bee, or Entrapta? They are different but not exceptionally different. They are all powerful, all smart, all sexy, and all interesting.

For example:

Character A: a scout, for an alien race in danger of losing its homeworld, lands on a planet occupied by the Horde... the scout, who has the powers of insect-like strength & flight, as well as the power to create traps made from organic material, joins the rebels who are fighting against the Horde, in order that she might bring her people to this otherwise hospitable world and save them from certain death. Oh, and He-Man has the hots for her.

That's Sweet Bee. Sure, she has a silly name... but it's MOTU, that's why it's cool. But she IS a great character.

Had Teela been put into the vintage POP line years ago, she'd have been the girly girl who can do acrobatics and fly on a trapeze or something.

MOTUC allows us to re-imagine these characters in a more adult, realistic way. That's what I love about it. It allows people to see that characters like Netossa (an expert huntress, tracker, and trapper) or Double Trouble (a shape-shifting spy) or even Flutterina (a freedom fighter who can shrink to insect-size while retaining the strength of her orginal form) are just as appropriate for the line as Teela.

We REALLY need to get over the past. WHO CARES about the vintage lines and who liked what, or whether Filmation or mini-comics made MOTU/POP a multi-billion dollar success (they BOTH did)!

This is the here and now.

If you don't like females in your toy line, that's fine. But can you just stop trying to tell everyone they are wrong for liking what you do not? It's not rational.

And, frankly, you've been pretty safe up to this point. There are still very few females in the line.
    Last edited by bcrduke; April 10, 2013 at 03:16pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Hi all - please get back on topic about the Star Sisters and not the general MOTU vs POP stuff, please. There are other threads that have delved into that over the years, and please be careful not to end up in Tar Swamp territory. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Hi all - please get back on topic about the Star Sisters and not the general MOTU vs POP stuff, please. There are other threads that have delved into that over the years, and please be careful not to end up in Tar Swamp territory. Thanks so much!
    What's funny, is it's typically the Star Sisters that incite the entire debate. LOL But to get back on track, who's up for the Snake Star Sisters? LOL
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Good idea ^

I actually like the Star Sisters lol. I did not at first but they grew on me after i got the toys. I am surprised that they did not sell out earlier and I think that the discission has gone far off that topic. I apologize for being a part of the off topic discussion.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak View Post
    Good idea ^

I actually like the Star Sisters lol. I did not at first but they grew on me after i got the toys. I am surprised that they did not sell out earlier and I think that the discission has gone far off that topic. I apologize for being a part of the off topic discussion.
    It gave me something to do at work, I have no such regrets I had no idea who they were before they were announced. I'd never heard word one about them. The idea that I had in my head when I first saw them is what grabbed me, at first impression I thought they were 3 witches, like the Witches of Eastwick or something, and since they have very little origin bio, I've sorta stuck with that. I imagined them to be oracle like, like Light Hope or Sorceress, someone that She-Ra went to for help now and again, but by no means front line warriors.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Beyond the designs which we know are polarizing, I think it was QC and body construction that effected the out come of the Star Sisters. Had they not had issues with dumpy crotch and lost articulation in the legs I think more of use would be fans of them. Because of the lack of articulation and the fact that Tallstar doesn't like to stand I find that I don't pull them off my shelf and "play" with their poses like I do with other figures.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

I think what kills me most about my Star Sisters is that I could have lived without them but the quality of the figures are pretty good. But my She-Ra and Queen Marlena have loose ankles and Frosta just looks terrible and those were 3 female figures I was looking forward to. They’re just there in my collection taunting me, “Neener neener neener. We’re in better condition than other figures you wanted a whole lot more.”
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    It gave me something to do at work, I have no such regrets I had no idea who they were before they were announced. I'd never heard word one about them. The idea that I had in my head when I first saw them is what grabbed me, at first impression I thought they were 3 witches, like the Witches of Eastwick or something, and since they have very little origin bio, I've sorta stuck with that. I imagined them to be oracle like, like Light Hope or Sorceress, someone that She-Ra went to for help now and again, but by no means front line warriors.
    Haha true! No regrets here either! I like how that for the most part it is neat that toys can spark such passinate ideas. I thought many great points were made all around.

I love the idea of them being oracle types as well. I feel that they are probably very powerful and would be the key to winning some major struggles on Etheria. I like that they are a trio and the Star aspect to them puts them up there with the Cosmic Enforcers and Rock Warriors in my opinion.

I wish they had Better boot articulation but otherwise they are pretty solid figures.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Adam wears colors that were traditionally worn by royals, because those dyes cost more. The idea that it was girly came from negative stereotypes in regards to royals.

and I agree, the Star Sisters are meh as I have said I think in this thread before. Some of what was done just doesn't go over well. I have Tallstar's head on BG teela's body and it looks great.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I think what kills me most about my Star Sisters is that I could have lived without them but the quality of the figures are pretty good. But my She-Ra and Queen Marlena have loose ankles and Frosta just looks terrible and those were 3 female figures I was looking forward to. They’re just there in my collection taunting me, “Neener neener neener. We’re in better condition than other figures you wanted a whole lot more.”
    Frosta is sadly an eyesore, she's such a great character but the gray just kills it. My original She-Ra has a doll stand, she would not stay standing, but I have the same problem with Tallstar. When she falls she loses her head too, so she got stuck with a doll stand too.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    There is clearly a difference between hardcore fans here and the thousands of casual customers outside these boards. Most guys I know are not on any forums or barely and want only the stuff they grew up with. Some would recognize Geldor because of his appearence in the mini comic but that would be an obscure character for them. MOTU is just a small hobby for them and they aren't interested in any new stuff. They also aren't interested in the stuff from the last vintage waves.

Someone I know sells some figures at cons and he tells me that only the vintage characters sell, nobody would ask after a Dekker or the Star Sisters, it's always He-Man, Trap Jaw, Webstor, etc. The casual taste is different from the hardcore attitude here on the boards. I think many customers are turned off by the character selection, not by the price.

Mattel has changed the plan and concentrate more on demanded stuff, because they realized that the Star Sisters or the FFM or Vykron won't rescue this line. And when the last 6-7 most demanded figures will get released, the majority of customers will loose interest and won't buy another sub.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    There is clearly a difference between hardcore fans here and the thousands of casual customers outside these boards. Most guys I know are not on any forums or barely and want only the stuff they grew up with. Some would recognize Geldor because of his appearence in the mini comic but that would be an obscure character for them. MOTU is just a small hobby for them and they aren't interested in any new stuff. They also aren't interested in the stuff from the last vintage waves.

Someone I know sells some figures at cons and he tells me that only the vintage characters sell, nobody would ask after a Dekker or the Star Sisters, it's always He-Man, Trap Jaw, Webstor, etc. The casual taste is different from the hardcore attitude here on the boards. I think many customers are turned off by the character selection, not by the price.

Mattel has changed the plan and concentrate more on demanded stuff, because they realized that the Star Sisters or the FFM or Vykron won't rescue this line. And when the last 6-7 most demanded figures will get released, the majority of customers will loose interest and won't buy another sub.
    I think it's more like TG doesn't want the line to end incomplete during his watch, rather than suddenly realizing that making obscure characters was a bad idea. This is similar to how he ended JLU; when he saw that JLU was at the end of it's rope, he finished that line out with all of the most obscure characters on the show and the most requested characters.
    After all, Mattel isn't making only vintage characters. They are also making the major Filmation, POP and NA characters as well.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think it's more like TG doesn't want the line to end incomplete during his watch, rather than suddenly realizing that making obscure characters was a bad idea. This is similar to how he ended JLU; when he saw that JLU was at the end of it's rope, he finished that line out with all of the most obscure characters on the show and the most requested characters.
    After all, Mattel isn't making only vintage characters. They are also making the major Filmation, POP and NA characters as well.
    I think this year has a good character selection and the Filmation sub was a good choice, when you think, it didn't need any additional PR. But it's because the characters are more demanded than a Vykron or Dekker. I was told from different fellow fans, that they weren't able to sell Dekker, Star Sisters or Chief Carnivous for the price they paid on secondary market. And they won't sell the FFM for 75$ plus shipping plus customs. You loose money on this kind of characters, if you don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I think this year has a good character selection and the Filmation sub was a good choice, when you think, it didn't need any additional PR. But it's because the characters are more demanded than a Vykron or Dekker. I was told from different fellow fans, that they weren't able to sell Dekker, Star Sisters or Chief Carnivous for the price they paid on secondary market. And they won't sell the FFM for 75$ plus shipping plus customs. You loose money on this kind of characters, if you don't want them.
    Well, I just want to point out that I was able to sell an extra FFF set that I will get for more than what I will be paying for it. I can't speak about selling the Star Sisters because I didn't have extra sets last year. But for me at least, it wasn't a problem.

Heroic Warrior
    Received my Star Sisters from BBTS a couple days ago and was finally able to crack them open. First thing I did was arrange Tallstar's parts and pose Cy-Chop over her. I really dig the purple hair, too. I also just got done watching the She-Ra episode that they were in for all of 30 seconds. Now I realize that they're the equivalent of any alien in the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I don't know why I'm getting so into this set of figures. Probably because they're "new" to me, I guess. In my canon, Jewelstar can form diamond like armor around her body, Tallstar obviously has stretching powers, and Starla I'm still torn on. Does she have sun like powers? Which would mean heat and even possibly flight? Ha, that would make the Star Sisters like some bizarro Fantastic Four. Or maybe Starla can control gravity(like a star?)! Or hell, maybe both. I love getting new figures!
    Last edited by DVD; April 11, 2013 at 06:21pm.

Okay everyone - POP in MOTUC debate moved to it's own thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-Pros-and-Cons

Keep this one on-topic, please.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's pretty well what he gave as the reason for the re-focus, and, yes, it is much like the approach to finishing up JLU. With that, we got what was already at least on the drawing board, but most importantly they finished out the actual JLU team roster with the last big multipack.

It wasn't as much saying that everything that came before was a mistake, just that, with limited time and resources left, they wanted to concentrate on finishing the major players in the main factions.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Down to 2 Star Sisters packs left at BBTS!

Heroic Warrior
    It seems that BBTS sold their last 2 sets...

The Star Sisters are now .... SOLD OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by JKM View Post
    It seems that BBTS sold their last 2 sets...

The Star Sisters are now .... SOLD OUT!

*Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither