Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 070 Discussion!

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Glad that Rob Base was back.

As a fellow original mini-comic fan first, his "settling for Filmation" comment summed up my feelings exactly.

Songster's Understudy SUPERFANben's Avatar
    Rob it's great to hear you defend The Mighty Spector. lol. Hope all is well with Crystal and baby Base.
    You getting a Songster figure will be my fault.

Great episode, and nice to hear from Rob Base again.

On the whole boys buying the girl action figures discussion:
    I got enough grief from my father about playing with dolls(action figures)! Also whenever we went to a toystore and i begged for a toy I'd usually get to pick 1 figure only. So having Teela or Evil-lyn wasn't appealing to me as adding Beastman, merman, stratos etc.
    That's not to say I wouldn't have played with them if I owned them, and whenever I saw them in shops I would check them out.

I remember seeing the Golden girls in a store front and standing there checking them out for quite a while. I lived in a small town in New Zealand and didn't have the privelage of seeing the awesome US store displays for toylines, so anything new always got my attention, even if it was for girl properties.

I don't see how these are any better than POP toys.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Are we going to get episode 71 and beyond soon, Val?
    Hope so! I want to get back on track.
    I have a bunch of stuff to do before Toy Fair, but I'm trying to schedule everything out.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    Cracker Val is in da house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You know it!

I forgot to mention how much I love the Snake Man-At-Arms pic on itunes for this episode. The look on his face is priceless!

That's Matt Tyree. Georg Schwitters rocked out the art for a while. Matt's doing them for a while.
    Here's the wallpaper that you get with the iOS app (and soon, Android app.. I think.. not sure if there's differences in terms of background images)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool. Even funnier seeing the whole thing.
    I had no idea about the wallpapers, as I'm only kickin' it old school with an iPod Classic...... no smart phone or tablet for this old fart.

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERFANben View Post
    Rob it's great to hear you defend The Mighty Spector. lol. Hope all is well with Crystal and baby Base.

I can't hate on a figure that I would have wanted in the series if I was Toy Guru and We are doing fine thanks for asking
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Before I listen....Is this an anti sisters vibe thing? or all good?

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Rob needs to be a regular!! I truly enjoyed his perspective.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

http://www.neatorama.com/wp-content/...engirls_sf.jpg
    About the same, I'd say.

Although the Golden Girls DO get props for being "Sex and the City...the retirement years" AND because Betty White is funny as Hell.

I'm giving it to the Golden Girls on points.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

So should we expect an episode every week again? That would awesome.
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Stratos, Webstor, Horde Prime, Spikor, Snake Mountain stands, and Gygor

"African-Eternian"! I laughed for a good 2 minutes in the middle of the street while jogging.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post

http://www.neatorama.com/wp-content/...engirls_sf.jpg
    OMG!! those are awesome!!

Snake Man at Arms is totes a throw away figure for me. Unless they're gonna surprise every one with the arm cannon. Even saying its painted 200x style is lame. cause all that is panted differently is that tank and tube on the front.
    Horde Prime looks cool. but i'm not loosing my ish over it.

As for your PC conversation. lol. In my experience most people, especially in the younger generation, are ok with black. There are a select few who prefer African American.

Great Podcast guys!
    But we mustn't dwell. No, not today. We Can't! Not on Rex Manning Day!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Another great episode! Thanks to all of you for taking the time to be the voice of the fans!

Highlights:

Rob Base - I did not expect him to LIKE Spector.... I guess he's just destined to be contrary
    "Taken for the Ass" - It will NEVER get old.
    The number of fans thing - I checkout the site almost everyday but go in spurts where I post often and also where I almost ever post. Scott put his foot in his mouth with that comment.
    Snake MAA - No bueno.
    Horde Prime - I'm in the minority, clearly, but I LOVE him.
    The Star Sisters discussion was really good, I mean REALLY good. There was a lot of truth in what each of the panel said. I simply adored the POP cartoon, and bought a Bow figure back in the day but, as a 13 year old, absolutely could not pull the trigger on a She-Ra or Catra... My take on them now: I am a fan but not hardcore. I'm glad that the Star Sisters were put in the line and that we are able to get them but honestly I could take them or leave them.
    Eternian Race relations...... I loved it.

Cracka Val!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was nice to have an episode to listen to on a Sunday morning while I shake the hangover.

I must say the UK head made the Horde Prime figure for me, I wouldn't have been fussed about the figure with out it. It was such a great surprise, wasn't expecting it in a million years. Like Eamon said I hope they slip a few more things in from the UK/Euro comics now and again.
    I think you guys pretty much hit the nail on the head with Snake MMA though. What a waste of a variant, and I don;t get why they are now giving him Trap Jaw and Roboto parts all it needed was a second helmetless, pony tail head and the arm canon and most people would have accepted it.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

The thing about Eldor, is that he's had an advantage over the Star Sisters, being that he was officially referenced early on in the He-Ro bio, which triggered discussions about his inclusion in the line, a speculation thread etc. and solidified a definite place for him in the minds of a lot of members. Also, if we take all the comments to present-day, that's about 6 months extra worth of comments, voting etc. in his favor. Then there's the card/cardback discovery from Hollywood Heroes, the prototype screen shot from the documentary etc. which would have put Eldor in the minds of collectors to maybe vote or comment.

In both cases, I think probably the fairest thing to do would be to maybe look at the requests before He-Ro emerged.
    Last edited by Tallstar; January 23, 2012 at 08:44am.

Thanks! Enjoyed listening to the discussion as always.

I have a comment on the first topic; speaking as one of the majority of the less-vocal in the community. Mattel's PR, CS and QC, in addition to Digital River's services, have had a huge impact on my by purchasing behavior. Of the Classics figures I own which I could have obtained directly from Mattel at the time, I have always chosen to purchase them elsewhere. I'm willing to pay the slightly extra cost to know exactly what I'm getting and to avoid the potential hassles that others have encountered. For me, a subscription is not something I would ever consider at this point, largely due to those issues.

On SMAA and Horde Prime: I'm in agreement with the general consensus there.

Regarding the final topic, IMO as long as we continue to address others with a qualifier meant to explicitly denote skin color or ancestral origin our society will continue to be plagued by racial bias and other forms of human prejudice for a long time to come. We're all just human beings sharing this tiny planet.

I don't think denoting and remarking on physical differences is ever going to go away. I don't see how it could. Except for those who are visually impaired, we identify with everything visually. Those physical differences are what make us unique and interesting. If society as a whole could do away with the prejudice, then there should be no harm in observation.
    Of course, "white" and "black" don't work. I mean, who really IS white or black? If it were me, I'd identify every skin color by some sort of confection. And people with very dark skin are the luckiest because they can call themselves chocolate. And most folks love chocolate!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Sorry, I don't think my comment was clear; I did not mean for it to be so broad. I was merely referring to how common it is for many to instinctively apply such a qualifier to others of a different race or background in contexts where that distinction may be irrelevant. e.g. "black-man", "white-man" instead of just "man"; "asian-american" instead of just "american". I certainly wasn't referring to simply remarking on and/or acknowleging differences. Our differences should be embraced. As you say, that's a central part of what makes us human.
    Last edited by tim; January 23, 2012 at 04:09pm.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I remember going into the store and finding new figures of MOTU, then wondering where the POP ones were. I'd walk over to the next aisle and wonder why they were with every other pink toy and then it hit me... the character ratios were polar opposites from MOTU. I even had someone walking through the aisle once stare at me wondering why I'd be walking down the aisle myself. I was six, could have been looking for my sister, my mother, my anyone... and one time someone gave me an odd look when I picked up a figure. I held it up and said, "They've packaged them and put them in the wrong aisle." Another day, I said, "It's the other half of the collection." One day, I said, "He-Man needs a girlfriend and Teela doesn't cut it."
    I love an all inclusive canon!

The secret Horde Prime head looks like the 200x Hordak head.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    Rob needs to be a regular!! I truly enjoyed his perspective.
    I second this.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Namaste, Eamon.
    I love an all inclusive canon!