Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 070 Discussion!

YES! We NEED Rob Base!

My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Another great episode! Thanks to all of you for taking the time to be the voice of the fans!

Highlights:

Rob Base - I did not expect him to LIKE Spector.... I guess he's just destined to be contrary
    "Taken for the Ass" - It will NEVER get old.
    The number of fans thing - I checkout the site almost everyday but go in spurts where I post often and also where I almost ever post. Scott put his foot in his mouth with that comment.
    Snake MAA - No bueno.
    Horde Prime - I'm in the minority, clearly, but I LOVE him.
    The Star Sisters discussion was really good, I mean REALLY good. There was a lot of truth in what each of the panel said. I simply adored the POP cartoon, and bought a Bow figure back in the day but, as a 13 year old, absolutely could not pull the trigger on a She-Ra or Catra... My take on them now: I am a fan but not hardcore. I'm glad that the Star Sisters were put in the line and that we are able to get them but honestly I could take them or leave them.
    Eternian Race relations...... I loved it.

Cracka Val!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL I think the figure looks fine if we can have room for Rio Blast (cowboy) and Ninjor (ninja) we have room for a superhero time traveler

Quote Originally Posted by rockinhard View Post
    yes! We need rob base!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2aipm6e.jpg

awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by AlternativeMindz; January 24, 2012 at 12:55am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Songster's Understudy SUPERFANben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    I can't hate on a figure that I would have wanted in the series if I was Toy Guru and We are doing fine thanks for asking
    You also have the best reason for being a Kansas City Chiefs fan ever! lol
    You getting a Songster figure will be my fault.

Roast Gooble Dinner definitely needs more "non-hardcore" MOTU fan Rob Base.

did anyone mention we need some more rob base on RGD? ... ...

rob base - you the man! ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Rob is awesome!
    Val, I am a bit confused about the point you wanted to make about hard core fans and assuming Rob and Dan weren't. Specifically linking that to knowledge of storyplots or history.
    To me hardcore is unlimited love for motu no matter what you know about the stories or whatever.
    To me buying all these figures and merchandise because of your memories of the line should be enough. Being a walking wiki doesnt make you hardcore, just someone with good memory.

Putting Dan in the easy to walk away group when you know him and what he does (he bleeds motu; he has the figures for comparison time) left me a bit confused with your definition and what point you wanted to make?

Can you explain, cracker Val?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Rob is awesome!
    Val, I am a bit confused about the point you wanted to make about hard core fans and assuming Rob and Dan weren't. Specifically linking that to knowledge of storyplots or history.
    To me hardcore is unlimited love for motu no matter what you know about the stories or whatever.
    To me buying all these figures and merchandise because of your memories of the line should be enough. Being a walking wiki doesnt make you hardcore, just someone with good memory.

Putting Dan in the easy to walk away group when you know him and what he does (he bleeds motu; he has the figures for comparison time) left me a bit confused with your definition and what point you wanted to make?

For the most part, I agree with what you are saying here. I grew up with MOTU. While I collected many toy lines over the course of my childhood, MOTU was one of the first and is the most fondly remembered. I know a decent amount about the property and I've learned/picked up more over the years. I am thus far a completest with the MOTUC line, and as long as my finances continue to allow that to be the case, I am in it for the long haul.

That being said, I am not a walking, talking encyclopedia about every single little aspect f MOTU. I don't know each and every canon, story variation, or all of the most obscure of obscure aspects inside and out. The minicomics were never really my thing.... I had them and flipped through them, but being on the younger end of the average MOTU fan-spectrum, most of them ended up getting torn up when tossed in the toybox with the figures. There are a lot of things that I am knowledgable in, of course, but there are other aspects that are more or less foreign to me, short of seeing them briefly mentioned here and there on the boards (and there might be other aspects that I just havent heard of yet). Media-wise, I grew up mainly on the Filmation cartoons, but many of those episodes I haven't seen since I was a kid. I have the DVD sets (almost all of the releases so far.... each episode is counted for at least twice between the BCI and newer Mill Creek releases), and I've watched a handful of episodes from them, but I haven't sat down and watched each and every episode from them in recent years. So, while I am familiar with certain episodes and certain Filmation-specific characters and plotlines, there are many that aren't very fresh in my mind, if I remember them at all. I'd like to watch them all at some point, but I've actually got A LOT of TV show DVD sets in general to catch up with in watching. I don't feel that necessarily makes me less of a MOTU fan... at least not in terms of me being someone who would be quick to quit the line at the drop of a hat.

Now, at the same time, I do kind of disagree with one part of the above quoted post in that I can see where being well versed in all of the plots and the obscurities of MOTU is a characteristic that a huge fan is mostly likely going to have as opposed to someone who isn't as into it. So, in a sense, yes, that is one aspect of measuring one's fandom (and goes above and beyond simply having a good memory). But that being said, I don't think that is the end all / be all of what defines fandom. Not everyone is going to have the level of knowledge of Val and Emiliano. I don't feel that it makes me less of a fan, or one who just isn't "that into MOTU", and who would quit the line at any given moment.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior

Even though you are stating your opinion I disagree with you. To me there are several parts to being a hardcore fan. One of them is being a walking, breathing encyclopdia.

I was going to use them to make a point, but it didn't go that way, so I never went any further with it.

Cracker is a derogatory term for Caucasians.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Even though you are stating your opinion I disagree with you. To me there are several parts to being a hardcore fan. One of them is being a walking, breathing encyclopdia.
    That is exactly what I meant; being a wiki is not the only way to be a hardcore fan

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I was going to use them to make a point, but it didn't go that way, so I never went any further with.
    That is what I thought
    I was in a web meeting while listening to gooble, so I wasnt sure I missed where you actually went with it.
    It ended up with being a cracker, lol!

Sadly now, I'm not even sure what point I was trying to make.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Court Magician
    Great show.

I really can't remember too much about Horde Prime, and I never owned any Horde figures when I was little, so I never really formed an image of him in my head. That being said, the image that the Four Horsemen has made for me doesn't look too shabby and doesn't at all disappoint. I do kind of member the second head thing that Val was talking about, but If I remember correctly (Google image isn't really doing it's job for this one) the foreground was always filled with smoke and somehow I assumed the second head was a ventriloquist's dummy, or, like, remember Krang from the Ninja Turtle cartoons? I goes he technically had a second head. As far as everyone rolling their eyes and turning their noses at Prime's position in the Horde hierarchy, it is that exact same type of thinking that assured the loss of my Emperor Palpatine to an early grave in the family sandbox, and fated Serpentor to a life of incarceration in the holding cell of Terrordrome playset, which is kind of sad because I really did like that figure...

I have a subscription and am in no way, shape, or form excited about the Snake Man at Arms. As a more "casual" fan, I have absolutely no idea what this is all about. Not even remotely. I know you said that it won't come with a normal head, but I'm praying to God that he does...I don't want to have anything to do with that snake face, but I guess that's the evil of blindly buying into a monthly subscription program.

I don't want to offend anyone who really really likes the Star Sisters. They really are beautiful figures, and the paint job on mine turned out perfectly, but they kind of look comic-booky. To be fair, they do look like visitors from outer space, but more, like, in that Silver Surfer/Avengers kind of way. Given the rarity of female POP characters and the fact that this took up 3 slots, I'm worried that it'll push the more integral characters such as Glimmer, Angela, Frosta, et al, too far into the future. I'm going to risk sounding trite and tell you that the high pelvis and the too-low legs is so disappointing, and that the base of her neck doesn't like to rest evenly on her body (I threw up my hands and super-glued the the thing, so, goodbye extended neck). I don't really think that '80s toy prototype colors would have mad that big of a difference, but those colors are garish!
    Last edited by IamBrentN; January 25, 2012 at 03:47am. Reason: verb/adverb agreement
    --Brent

Quote Originally Posted by IamBrentN View Post
    Given the rarity of female POP characters and the fact that this took up 3 slots, I'm worried that it'll push the more integral characters such as Glimmer, Angela, Frosta, et al, too far into the future. I'm going to risk sounding trite and tell you that the high pelvis and the too-low legs is so disappointing, and that the base of her neck doesn't like to rest evenly on her body (I threw up my hands and super-glued the the thing, so, goodbye extended neck). I don't really think that '80s toy prototype colors would have mad that big of a difference, but those colors are garish!
    Hey there, IamBrentN. If it makes you feel any better, there have been rumors circulating that Frosta is coming sooner than later. I've noticed a couple folks voicing their concerns about the more integral characters getting pushed out, but I think the Filmation-specific non toy line characters like Sea Hawk are more of a "threat" in that regard.

SMAA and horde prime are both pretty weak... the 4H really dropped the ball on both of them, i hope they aren't loosing their touch (let's not even talk about BGEL).

i don't mind hordak reporting to someone but i do hope the bios have a coup with hordak betraying horde prime and seizing control.

different levels of fandom

I am just as hardcore as the next fan but to retain ever writer or voice actor isn't in me since i collect and read many different things. Masters is apart of my hardcore collective
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    I'm hardcore...hardcore vintage ;D

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Since you guys were discussing the "hardcore" thing, I thought I'd jump in. I too thought it was very weird that Cracker Val suggested Pixel Dan (and possibly Rob too; that was the first RGD I've listened to in which he appeared) wasn't hardcore. It just seems like an odd characterization for someone who regularly appears on an hour+ "weekly" podcast soley about MOTU, without even going into all his other mad MOTU cred. At least he's got a subscription, Mr. "I can't afford it and the website too". Seriously though, we all need to donate a dollar to the "Val Needs a Subscription" Fund. It's absurd that he runs the site for us and doesn't have one.

On a seperate note: I like the perspective you gave, CJVS3, on why She-ra fan numbers have dwindled with females generally losing interest in that sort of thing. It's a pretty obvious observation I guess, but I never really put much thought into it.

Oh, and of course the group's general accessment of the figures was spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-O View Post
    Namaste, Eamon.
    Namaste, Jon-O!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I too thought it was very weird that Cracker Val suggested Pixel Dan wasn't hardcore.
    Like I mentioned before, my turning to Dan was more out of a need to have an on-the-air perspective to use for the example I was going to explain. That never happened.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    This was really neat, 1st podcast I listened to. I enjoyed it enough that I listened to 67-69 while working on some work projects.

There were a lot of good points. I remember as a kid that my younger brother got a She-ra figure, and I remember there being a bit of "weirdness" about it, not just from me, but from my parents. I think it is exactly because she had more "doll" features than action figure features. It was different than when I got Evil-lyn for sure. I don't really remember the particulars, but it seems like I overheard some discussions about him wantinga nd playing with a She-ra and that the general idea was that it would be "ok" for him to, but I think that was the one and only PoP toy he ever got. So there was certainly a stigma about it.

The "hardcore" fan ideas were interesting. I enjoyed He-man as a kid, but it wasn't the only line that I collected by any means and I know that I want through phases. I also held on to very few He-man figures that I had as a child to my adult years. However I watched the cartoon and had the majority of the mini comics and was familiar with both "versions" of He-man. I think that even then I preferred a blending of mini comic and cartoon elements. I didn't really learn much in the way of creator or behind the scenes trivia, and even now I don't necessarily have the largest interest in knowing who directed episode 26 or who voiced the two words that Tallstar said in her brief apperance (which sounded awful by the way. that's one thing I find as I watch episodes with adult eyes, many of the voices seem so off...but that's another conversation).

As for the two figures, I am definatly in the "Bleh" category for Snake MAA. The only possible use he would have for me is to plop someone's extra head on (good idea about the extra MAA head). Horde Prime though is interesting, because I, even as a kid, hated the idea of Horde Prime. And if someone would have told me that Horde Prime was coming I would have really not cared (oh great, someone to try and destroy my MOTUC toy's Christmas!).

That being said...I saw the figure and he looks GREAT. Just very very evil and menacing. Enough that I will, get the figure even. He won't be "Horde Prime" though, either I'll get a spare Hordak head or just pretend that he gaisn new power and changes his apperance. The figure makes a kick ass "Horde Armor Hordak" and is a Hordak varient that is much better than C-3PO Hordak or "Why the heck do I have a saw in my chest" Hordak. I think that Horde Prime is a great example of how a "terrible" (IMO) character can be made to look AWESOME.

Great podcast, I'm looking forward to future ones, and catching up on some past ones. I think you all do a great job (and I love when the cat provides commentary, lol)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Great podcast, I'm looking forward to future ones, and catching up on some past ones. I think you all do a great job (and I love when the cat provides commentary, lol)
    Yes! Kit-Kat always outshines the other contributors in terms of her opinions!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

It's funny cause the fact that you haven't heard me before makes a good point about why would i be on a podcast if i wasn't a fan.

I've read every mini comic every star and all 200x comics. Watched every cartoon, the live action movie. Yet being hardcore is something more ... Hardcore i guess is being obsessed to a degree beyond just subscribing or rocking heman underroos
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Here's one Horde Prime fan, but I really wanted the UK-version of him with green cape.

This one is ..hmm.. something weird.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    It's funny cause the fact that you haven't heard me before makes a good point about why would i be on a podcast if i wasn't a fan.

I've read every mini comic every star and all 200x comics. Watched every cartoon, the live action movie. Yet being hardcore is something more ... Hardcore i guess is being obsessed to a degree beyond just subscribing or rocking heman underroos
    Brother, you and I are the same level of fandom.

And I AM hardcore?

How hardcore? How about 700 lb. deadlifts in THIS t-shirt?

Appetite_For_Eternia_Masters_of_The_Universe_thumb.png

Mini-comics and Star comics FOREVER! Poop on Filmation.

You my boy, Blue!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Brother, you and I are the same level of fandom.

And I AM hardcore?

How hardcore? How about 700 lb. deadlifts in THIS t-shirt?

Mini-comics and Star comics FOREVER! Poop on Filmation.

You my boy, Blue!
    I might not do 700 lb. deadlifts, but I liked NA because I was so thrilled that He-Man and Skeletor was back. Now that's so hardcore, even you cannot match it!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)