Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Mattel stopped making ALL MOTU toys tomorrow?

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar

What if Mattel stopped making ALL MOTU toys tomorrow?

• 1.How would that effect you as a Fan of The brand?
    • 2.Would you continue to post and talk about the toys & stories online that you ALREADY have?
    • 3.What's more important TO YOU, a cool looking toy or a well crafted story?
    • 4.Has MOTU ever inspired you to CREATE something?

Keep in mind, This isn't a thread where I'm asking this in order to JUDGE YOU based on your response. There is NO right or wrong answer, I'm not going to put a label on and dismiss you or your opinions. I'm LOOKING for opposite points of view and for people to disagree with me.

(Feel free to ignore the rest of this post if you don't care. #3 gets a little ranty anyway.)

Speaking for my self:

1. I would be sad. probably become deeply depressed, at least for a time. I lived through 1987, 1991. 2004, (and whenever the stactions stopped, 2007 IIRC?) I'll survive the end of Classics. "this too shall pass" right? The end of MOTUC will not the the END OF THE WORLD!

2. NOTHING short of The Almighty, could ever EVER get me to stop caring, thinking, posting, theorizing, speculating and guessing about MOTU history and Lore. NOTHING. I might not own all of the stuff, but I'm a Lifer! and you can't spell LIFE without L F and E

3 & 4
    I loves me my plastic idols made of crack! I have more toys then I do anything else...But LIFETIME? I have probably owned and read more comics then toys. and even yet still seen more TV shows and Films...I'm also a writer by nature (and rarely, when fate's permit, by trade!) So for me, The Story is more important. Though To be honest, My fan fiction (That I largely never complete and generally keep to my self) is almost always inspired by the toys. I hold them in my hand and I ask "Who is this person, what happened to them that they became THIS, and where can they go, what can they do next" Even some of my ORIGINAL CONTENT was originally conceived to be a spin off or tie in to existing MOTU, Star Wars, DC and other worlds and characters.

One of my favorite MOTU ideas, Evil (wun-Dar) "Savage He-Man": The Eternal Emperor, has become a whole new character in unique setting divorced of it's MOTU roots. He's become a per-historic human who gained immortality, and is the soul survivor of a dying Universe at the end of time. The story is about the endless cycle of death and rebirth, alpha and omega's and spans from the Point of Creation, to the Last Day of the Universe and what that does to a human psyche. (it's also got ancient spirits, wizards, warlords, aliens, robots, spaceships and time travel but is ultimately a LOVE STORY...and all that sprang from my inability to accept the name "wun-Dar" as an IN UNIVERSE name for a MOTU He-man repaint of dubious ties to Wonder Bread. So Critical analysis, Is extremely important TO ME!

My point being is that, The Maxx said it best "The stories in my mind are almost always better" (2:00 mark)
    http://www.mtv.com/videos/the-maxx-e...playlist.jhtml
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heroic Warrior
    1. Disappointed but not devastated. MOTUC has had a good run. I'd be sorry to see the line end without completing vintage, but there will be loads of gaps in our collections anyway.
    2. I'd still participate occasionally in the forums and add bits to my website once in a while.
    3. Probably the story, but it's not quite as clear as one or the other. We've been very focussed on figures for the last few years.
    4. Yes, the Vaults of Grayskull website, my fan fiction and all the other content.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I'd thin out the collection considerably so it felt complete - within certain parameters.

And I'd be leaving behind a lot of Forums/Groups.

After telling a lot of members what I really think of them.

It would be a very sad day and to be frank I would probably not visit the Org half as much. I come here to discuss these amazing toys with people that love this franchise, but without those toys... I think my interest in MOTU would diminish somewhat.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

I would be slightly sad in my heart, but I think my wallet and especially my CC might say Thank god

I have a wonderful MOTUC's collection that I never thought I would have, I have more in MOTUC's than I ever did with the Vintage 80's MOTU toy line.

I also have three absolute Gems in my collection Shadow weaver who as a kid I hoped and prayed for to be made, Strong arm Same deal Always wanted him but never made and then my MOTUC's Castle Grayskull OMG OMG I never had the castle as a kid my friend had it so we had to use his Now I own a beautiful detailed castle that puts the original 80's one to shame.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

That will be a really sad day!!! I will need to find something else to collect!!!
    Please like my cool MOTU Universe FaceBook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/browse/admi...14947855236095

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    • 2.Would you continue to post and talk about the toys & stories online that you ALREADY have?
    1. I will always be a MOTU-Fan, but it would be sad to see the line go. I don't think we will ever see a toy-line like this again.
    2. Nope. Definitely not. Some members of this community give me way to much headaches. The only reason I still come here is because of the news.
    3. A cool looking toy is more important to me. I can create as many stories as I want all on my own.
    4. Yes it did. Some custom weapons (swords) and figures (articulated Hordak-Staction).
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    If they stopped making MOTU toys, that would be unfortunate.

However, they can't take back the joy I've had as a child, playing with my He-Man and Skeletor in Castle Grayskull and Snake Mountain. They can't take back the memory of the Faker figure I was given when I had my tonsils out. They can't take back the hours I spent watching good overcome evil in 22-minute blocks every day before school. They can't take back they euphoria I've been able to enjoy from this phenomenal throwback to my childhood. They can't take back the memories, and they can't take back these toys.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I'd probably visit here a little less but I'd still come, I've been here 14 years now and didn't disappear during the slightly dry period between 200X and MOTUC!
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Quite frankly, I'd be devastated. MOTUC has been a very important part of my life the past few years, and MOTU in general has been in my life, well, my whole life. I'm thankful and would be thankful for the amazing figures we've gotten, but to lose out on these last few figures to "complete" the collection would be very sad.

It would be a like a jolting life event that I wasn't prepared for. I know that these things happen in life all of the time, but still doesn't make it any less impactful.

I'd still be on here talking about the brand, but probably not as much.
    2015 MOTUC Line is ON! (Now make Tuskador PLEASE)

IF they stopped tomorrow, well that's it then. I'd be disappointed but in the end nothing I could do about it so I'd just deal with it. I already have a house full of vintage Masters and Classics so I'd be ok.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    1.How would that effect you as a Fan of The brand?
    2.Would you continue to post and talk about the toys & stories online that you ALREADY have?
    3.What's more important TO YOU, a cool looking toy or a well crafted story?
    4.Has MOTU ever inspired you to CREATE something?

1. I'd move forward creating my own Eternia, display would by then get all of my attention.
    2. As long as new topicalities maintain places like this :comics, cartoon, conventions etc, i'll be around !
    Even some simple "Hi" via the chatroom to familiar "He-mates" rejoyces me.
    3. Definitely both !
    4. It did yes : drawings, molding landscapes...
    Last edited by OnlyOneSkeletor; August 19, 2014 at 09:15am.

Heroic Warrior

I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't be happy that it's gone, although my wallet might be.

I don't post much anymore, so probably not.

The two are intertwined... a cool-looking toy is cool, but a story brings it to life.

I've tried to do some customs, but my strengths lie elsewhere.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    What if Mattel stopped making ALL MOTU toys tomorrow?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

[/I]
    1. It'd be a major bummer for sure. I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't burn everything I have now.

2. Maybe. People don't seem to talk about toys and stories though. They talk about how wrong people are or how inept companies are or how terrible everything is. I'll contribute to customs groups.

3. A toy. I have my own stories.

4. Yep, I've made a couple dozen customs over the past year or so. It's great fun and very fulfilling. I'm not a writer but I've composed my own version of the MOTUniverse for my creations to live in.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm at that point where I would be bummed that we wouldn't get to everyone I wanted, but I'm extremely grateful for the characters that I did get. Everyone that I was really on pins and needles for has come out, or is coming out. Now it's basically "icing on the cake" time for me. The line could end today and I would be somewhat comfortable with where we are at, but there are exceptions: Sssqueeze, Sagitar, Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn and the 200X head pack.

I would continue to talk about figures and stories that I already have. I think the fans woiuld take what they learned from Classics and apply it to the future of the brand -- what worked, what didn't work. There would be much debating as to who would get figures again, if MOTU gets another chance.

A well crafted or likable story will draw me in. I collect figures because of WHO they are supposed to represent, not usually soley because of visuals. But there are exceptions at times, like Draego-Man or Castle Grayskullman.

Collecting MOTUC has excited me enough quite a few times to the point where I wanted to create some of my own mini-comic stories, based around my own personal canon. I never did this, but sometimes my enthusiasm for MOTU gets that high.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

1. I would finally retire from MOTU in general. My wallet, mind, body, and soul have grown weary of the things that this community has gone through over the drama that orignated from the way MOTUC has been handled through out the years.

2. I most likely wont want to talk about MOTU as much if ever a again. Its a bitterness that stems from the cancellation of the line which to me is incompelte again. It will only bring up this painful memory of another cancellation (this one hurting the most). In addition I'm really in no mood to deal with the fools that are celebrating the demise of this line and say I told you so. I think they are more intrested in being right and their pride than supporting the brand.

3. The toys easily.

4. MOTU has inspired me to actually think about writing stuff in a Sword and Sorcery meets Sci Fi kind of universe.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Court Magician
    I'd be disappointed in not completing the line, but still satisfied with everything we've gotten, which is a ton more than anybody originally envisioned.

Actually, I'll probably feel the same way I did when the last Stactions were made. I still have those and along with the 200X figures I'm satisfied and proud of the collection. I don't feel that it's incomplete because of the numerous figures that were never made.

I wouldn't have much reason to check out this site anymore save for movie-related info if it ever gets made. Hopefully that will inject some much-needed media life into the brand and spur more interest. I doubt I'll collect a whole new line if one gets started.
    Last edited by Tenebrouser; August 19, 2014 at 12:57pm.

Not sure if I'm hitting all of the questions in order:

I will never stop being a fan of the franchise. MOTU was the first thing I got "into" in any real way. Also, I'm still collecting the figures! I started late into Classics, and I'm currently in the thick of it trying to get the ones that I want on the secondary market. I know a lot of the veterans here look at it like its done when the toys stop being made, but for me it lives on just because I could still be at the game of collecting for years to come.

I just joined the .org, and the forums are great. When I finally get a Dekker, I want to go on the Dekker thread and talk about him! When I get the Star Sisters, I want to go on their thread and talk about them too! I want to make new threads to talk with other fans about new things, like how their displays still hold up. How much have they trimmed their collections since the end, etc. There's still a lot to talk about.

I love a well-crafted story. Love it. Sure I have an imagination that can make up my own stories, and I have written many a fan-fiction surrounding Wun-Dar myself - maybe I'll share them one day - but the experience of reading a masterpiece novel or short story by a talented writer can't be beat. If I was on an island with the choice of the world's toys or the world's literature . . . I'd want both!
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    I'd thin out the collection considerably so it felt complete - within certain parameters.

And I'd be leaving behind a lot of Forums/Groups.

After telling a lot of members what I really think of them.
    That's funny. I have a desire to do this even though the line isn't finished!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

I'd be bummed if the line doesn't go through, especially without getting my Saurod. I will always love MOTU though, and now that my son is into it, it will always have a place. Without classics, it just means I can focus on my vintage collection and Star Wars Black
    I will still visit the .org, but I doubt it will be as often....actually, I know it won't be as often. But I will still check in to see what's new.
    MOTUC Needs:Fisto, Whiplash, Shadow Weaver, Spikor, Sorceress, Mighty Spector, Batros, Foe Men, Frosta, Griffin, Granamyr, Shadowbeast, Horde Prime, Jitsu, Rokkon/Stonedar, Jet Sled, Goddess, Wundar, Strobo, Castle Grayskull, Yellow Evil Lynn, Dekker, Pre-ternia He-man, Star Sisters, snake men, NA He-man, TP He-man, horde trooper(s), sky high, Faker, Snake MAA

1.How would that effect you as a Fan of The brand?
    2.Would you continue to post and talk about the toys & stories online that you ALREADY have?
    3.What's more important TO YOU, a cool looking toy or a well crafted story?
    4.Has MOTU ever inspired you to CREATE something?

1. I'd still be a fan. Nothing can change that. I would still collect to fill holes in my collection and may even continue filling holes I might not otherwise care about if existing figures were all that was available (Eldor, Geldor, Megator, Horde Prime, NA figs beyond He-Man and Skeletor, etc.).

2. My activity may dwindle at times, but it would spike when I was actively looking for figure(s).

3. You can create a well crafter story from a cool looking toy, but I can't make a cool looking toy right now, so I have to play along with what toys exist right now. When both are available, then it's a sure bet I'll be buying the toys and reading the stories.

4. It is inspiring me to create my own thoughts on how the stories told in the Alcala mini-comics would have progressed had they continued. And I created my own custom adjustments to a few figures. Not much beyond that.
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
      I'm cool with it, even if the 2015 sub is in jeopardy right now, I'm cool with it, I still have a lot of MOTUC figures missing, I've to catch up to have a complete collection and also, I collect other figures that aren't cheap (Cough, cough, Saint Seiya, cough, cough...).
      Of course, I've found cool people here and another forums and, believe me, I still have a LOT of figures to open, pose, take pics, display, etc.
      If a toy looks really cool but it comes with a poorly written story, it's ee-zeh to pull out a better story from your imagination, it has happened a lot with this line, also, my canonis way more different than the one Matty's offering.
      Yeah, my canon, I wanna paint a huge landscape when my MOTU furniture is ready, also; MattyCollector, pulling the customizer out from every single guy... LOL.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    I really love reading opinions and beliefs in contrast with my own. It always helps to understand people and where they come from when they explain these things! Thanks for replaying everybody. it's interesting to see who is in this just for classics and who isn't. It's as I suspected. I'm glad some of you "new guys" (from my perspective I still think of 2002 guys as n"new" LOL! I've been at this since the late 90's) will stick around. it's grat to think I'll know the same people in another 15 years, that i've known for the last 15 years Though I completely understand why others will not be around. I was like that way with JLU. I posted regularly to Toonzone.net and AFI. (Sup my cross section peepz!) In fact, when I completely lost my calm and geeked out explaining how my online name related to the comic he drew...he said "oh you post at toonzone.net, I love reading your comments they always make me think and laugh!". BEST COMPLIMENT EVER! Yet when JLU ended, I never went back to Toonzone. Sure I lurked. and I still check AFI. But JLU is over. It was was love, but it's over now...

but you NEVER get over your first love

But this also explains to me the difference of why I'm not worried about classics ending. Mattel can take away Classics, but they can never take away MOTU! for some of you Classics is your JLU. Oh man, I wish you could appreciate it the way I do, but it's understandable that you do not. I appreciate the time we have together. I'll cherish it like I would anything else that will not last forever, and I'll miss you when you are gone.

can we get #MOTU4ever trending? That would be awesome. But I don't use twitter.
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; August 20, 2014 at 01:46pm.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Heroic Warrior
    If it stops tomorrow, it stops. The world keeps turning and life goes on.

But it hasn't stopped yet. And it shouldn't stop in 2015. It is within our power to save the line for one more year. Now is not the time to abandon the universe. We must master it. We have the power.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk