Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Visions: Rock People!

MOTUC Visions: Rock People!

I wanted to take on this challenge for a long time, but it was all the Sorceress's wings debacle that made me go back to my old ideas and finalize it.
    Not without twisting it a lot, just because of what happened with Sorceress
    Without hopefully offending anyone at Mattel, I think transforming figures aren't exactly their thing, and while my first idea was to create a fully transforming figure, keeping the tooling budget low, I realized that maybe in MOTUC they should be executed differently.
    Of course, the 4H surely doens't need my input for Stonedar and Rokkon, so, while down below you will find my ideal designs for them, this thread is meant to explore how to make the Rock People work as action figure in the MOTUC line

The philosopy:
    scrapping the idea of fully transformable figures, I had to find another way to make them able to change from humanoid form to meteor form.
    And hopefully show Mattel these guy can be done propertly without sacrificing their gimmick completely (and maybe havign a separated rock form to display)
    The Soul of Chogokin method, with snap-on parts, would probably work better: I found myself accepting that as MOTUC figures are not really supposed to have real working action features but only emulate the action features (IE, Tallastar's extensions).

The transformation:
    As showed in pics 2 and 3, it can achived by simply folding down the figures, which have nothing different than any other figure articulation, exceped the extra neck-torso articulation. Then a set of rock plates can be attached to the folded figures to complete the rock form
    A separated set of smaller rock plates can be attached to the humanoid forms, to complete the vintage toy look. But even without those, the figures would be cool too, as they would look a lot like the cartoon version!

The tooling:
    yes, those figures have a lot of new tooling. Almost all the pieces are new.
    On Stonedar, only the hands and the shoulders exist already. Depending on how the thighs are executed, the could just have the red pieces glued to them, but I doubt Mattel would go that way, especially if the rock plates attached to the body with pegs.
    On Rokkon, the reused parts are the shoulders, the upper arms, the hands and the feet.
    Both figure share the same chest/neck/abdomen part, covered by different "armors".
    But here is the catch: all those new parts can probably be creatively reused for New Adventures characters! Even the rotating neck could be reused for Butthead!

Please also notice that I referenced cartoon's helmets to shape them and Rokkon has two silver tones: one for the armor and one for the rock and skin
    I hope you like them!

And here are Stonedar and Rokkon, based on the concept above:

Your just rocked my world!

...get it? Rocked my world? *nudges with elbow* Eh? Eh?

Excellent MOTUC compatible ideas and design!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Oh
    My
    God

Pure awesome.

But... I have to prepare myself to be disappointed in how Mattel actually does this!
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Wow. I had been trying to figure out for myself how they were going to achieve this. This is awesome! Dollars to donuts we get separate rock accessories though... OR do you think with all of the new tooling and two sets of rock armor, the figures could wind up costing as much as a beast SKU does? Maybe a two pak even...

Great job Emiliano

Wow, you did a fantastic job figuring out how that could function. Excellent work!

I really like (*edit - LOVE*) the attachable armors, those are totally awesome-tastic! If any part of that concept serves as inspiration, I hope it is that. Now, let me go ahead and throw out the minority/unpopular opinion (I'm predicting at least)...

I'd be okay if they don't transform. I never had them before so there is no nostalgia for me if they transform. Also I'd be very disappointed if the figure sculpt suffered to implement a transforming feature that did not transition well from that well thought out concept to design and implementation. Rounding it out, I don't see myself displaying them in rock form or buying two just to do it.

That being said, I love your designs and they always turn out super-groovy. Hell, if it were legal you could probably put a collection of them together on a poster and sell them for profit.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Simply amazing! So wish you were on Matty's payroll cause with designs like these. The MOTUC line would be perfect!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

wow. that's really cool. i was wondering how they might do those figs.

but i think it might work better if the rock transformation pieces connected to each other rather than the figure's legs and arms. the legs and arms are going to move around and my experience with transformers has shown that sometimes it's really hard to get the legs/arms to get in the exact position you need. therefore if you just crumpled your figure into position, you could just piece the rocks around him - connecting them to each other. then the arms/legs don't have to be juuuuuust right.

If you had asked me before this installment of MOTUC visions how I wanted to see these two, I would have insisted on having a true action feature with the rock parts being a part of the sculpt or at least have a separate rock form if they couldn't make it work with the sculpt. I think this is probably better though, because they're still kinda-sorta transforming. Now where's Jewelstar? heh

WOW! This has to be your best Vision yet. I would be so please if they looked like this in MOTUC.
    Last edited by 13977; January 23, 2012 at 05:15pm.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Now THAT is a genius idea for the execution of the rock people! Absoltely rockin' fantastic. I'd buy those two in an instant! Until I saw this design I wasn't really looking forward to the Rock people because I thought the would never be able to incorporate the action feature without compromizing the articulation. Great work!
    Cheers,
    TuShan

My Deviantart Page

Always Lurking Around Son of Keldor's Avatar
    truly amazing designs my friend. good reuse of certain parts make for alot of possibility for customization!

=)
    Can I get a "Hell Yeah" for Scorpia!!!

My Trader Feedback thread:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eldor+feedback

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    found a small mistake. not a big deal, but when folding it up isnt it "rotate" the waist 180 degrees, not 360. 360 would leave it in the same position as it starts with.

these things are very very well thought out. its sad Mattel doesnt have engineers like you buddy. great work.

*unget the awesomeness*

*dropjawed stare*

i LOOOVE the idea of folding the guys
    Grazellka the mighty Barbarian.

See my 3d works at www.eyerock.de

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    found a small mistake. not a big deal, but when folding it up isnt it "rotate" the waist 180 degrees, not 360. 360 would leave it in the same position as it starts with.
    I feel dumb now
    Thanks for catching that, I will fix it soon!

Well thought out Emil! Remarkable, I hope this is the route they take for the Rock People!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    yeah, finding a ***** in your armor is hard, but i managed to do it!!

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Beautiful work Emiliano, nice to see some support for the Rock People!! Very clever way to handle the Comet Warriors (if only they could make it into the MOTUC line.....)

Just one question: if you had to do Granita along with these guys, would you reuse parts from The Star Sisters?

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

PERFECT! Seriosuly, these are perfect! Awesome designs Emiliano! I really hope this is the the type of design we get for the Rock People. They'd be such awesome additions to the collection, and I really think this would work out perfectly!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I absolutely agree with the others' sentiments. That's a great design.

Widget
    Simply amazing work! I LOVE those designs!
    Jason Devall
    Executive Producer
    http://www.toyworldorder.com

They look awesome! I wouldn't mind if they couldn't transform as long as the figures look as good as your designs.
    END OF LINE

Now this would make for a great figure 2 pack! Only thing I wonder is what about Granita? Make it a 3 pack and have it cost more than the Star Sisters. Have it part of the sub! I would be very happy!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Absolutely amazing hope this is how they do them and that they include Granita. I agree I would buy them as a three pack in a heartbeat.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

PERFECT! Seriosuly, these are perfect! Awesome designs Emiliano! I really hope this is the the type of design we get for the Rock People. They'd be such awesome additions to the collection, and I really think this would work out perfectly!
    agree 100% here ... great work emil ! ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION