Thread: Halloween "Old School"

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Halloween "Old School"

So fellow .Org-ers (long-time member here, but haven't posted much in a long time), what are some of your favorite old school Halloween entertainments?

To kick things off with reading, here are some of my favorite childhood Halloween books (remember those awesome Troll book orders that your teacher passed out in class that were paper-thin? ) Nothin' beats Halloween stuff that you grew up with in your formative years. : - )

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; October 28, 2016 at 10:49am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Very cool thread!! Happy Halloween!!

I loved reading "In A Dark, Dark Room" and the entire Scary Stories series as a kid!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I absolutely LOVE the art in Scary Stories to tell in the dark!!...those images have stuck with me forever... !!
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Very cool thread!! Happy Halloween!!

I loved reading "In A Dark, Dark Room" and the entire Scary Stories series as a kid!!
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    I absolutely LOVE the art in Scary Stories to tell in the dark!!...those images have stuck with me forever... !!
    lol, yeah, those SSTTitD illustrations by Stephen Gammel definitely stick with you...they're eerie, and grotesque, but you can't help but look at them! lol...I actually read the original volume in bed last night for some good ol' Halloween nostalgia, and as a grown man there are still a few images in there that creep me the hell out! .... these are the thing in "The Thing", the severed head in "Me Tie Dough-Ty Walker", and the woman's ghost in "The Haunted House".

And Dirk Zimmer's illustrations have stuck with me as well...I think they were the first "horrific" illustrations I ever saw. Sure they were for a juvenile audience, but when you're a little kid, these kinds of things can stay with you forever! lol...just check these out...the eerie yellow-green skin of the corpses of those dead men with thick beards and bristly hair all over their faces and legs and feet, and their sallow sunken eyes, was way creepy as a kid...not to mention the fact they freaking came to life and spoke! lol And there's something extra eerie about the illustration with the woman screaming; you will notice the caretaker with the mustache is calmly resting on his spade, and he is not at all disturbed by seeing these corpses reanimate. It's as if he doesn't find this an exception to how things work. Ghastly...delightedly so! lol

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; October 28, 2016 at 10:54am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

I remember "Bony Legs" - guess they start them out young introducing them to the Baba Yaga.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"It was the time of the preacher..."
    - Willie Nelson, "Time of the Preacher"

^---Yeah, I just love Dirk Zimmer's wonderfully off-kilter illustration style. He has an "old world" style with just the right amount of disturbance about it, lol.

And how about Halloween viewing too? Old school movies and specials and the like...most people will always reference the Great Pumpkin, but here are some favorites of mine I love to watch:

I enjoy most of Vincent Price's old school spooky flicks, and this one is my favorite:

And I just love Looney Tunes' Witch Hazel!

And I love this classic '70s Sesame Street sketch with three witches a la The Weird Sisters from MacBeth (in a lesson of supernatural cooperation, lol):

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; October 28, 2016 at 05:20pm.

This is great! My son is super into Halloween - the Great Pumpkin and Nightmare Before Christmas have been everyday viewings this week, and we got "In a Dark, Dark Room" to read this year as well.

One of my favorite things to watch is Disney's DTV Monster Hits from 1987. I still remember the Halloween when it came on vividly - and my parents taped it for me so I watched it all through my childhood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Unless a book had pictures, I never read any..

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    This is great! My son is super into Halloween - the Great Pumpkin and Nightmare Before Christmas have been everyday viewings this week, and we got "In a Dark, Dark Room" to read this year as well.

One of my favorite things to watch is Disney's DTV Monster Hits from 1987. I still remember the Halloween when it came on vividly - and my parents taped it for me so I watched it all through my childhood!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...3c8f87e527.jpg
    That's awesome, Stream

I watched "Great Pumpkin" Friday night, the 2nd or 3rd year in a row after having boycotted it for many years (I kind of got put off of it years ago because Sally missed Halloween and I hated that aspect of the special as a kid, lol). I love the NBC too, but I prefer to watch it in November as it bridges both holidays.

And I just read "In a Dark, Dark Room" in bed last night, lol.

If anyone here is a sucker for a good documentary, there this is really interesting one about the origins, myths, and facts behind Halloween called "The Real Story of Halloween". I recorded it on TV Saturday to see again. It's a great examination of the holiday! (there are also "Real Story" documentaries on Thanksgiving and Christmas, as well).

I remember DTV from childhood too, that was fun stuff!

This is one of my favorites:

"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Oo those look good, guys. Last night on Halloween I watched Garfield's Halloween Adventure, Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow (the 1949 animated one), Disney's Trick or Treat, and some Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Heck, I love Halloween so much I even DVR-ed a couple of episodes of Murder, She Wrote that turned up in my Halloween search on my DVR that are Halloween-themed.

Oo, and these books were more goodies from childhood...way before my time, but they were in my elementary school library nonetheless:

Grandpa's Ghost Stories! I took that out of the library in elementary school so many times! I completely forgot about it until I saw that cover! Holy cow that brings back memories.

And In a Dark, Dark Room, I had that and the audio-tape with it. Listening to it used to creep me out so much (the teeth one especially), but I listened to it all the time regardless, I've always loved creepy stuff.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Wow - this is such a trip! I haven't seen these covers in years. Now I'm searching my memories to recall which ones were read to me and which ones weren't...

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    Grandpa's Ghost Stories! I took that out of the library in elementary school so many times! I completely forgot about it until I saw that cover! Holy cow that brings back memories.
    Awesome!

If you Google search "Grandpa's Ghost Stories James Flora" you'll get several image results of pages in the book.

And did you know he did a "sequel"?? Combining elements of Halloween and Christmas---check it out! (I never knew about this until adulthood):

hamlyn-ghosts-1978.jpg

Contains excellent illustrations that run the gamut from "eerie" to "soil yourself in terror". One of the pictures accompanying "The Walsingham Haunting" had this .Orger quaking in his boots for days afterwards.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is a pity because this week the National Association of Beholders wrote to tell me that I've got a face like a rucksack full of dented bells.
    (Charlie Brooker)

lol cool FiveOfSeven, that does look like a promising book.

By the way, as much as I love Halloween, it still doesn't feel quite right with the current time change. I remember growing up when we changed the clocks back a week or two before Halloween, so that way it was always getting dark when you prepared for your Halloween night, and it was already dark by the time you were ready for trick or treating or Halloween parties. Heck, you can still see animated reflections of this in the classic Halloween specials It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, and Garfield's Halloween Adventure (and many more from back in the day, I'm sure). When they go trick or treating, it's already dark (and by the way, why do they say "tricks or treats" in Great Pumpkin? I have never heard that anywhere else ever).

I don't know why we can't just stop changing time altogether, but if we won't, I wish we would roll it back to before Halloween like in the good ol' days when Halloween was dark, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I don't know why we can't just stop changing time altogether, but if we won't, I wish we would roll it back to before Halloween like in the good ol' days when Halloween was dark, lol.
    What time does it get dark in your neck of the woods?

Here in Massachusetts, it gets dark by about 5:30 pm. So it's always dark on Halloween here, as it should be!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Well you're lucky then, lol. I think sunset now for Halloween is near 7:00? I'm assuming so because yesterday (first day the time changed) the sun was going down around 5:45 or 6:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    And In a Dark, Dark Room, I had that and the audio-tape with it. Listening to it used to creep me out so much (the teeth one especially), but I listened to it all the time regardless, I've always loved creepy stuff.
    It's September 1st, let this year's Halloween season begin!

By the way Galmorzu, I never knew IaDDR had an audio tape---but I've found several YT videos of excerpts of it, so that's cool.

Oh, and when I was a teenager I discovered an audio tape at a store that had two "walk-throughs", side A was "A Night in a Graveyard", and side B was "A Night in a Haunted House". I really like this tape, especially the graveyard side. The whole thing has terrific sound effects, and man they sure got a terrific narrator for this with his deep spooky voice:

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; September 2, 2017 at 09:17am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    So fellow .Org-ers (long-time member here, but haven't posted much in a long time), what are some of your favorite old school Halloween entertainments?

To kick things off with reading, here are some of my favorite childhood Halloween books (remember those awesome Troll book orders that your teacher passed out in class that were paper-thin? ) Nothin' beats Halloween stuff that you grew up with in your formative years. : - )

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/13...80l/147728.jpg

http://www.libreriaplenitud.com/imag...64440905-l.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1zAfO95odL.jpg

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/14...6l/1325218.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_DDVVM5Mb7U...-of-thebed.jpg
    Ahh yes, Scary Stories to tell in the Dark. The image of the girl with the pale face stuck with me forever. I was trying to remember what book it was recently and now your post has helped me, so thanks! For some old school Halloween stuff I use to creep myself out and stay up and watch the Hitchhiker on USA along with these creepy shorts:

I also like to dust off my copy of Medievil on Playstation and play it in October since it has a very heavy Halloween feel to it
    " You are not a warrior, you're a beginner!"

Well I've almost been getting into the Halloween spirit as it has cooled off here in Kentucky thanks to those hurricanes blowing cooler weather this way, but we'll be back up in the '80s next week so I'm trying to hold my Halloweenness in until either it cools off after that, or until October comes if it doesn't cool off before then, lol.