Thread: What three things make you happiest in life and why?

Master of New Adventures!

What three things make you happiest in life and why?

Seems like the world's been going through tough times on many fronts for many years. So it's time for a little happiness by reflecting on our blessings/things that make us happy. Give us three examples of the happiness-inducing things in your life you happy and the reasons why they make you happy. Hopefully, when you do it will make others smile, make them feel happy and maybe even motivate them to explore new areas that you've revealed to them.

And oh, btw, sorry but kids, spouses, extended family, pets and friends don't count because we've all -- I hope -- got that.

EDIT: And yes, for the grammar police, I know it should have been "make" instead of "makes" on the subject line. Perhaps our mod will be kind enough to correct my error?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 22, 2017 at 03:23pm.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    What a lovely idea for a thread, Mr. Jack :-)

Let's see, I'll have a go at 3...

1. Nature - I love nature. It makes me feel so connected to the earth, the sky, the water. In particular I am a big advocate of rain, thunderstorms, and snow. To me rain is so cleansing, refreshing, rejuvenating, reassuring, and on a Freudian level I'm sure part of why I treasure rain and thunderstorms so much is because it innately reminds me of my childhood when it was raining and you couldn't play outside, so you played inside; and, having grown up in the 1980s, I had the best children's properties to play with. Toys and books and records of characters and worlds and shows I adored. So I know that rain makes me feel that wholesome happy plane of childhood in that way. And that sound of rain pattering on windowpanes, on the windshield, on the pavement, and how it makes the colors of the grass and trees and flowers and paving more vivid and alive...and I find thunderstorms so majestic in the rumbles of thunder and the awe-inspiring illuminations of lightning which really put on a show. I want as much rain and thunderstorms as I can have between March and November. From December to February, I want nothing but snow. I grew up in the country so growing up I always saw first-hand how utterly beautiful untouched snow is. Some people will go "?" at this, but I don't care: I love the "sound" of snow. Call me crazy, call me dreaming, but when the ground is covered in snow and flakes are gently falling down, I swear there is a unique gentle "silent sound" that is special to falling snow. Everything just feels safe, peaceful, and "right". I also love the night (I feel like that poem was written for me: "I am one acquainted with the night..."), and being a nighttime-lover, I naturally love stormy nights and snowy nights.

Speaking of nature, there is a park near me which is my favorite park to visit. It has a winding/circling path over a mile long, and what I love about it so much is that it encompasses several different biomes/environments all connected together. There are forested areas, there are farmland and fields (which remind me of home; my dad's a farmer), there are meadows, there are flower gardens, there is a very large pumpkin patch (which already makes me feel "Halloweeny" when I walk by it---huge pumpkins in August!), there is a large lake, and there are even swampy wetlands. I LOVE swampy wetlands, LOL. Again that will make people go "?", lol, but I don't care, I have always loved swamps and bogs. This one has a long dock you can walk on out to the middle of the swampy area, and in late spring there are dozens of lovely yellow irises flanking the dock. There is also a muskrat who lives there, and a pair of beavers, and I have seen a raccoon, a woodpecker, deer, a crane, and geese and ducks there. It's fun to walk there and think about the Marshes of Morva from The Chronicles of Prydain, the Swamps of Sadness from The Neverending Story, and even the Bog of Eternal Stench from Labyrinth, lol.

2. Jim Henson/Walt Disney - Okay, they're two different men, but the works of both of them are such immense parts of my life, and were congruous to each other in my childhood and formative years and adolescence, so I'm putting them both together. I grew up with Jim's Muppets and TV shows/specials, and the films and characters/books/records of Walt Disney, and their worlds bring me utter joy. Disney's films are beautiful and gorgeous (especially Sleeping Beauty and the Fantasias), many of them so engaging, with timeless songs and stories and amazing color and style and animation (and later, live action); and the theme parks are those worlds brought to three-dimension reality which you can become a part of while you're there. And Jim's Muppets are silly, zany, funny, endearing, charming, and magical the way they are brought to life and puppeteered/costumed with fleecing, feathers, and fur in every color of the rainbow, put together so imaginatively. They are also wonderfully adapted to books (some of the Golden Age Sesame Street books still amaze me with their artwork to this day). And they are so warmly nostalgic for me, as well. When my sister and I would visit our set of grandparents who lived farther away, we would always gravitate toward the four magical 1965 volumes of Walt Disney stories at their home in the living room bookshelves. We loved poring over those pages with their wonderful artwork, reliving those Disney tales over and over again. And at my other grandparents, who lived much closer, I would spend many a day over there absolutely enthralled with Sesame Street. Also, like I mentioned in another thread, Jim brought my family together on Saturday afternoons at 1:00 with local re-runs of The Muppet Show, which definitely broadened my awareness of culture and performance. And to this day I still hold Fraggle Rock as the most wonderful 1/2 hour children's show ever created. The characters and stories and songs are brilliant, and the production values are absolutely marvelous. The vividness of the colors of those underground caves (and the Gorgs' world up above), and the audio---they actually sound like they are in caves, with that natural echo effect. Amazing. And in his fantasy worlds I'm a big fan of Labyrinth and especially The Dark Crystal. (I could go on and on about the works of both of these men)

3. The 1980s - Music, movies, film, I love it all (and my childhood toys and shows as well). '80s music just makes everything better. And I love that time capsule feeling of watching great '80s movies that are "comfort films". And then there is television...oh, '80s television...when I watch DVDs of Mama's Family, Mr. Belvedere, The Facts of Life, The Golden Girls, Who's the Boss?, Free Spirit, 227, Cheers...I love that feeling of watching something that was "real" during my growing up years, and still loving the shows so much for their characters and scripts, and the countless laughs they bring me. I love popping them on and just "going back in time" and enjoying these wonderful shows before "reality TV" was ever a phrase (sorry, no offense to reality fans, but good ol' sitcoms for me are where it's at).

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker!
    And oh, btw, sorry but kids, spouses, extended family, pets and friends don't count because we've all -- I hope -- got that.
    And anything racy that might go in the Tar Swamp doesn't count either! lol ;-)
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; August 22, 2017 at 06:32pm.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Three of mine but not necessarily the Top 3:

1. Another vote for nature. I spend a ton of time just sitting outside listening to the sounds and looking at the sights nature provides. Just about the only form of artwork that I truly love and enjoy is nature and landscape photography. From the mountains to the ocean, I love it all. And just like Mer-Man's Minion different types of weather bring me joy. I'm a particularly big fan of Fall weather.

2. Golf. It's my number one obsession and rules my thoughts some days. I enjoy playing and watching others play. Even practicing gives me a lot of enjoyment. It helps that I'm out in nature while doing so and that adds to my enjoyment. I love that it's a sport that people of all ages and genders can enjoy together. It also is a sport that really has a big social aspect to it as well. I'm actually getting pretty good

3. Good Food. I love eating a variety of different things and really look forward to certain meals. I like taking my time with them and really enjoying the flavors and the preparation the chef/cook provides. My entire day can sometimes be highlighted by a really good meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    EDIT: And yes, for the grammar police, I know it should have been "make" instead of "makes" on the subject line. Perhaps our mod will be kind enough to correct my error?
    It's all set, Jack.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Ty, dedset13.

It is said that the master rug weavers of ancient Persia would intentionally place a flaw in their creations so as to prove they were not the equal of God. This is my excuse when I screw up...on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    It's all set, Jack.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    What three things make you happiest in life and why?
    1) Money - Makes living a whole lot easier

2) Beautiful Women - Makes living a whole lot pleasurable

3) Entertainment (Movies, Books, Games, etc.) - Makes living a whole lot endurable
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Why does this not surprise me?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    1) Money - Makes living a whole lot easier

2) Beautiful Women - Makes living a whole lot pleasurable

3) Entertainment (Movies, Books, Games, etc.) - Makes living a whole lot endurable

1. crush your enemies

2. see them driven before you

3. hear the lamentation of their women

alternatively
    1. irn bru it's made in Scotland from girders!

2. 80's music, films, toys, tv series, clothes especially tight jeans and massive hi top trainers/ sneakers -the decade when humanity peaked in nearly every aspect it's all mostly gone downhill now.

3. victory in combat sports whether a knockout, an ippon, a choke out or a submission, the physical domination of a worthy opponent by your own strength/ skill is a primal assertation of your right/ ability to survive on this planet as nature intended and a verification of your hard work to get to that point.

Hoping for figures of: King Hsss slave girl, Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, Gorgonne and the myp giants.

mattel:"it's like Japanese imports, they cost what they cost, the shipping and fees are part of it"....customer:"yeah, that's why I don't buy them either"
    mattel:" why is there no support for this line?"

I'll go with Conan.

Quote Originally Posted by clashfromjem View Post
    1. crush your enemies

2. see them driven before you

3. hear the lamentation of their women

alternatively
    1. irn bru it's made in Scotland from girders!

2. 80's music, films, toys, tv series, clothes especially tight jeans and massive hi top trainers/ sneakers -the decade when humanity peaked in nearly every aspect it's all mostly gone downhill now.

3. victory in combat sports whether a knockout, an ippon, a choke out or a submission, the physical domination of a worthy opponent by your own strength/ skill is a primal assertation of your right/ ability to survive on this planet as nature intended and a verification of your hard work to get to that point.

My Wife, My Dogs, Good Movies, and obviously Masters.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    Craft Beer - I don't know if it makes me the happiest. But it tastes great, goes well with food, and goes with the next mention.
    It also made everyone realize just how good beer really can be. No longer, does it have to be yellow swill with the taste of armpit sweat.
    Now people know there can be notes, varying body types, and all kinds of cool, and experimental variations on subgenres. There are Honey, Chocolate Stouts.
    There are Coffee infused Blonde Ales. There is the glory of New England Unfiltered IPA. If you watch Classic Game Room you've come to the realization
    there exists a beer called Sex Panther.

Video Games - Maybe it's because I grew up with the Atari 2600. Maybe it's the memories of computer gaming on the Commodore 64, marathoning the Mega Man
    games on the NES, or the many hours of Berzerk, Street Fighter II, Golden Axe, Alien Syndrome, Ikari Warriors, or The Simpsons Arcade Game in the arcade. I honestly
    couldn't imagine life without gaming at least once in a while. I've always found them more interesting than other forms of entertainment. Make no mistake. I love my music collection.
    I'm listening to The Dollyrots as I type this. But few things are as engrossing. There are games that are about breaking that hi-score. There are games that are interactive fiction.
    There are games that try to tell a deep immersive story. There are games that are about strategy, and cerebral exercises. There are competitive games. There are sandbox games.
    RPGs, Shmups, Fighters, Puzzle games, Sports games, Beat 'em ups. RTS games. Turn Based Strategy games. Point, and Click Adventure games. With awesome characters. Plus there
    are so many cool people I've met, and befriended because of them. Games much like music have made hard times easier, and easy times brighter. Plus collecting them is a whole
    hobby unto itself. The next time you're at a yard sale, and you see an Atari 2600, controllers, and some games for cheap. Buy it. Go home, hook it up to a VCR. Hook that VCR up
    to your TV. Unless your TV only takes HDMI. Then connect the VCR to that upscaler you had to get for your old DVD player. Pour yourself a nice, India Pale Ale, and fire up some Missile Command.
    Sometimes there's nothing more soothing than a 30+ year old cartridge, and a really great pint of beer.

Masters Of The Universe. What can I say? It was pretty much most of my childhood. How many toy lines honestly had such glorious character rosters, and intricate stories? Sure you can bring up
    G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, and TMNT. But MOTU was often far deeper than any of those. No matter which iteration you chose as a kid, the Filmation show, the mini comics, the other media
    there were so many great things going on. The chemistry between He-Man, and Teela. The lessons each of the major characters had to learn, and get through. Sure, there was some silly, and straight up
    corny stuff in there. But there was a lot that was endearing. With the Filmation stuff in particular it was even more amazing they pulled off what they did considering all of the restrictions they had to deal with
    that later shows didn't. That's before you even get to the toys themselves. There was nothing else like them. I saw the commercials for the figures before I ever saw the cartoon, and instantly wanted them.
    Here was this badass dude with more muscles than any action star. Riding an ARMORED TIGER, to kick the ass of an equally beefy bad guy, who looked straight up hardcore. What other toy at the time had a freaking
    GRIM REAPER with an awesome armor, and a GOAT SKULL STAFF. What kid didn't want to be that kind of super hero?

But even beyond that, MOTU was the escapism I desperately needed when I was 5 years old. I didn't have a ton of friends at school. I had a few, but I was often the target of bullies.
    I probably dealt with a different nemesis until my Junior year of High School, except for maybe the 8th grade, when by some miracle my mom got me a pair of Reebok Pumps, and somehow
    that got them to leave me alone. I'm not bitter about any of that, I just mention it to set up what the property did for me when I was a very young lad. But when I was a kid the only thing more exciting
    than getting He-Man stuff was getting a video game. I can still remember the year I got Tri-Klops. I can remember getting Beast Man. I still remember near the end of the line, getting a few dollars from my Grandmother when the family was at the mall, and immediately getting Gore-illa at Kay Bee. It was easily the most played with line of toys I owned. I spent many hours with my siblings, and friends playing with those toys. My brother had Snake Mountain, I had Castle Grayskull, so we would often set up armies of Heroic vs. Evil warriors. We also had a bunch of the Galaxy Warriors knockoffs. So those would always be the first to die in battle.
    I also remember whenever one of my figures went missing it was likely dragged along on a double date with Barbie, and Ken. My sister didn't own multiple Kens. And Teresa didn't want to be a third-wheel on that movie date.
    Of course she did have a couple of the Princess Of Power toys, So she would often borrow Grizzlor, and Mantenna. My sister is pretty cool. She, and my brother-in-law are really good with my nieces. The older one
    will clown you in Mario Kart. They're already 10, and 9. Where does the time go?
    Anyway, the point is MOTU is awesome, and my childhood was a lot better because of it. The 200x line was a blast to collect even if I did have to drive all over Connecticut, and upstate New York to get some of them.
    I love the MYP cartoon. I would have kept collecting via the Classics line, but as awesome as they are, I simply can't afford to get into them. Hopefully the Super 7 vintage continuation line will go mass market. I did splurge
    on Possessed Skeletor, and it's super cool.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?