Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Black Friday a con?

Master of New Adventures!

Is Black Friday a con?

Okay, I get that stores advertise a few really amazing deals and a lot of deep discounts for Black Friday. And every few years or so I'm tempted to venture out into the maelstrom. But then I wait around and in the last week or so leading up to Christmas most of the stores have this big advertising blitz about "Biggest discounts of the year." Not only that, but today I've got a slew of mail and emails about specials on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week that will be equal to Black Friday, notably from The Gap.

So what do you think? Are the Black Friday deals really better than what you can get in the last week of shopping before Christmas? Is it really worth hurling yourself into the vortex to save a few bucks, or even ten or twenty bucks?

For me there are a couple of elements at play. First, we traditionally go out to the Christmas tree farm the day after Thanksgiving to get our tree. Then the whole family trims it while we watch the Nebraska game and listen to Christmas music. And anyway -- and call me nuts if you want to -- I really like shopping the last week before Christmas. Imo the crowds are more civil than on Nuts Black Friday and the spirit of the season is really in the air. So it's a no brainer for me.

But what about you orgers?

I wish black friday didn't exist and that no store was allowed to be open Thursday. As it is with this day and age black friday isn't what it used to be. You can usually get most of this stuff online at this or better prices anytime during the year. I think they get the whole mob mentally worked up so people think they have to have something.
    Is not not licking toads

Black Friday does have a few deals that are worth considering in my experience, but it usually isn't worth the frenzy that ensues.
    That being said, I have to work on Black Friday this year, so I will not be participating in the madness.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be,
    In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
    - The Boondock Saints

No I don't think BF is a 'con' its not even BF anymore with stores opening on Thanksgiving the past few years. I liked the old term 'Day After Thanksgiving sale' as they were called back then. I would go out with my family in the morning but around 730 or 8, I never did the 5am wait in line stuff. We'd make a day of it-shopping/lunch- it was fun. I have gone out the past few years Fri morning around 6am and the stores are like any other normal shopping day now that the rush occurs Thanksgiving night [which I will NEVER do] Its not the same anymore with stores opening on Thursday. Deals have never been that great to begin with either.

But if someone wants to wait in line at BestBuy for a week to save 50.00 on a tv well let them-doesn't affect me.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Depends on the item. For instance Target has all the infinity characters on Black Friday 2 for $22 but right now they have the old ones on sale for $5.50 each. Toys R Us does the same thing. There are always a couple of really amazing deals but honestly the deals I've been finding the past few weeks have been better.

Not to mention Today Best Buy had black friday pricing for rewards members so I did online ordering with free shipping on the stuff I was going to be trying to get. Last year I did most my black friday shopping online with no issues.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer spending the day with my family in front of the fireplace, decorating the tree and making turkey pot pies with the leftovers.

The best sales are really after Christmas.

Black Friday is the fools rush.
    The smart shopper waits until December 26th.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    The best sales are really after Christmas.

Black Friday is the fools rush.
    The smart shopper waits until December 26th.
    This. My wife and I always start our shopping December 26th. We get a good bit of it done then. After that, we buy little by little through the year and are usually done by September or October. Then we let everybody else (sometimes literally) kill each other in the stores while we sit back and enjoy the holidays with specials, decorating, going out to see lights, shows, etc.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

This covers it nicely

Running the underground

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Anyone who knows me knows my disdain for Black Friday.

It is slowly eclipsing Thanksgiving as the more important holiday, e.g. Thanksgiving is now just BF Eve...

More than that, these stores that open on Thanksgiving Day are repulsive. They expect their employees to miss time with their families, friends, loved ones, etc.. in order to make even more money for them?!? Disgusting!

When is enough going to be enough? When every store is open 24hrs. every Thanksgiving? When did shopping become the focal point of this time of year? Is buying a new DVD player at 20% off really worth missing food, fun, and conversation with loved ones?

I'm not going to judge anyone who participates in the BF festivities (even if they start at 6:00pm on Thanksgiving day...), but I can liken the situation to a bunch of fat CEO's throwing a porkchop into a pit of hungry wolves, then standing back and watching the chaos ensue.
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Black Friday started out like Free Comic Book Day did.
    IMO, a great idea for a boost of retail interest when it first started. Now just standard practice that people expect, that has very little long term benefits for the retailers.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Heroic Warrior

Long winded incoherent ramble. sorry.

I slightly sort of kind of similarly agree with you.

I agree that things are and getting more out of hand but it's NOT B.F. It's Christmas or maybe it's the almighty currency or is it brick & motor stores trying to get that last currency out of you for the year(end)? To me they all have a hand in it. To me the problem is how Christmas is handled. Now the distinguished statesman (yes. I'm kissing ass) Mr. Olesker and others will disagree as it is mentioned in another thread on their feelings about Christmas but I personally feel that is crammed down our throats way to early. sept and oct is to early in my opinion. The cramming is done by brick and motor stores to make one last currency to have a black ink q4 and year end financials. That is the root , in my opinion, of all the problems. everything else is just a chain reaction effect aka the snowball effect.

BF is not eclipsing Turkey Day. Christmas is. To me , in my opinion, Christmas is losing it's meaning not turkey day. not yet at least. Case in point, anyone on these boards besides me use to have x-mas eve and new years eve off but not any more? were those lost days replaced with vacation days?

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    It is slowly eclipsing Thanksgiving as the more important holiday, e.g. Thanksgiving is now just BF Eve...

More than that, these stores that open on Thanksgiving Day are repulsive. They expect their employees to miss time with their families, friends, loved ones, etc.. in order to make even more money for them?!? Disgusting!

When is enough going to be enough? When every store is open 24hrs. every Thanksgiving? When did shopping become the focal point of this time of year? Is buying a new DVD player at 20% off really worth missing food, fun, and conversation with loved ones?

I'm not going to judge anyone who participates in the BF festivities (even if they start at 6:00pm on Thanksgiving day...), but I can liken the situation to a bunch of fat CEO's throwing a porkchop into a pit of hungry wolves, then standing back and watching the chaos ensue.

Free nerd crack err Free Comic book day is totally different. FCBD is just an excuse, a master plan, to lure in new addicts err new readers in. In my opinion.

Black Friday is a last ditch effort to obtain currency at Q4 and year end. TO end those two things on a good note. In my opinion.

You want to reign in black ink Friday? reign in Christmas then reign in brick & motor stores. In my opinion.

(though I do sort of kind of see your point JVS3)

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Black Friday started out like Free Comic Book Day did.
    IMO, a great idea for a boost of retail interest when it first started. Now just standard practice that people expect, that has very little long term benefits for the retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I slightly sort of kind of similarly agree with you.

I agree that things are and getting more out of hand but it's NOT B.F. It's Christmas or maybe it's the almighty currency or is it brick & motor stores trying to get that last currency out of you for the year(end)? To me they all have a hand in it. To me the problem is how Christmas is handled. Now the distinguished statesman (yes. I'm kissing ass) Mr. Olesker and others will disagree as it is mentioned in another thread on their feelings about Christmas but I personally feel that is crammed down our throats way to early. sept and oct is to early in my opinion. The cramming is done by brick and motor stores to make one last currency to have a black ink q4 and year end financials. That is the root , in my opinion, of all the problems. everything else is just a chain reaction effect aka the snowball effect.

BF is not eclipsing Turkey Day. Christmas is. To me , in my opinion, Christmas is losing it's meaning not turkey day. not yet at least. Case in point, anyone on these boards besides me use to have x-mas eve and new years eve off but not any more? were those lost days replaced with vacation days?

Free nerd crack err Free Comic book day is totally different. FCBD is just an excuse, a master plan, to lure in new addicts err new readers in. In my opinion.

Black Friday is a last ditch effort to obtain currency at Q4 and year end. TO end those two things on a good note. In my opinion.

You want to reign in black ink Friday? reign in Christmas then reign in brick & motor stores. In my opinion.

(though I do sort of kind of see your point JVS3)
    Christmas -- at least in my mind -- has little to do with presents. Not I'm not crazy enough to say it has 'nothing' to do with presents. Rather, it is about -- sorry for the cliche -- peace on Earth and goodwill toward men...and women. It's about showing unconditional love and tolerance and kindness toward each other and I just can't see anything at all that's wrong with that. If it was up to me I'd keep that feeling and mindset going all year 'round. Rein in Christmas? No, let it loose. Let the true spirit of it dwell in everyone heart 365 days a year.

And btw, I'm in far too positive a state of mind and far, far too loving toward everyone to enter into a debate on these points. I respect everyone's right to feel as they wish, and I ask everyone to respect my right to do the same. Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Black Friday is over as we know it with the birth of the Internet. So many of the deal you can get in the stores you can sit in your home in your pajamas and get them on the computer. I think it's disgusting that places are open on Thanksgiving and they should be closed. Those employees already work long hours during the holiday season and now they are expected to work on Thanksgiving to ? unaccetable.

I saw a post on Facebook that pretty much explains it all . On Thanksgiving we are thankful for everything and then the next day we are ready to trample someone for $100 TV
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I agree with others.

With the world of internet people would just go online and just buy stuff without hassle going to the store with the long queue and long fight, Apparently few online vendor start the discount like 2 or 3 days early.

You know that I'm a gaming freak, as for right now the earliest BF gaming sale already start on Friday last week on Xbox market. GOG, Origin, and other hardware site has started the deal past 2 days ago so there's definitely no hassle or long queue or anything as they know the stock going to be there live.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Black Friday is over as we know it with the birth of the Internet. So many of the deal you can get in the stores you can sit in your home in your pajamas and get them on the computer. I think it's disgusting that places are open on Thanksgiving and they should be closed. Those employees already work long hours during the holiday season and now they are expected to work on Thanksgiving to ? unaccetable.

I saw a post on Facebook that pretty much explains it all . On Thanksgiving we are thankful for everything and then the next day we are ready to trample someone for $100 TV
    Here's a problem I do have though. Not picking on you but since you and Ornclown brought up the disgusting part with places being open.....I have a problem with the double standard of boycotting places. Hotels, restaurants, gas stations, air ports...people expect them to stay open to meet their needs. People expect to watch football too....the players and coaches have families as do all the people it takes to run the stadium, station and televise the games. What I'm getting at is if one should demand that retail not be open during a family holiday, they should demand that nothing be open. No double standard. Stores don't force people to shop. If you want to call for everything to be closed then you need to boycott traveling, hotels, pharmacies and Football.

(My mom works at a hotel across from the airport and there is a Packer Game thanksgiving...guess who doesn't get to come to Thanksgiving this year)

On Thanksgiving we are thankful for everything and then the next day we are ready to trample someone for $100 TV
    Damn right, need that TV for my man cave.

Happened to stop in at Aerie this evening with Kim. They told us pajamas were buy one, get one free -- same as they will be on Black Friday. Stocked up on six pairs for my angel as a pre-Christmas present. Black Friday...yeah. I rest my case.

Happy T-day all

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Happened to stop in at Aerie this evening with Kim. They told us pajamas were buy one, get one free -- same as they will be on Black Friday. Stocked up on six pairs for my angel as a pre-Christmas present. Black Friday...yeah. I rest my case.

Happy T-day all
    Happy Thanksgiving Jack.

Steam Black Friday started on 1pm Eastern Time Wednesday, so I grab on what I want until summer time next year.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

So what's the verdict by those who partook? Was it worth it to save twenty, thirty, forty or fifty bucks?

Locally the stations reported the malls were pretty quiet.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

We were swamped at work yesterday. We didn't open till 7 am but we did around $5000 in sales in the first 20 minutes of being open...which is amazing for a small independent store like ours.

Locally the stations reported the malls were pretty quiet.
    That's what I heard as well.

Everyone I know who worked on BF said the stores were busy for just a few hours on Thanksgiving for the big deals but after that it was pretty much regular business. My friend who's a manager at TRU said it was a ghost town after people came in and grabbed the big discounts. They even sent home almost half the people who came into work.

I think most just bought online. That's what I did. I went to do my regular bi-monthy grocery shopping at Walmart and did though pick up a few deals. I got some DVDs and also picked up that Frozen Castle that was mention in the Classics section for my POP gals. It was on sale for $99 but they had one with a really damaged box so I only paid $70. I figured if I don't like it I can always give it to my nieces.
    Transparently Yours,

Bonehead

Heroic Warrior
    All I know is, watching videos of this animalistic behavior of humans on this day is disgusting. If I was there and seen my MA get pushed, I'd be catching a charge and someone's going in icu..

And now, thanks heavens, on to the real fun...CHRISTMAS!!!

And it's just my opinion, but I think we're moving toward a point where Black Friday is going to be every day after Halloween. With Black Friday sales down by 10% this year and on-line sales up by 13%, I think retailers are feeling tremendous pressure from on-line shoppers. Sales associates are generally saying that traffic was down and, except for shoppers grabbing admittedly great bargains during the first few hours, "it was like a regular shopping day." I honestly think this is the year that Black Friday loses its relevance. In light of the tsunami of on-line shopping and the fact that non-chain cyber stores stores can offer lower prices than retailers because they don't have the many of the costs of brick-and-mortar venues to deal with, retailers' only option, it seems, is to lower prices, cut their profit margin and run sales earlier and longer. Now there's no question but that many retailers are consummate pros and are still doing well. But there's also no question but that the last manufacturer of the last buggy whips made the very best buggy whips.

All of which is good news for consumers...except those who happen own Walmart and Target stock.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 28, 2015 at 05:20pm.