Thread: Why doesn’t She-Ra fly independently of Swiftwind?

Hybrid View

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar

Why doesn’t She-Ra fly independently of Swiftwind?

In the Filmation episode “Gateway to Trouble” She-Ra turns her sword into handcuffs which fly under its own power and restrains Skeletor. Her sword therefore flies magically when required.

Handcuffs.jpgSkeletor Handcuffed.jpg

This in turn suggests She-Ra can fly when she possesses her power sword. So is there a reason why she is never shown flying solo under her own power?

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    She does in my storyboards, but levitation or trans-conetic magic is the hardest kind of magic on Eternia, mostly fire and ice is easy, for magic users, natural blood magic users that is, or mind powers, mind control and visions are easier.

On Trola things are different, very different. Everybody floats, all the time. Nobody passes the salt.

Perhaps it's not comfortable being dragged around by a sword? Besides, she'd have no one to talk to.
    Коможедапрочитанекапрочита:овимсајтомуправљајулуда циопседнутиконтролом.Јебаоихмателијебаоихскот .

In the mini comic Journey to Mizar She-Ra shows some anti gravity / levatation ability while holding her sword as she falls from agreat hight. She also uses the power of flight and teleportation on one of the UK She-Ra comics. An ability given to her by the Starburst cape and the mask of the whisps, which also allows her to breath in outer space!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Sword to Jetpack! Sword to Chopper!

Those would have looked really silly as She-ra was meant to be graceful hence why she has Swifty.

You can't fly without wings.

She does fly of sort when she propels herself into a somersault or something
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

I think we had some great answers so far.

My personal explanation is that She-Ra is deliberately keeping her ability to fly solo a secret so that at a later date she can surprise the Horde with her new found ability to escape capture, carry out aerial attack, travel large distances quickly without the assistance of Swiftwind, etc.

And here’s the image of She-Ra from the mini comic "Journey to Mizar" using her sword as an anti-gravity / levitation device to slow her descent from great height (thanks to Angel-T for pointing this out ).
    journeytomizar-05_full.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    In the Filmation episode “Gateway to Trouble” She-Ra turns her sword into handcuffs which fly under its own power and restrains Skeletor. Her sword therefore flies magically when required.

Handcuffs.jpgSkeletor Handcuffed.jpg

This in turn suggests She-Ra can fly when she possesses her power sword. So is there a reason why she is never shown flying solo under her own power?
    This is kind of off-topic, but doesn't it seem like She-Ra was sort of liberal about tossing her sword around. I mean, by using them as bodycuffs on Skeletor, she's basically giving the enemy her power sword. It seems like He-Man held onto his sword more often when battling Skeletor (of course, his didn't turn into other objects that I can remember).
    Check out my Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power fan comic web series at http://cosmiccomicrealm.weebly.com and leave feedback at my blog http://cosmiccomicrealm.blogspot.ca

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMasters View Post
    This is kind of off-topic, but doesn't it seem like She-Ra was sort of liberal about tossing her sword around. I mean, by using them as bodycuffs on Skeletor, she's basically giving the enemy her power sword. It seems like He-Man held onto his sword more often when battling Skeletor (of course, his didn't turn into other objects that I can remember).
    I think She-Ra was quite safe here as the bodycuffs (called handcuffs in the episode) successfully held Skeletor while He-Man with his power sword was at hand should things have gotten out of hand. I take the point though. Would you risk your most powerful weapon in your battle to free the people of Etheria by using it to immobilize a single powerful enemy? I presume She-Ra used her wisdom, assessed Skeletors capabilities and calculated he posed no significant risk to her power sword. She also wanted to find out what he was up to on Etheria and one way to do this was to interrogate him while he’s held captive.

I’ve looked at the scene again and it’s a little odd as She-Ra clearly throws her sword and it converts mid-air into the bodycuffs, but then we have a scene where the cuffs are in place around Skeletor and She-Ra is still holding her sword?

The Twins and Skeletor.jpg

And once He-Man and She-Ra agree to Skeletor’s proposal to join forces and find Modulok the bodycuff vanishes!

Is this poor animation, a poor script or is it a demonstration of an unknown power of She-Ra (e.g. willpower-based construct)? I can’t answer though the cuff disappearing makes it seem deliberate to me. Maybe someone else can explain. If it is indeed a willpower based construct then she never gave the sword to Skeletor in the first place and it was safe in her hands all the time.

Call me a Filmation purist, but She-Ra doesn't fly without Swift Wind because flight isn't one of her powers. It's really that simple.

Not every hero can fly: He-Man, Wolverine, Iceman, Spider-Man, Psylocke, Black Canary just to name a few. To me, She-Ra can't fly just like she can't teleport like Nightcrawler, cast spells like the Sorceress, or phase through walls like Kitty Pryde.

Swift Wind allows her flight, and I believe the sword is special all on its own, so those times it seems to levitate don't really count as an ability of She-Ra's but rather an ability of the Sword of Protection.

Just my opinion.

I always liked that her sword could change into simple objects like rope or a shield, but I hated the more outlandish stuff like "Sword to Ice Maker."
    Last edited by Blue; January 30, 2012 at 09:10pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..'Sword to Cheese Grater!'

I think it would be hard to define magic in Masters, and it is very important to have serious and silly things at the right times.

Would you risk your most powerful weapon in your battle to free the people of Etheria by using it to immobilize a single powerful enemy?
    Yes, this thought crossed my mind too. By throwing her sword around, she stands to lose it. But then again, there were plenty of times during the show when logic seemed to bend in favor of the sword. How many times was it taken away from Adora only to make it back to her? How about the extreme fascination Shadow Weaver showed it in the pilot, only to then never recognize it again?

As for She-Ra flying, I'm glad she couldn't. As it was, she and Wonder Woman have a lot in common - I like there to be some limits on what the heroes can and cannot do. The fact that She-Ra couldn't breathe in space (for the most part) made sense, as did her inability to fly. After all, He-Man couldn't!

Anyone else remember the time that She-Ra turned her sword into a shield, and then used it to "glide" around in a battle with some Horde Troopers? I always thought that looked too much like flying.