Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would the Return of 200X Heads Sell More Subscriptions?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Would the Return of 200X Heads Sell More Subscriptions?

Alternate heads that came with new figures would prompt some fans to buy more than one figure to display multiple versions. 200X heads in particular, extends that option toward a lot of the B-list and lower vintage MOTU characters, theoretically making the sales go swifter. Now seemingly, this would be in the realm of day-of sales. But would those heads (we get about 6 vintage characters a year) influence actual subscriptions themselves?

If the ban on 200X heads were lifted as a big announcement around SDCC, are there any fans out there who would buy multiple subscriptions in order to easily get both looks? Or has Mattel and Digital River's many screw-ups thus far fouled things up so badly with the fandom that not even long asked for 200X heads could save it? Would fans not buy extra subs and take their chances braving the Mattycollector WSOD to get those multiple looks, even with the figures being lower produced?

Discuss.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

if they are good like Fisto then yes i think so. if they are ugly like Evil-Lyn and 2000x in name only then no

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

I personally don't think 200x heads is enough of a carrot to get subscribers if Shadow Weaver wasn't. There was more demand for her than people demanding 200x heads.

The 2012 sub was shown to have included 200x heads for Fisto, Kobra Kahn and Stinkor yet it was still the lowest selling sub. 200x heads are not the answer for subscribers

I would buy a second of any figure that has the extra head,200x only sweetens the deal.

Seems like a win for them,and us.

I don't think so... If the faster shipping from 2010 was back and no QC/CS nightmares were guaranteed, now THAT would help Mattel sell more subs... But extra heads would be gravy...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I do not think so. Last years anouncment of the inclusion of figures based on Filmation rights did not increase subs. So I do not believe an anouncment of the 200x heads would change anything either.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Knowing up-front what I am buying (if only the name of the figures and not the order of their release)....Customer Service...NO WAY am I going to get a sub with all the complaints. Of no charges, extra charges, & canceled subs.

I think they need to improve the fundamentals of business services rather than trying to increase subs through more product...
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I personally don't think 200x heads is enough of a carrot to get subscribers if Shadow Weaver wasn't. There was more demand for her than people demanding 200x heads.

The 2012 sub was shown to have included 200x heads for Fisto, Kobra Kahn and Stinkor yet it was still the lowest selling sub. 200x heads are not the answer for subscribers
    Maybe it's me, but I thought the use of Shadow Weaver to sell subs had the opposite effect of what Mattel wanted. There might have been some fans who might have refused to buy subscriptions out of spite for the "dirty tactic" of using the sub as the only way that you could get the long wanted Shadow Weaver. Some people might not have signed up for the sub out of that general principle.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

That would have to be a very, very small percentage of people. I don't know many people who choose to cut off their nose to spite their face

In a word: Yes.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Maybe it's me, but I thought the use of Shadow Weaver to sell subs had the opposite effect of what Mattel wanted. There might have been some fans who might have refused to buy subscriptions out of spite for the "dirty tactic" of using the sub as the only way that you could get the long wanted Shadow Weaver. Some people might not have signed up for the sub out of that general principle.
    It sure was a really dirty tactic!
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Heroic Warrior
    It depends.

I prefer most figures with vintage head, exceptiona are Mer Man & Stinkor and maybe a few other figures in the future...

So 6 extra heads a year is going to prompt people to spend another $600+ a year so 6 figures can be displayed multiple ways? I don't think that's very likely. I think if one was really interested in getting multiples of those specific figures, they'll just buy extras on the sale day, ebay, BBTS, etc. I think if those people who want multiple subs for a variety of reasons, they either already have multiple subs, or did at one point and cut back.

I don't think 200x would do anymore to motivate people then adding in Filmation figures. I mean I know it would be MegaGearMax's dream to get 200x back but its not going to be anything that would drive people in mass

And we will know how well Shadow Weaver drove subs in late July/August, if the sub figure is another one like her and not a rarer/obscure one like 2010 and 2011 then you will know it worked as planned.

To date I only know of 2 people personally who opted out of 2012, one was blackiecats who did not like the lineup and opted to get Shadow Weaver from BBTS and the other was a international friend who just could not afford it. Everyone else I know went with the sub for Shadow Weaver despite all the complaining over the decision, I feel 2013 will be exactly the same.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

If they would just use either Filmation or 200X when needed it would be fine, And even on some characters to amalgamize certain characters with their 200X counterpart would be nice. I still would have liked to seen the 200X face plate for Grizzlor. Also while Snout Spout is nice. I like the 200X looking head design better. Cause sometimes the 200X did improve the look of a vintage/ Filmation character.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Well as of now almost all of the vintage/200x characters have been released with the exception of Two-Bad, Ram Man, Mekanek, Jitsu, Mosquitor, Mantenna, and the other Snake Men.
    Wants Crita Veena Angella Mermista Peekablue Tung Lashor EvilSeed LizardMan Prahvus Saurod Gwildor Ninjor Ssquueeze Sagitar Calix Tuskador Perfuma Spinnerella Dragstor Vultak Dylamug Masque Sebrian DreeElle Montork Miro Blast Attack MultiBot Granita Hawke Hunga Kittrina Quakke Butthead Hoove Darius Spinwit Nocturna Kayo Lizzor Artilla Vizar Staghorn Lodar Twiggets Rotar Twistoid Sunder Drissi Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    If they would just use either Filmation or 200X when needed it would be fine, And even on some characters to amalgamize certain characters with their 200X counterpart would be nice. I still would have liked to seen the 200X face plate for Grizzlor. Also while Snout Spout is nice. I like the 200X looking head design better. Cause sometimes the 200X did improve the look of a vintage/ Filmation character.
    I agree, some of the 200x designs did improve on the vintage look, most notably for me was Rio Blast. I still don't think that is enough to hook more subscribers though

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Yea I was going to say, there were 3 200Xish heads when the sub sales started. I don't think that alone will drive sales, but I do think that extra heads add a lot of value to a figure. heck I recently broke down and got an extra Trap jaw and BG Evil-lyn just so I could display both at the same time.

I don't think there is one "deciding factor" in sub sales, but things like character selection, extra heads etc all add up.

Honestly I think the reason the 2012 sub sales were lower is a combination of 2 factors. The first is time, as more time goes on, either people will get all or the majority of the characters thay are interested in. Also as time goes on people may have to cut spending due to a number of factors, job change, child on the way, etc.

The second factor is that i think the line is a bit over the peak of what the greatest number of potential subscribers wish to pay for a sub. There is a lot of product in 2012, and not all is included in the sub. Plus the increasing pressure to sub may not be helping.

Assuming that the 200x heads will be something like what we got for the first few figures in the line and Fisto, then YES! I would certainly buy a sub.

If it turns out to be a half assed attempt like BG Evil-Lyn or Snake Man-At-Arms, then No.

A reason for me to Cherry Pick is that I don't want stupid vintage heads like Leech, Snoutspout, Buzz-off, etc, I skipped those figures for that very reason. On the other hand if those figures had come with alternative modern heads (doesn't have to directly be 200x, just modern) then I would have jumped on them right away making a very good argument for me to get a sub since I would already be buying most figures released.
    Last edited by kup; January 25, 2012 at 09:16pm.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    What is wrong with BG Evil-lyn's head? I think the helmetless head is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    What is wrong with BG Evil-lyn's head? I think the helmetless head is great!
    Not her head but her dress. It is still a major bummer that she is mostly just a repaint. A failed 200x tribute doesn't necessarily have to exclude the head, depends on the character I guess.

It may influence my decision. Depending how things go this year, I may choose to get 3 subs next year to cover the figures with 2 heads and any army builder type items. I figure I could try to sell off what I didnt want to help compensate for it.

If next year they were doing 200x heads. I would buy 2 subs if they guaranteed all figures would have 2 heads. I have only bought multiples of Captain Glen, Palace Guards, He-to and Shadow Beast. So this would sell more in this case.

I am no longer against getting the same figure again for a 200x version head. Bring on 200x Leech, Grizzlor, Hsss, Roboto, and Buzzoff.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I don't think so...I don't think there are as many 200X supporters as opposed to other supporters as one may think. The line was derived from the vintage figures, not 200X or NA, so I really don't think it would matter much.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I always enjoy getting extra heads and if the extra heads make much of a differance I like to buy multiples to display both. But, I wouldn't buy an extra sub for this reason. I would just buy the extra figures on sale day.