Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would the Return of 200X Heads Sell More Subscriptions?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Probably not enough to offset the profit margin. I don't want just multiple heads, I want more figures handled like fisto.
    This! Fisto is probably the best example of one figure being able to pull off both the vintage look and the 200X look very well through his included accessories. 200X heads alone simply aren't enough, I'm looking at you Whiplash.

Personally, extra heads, be they 2k2, Filmation, mini-comics, cardback, vintage or something else entirely will never get me to purchase a second figure alone much less a second subscription. For me to want to double dip, there's gonna have to be way more than a second head. There's only one figure that has successfully caused me to purchase a double so far and that was Trap Jaw since he came with an extra arm and head to turn him into Kronis. I'll probably double dip for Marlena one day though that has to do more with wanting the different bios than wanting to display her both in Queen and Astronaut mode. Second heads have never been a deal breaker for me, I understand that for some people it is, for me, it's just an extra accessory that ends up in a box of spare parts that I pretty much never use.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Good figures would sell more Subs, MUCH better Qualitiy and service provider and of course as less as possible "B", "C" and "D" characters.

A thought occured to me after reading this and watching Pixel Dan's Twobad video. I hope they don't make a straight 80's toy remake of twobad.

Heroic Warrior
    If Mattel want to increase sub sales for 2013, they have to release more heavy hitters, more stuff that almost all fans want!

Widget
    I would buy any figure that has the extra head,200x

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Era of Origin™ doesn't stop fans from buying two figures to display both options instead of one. That goes for alternate heads in general, not just 200X. Including 200X heads makes alternate heads and fans buying figures twice even more likely. Remember, some fans brought two Mer-Man or Man-At-Arms figures to display them both ways instead of changing the heads constantly and weakening something. Fisto is widely liked because of the sculpting and display options.
    I get that, but just because some like 200X doesn't mean that others would buy them for that. I get that some buy doubles for double heads, but it's not an exclusive to 200X characters thing. I for one don't like the 200X style, and a lot of MOTUC collectors like different eras, but I just don't think 200X heads alone would mean anything. I just don't think there are enough collectors that would care about them being 200X.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

An extra head is always a good idea, even if it's just another expression.

The more characters you can create from one figure, the better deal you have.

Fisto is a shining example of how to do it right (except his giant sword holder & the crown not fitting over his nose).
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by AximusPrime View Post
    This! Fisto is probably the best example of one figure being able to pull off both the vintage look and the 200X look very well through his included accessories. 200X heads alone simply aren't enough, I'm looking at you Whiplash.
    well to be fair he did have a 200X head and 200X weapon, not has great has fisto, but still a little more than just a head
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think extra heads would sell more subs. For me, extra heads do encourage me to buy extras of those figures on the sale day, which is why I am against going down the sub or nothing route.

For some figures, such as Fisto, I buy an extra to be able to display both. For others, such as Mer-Man and Whiplash, I'll buy four or five extras for army building. You've probably seen some of the photos on my site.

So, bearing in mind I'm actually not a big 2002 fan, extra heads are actually quite a good hook to make me spend more. I won't necessarily do it every time, and the army building thing is a very infrequent treat to myself, but it's definitely something Mattel should do even if it doesn't sell more subs.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    If Fisto, Khan, HP, and Stinkor are any indication, I'm pleased with how things are going in the extra heads department.
    DING ding ding....We have a winnah!!! I for one think Mattel actually LISTENED to the fans. So far so good.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
    I for one think Mattel actually LISTENED to the fans. So far so good.
    I just hope they don't listen to the fans wanting dumbed down simplified variants to match Filmation's cost cutting/time saving techniques. No hyper anime detail and no placid non-anime generalizations!
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not sure that the return of the 200x heads would sell more SUBS (given the awful service Matty gives with the subs), but I'm pretty sure that 200x heads would sell more FIGURES !

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I get that, but just because some like 200X doesn't mean that others would buy them for that. I get that some buy doubles for double heads, but it's not an exclusive to 200X characters thing. I for one don't like the 200X style, and a lot of MOTUC collectors like different eras, but I just don't think 200X heads alone would mean anything. I just don't think there are enough collectors that would care about them being 200X.
    You mean like all of the good buzz on Fisto? Imagine the negativity if Fisto didn't come with a 200X headband head, like Grizzlor did?

According to an official He-Man.org poll, in the big hierarchy of things, vintage is first, 200X and POP is pretty much tied for second (I think one is slightly higher than the other by either double or triple digits) and NA is a distant third. If 200X is comparable to POP, that's a pretty good chunk of the fanbase.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I don't think issues like extra heads helps move significant amounts of subs. I think that the subscription is just too large of a price tag in this economy, especially someone who is deciding between multiple subs. That's really the issue with a decrease in sub sales.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

You mean like all of the good buzz on Fisto? Imagine the negativity if Fisto didn't come with a 200X headband head, like Grizzlor did?

According to an official He-Man.org poll, in the big hierarchy of things, vintage is first, 200X and POP is pretty much tied for second (I think one is slightly higher than the other by either double or triple digits) and NA is a distant third. If 200X is comparable to POP, that's a pretty good chunk of the fanbase.
    That's only because Fisto looked different enough, but how many more 200X can you get without getting a whole new figure most of the 200X have already been done, or not deemed fit to get an extra head already (for whatever reason). Fisto wasn't just a head it was a sword, belt & head, and the whole look was more than just what a head could give, not to mention Fisto was already a wanted figure, that all added up to the hype, not just the head. To me the back of the armor, and that big shopping cart on his back kind of kill it for me, not to mention that huge sword, not that you have to use the sword, but then you're stuck with that stupid huge thing on his back.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

It's a no brainer... extra heads increases purchases based on people wanting to display two versions. How could it not?

I don't think 200x heads would sell more subscriptions, just like I don't think Shadow Weaver alone, sold a LARGE QUANTITY of subs. I think there are 3 key elements of why people would/would not subscribe, besides just being a fan of the line.

1. The ease of collecting the line. No hassles....no problems. But as some have experienced, Mattel has had it's fair share of problems turning some people off, whether it's quality control, bad customer service..etc

2. The cost of the figures. The most important to me. I started with 2 subs when the line first offered them, but had to drop one because of the added costs when the beasts and quarterly variants were added to the line. It was just too much...so I would buy my extras on sale days if I could afford it. Rising costs = less sales/subs.

3. The selection of characters. We all know by now that the character selection per year is a mixed bag. If you only like a portion of characters and not all eras/factions, then someone may not want a sub for 5 or 6 must-have figures.

I think those 3 elements are the selling points of subs. I don't believe a certain character or adding more heads or an extra weapon is going to sell more subs. It may add a few, but not a significant amount.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Personally, I don't think "200x" belongs in this discussion, as it causes people to get too "Era Wars"-ish.

I think the bigger issues are:

a) Maintaining a perception of value: With SOOOOO much reused parts in this line, any unique parts (whether the influence be from 200x or not!) are going to spice things up exponentially, and give us less pause when asked to fork over premium money for what is too often retail store quality in terms of new parts and accessories.

b) Delivering a true "Collectors Line": Collector's Lines go above and beyond kids toys because as adults we shouldn't have to worry about parts that come off and get lost. And we like many accessories and extra "stuff" in general because it increases the display options. The figures that people buy multiples of aren't because of 200x but because they have multiple compelling display options.

c) Keeping new figures feeling fresh: I'd venture to say most of us here bought and own(ed) entire collections of the vintage and 200x lines. And sadly, there have been far too many releases that offer nothing new beyond an overwhelming vintage figure fidelity with respect to design. We know this line is going to be in the Classics style but that shouldn't be stopping anyone from allowing the 4H to deliver fresh, exciting, NEW elements to these figures. MAA's weapon rack, Scare Glow's Grayskull reliquary, Fisto's belt, Khan's lizard buddy . . . these are the things that are instrumental in making us feel like we're not just rebuying these figures for the 3rd time. These are absolutely essential to maintaining any kind of buyer base IMO.

d) Updating the figures to an appropriate adult aesthetic: We're not kids anymore. We don't need goofy stuff. These characters are badasses. Every one of 'em. And they should all look the part. No exceptions.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    That's only because Fisto looked different enough, but how many more 200X can you get without getting a whole new figure most of the 200X have already been done, or not deemed fit to get an extra head already (for whatever reason). Fisto wasn't just a head it was a sword, belt & head, and the whole look was more than just what a head could give, not to mention Fisto was already a wanted figure, that all added up to the hype, not just the head. To me the back of the armor, and that big shopping cart on his back kind of kill it for me, not to mention that huge sword, not that you have to use the sword, but then you're stuck with that stupid huge thing on his back.
    Some characters like Grizzlor, Clawful, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone and Snout Spout only needed an extra head. Others can go the Fisto route and have accessories and attachments, in addition to 200X heads that give fans even more customization options.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Depending on how different the look, yes I do buy an extra display figure for the head. I also think if they incorporated more styles on characters that need them or should have had them (i.e. Buzz Off, Grizzlor, Clawful, etc) then people would be more inclined to buy into the sub.

The problem I think has happened with the sub, is there is too much product for multiple subs or for people who in this economy can't afford $700 (with S&H and tax) that is probably about what each of us is paying in the USA.

I think the beasts should be excluded from the 2013 sub and the variants. Go back to the basics of the 12 monthly figures. I will still collect every product produced, but some beasts and some variants I don't want two of due to the price and lack of interest. As a completist I want every product MOC, however some of the variants (especially basic repaints with few additions) are not something I need a second of to display. I am not looking forward to having two SMAA, I don't even like the concept but since I want everything made (hopefully not this lame of variants in the future) I need him MOC once.

I would like to have the option on deciding on a second beast or variant, but as some of you may say, then just buy one sub. I don't want to have to fight on the 15th and pay more just to get two of the monthly figure. If i have to pay more for a variant I want to display or a beast, that is my fault for getting one sub. However the price for the subs is expensive since 2011, that is why sells have dropped for subs. I also think the product selection in 2011 and the availability online for so long for a figure left vendors with overstock, so they played it safe this year. Purchased less stock and will buy more based on demand on the on sale date (if they do pre-order or expect the monthly figure to be a highly wanted figure). I think we will see this in Feb with the Sorceress (dispite her cannon shoulders, she is an icon and the first time since the original line to have her in a moveable plastic form).

I hope they fix her cannon shoulders and re-release her down the road, there are many concepts people have come up with to fix this issue. I am still not sure why Scott and Mattel thought changing the 4HM's design and adding those hidious shoulder boulders would be a good idea. Unless you have her facing forward with people to the sides of her, you won't notice, but even with characters right next to her, from the side view of your display it will still be noticeable, that is why it was such a strange choice to go with, I would much rather have manually opened her wings and they could have been on little pegs in the torso for each wing hidden under the main feather on her back, so unless you lift up the feather you would never even notice the assembly.

Sorry I went on about that, but I also think issues like this prevent people from getting subs. King Hiss's second snake body was a let down, backward shoulders on him and Roboto and just various other issues. I do think saying no to 200X heads had a bit of a backlash for subs. I think Mattel doesn't realize that fans aren't wanting an anime style head, but just a different look to the figure. MOTUC should offer the vintage with a second 200X style design, not the anime, but just a change in appearance. Clawful's head to me sticks out in my collection, if he had the 200X head and it was more mean and vicious (or evil to say) I would have loved a second head for him. I am not sure why after Whiplash it was such a problem. I thought that was one of the reasons people liked Whiplash so much, so why take away a factor that is helping sell a figure.

That's my opinion, it wouldn't necessarily improve the subs, but I think the more Mattel says this is no longer going to happen (i.e. 200x inspired heads (which are still happening), no more re-releases of any characters after Man-E-Faces, less stock for non-sub holders, higher prices, no discount on shipping, QC issues, bad customer service, I could go on and on.....these are the reasons for the decline).

If they want to see improvement in subs, they need to address fan problems, but customer service is always the first thing that needs to happen. Improving customer service (listening to fans, understanding their concerns, assisting with issues, providing reasonable shipping, ensuring QC is a priority, etc.)

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    so far i have been buying two figures that have been coming with two heads. if this give you an answer.
    i was very disappointed with the figures that did not have the expected 200x heads. i'm still upset yet i'm kinda hopeful we still might get them.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Some characters like Grizzlor, Clawful, Buzz-Off, Sy-Klone and Snout Spout only needed an extra head.
    I'm with you but I think Roboto needed a 200X head as well.

Others can go the Fisto route and have accessories and attachments, in addition to 200X heads that give fans even more customization options.
    True. On the other hand, additional heads aren't enough for future variants like MYP King Hiss, MYP Sorceress, and MYP King Randor. These variants require heavy amounts of new tooling to avoid the BG Evil-Lyn letdown.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    well to be fair he did have a 200X head and 200X weapon, not has great has fisto, but still a little more than just a head
    Yeah, but 200X Whiplash is so distinctly different from Vintage Whiplash that a mere head and weapon on the body of what is clearly vintage inspired looked out of place and lazy on the part of the designers. Either do it right (i.e. Fisto, Kronis/Trap Jaw, Stinkor) or don't waste resources.
    Last edited by AximusPrime; January 27, 2012 at 07:05am.