Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would the Return of 200X Heads Sell More Subscriptions?

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    If there would be much of an impact, I'd think it would be on individual sales. Not subs. Heck, I'm considering purchasing another Skeletor to pop the Alcala head on.

Granted, a little bonus wouldn't drive anyone away -- I wouldn't think And, of course, there are plenty of folks out there that would buy multiples to display each head. If there is enough of these people to justify Mattel's expense is a good question.

I dunno if it would sell more SUBS, though. I'm guessing that if you'd buy a second figure, you'd want to either: a. keep one MOC and one to open, or b: want to display both of them. Since it is safe to assume that most of the 200x characters have already been done and that you cannot guarantee that all characters in a year would be 200x cross overs, I doubt it would have much impact.

Elder Councilman
    Actually I think the following months should likely boost Sub sales for 2013; I think people are a bit overconfident after how long most of the stuff was available on "day of" last year, and might be thinking it'll be just as easy to get it this year.

They'll find out the hard way.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Give us extra heads!
    People LOVE to have a choice. And there are always those who'll buy multiples!
    Add a second head to all the Snakemen - I'm going t buy multiples just for having more Snakemen characters!

Add alternate heads Mattel!
    I mean come on! There are even those thast bought Man-E-Faces 6 times because of his faces!
    6 TIMES!

Oh and saying all that - yes there'd definately be more sales if we were guaranteed that the figures would come with an extra head!
    Talking about unused potential...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    We NEED 200X heads as options for ALL of our figures. It doesn't cost more and you don't have to use it if you don't want it. For $30, we should have more, not less.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    TG knows that 200x optional head is what we want!
    Last edited by Mamblo; January 26, 2012 at 03:10am.

I tend to want second figures if the head is good enough to warrant having both version, i.e. trap jaw or marlena

In a word: No

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I don't think so...I don't think there are as many 200X supporters as opposed to other supporters as one may think. The line was derived from the vintage figures, not 200X or NA, so I really don't think it would matter much.
    The Era of Origin™ doesn't stop fans from buying two figures to display both options instead of one. That goes for alternate heads in general, not just 200X. Including 200X heads makes alternate heads and fans buying figures twice even more likely. Remember, some fans brought two Mer-Man or Man-At-Arms figures to display them both ways instead of changing the heads constantly and weakening something. Fisto is widely liked because of the sculpting and display options.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Head pack, head pack, shouting He-man, transforming Keldor, helmet-less Man-at-arms, comic head he-man,
    Helmet-less Zodak, etc,... It's the way to go, were adults we won't find it creepy!

Beasts were made to kill Mamblo's Avatar
    Since 200x variation belongs to the motu universe why not?

I'm all onboard for 200X heads for sure.

Heroic Warrior
    I was thinking about this again. Though I would want some 200x-heads, it wouldn't make me buy a sub.

Heroic Warrior
    I would buy another sub just for them to make the extra heads we need. Helmetless Zodak and Duncan, non-smiling Keldor, etc.

I usually buy multiple only if there is (or could be) an overall different deco option. Trap Jaw/Kronis, Marlena/Glenn, Fisto/200X Fisto, etc.

Alternate heads always sell more units - period. It doesn't matter, if they are 200X styled or not.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

I don't think that including 200x style heads would increase subs sales, but I think including extra heads will. I bought 2 subs this year because if I can find a reasonable reason to display a 2nd head then I usually buy 2. Like Kobra Khan will be displayed hooded with King Hsss and no hood will be with Skeletor.

I don't think it matters if it is 200x based head, I just think that extra heads will drive up sub and day of sales. Day of more so, but I can say I bought an extra sub this year because many of the initial characters came with extra heads.

I think that they would increase sales. I always buy a second figure whenever they have another head.

If Fisto, Khan, HP, and Stinkor are any indication, I'm pleased with how things are going in the extra heads department.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCollector View Post
    We NEED 200X heads as options for ALL of our figures. It doesn't cost more and you don't have to use it if you don't want it. For $30, we should have more, not less.
    Sorry, but that is wrong. Additional heads do cost more due to tooling costs.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Would the Return of 200X Heads Sell More Subscriptions?
    Nah.......
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    If Matty released a $30 'Pak' containing, for example, the 200X Clawful, Tri-Klops, He-Man, Hordak, Hssss and Skelly heads, with five recoloured Weapons Pak weapons and maybe a couple of beast heads - an extra Kaligar head and something that might fit Gygor (peaceful Gygor/Zombie Gygor?) may suffice.

There is now a whole generation to whom 200X is now "vintage" or "classic". It is almost the same passage of time now since the MYP cartoon and new figures debuted that had passed since NA in 2001/2 when the whole reimagining was announced.

Therefore it would not be outwith some boundary of trades description to sell 200X headed figures.

Zodak, Carnivus, Marzo and Keldor exist in the line, so it has always been disingenous - and deluded - for certain parties representing Mattel to say the notion of 200X was unacceptable or "dead" in their eyes. Even after this announcement, Whiplash had his Kaligar head, Grizzlor had his staction loincloth and weaponry while the 200X power sword was woven into the whole deal..
    Last edited by Gragar; January 26, 2012 at 09:17am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    THe problem with the subs has nothing to do with the product; it's the foul-ups like the rash of sub cancellations happening now that are driving customers away.

Having an extra head doesn't help sell the sub to me if I have to fight Matty at least a couple times a year just to keep said sub going.
    Last edited by scott metzger; January 26, 2012 at 09:27am.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Probably not enough to offset the profit margin. I don't want just multiple heads, I want more figures handled like fisto.

It wouldn't sell me on anything extra, the hyper anime detail head would just get tossed in my parts bin.

I wouldnt buy an extra sub, unless I knew every figure was getting a 2nd head, but 2nd heads do increase my day of sales.

but I dont trust mattel enough to buy 2 subs, just to try to catch the ones with 2 heads. BBTS is a good back source for those if I miss out on day of sales

Quote Originally Posted by Southzen View Post
    Probably not enough to offset the profit margin. I don't want just multiple heads, I want more figures handled like fisto.
    and yes it should be more than just a head, fisto is the perfect example on how to do classic and 200x in one shot
    Last edited by fireball13z; January 26, 2012 at 09:40am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    the ignore list is my new best friend

It isn't about 200x heads or Shadow Weaver selling subs or not selling subs. The problem is people who don't subscribe do so because they feel a sence of entitlement to know the entire years figure lineup before they will commit. I'm sorry Subscriptions just don't work that way, I don't care if it's action figure Subscription or a Magazine subscription. You sign up with the info given to you and with MOTUC's they give you the first three monthes & the club exclusive upfront before the subs go on sale.

I don't think Hasbro would give an entire years star wars figure line up away if they offered a subscription either. Too many problems can come up during the year in which said subscriptons items may need to be revised, so it makes perfect sence that Mattel can't give out the whole year in advance. I think it's great we knew all the way up to june 2012 by Powercon and in just a few weeks we will know up to september also.

I'm not sure what mattel could offer aside of Castle Grayskull for subscribers only that would draw enough interest. I can only speak for myself, If I like what I see at SDCC for the 2013 Club Eternia offering I'll buy the sub.