Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott address QC issues

Scott address QC issues

Posted on Facebook a little bit ago

MOTU Classics fans,

Toy Guru here. Last week I posted an update covering many of the recent issues on the MOTUC line. A few (okay, more than a few) customers have written to me to clarify issues about quality control (QC) that were not addressed and explain how we will be improving on this. I am happy to address this and to do so, let me go back and cover some previous issues we have had to shed some light on why certain figures have turned out less than perfect.

1: Green Goddess – Breakage Issues on the Torso

Despite constant rumors, this issue had nothing to do with “cheap plastic” or even the use of translucent plastic. A small percentage of Green Goddess figures did have issues with the lower torso cracking. This was the same issue we had with retail DCUC Wave 3 and Wave 4 produced at around the same time. The sonic welder used to fuse the joints together was causing microscopic tears in the plastic which would later lead to breakage. We quickly tried to inform customers that this was a joint issue and not a plastic issue (although for some reason many didn't believe us and cusotmers continue to rail about cheap plastic which I assure you is not the case as noted above) What is key, is as you may have noticed, this issue has not come up in ANY other figure since then. Fans and customers like to use this as a bell cow for QC issues, but it only happened to one figure and we quickly resolved the issue by recalibrating the sonic welder. So it hasn't and won't happen again. ISSUE RESOLVED!

2: Backwards Shoulders on Roboto and King Hssss

Okay, this one we messed up. Both figures were assembled wrongly from Day 1, but the catch is that not a single member of the team noticed this issue. I am 100% to blame just as much as design and engineering as I personally had both figures on my desk for weeks and never noticed this swap. As a frame of reference only, this issue was so minor in the details that it was missed by the Horsemen and all of the fans at NYTF, as well as by all the reviewers who received a PR sample. Not that that is an excuse, it is just a point of reference for how easy it was to miss this issue! Yes, the shoulders were attached wrong and it kills me that we missed it. We now take extra care with any new parts to ensure it is assembled correctly. It hasn’t happened since King Hsss almost a year ago and shouldn’t be an issue going forward. ISSUE RESOLVED!

3: Inverted Legs on Swiftwind and Missing Missiles on the Windraider

While on the surface this seems like a similar issue to the shoulders on Roboto and Hssss, it is actually not. For Roboto and Hssss, Mattel was sent early samples to review and we (myself included) completely dropped the ball and didn’t notice the fine detailing that differentiated the two shoulders.

For Swiftwind and Windraider, a very small number (but just as important) of customers received horses and vehicles with errors. All of the pre-production samples we received at Mattel were assembled correctly. So this is not a case of us missing QC problems with review samples. This is purely a case of human error at the vendor.

What looks like happened is a small batch of Swiftwind figures was hand-assembled incorrectly against our review instructions. The same for the Windraider, a small number were shipped without both projectiles. This was a case of human error. It does happen sometimes.

I know that is not an excuse, it is an explanation. All MOTUC figures are assembled and painted by hand. Sometimes (ideally rarely or not at all) mistakes will happen.

We do have a return policy where any product may be exchanged free of charge (for 30 days) for a correct product. But you do need to return the defective toy to get a new one. So in a sense, this issue is resolved. There will always be that small percentage of human error in any product line. It is regretful when it happens, but it does happen some of the time. To compensate, we have a return policy in place to ensure customers get a corrected figure. We can’t stop human error, but we can compensate for it with a return/exchange policy. HUMAN ERROR.

I hope this sheds some light on some of the issues we have had. Of course we are committed to eliminating all QC issues, but at the end of the day, when you are running a very small online collector line, there will be QC issues on occasion. I hope the fact that the breakage issues with Goddess and the shoulder swap issue with Roboto/Hssss has not repeated itself is a sign that we are working on things. We can never fully eliminate human error, but we can put a policy in place to ensure returns and exchanges are possible on the occasional -- but hopefully rare -- human error.

Nothing is more important to us than our customers and delivering the high end product you expect and deserve. We are committed to constantly improving QC issues and hope to continue to deliver the highest quality figures possible!

For the role I have had in maintaining or dropping QC, I personally and humbly apologize. Things like the swapped shoulders are absolutely my fault as well, as I had those figures on my desk with the wrong assembly and never noticed. Other issues like human error in China are hard to control from my desk here in El Segundo. They do and will happen from time to time, but we will do all we can to prevent or correct them.

I know fans continue to bring up QC issues a lot. But really, to take a step back, except for the repeat of the reversed shoulders on Roboto and Hssss, other issues such as the pelvis breakage have never repeated themselves. Even smaller issues like tighter joints, softer loin clothes and better paint ops have improved over time. Ideally the fact that customers have not seen the same issue pop up again is proof that we are addressing issues. But we can certianly solve one issue and another unrelated one does pop up.

Yes, QC issues will always be there (as with ANY consumer product line) but we are working around the clock to fix things and improve things. Human error (like what happened with Swifty) does happen from time to time and is unavoidable. But as I said, we have a policy in place to replace items at our cost if this happens.

The future is nothing but bright for all of our collector lines. We are committed to eliminating as many QC issues as possible and will keep working to bring you the best product possible.

Scott Neitlich
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Ok thanks for addressing and apologizing. SO when can we expect fixed versions of these figures??? My Goddess just broke today.....
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    Ok thanks for addressing and apologizing. SO when can we expect fixed versions of these figures??? My Goddess just broke today.....
    Unfortunately, this is a sticky one as we can't hold onto replacement stock indefinately. We only hold onto CS for about 30 days so if a figure breaks down the road it is just not something we can adjust. Yeah, I know. Not ideal by a longshot. But hey, it is one figure in the entire line that this happened to and the issue has not repeated itself. That doesn't make it better, but with the very limited resources we have it is the best we can do.

We actually had someone contact CS recently to replace a 2002 retail Man-At-Arms figure that someone broke. Maty.com doesn't even have this in stock nor have we ever. Heck, this figure was made years before I even started at Mattel. CS also told me two months ago someone wanted to return a See N Say from 1976 that just stoped worked. Bottom line is toys don't last forever - BUT with Goddess this was a legit Mattel production error.

Yes, Goddess had a defect. And we did replace Goddess for much longer then 30 days. But at this point the figure is a few years old and we just can't replace older figuresd like this.

SO: if you have a broken Goddess figure and want to send it back, we will be happy to refund you your original money. Please just include your orignal order number and if you have the reciept. We can't replace her but happy to refund her.
    Last edited by Toyguru; January 26, 2012 at 07:33pm.

Thank you for addressing this TG. Saying this goes miles for myself. I love the Classics line, and look forward to the continued improvements and awesome figures!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    The updates on the QC is nice, but there needs to be meaningful action on the DR issues. What is being done? What is the plan of action and the way forward?

Any updates on the conversations Mattel is having on the Star Sisters?

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Yuck View Post
    The updates on the QC is nice, but there needs to be meaningful action on the DR issues. What is being done? What is the plan of action and the way forward?
    Working on this too. We actually have a new plan in place but are waiting to work out all the bugs before announcing it. But ideally CS issues will be a thing of the past VERY quickly. Please be patient just a little longer. I promise this is the top priority. I know MOTUC is one of the most important things to our customers. The problem is for Mattel, it is just such a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny line. Gettign more resourses to improve CS has been like trying to move mountains, but I am working on it day and night. It is like wanting to fix one brick in an entire skyscrapper. It may be a bad brick, but it doesn't make the skyscrapper fall over.

It doesn't mean it is not important to me or the Matty team, we just have such extememly limited resources due how very tiny the MOTUC line is in the scope of all of Mattel. We are trying. Please stand by a little longer. I think we are almost there!

Heroic Warrior
    So basically we are getting a review of all the screw ups from the past... How about an explanation as to why peoples subs are being canceled for no legitimate reason? I know it's not a QC issue but it is an issue non the less.

So from time to time there will be QC issues... Kinda like from time to time there will be delays. How about every single month there will be QC issues/delays/screw ups... Tell it like it is. There really is no point in making any statements because in all truthfulness, There will be no improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Unfortunately, this is a sticky one as we can't hold onto replacement stock indefinately. We only hold onto CS for about 30 days so if a figure breaks down the road it is just not something we can adjust. Yeah, I know. Not ideal by a longshot. But hey, it is one figure in the entire line that this happened to and the issue has not repeated itself. That doesn't make it better, but with the very limited resources we have it is the best we can do.

We actually had someone contact CS recently to replace a 2002 retail Man-At-Arms figure that someone broke. Maty.com doesn't even have this in stock nor have we ever. Heck, this figure was made years before I even started at Mattel. CS also told me two months ago someone wanted to return a See N Say from 1976 that just stoped worked. Bottom line is toys don't last forever - BUT with Goddess this was a legit Mattel production error.

Yes, Goddess had a defect. And we did replace Goddess for much longer then 30 days. But at this point the figure is a few years old and we just can't replace older figuresd like this.

SO: if you have a broken Goddess figure and want to send it back, we will be happy to refund you your original money. Please just include your orignal order number and if you have the reciept. We can't replace her but happy to refund her.
    Scott - any chance of another run of the Goddess? Maybe a quarterly variant with a different deco on the dress or the facial tattoos that a lot customizers have added in?

On kind of the subject of the DR issues.

Have you guys gotten much feedback on how Newgistics ships things? Being on the east coast is terrible because apparently the figures are taken to a distribution center in Fishers IN, held for a few days then transfered to USPS, which makes it almost 2 weeks before a USPS shipment gets to me in PA. Is it a cost cutting maneuver to do this? It just really sucks waiting so long when normally something shipping USPS never takes that long ... but all those extra steps along the Newgistics ride just add time and frustration.

To add insult to injury ... my Demo-Man shipped two days after Star-Sisters. Same shipping method and Demo-Man arrived today, Star Sisters arrived at my local USPS office this afternoon so I will get them tommorow. Seems there is something wrong with that.

I thank you in advance. Still loving the line and the new packaged figs look amazing!!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Scott,

If Roboto parts are used on Snake MAA, will they be assembled correctly even though the shoulders have the wrong letters enscribed on them (L is R and R is L)?
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post

Have you guys gotten much feedback on how Newgistics ships things? Being on the east coast is terrible because apparently the figures are taken to a distribution center in Fishers IN, held for a few days then transfered to USPS, which makes it almost 2 weeks before a USPS shipment gets to me in PA. Is it a cost cutting maneuver to do this? It just really sucks waiting so long when normally something shipping USPS never takes that long ... but all those extra steps along the Newgistics ride just add time and frustration.

To add insult to injury ... my Demo-Man shipped two days after Star-Sisters. Same shipping method and Demo-Man arrived today, Star Sisters arrived at my local USPS office this afternoon so I will get them tommorow. Seems there is something wrong with that.

Yea I switched this year's sub from UPS to newgistics... man they suck in the quickness dept. You are right it takes 2 WEEKS to ship to NJ.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

such a tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny line
    ... sounds like it's getting tinier by the day ... almost microscopical even

for the rest: nihil novi sub sole
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Thanks, Scott. Your communication is always appreciated. Thanks for everything you do for MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post

I totally agree with this statement and would like to voice my concern with it as well. There really needs to be a way to change your shipping method for your subscription. When I originally subscribed, I submitted the form without realizing they changed the default method of shipping to USPS, from UPS. I tried for weeks to get them to either cancel it and let me resubscribe, or simply change my method of shipping, but nobody from DR could/would help me. Newgistics is by far the worst shipping source I have ever experienced... it literally takes ages for things to go from west coast to east.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    thanks for the update scott! Keep these babies coming!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mekaneckpain View Post
    So basically we are getting a review of all the screw ups from the past... How about an explanation as to why peoples subs are being canceled for no legitimate reason? I know it's not a QC issue but it is an issue non the less.

So from time to time there will be QC issues... Kinda like from time to time there will be delays. How about every single month there will be QC issues/delays/screw ups... Tell it like it is. There really is no point in making any statements because in all truthfulness, There will be no improvements.
    One thing at at time dude, damn

I am assuming a DR update is coming soon as he makes specific mention of it here, reiterating what I have been trying to say for a week now (that DR is not viewed as a liability to Mattel so "fixing" them is not as black and white as everyone wants it to be).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

From figures turning white only after a year or two to cheaper smaller white mailers and cheaper cardbacks that both cause damage more(despite price raises in shipping costs and prices per figure), it sure seems like the quality control is still changing for the worse. They definitely don't seem to care about the MOC collector fanbase much anymore.

Time to step on my soap box!

Sorry Scott, but the issues you mention in this were address already! You even again blame the reviewer for not catching the issues with Roboto and King Hsss! Besides that the reviewers didn't get their samples til the week of release! So you comments there are wrong and insulting to those you send samples to! And regardless of what you say about The Green Goddess, How is it if the same technique to weld is used on all other figures. Yet The Goddess is the one who as you put it...

Despite constant rumors, this issue had nothing to do with “cheap plastic” or even the use of translucent plastic. A small percentage of Green Goddess figures did have issues with the lower torso cracking. This was the same issue we had with retail DCUC Wave 3 and Wave 4 produced at around the same time. The sonic welder used to fuse the joints together was causing microscopic tears in the plastic which would later lead to breakage. We quickly tried to inform customers that this was a joint issue and not a plastic issue (although for some reason many didn't believe us and customers continue to rail about cheap plastic which I assure you is not the case as noted above) What is key, is as you may have noticed, this issue has not come up in ANY other figure since then. Fans and customers like to use this as a bell cow for QC issues, but it only happened to one figure and we quickly resolved the issue by recalibrating the sonic welder. So it hasn't and won't happen again. ISSUE RESOLVED!
    The issue was not resolved! Even replacements had this issue and it was not just to the lower torso area! It also included the chest pieces too! Sorry, but The Goddess figures should have been recalled and went back into production to fix the issue! Again like a good company, Mattel should have eaten the cost to fix the issues on this figure! And also might I add that many were still not able to get a replacement from Digital River when you said they could cause they were telling people that the figure was either not available or it was too long a period to get a replacement!

I understand issues can come up, Quality Control issues or otherwise! But until Mattel takes control of the issues we have been complaining, with the most being Digital River. AND FIX IT! You wouldn't need to say "Sorry" if you would just get Digital River to do what they're supposed to do! Seriously, listen to your customers! DR is horrible! They can not do the job that you have placed them to do! You do have other options available to you! Don't say you don't cause when you have other online stores selling Mattel Products. Those are your options right there!

Stepping off my soap box!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Thanks for your answer Scott. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I do take issue with your analogy though. DR is not just a "bad brick" in the skyscraper. I think it way understates the issues at hand here. The failure of DR to provide the service you require them to is already having an impact on the sales of your product. When you look at the sticky thread here regarding all of the issues people are having, when you look at just this year alone with issues regarding failures to update credit card numbers, addresses, and the sub cancellations that result, when you consider the staff they allow to interface with your clients who have no idea what the product is or how the program works, this vendor is posing a very real threat to the health of the line.

I don't doubt that there is frustration that extends beyond the collector community and to your side of the situation. That said, I think we can all agree it's long past time for a real resolution to these issues. Just because the customers who purchase the MOTUC maybe part of a smaller niche line, that does not make it acceptable that they should be on the encountering these types of issues repeatedly. Simply put, your customers deserve good service, whether or not they are buying a Barbie Doll or a MOTUC figure.

I sincerely hope what you are promising comes to pass. Many customers, including myself, are losing hope that we will ever see these issues laid to rest. The collector community is watching closely, and I would imagine will vote with their dollar if these issues go unresolved.
    Last edited by Mr_Yuck; January 26, 2012 at 08:17pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    One thing at at time dude, damn

I am assuming a DR update is coming soon as he makes specific mention of it here, reiterating what I have been trying to say for a week now (that DR is not viewed as a liability to Mattel so "fixing" them is not as black and white as everyone wants it to be).
    I'm just saying that no matter what is said, no matter what explanations we get, it's all just words. I know that I am extremely pessimistic but I just don't buy the BS... What's next? should we expect some subs to get canceled from time to time, these things happen. yata yata yata... You will see what I mean come February when there's even more screw ups. Then in March... April? It may take time to fix things really means they will never get fixed. That's just the way I see it.

Thank you Scott for taking the time to interact with us. You definitely give us WAY more information than we are entitled to and for that, I appreciate it. So much so, that I think I may subscribe in the summer for the first time...

We do have a return policy where any product may be exchanged free of charge (for 30 days) for a correct product. But you do need to return the defective toy to get a new one. So in a sense, this issue is resolved.
    But where does that leave fans outside the USA? Sometimes our Matty items take 30 days to arrive! Also do folks outside the USA (I'm in the UK) have to ship defective items back as well? Just wondering because in some cases airmail can cost as much as the items value! I got my Swiftwind replaced, but didn't have to send the wrongly assembled toy back...
    10 figures I'd like: 10/Filmation Tung Lashor, 9/Saurod, 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 6/Peekablue, 5/Hunga the Harpy, 4/Sssqueeze, 3/Filmation Clawful, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

This is amazing!!
    I can't even imagine the kind of stuff people at CS have to deal with!

By the way Scott, I have a Beam-blaster and artilleray that is not working, can you guys fix it?
    My Feedback

The fortress of mystery and power!