View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Horde Trooper figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 1.49%
  • 2 points

1 1.49%
  • 3 points

1 1.49%
  • 4 points

2 2.99%
  • 5 points

4 5.97%
  • 6 points

5 7.46%
  • 7 points

6 8.96%
  • 8 points

12 17.91%
  • 9 points

10 14.93%
  • 10 points

25 37.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horde Trooper vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Horde Trooper vintage figure review thread

A bumper crop of posts on last week's thread about Rio Blast. Surprising to see how generally popular the figure was.

Anyway, this week's thread is on one of the least common figures, the HORDE TROOPER.

I didn't have a Horde Trooper during my original time collecting. It was released by the time my Mum had rather forced me off of collecting action figures (before I was old enough to stand up for myself and collected them anyway, and then some! ). I can't even remember if I saw the figure in the shops or not (if I did, it was certainly one of the less common ones to be stocked). Only in the last couple of years have I acquired several (two in mint complete condition, and one in fair but played with condition).

It is an interesting figure. Its feature is that you trigger the button (part of his Horde emblem) on his chest, and its whole upper torso "explodes" apart.
    It's actually rather impressive, demolishing the whole upper section. A couple of simple clicks, and the figure is back together ready for another attack.

The box blurb suggested buying numerous Troopers to build up an army. A lovely idea, but most kids don't have such money to throw away (or such generous parents), and I personally, if I had had a Horde Trooper, would probably have been tempted away by new releases rather than to buy duplicate figures.

The Horde Trooper resembles the Horde Troopers seen in just about every episode of Filmation's 'She-Ra: Princess of Power' cartoon series almost perfectly. It is one of the several cases (others being Orko, King Randor, the Sorceress) where the Filmation shows actually inspired the toy-line, other than the reverse which was the norm.

In terms of Filmation appearances, it was often shown that people were inside the Troopers, whereas other times it was suggested that they were robotic. The figure version would suggest that they are indeed robots.

On the second-hand market, Horde Trooper figures amongst the harder to find, especially in good condition; Especially finding all of the 'exploding' parts in good and working condition, and the Trooper's staff is particularly elusive, and as a result, a mint Troopers are in the higher price bracket second-hand-wise.

All-in-all... hmm, a toughie. It's nothing more than an expendable henchman, so doesn't really have much character to it at all. But as a toy, with a simple but impressive function, it does well.
    I'm going to give Horde Trooper a reasonable 8 out of 10.

Well, there are my ramblings.
    I'd like to hear your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories... anything Horde Trooper related.
    And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 16, 2007 at 04:28pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I loved the way this figure looked and I actually liked the laser baton design WAY better than the ones they had on the cartoon, but, yeah, buying more than one was just not going to happen.

Also, the fact that mine wouldn't stay closed unless you moved it around with extreme care was ANNOYING!!!

He was more decoration for the Fright Zone than anything else... and something that He-Man or She-Ra immediately destroyed LOL

4 out of 10
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Finally, I was beginning to think that nobody had any thoughts on this figure!!
    Maybe it's because the Horde Trooper is one of the rarer figures, so people haven't had as much "hands on" experience with him.

Anyway... yeah, the latches to make it stay closed were a little tempremental, especially after a lot of play use. Trooper was more the sort of figure to stand guard and just be called into action when you wanted to set his special feature off; there were better, more "solid" figures for general play with.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I don't rate this figure high. I loved the chracter as a kid and was very excited that this character was made but, his eyes could not be seen completly over his chest armor without taking great care in posing him, his action feature was unsable at best and he was very akward to really do anything with. I love the Horde Trooper...his figure needs work. 6 out of 10. I though he really only deserved a 5, but I made it 6 just because of the cool factor of Mattel actually making him.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

I liked this figure, but not because I played with him that often, I mean he did not have much of a personality, but I liked the sculpt a lot. Also, it was an actual 'troop builder' for MOTU.

If they had brought out palace guards and maybe Skeletors Robot Knights, then maybe he would have gotten a higher rating.

(Am I the only one who wished that movie Skeletors soldiers had been made into action figures? )

6/10
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    If they had brought out palace guards and maybe Skeletors Robot Knights, then maybe he would have gotten a higher rating.

(Am I the only one who wished that movie Skeletors soldiers had been made into action figures? )
    I meant to mention that in my review, it would have been good if they had released toy versions of Skeletor's "robot knights" (as he sometimes called them). They could have had various cool action features, such as many Ram Man-style popping up, and even a rip-cord version that would spin around (I'd much prefer it over Rotar and Twistoid!)

I'd also like to have seen figures of Skeletor's Skelcon helpers featured in some of the U.K. Ladybird books (most notably in the excellent 'Castle Grayskull Under Attak!'); I'm surprised that these aren't common customs.
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 17, 2007 at 06:38pm.
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I'd also like to have seen figures of Skeletor's Skelcon helpers featured in some of the U.K. Ladybird books; I'm surprised that these aren't common customs.

Man, those were awesome! Like the guys in the Wyvern book? (I think that was the one)

Ever see the film Erik The Viking? They come across a whole boat of dudes who looked just like that...except they were absolutely useless fighters. Apparently, most people are just scared of them so they never have to fight.

Regardless, they look cool.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    Man, those were awesome! Like the guys in the Wyvern book? (I think that was the one)

Ever see the film Erik The Viking? They come across a whole boat of dudes who looked just like that...except they were absolutely useless fighters. Apparently, most people are just scared of them so they never have to fight.

Regardless, they look cool.
    Yes, that book is 'Wings Of Doom', I'd say it was great, but then just about *all* of the Ladybird books were great (well, the last couple were a bit shakey, but still not bad...)

I haven't seen 'Erik The Viking' for years, I must try and watch that again sometime.
    ~jay firestorm~

I never had one as a kid, because the year it came out was the year of the house fire and I didn't get that last line. I didn't get one until a year or two ago. I'm a poor fellow and can't drop a ton of monsy, so I don't have armies like alot of people on here. Horde Trooper armies on here seem to be a test of Machismo around here, when the "How many do you own" threads come up. I have just one, with only a replica of his weapon. He's nice for show. Looks neat. But the action feature... yeah, he "explodes" with just a bit of movement, so he stays in a case on the wall. Great to pose behind the Horde generals in a display, certainly exciting to get one, play value is kinda meh though. I give him a 7.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    I never had one as a kid, because the year it came out was the year of the house fire and I didn't get that last line. I didn't get one until a year or two ago. I'm a poor fellow and can't drop a ton of monsy, so I don't have armies like alot of people on here. Horde Trooper armies on here seem to be a test of Machismo around here, when the "How many do you own" threads come up. I have just one, with only a replica of his weapon. He's nice for show. Looks neat. But the action feature... yeah, he "explodes" with just a bit of movement, so he stays in a case on the wall. Great to pose behind the Horde generals in a display, certainly exciting to get one, play value is kinda meh though. I give him a 7.
    Well I own *two* and a *third so-so* one, and I'm *very* macho - I only wear dresses at the weekend!
    ~jay firestorm~

I like the trooper sculptwise. Think he's the only figure with straight legs. It was a fig I always wanted to have as a kid but never did. Got him three years ago without his weapon.

The huge amounts of troopers in one collection always brings a feeling of: It's not fair. But I understand it's looks great in any collection.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    I like the trooper sculptwise. Think he's the only figure with straight legs. It was a fig I always wanted to have as a kid but never did. Got him three years ago without his weapon.
    He is pretty much (except for Ram Man, if that counts), although one of his feet is at a slightly strange angle, like he's stubbing out a cigarette.
    ~jay firestorm~

one of the coolest figures ever made for the line. i dont know why I like him but I do. I have 4 of them now. I think that they are very cheesy with that blow up action. but i really like him.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I always loved the troopers design, I didn't have one back in the days but my best friend did so I had great times playing with this figure.
    I was able to adquire one in recent years in great conditions (it is actually hard to make the action figure work because the thing that keeps it from opening is very adjusted) but sadly found it without the staff, didn't know they were rare so I was lucky to find it in this black hole I live at.
    It is a great figure, only because of being a generic character I'll give it a 9.

I wanted to say these reviews are great fun, Spacedust, thanks for making them!
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

10, I loved this figure enough that my mom bought 4 for me at once. I also remember him being pretty had to find in stores. I just wish I could go back and buy more for my army.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I wish that he had bent legs like everyone else. The straight legs bothered me even as a kid.

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    Yesterday I got the complete Horde Trooper armor set to complete my incomplete action figure from my childhood. Now I have it stand proudly in my wood furniture along with Ninjor and the rest of the MOTU action figures I have.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I loved the way this figure looked and I actually liked the laser baton design WAY better than the ones they had on the cartoon, but, yeah, buying more than one was just not going to happen.

Also, the fact that mine wouldn't stay closed unless you moved it around with extreme care was ANNOYING!!!

He was more decoration for the Fright Zone than anything else... and something that He-Man or She-Ra immediately destroyed LOL

4 out of 10
    I agree, the first Trooper i obtained was hard to display. Still a cool figure though.

i want a horde trooper gotta check my grandfathers house, i remember it so well, but if i'm not mistaken it was trashed along all others and even castle grayskull

I gave the figure a 7, following the general comments written above. It's hard for me to judge more efficiently, since I never owned any...

Widget
    I gave this figure an 8. I love the look. To me, the Horde Troopers are some of the coolest looking henchmen ever- up there with the Stormtroopers from 'Star Wars'.

He has a totally unique mold, which is great but, as stated by others, his torso has trouble holding together. That is really the only reason I took points off of this one.

Awesome figure!! My favourite AF with Hordak Hurricane! The design is simply superbe!!

One of the coolest figure of the entire line.
    Still today it's amazing for the design.
    When I was child I bought at least 10 HT to recreate my personal army.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Mixed feelings on this one. I liked the figure, but hated his action feature, as he was hard to display without looking kind of limp/defeated.

I also think that they should have released the figure in different colors. A Black Trooper, Red Trooper, Blue Trooper, Camo Trooper... Many ways they could have done this. I would have certainly bought them all.

Horde Trooper was a very good sculpt and great figure but I hated his gimmick that made sure his armour never stayed closed unless you put a bit of tape on the shoulder . His weapon was very unique
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold