Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just what are Zodac's powers and abilities in MOTUC?

Just what are Zodac's powers and abilities in MOTUC?

I just picked up the Toys R Us 2-Pack with Zodac & I LOVE this figure. When I got home & pulled him out of the package, I wondered, what are his powers/abilities?

I barely remember him in Filmation, & in the 2002 MYP 'toon, Zodak is a totally different character.
    BUT... as Zodac was mentor to Zodak, who "studied the teachings & mystic fighting techniques of the Cosmic Enforcers," does Zodac have all the same moves as Zodak? Is he more powerful than Zodak?

Zodac has his blaster & I'm sure he's a qualified expert with it, but can he levitate like Zodak in the MYP 'toon? Does he work magic?

Since nothing, as far as I know, has been released stating what his powers/abilities are, I guess we can only speculate.

For me, I see Zodac as having abilities that can nullify a large amount of force being directed toward him, levitation, magic reversal & the ability to see an opponents weakness. I also see him as being an expert hand-to-hand combatant & expert with his blaster. I see him as being a more skilled warrior than Zodak due to his greater experience.

What do you all think about Zodac's powers & abilities?
    I want my other half.

Heroic Warrior
    His primary power is his knowledge of the cosmos. He is an omnipotent, otherworldly being. You have a question? Zodac knows the answer.

Heroic Warrior
    Zodac has also been shown to have a mastery of telepathy and several barrier abilities both dispelling and creating as well as being able to transition from physical to meta-physical form for combat. I don't know if you'd consider it a power or not but he also had his throne that I believe allowed him to path through both space and time.

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Honestly, Filmation Zodac was a forgettable character because he did very little of anything besides keep his chair warm.

On the other hand, MYP ZodaK fought He-Man and destroyed several Snake Men AND King Hsss. He reminded me of a lot of Justice League's John Stewart. For the most part, I go along with them having the same powers but Zodac's weapon of choice is a gun as opposed to a staff so in my canon ZodaK is superior in close quarters combat.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

The mystery surrounding Zodac is heavily exacerbated by his use in the DC Comics, which features him acting as a neutral character who seemingly oversees the whole conflict and serves to maintain balance between the two sides of good and evil, ensuring when he can, that both sides get their way, and helping either side when they need it. As a watcher of the universe, he naturally knows that Prince Adam is He-Man
    It is often believed that this "neutral" role was Mattel's original concept behind Zodac, and the labelling of him as 'Evil' was done purely to even out the evil figures against the heroic, or that he was classed as an Evil Warrior simply because the 'Heroic' and 'Evil' groupings on the boxes did not have a 'Neutral' category, but Mattel has never confirmed this. Later on in the toy line's run, Zodac figures were packaged purely as 'Cosmic Enforcer', the 'Evil' tag dropped to avoid the confusion.

Also to note is the exact spelling - in the later Masters of the Universe Classics line, Zodac and Zodak would become two different characters, in the original line, both spelling was used for the same character. The front of box spelled the name 'Zodac', while back of box and mini-comics listings for the figure typically spelled it 'Zodak'

Filmation era

In He-Man and the Masters of the Universe by Filmation, Zodac appears in three episodes of the show's first season: "Quest for He-Man", "The Search" and "Golden Disks of Knowledge". The show's portrayal of the character is generally in keeping with that of the DC Comics, although it is clear in the cartoon that he leans more towards the side of good and serves essentially to help maintain peace within the universe. As the cartoon never shows him acting on the side of evil, and he never shares any scenes with Skeletor, many viewers of the show perceive him as one of the good guys, even though this is not entirely true. It is his portrayal on the cartoon that heightened the confusion over the character, as viewers of the show who saw him as a good guy were perplexed when they went out to buy his figure.

In the cartoon he is presented as an all-powerful character who sees and understands all. The most important of his three episodes is "The Search", in which he sends He-Man out on a quest to prevent Skeletor from reaching the Star Seed, a powerful object that will give him control over the whole universe. A twist ending reveals that Zodac set up the whole affair, telling Skeletor of the Star Seed and sending He-Man to defend it, in a test of He-Man's ability to resist the temptation of using the Star Seed's power for himself.

The episode "Golden Disks of Knowledge", meanwhile, reveals that Zodac is the last remaining member of the Council of the Wise, often referred to as "The Council of Elders", a universal council of knowledge and wisdom keepers. It is revealed that Skeletor achieved most of his power after he stole the Golden Disks from the Council of the Wise after corrupting another of its members, Zanthor, into selling them to him. The end of the episode features the reformed Zanthor donning a uniform like Zodac's and leaving for the stars together with him to watch over the universe.

The series bible delves more into the history of Zodac, telling us that not only was Zodac a member of the Council of Elders, he was also the leader, and the only member to retain his human form after the Council became the spirit of Grayskull. He then vowed to sail the universe, keeping watch over Eternia but not interfering in the natural course of events.

In the 1980s cartoon, Zodac hosted the closing moral/PSA segment for two of the episodes he appears in: "Quest for He-Man" and "The Search". Being a duty widely considered suitable only for the "good" characters, this reinforces the notion of Zodac's default alignment being benevolent

2002 series

When Zodak featured in the 2002 relaunch of the Masters of the Universe franchise, it was inevitable that complexities would arise in updating him for a modern audience. Indeed, toy sculptors the Four Horsemen originally planned a radical change for the character by making him a strange alien creature rather than a human, in an apparent effort to enhance the view of him as a universal watcher. However, when Mattel demanded racial diversity in the toy line, the Four Horsemen looked to change skin colours and, after firstly considering Stratos but deciding that Stratos' overall design did not go well with the racial change, Zodak was chosen. Just as in the original line, the Zodak figure appears as a brown or bronze-skinned character and slightly darker than the action figure; for the new toyline, tribal markings were added to his arms and forehead.

As Ian Richter of Mattel worked on developments for the cartoon's storyline with Mike Young Productions, it was decided to link Zodak to the planned story line for season 2, dealing with the resurrection of the Snake Men. Although Zodak had no connection with the Snake Men in the old continuity, in the new series his whole role in the show revolves around them.

Zodak appears in the contemporary series as an all-powerful and immortal warrior from Ancient times, presumably the most powerful warrior on Eternia in the present time. Having aided the Elders in the defeat of the Snake Men centuries ago, Zodak is called upon in the episode "Snake Pit" to help prevent the Snake Men from being released from their ancient prison. It is revealed in this episode that Zodak harbors a centuries-old grudge against the Snake Men after King Hiss ate his brother, Zeelahr. Presumably it was his brother's murder that convinced Zodak to give up his mortality.

Zodak resides in a small wooden temple in the Mystic Mountains, where he spends most of his time in deep meditation. He refuses to let his grudge against the Snake Men die and will do everything he can until King Hiss has perished. Although this inevitably involves him aiding He-Man and the Masters from time to time, he has pledged no alliance and refuses to officially side with anyone in the battle, abiding purely by his own sense of right and wrong with little consideration for others. In season 2 it is Zodak who allows the Snake Men to be freed, placing Eternia in danger, for the sake of achieving his own revenge, which leads to a conflict between him and He-Man in the "Rise of the Snake Men" 2-parter. Zodak returns in the final episode of the series, "Awaken the Serpent", in which he finally defeats King Hiss. The whole series ends with a shot of Zodak flying off into the sky in his chair, as He-Man thanks him for winning the conflict against the Snake Men.

The 2009 Zodak action figure establishes that his real name is Kar-Tor, and that he is the apprentice of the original Zodac.

A better question would be what happened to Zodak's brother in the toy line/bios?

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Zodak appears in the contemporary series as an all-powerful and immortal warrior from Ancient times, presumably the most powerful warrior on Eternia in the present time. Having aided the Elders in the defeat of the Snake Men centuries ago, Zodak is called upon in the episode "Snake Pit" to help prevent the Snake Men from being released from their ancient prison. It is revealed in this episode that Zodak harbors a centuries-old grudge against the Snake Men after King Hiss ate his brother, Zeelahr. Presumably it was his brother's murder that convinced Zodak to give up his mortality.
    Nice entry from Wikipedia , but I think whoever wrote this article was mistaken on one aspect regarding the issue of the grudge Zodak has against King Hssss and the Snake Men: Zeelahr being devoured by Hssss was not revealed until "Rise of The Snake Men Part 1", not "Snake Pit."

Regards,
    Victor P.

I really wish they'd mention powers in the bios of every character. Who are they and what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam_Warrior View Post
    A better question would be what happened to Zodak's brother in the toy line/bios?
    And an even better question is will Mattel give us Zodak's brother in the future?
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

To me, Zodac's most significant contribution to MOTUC is a secret. He kept the Sorceress alive after it was widely believed across Eternia and the MTOUC collector community that she had perished, meaning Teela could return to the palace.

In all seriousness, I only think of equilibrium when I think of Zodac. As someone who thinks he believes in few absolutes and in gray areas being the strongest contributor to disequlibrium, it's a power that's harder to find than it might seem on first thought, even on earth. Perhaps that's why Zodac chooses to wear gray duckfeets?

Heroic Warrior
    One can make the argument that Zodac is an evil warrior now because in his bio, it states that the struggle over the halves of the Power Sword would bring him back to Eternia. But since Adam/He-Man has both halves and he is on the side of good, wouldn't that put Zodac on the side of evil to balance things out/keep things neutral?

Zodac's powers include:

-unwavering willpower

-near He-Man level strength

-time and dimensional travel

-perfect aim

-telepathy

-sub-atomic vision

-amazing breast stroke

-shoryuken

-perfect omelettes

In short: he's amazing!
    I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Zodac steps in when the Sorceress takes a peek at Secrets she should only guard.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

He has a gun.

Just kidding... my theory is that Zodac is the Chuck Norris of the MOTU mythos.
    :: Odrakir ::

My Feedback Thread

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I honestly never thought about it. I have him displayed with my evil warriors just because that's how the 8back showed him back in the 80's. Also, the whole evil bounty hunter thing. As for powers, yeah, he has a gun.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

my Zodac is granted neigh immortality through being a Cosmic Enforcer. For actual powers beyond not dying naturally, I think he's limited to his cosmic accessories. For instance he can travel through space and maybe dimensions (to an extent), has an energy awareness, call it good and evil ect, on a near galactic scale, and the ability to mentally concieve of such things on such a grand scale. But all of these are predicated on either his gear, or powers granted by the Timeless Dimension overseers.

Since Zodac has been in this position for a very long time, he has become a very different person mentally then he would have been originally, and if suddenly stripped of his powers, I daresay he would be basically unable to cope. Like if you were suddenly struck blind and deaf.

So really on his own though granted great powers, and a master of them, Zodac has his ancient knowledge and is always ahead of the game. However he is always one bad day away from being beaten quite easily. GOod thing he's always so far ahead of everyone else.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    awesome thread. zodac is one of my most favorite motuc character.
    when i first got my motuc zodac i have thought about his abilities & powers a lot.
    hard to say. i see him as a man of peace most of the time. settling disputes & matters of conflict.
    i see him investigation the forces of the cosmos. and even on some occasions during his missions engaged in action.
    fighting large forces. he would use his intellect, magic, special abilities, mastery combat skills, his blaster, his mystic sword of emprium & his insight to an enemy's weaknesses.
    i see the two zodac & zodak as very different. zodak is more action & war like & zodac is more resourceful & peaceful.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    i see the two zodac & zodak as very different. zodak is more action & war like & zodac is more resourceful & peaceful.
    Yeah, and knowing ZodaK is out for revenge against King Hsss makes him a darker and more interesting character than Zodac for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    I really wish they'd mention powers in the bios of every character. Who are they and what they do.
    Like Time Travel and impersonating Deadpool for example?

Ability to communicate with corn and has a really bendy thumb

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    Just what are Zodac's powers and abilities in MOTUC?
    He makes a pretty mean baked Alaska...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I think some ideas for Zodac were borrowed from Kirby’s New Gods Metron. He has the ability to travel time and space.

I imagine Zodac as an evil Dirty Harry. In my canon he is evil and alien, his power so great that he is only partially interested Eternia and helps Skeletor when he is going to do something especially wicked.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    On a side note, I have been looking for a fan creation that I saw many years ago. I saw that someone had posted a really elaborate adaptation of many MOTU characters (original series-POP-MYP) to RPG/Dungeon&Dragons stats w/ detailed descriptions, weapons, artifacts, backstory, etc. etc. along with some pretty decent artwork. This fan/artist was dedicated- there had to be 30+ characters represented.
    I can’t remember if this was on HeMan.ORG or another He-Man site. I can’t find it anymore. I haven’t seen it for 5-6 years. Can anyone help and tell me where this is???

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Zodac steps in when the Sorceress takes a peek at Secrets she should only guard.
    In a Golden Book, Zodac suddenly flies onto the scene (no chair) & teleports He-Man into Castle Greyskull after Skeletor has invaded it & locked He-Man out. This implies Zodac could teleport himself, or anyone, into there.

In the MYP toon, Zodak suddenly appears inside Greyskull to save the Sorceress after someone blasts her during an invasion attempt. (I forget which episode.)

To me, this implies that Zodac is a sort of "back-up" to the Sorceress. He appears to be the last remaining Ancient.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; February 1, 2012 at 03:12pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

It's tricky thing to handle Zodac's powers. If his purpose is to balance good and evil, then he'd be too powerful to use often in stories since he sounds like a god who interferes when one side has gotten too powerful. If they do go this route in a new comic or cartoon, he'd be best used like Marvel's Watcher, who oversees and doesn't really interfere.

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    I wish the Classic Zodac would have came with the cosmic staff along with the ray gun. He would be a lot cooler if he did...
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.