Thread: Writers' thread

Master of New Adventures!

Writers' thread

Because there are so many creative orgers, I thought it might be fun for those on the board who write to have a place to talk about it -- to share their feelings, aspirations, hopes, dreams, questions about writing and maybe what they're working on.

So, if you're a writer, have at it.

Heroic Warrior
    since you have done your fair share of writing and the starter of this thread............

Why don't you give out some tips. Do's and don'ts.

Where do I begin? Novel, screenplays, television?

The best advice for writers is to write. Seems simplistic, but it's true. One needs to write about a half a million words of unpublishable work to get to the point of being a professional. It's a brutal business, but one that I love dearly and -- along with producing and directing -- it's the only job I've had for thirty-five years.

For all writing, my personal advice is -- before you write word one of your novel or screenplay -- know your beginning, end and three high points along the way. The high points will give you 'North Stars' to steer by. You can go off on tangents and explore interesting byways, but those North Stars will pull you back on course and keep you on it.

By way of background, here's my website. Legendary University of Alabama Crimson Tide Coach Bear Bryant once said, "It ain't bragging' if it's true."

http://jackolesker.com

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    since you have done your fair share of writing and the starter of this thread............

Why don't you give out some tips. Do's and don'ts.

Yeah, I bow to you, Olesker, for your fantastic and varied career!

Oh yeah, and uh... http://www.lucydecember.com - still seeking publication, but there are a few short stories on there.

My signature has my two writer sites, a blog and my Facebook page. Mostly I just use them as a venting outlet to complain about not getting published
    Master of the Universe is definitely one of my biggest inspirations in writing, along one of its biggest, Conan. Sword and Sorcery are my big things right now, but I love science fiction and occasionally dabble in horror. I can find inspiration in so many little things, like a throw-away object sculpted to an action figure to make them more "full" (like a pouch on a belt or a scar with no backstory), or an archway to the front door of a house (there's one a few block from my parents' house that I wrote a story about).
    Writing is fun, but it's also exhausting. Still, I feel like it's worth it when all is said and done, because I created something, and I can be proud of that. I don't have kids and probably never will, so the millions of words I put on paper every year are my babies, and no matter how rotten they are, I love them all

Oh, and one piece of advice I have to all writers, artists, musicians, etc: never, ever rely on someone else to do anything for you. Help is always appreciated, but only you can make it happen.
    Follow my exploits in writing!
    writermyke.wordpress.com
    facebook.com/writermyke

I used to call myself an aspiring writer, but honestly: I haven't written word one in a looooong time. Technically. Haven't written words down, anyway. All the old (and new) stories are still circulating in my head and changing, evolving, what have you. I had talked, recently, to a guy in the business of writing for comics. In that, he writes his own stories and hires artists to work with. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before, but it really bridges the gap between my love for making stories and my total inability to draw, but strong desire to illustrate the stories. He encouraged me to follow up on the desire, and I might.

Really, I've just got to start writing again, before doing anything else or even getting serious. The words have to come out again. Just not the same, thinking everything out. I miss how they fell out on the page. Somewhere along the way I psyched myself out and spent more time worry about writing than actually writing. Guess that's where I am now. Thankfully a friend of mine found his footing before me, and his energy is nice and refreshing. I've been his test reader, and it's always fun either helping or bouncing ideas back and forth. I just need to get back to my own ideas and do the same.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I'm another of our aspiring writers. I have plenty of manuscripts for various projects in various states of incompletion and I do wish I would make more time for writing. I know that I could be doing more but I fall back on the excuses of obligations to my wife, my daughter, my friends, work, and being a full-time student at Sam Houston State University (as an English major!) (with a 4.0! ). I really need to get back at it. (Who really needs sleep?)

I do have a poem getting published in one of the university's lit journals this semester and I have a short story that one of my professors told me could be published as-is.

One problem I have is that many of my ideas get so huge. What started as a dirty limerick transformed over the course of a few years into a massive epic. Lately, I've been working on zeroing in on core ideas and crafting shorter, more simple stories. I've grown to love the editing process.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Your observations are spot on. Writing is definitely exhausting. I once spoke to a first grade class and a five-year old asked me if writing was "hard work". I thought about it for a moment, then said, "Well, I write for at least eight hours six days a week; often ten hours and sometimes more. At the end of the day I can be dripping in perspiration from the effort, but I haven't used any muscles." I flexed my bicep, pointed to it and said, "So it isn't hard work like this." Then I pointed to my temple and added, "But it's hard work like this." The little girl nodded and said, "I get it." I locked eyes with her for a moment, then I told her, "I'll bet you do." Afterwards I learned from the teacher that this little girl -- Rachel -- wanted to be a writer. I got in touch with her parents and I've been mentoring her for years. She has much talent and a relentless intrepidity. She's going to hit the bestseller lists some day.

So it's for sure that writing is hard work., But I also agree with the playwright Noel Coward who once correctly said, "Work is much more fun than fun." Not everyone gets that, but writers surely do.

I agree with you as well about help from others. It can be useful at times, but I've found the overwhelming majority of work has to be done by the writer themselves. In over three decades in the television, motion picture and publishing industries I've had four agents. None made a single sale for me. Of the more than 1,200 episodes of television and twenty movies I've written and the seven novels I've published, I have represented every one of them myself.

Agents? Don't get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by MykEdwards View Post
    My signature has my two writer sites, a blog and my Facebook page. Mostly I just use them as a venting outlet to complain about not getting published
    Master of the Universe is definitely one of my biggest inspirations in writing, along one of its biggest, Conan. Sword and Sorcery are my big things right now, but I love science fiction and occasionally dabble in horror. I can find inspiration in so many little things, like a throw-away object sculpted to an action figure to make them more "full" (like a pouch on a belt or a scar with no backstory), or an archway to the front door of a house (there's one a few block from my parents' house that I wrote a story about).
    Writing is fun, but it's also exhausting. Still, I feel like it's worth it when all is said and done, because I created something, and I can be proud of that. I don't have kids and probably never will, so the millions of words I put on paper every year are my babies, and no matter how rotten they are, I love them all

Oh, and one piece of advice I have to all writers, artists, musicians, etc: never, ever rely on someone else to do anything for you. Help is always appreciated, but only you can make it happen.

I've actually written for years.... then stopped. Sort of. I wrote lyrics/poetry for years. From High School on. I had a couple of small successes. At one point I had found
    a community of writers in an online writing for therapy program. One of the successes was having one of my works published in a compilation. It wasn't a paid gig, but it was pretty cool to make the cut.
    There were a lot of gifted people on there. One of whom I befriended. They became my closest friend for 15 years. Then, one day, out of the blue things soured with no warning.
    I fell back into a really deep depression in the midst of it. I said some things I regretted, and still do. I'm not mentioning names or dragging them through the mud. I actually wish them the best. Let's just say it ended badly.
    One of the reasons I started writing was to get things out on paper. Oddly enough, in my low points. Of which I had many.

There's an old adage, and I forget who said it. But it goes something like "We write because we feel alone. We listen/read/watch to know we aren't alone." Which for me was absolutely true.
    It probably also explains why I don't have traditional inspirations. A lot of writers will cite classic poets, and novelists like Yeats, or Hemmingway, or Anne Sexton, or whomever. My inspirations
    come from a lot of Rock n' Roll. Frank Portman, Paul Westerberg, Billie Joe Armstrong, Jesse Michaels, Doug Hopkins, Bob Mould, are but a handful of them. A lot of stuff they, and others put out
    have narrations that I have identified a lot with. Not everything mind you. But their work got me through a lot of stuff. And I found that I was writing about similar internal emotional struggles, external
    annoyances, love, betrayal, and life.

But when this happened, I couldn't write anymore. Trying to write again, had turned into a scab picking. My job at the time had a partnership with some professionals, unbeknownst to me.
    But my boss could see I couldn't function, and set me up with their contact info. So I went to them as long as I could, and I did get back to a state where I could work again. I even managed to get enough
    courage to go out after work, and make friends. Four years later I've got a different job, a lot of acquaintances, a few good friends who love gaming as much as I do.
    So I've even started writing again, but they're mainly reviews. I try to get one review up a week. I've been writing reviews for a couple of years now.

I have tried to write poetry again. But occasionally when I do, I'll find myself remembering everything that went down. And while it doesn't cripple me anymore, it can get in the way of
    the creative process. I tend to have a very free form style, I just write as it comes. I figure I can always go back, and edit it after the fact if a line seems too long.
    Or not long enough. Or if the content is just not very good, either trying to salvage it or scrapping it. But at least it's out there. A lot of writers try to edit as they write.
    "No that sounds too simple." "No that sounds too cliché." To heck with that! I say just think on paper. You can 86 the crappy parts later.

But when I try to write poetry, if at some point they come up again, those old memories are going to break up the flow of ideas.
    Or worse, make every line of content about the things I've moved beyond. It's like experiencing the death of someone you were very close to.
    Certain things will always remind you of them. Sometimes they're the good moments you had together. But other times it's that schism, and the knowledge that you'll never be able
    to repair it. Not that you want things to go back to how they used to be. You don't. But you wish that each side can feel forgiven, and able to move forward. Able to grow from the experience, and
    hopefully prevent yourselves from making your bad choices again.

The reality is that sort of closure is rare, and you can only analyze even your gravest mistakes so often. Eventually you have to recognize you've tried to make amends for your part in it. You have
    to choose to not only forgive them for what they did, or what you feel they did. But you also have to learn to forgive yourself. It's hard to be more mindful of others when you're dragging
    a self-imposed prison ball around everywhere you go.

Anyway, I hope I didn't derail the thread. Hopefully nobody thinks less of me, even if there have been times when nobody could possibly think less of myself than I have.
    Hopefully my experience or process will help someone else.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    One day I should try to turn my storyboards into a solid piece of writing.

..I feel just as few people would get behind it.

I went to college for Journalism with high aspirations of a Pulitzer and a novel to follow. Graduated Suma *** Laude with a pretty nice portfolio.....As it stands I now work in retail management. Such is life I do hope to someday return to writing.

Court Magician
    More of a pastime was stories in my head, I have one big project I would like to get around to but that's put on hold while I develop craft. I had started two projects but they fell to the wayside for various reasons, not from wanting to write more with the project themselves. I started about this time last year a project a series of short stories, getting the builk of the stories written before I work on from time to time other times. I am on my fourth composition book, so it's going along pretty well. I decided to finish up before I move onto editing and expanding the stories, in other words right now they are rough drafts, and sometimes I checklist the last page for future writing.

I did want to be a writer once and even started a few novels and short stories but I failed to finish them and I have long since lost the desire to be a writer. Actually I stopped wanting to write around the same time I lost the desire to do art, so it has been at least a year now.
    Last edited by wolfsfang; Today at 11:02am.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery