Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New GODZILLA Film Will Be Released On The 16th May 2014!!!

New GODZILLA Film Will Be Released On The 16th May 2014!!!

I searched for a thread about the new Godzilla film, but couldn't find one. So yes, WB has set a release date of 16th May 2014. Apparently the little teaser that was shown at SDCC this past summer was insane (in a good way, of course). It’s being directed by the English director Garth Edwards, who made Monsters. What do you all think? We’ve got a giant robots vs. giant monsters film coming out next year in the form of Pacific Rim, and then a new Godzilla film the next year. What with all the comic-book movies and adaptations of cartoons and what-not and now this, this is clearly the geek’s golden age in cinema, surely?

Here's the article from Deadline Hollywood:

BREAKING: Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures have set their reboot on the Godzilla franchise for May 16, 2014. And it will be in 3D. The move was made by studio domestic distribution president Dan Fellman international distribution president Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, along with Legendary Pictures. The film got a rousing reception at Comic-Con in San Diego over the summer.

The Gareth Edwards-directed film is being made in partnership with rights owner Toho. Godzilla has appeared in more than 25 films, multiple television programs, video games and book series. Legendary, which has been developing the project, and its partner Warner Bros. will return the character to its epic roots with a gritty, realistic actioner. The project will fall under Legendary’s overall agreement with Warner Bros. Warner Bros will release it worldwide except in Japan, where Toho will release it.

Edwards previously directed Monsters, and here will be helming a script by David Callaham (The Expendables films), David S. Goyer (the Dark Knight trilogy) and Max Borenstein (The Seventh Son). Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce, along with Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Brian Rogers. Alex Garcia and Patricia Whitcher will serve as executive producers alongside Doug Davison, Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

Heroic Warrior
    I really hope this one doesn't disapoint.

This is actually a shot from the sneak footage that played at SDCC. As you can see, the design is much truer to Godzilla than that other Hollywood film. This image alone, in all its poor quality, proves that they are at least doing certain things right this time.

godzilla.jpg

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, just like how it was going to be out this year.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I hope this one is good...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I hope this one is good...
    the master of evil hoping something is good...you're diet coke-ing it dude!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    the master of evil hoping something is good...you're diet coke-ing it dude!
    After getting that turd of a U.S. Godzilla movie in the late 90's...yeah, I'm hoping this one is "good", k-man. You better take me to see it, too! Give me a taste of international flair! Canadian hospitality and all that noise!
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; September 14, 2012 at 01:16pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight, just like how it was going to be out this year.
    It was never meant to be out this year, at least not officially. Release dates for the most part are just speculation. The only time you should pay attention to a release date is when the studio announces it. WB has done that now, something that they never did before.

The 1998 version was pretty bad, so my hopes for this one aren't high.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    My wife and I liked the '98 Godzilla.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    Does the name "Godzilla" really lend itself to a 'quality' film?
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

If you've seen the stuff in japan after the 98 one? yes (especially the last one "Final wars" that one is possibly the best ever) as for this new one I will reserve judgement till I see it.

As for the 98 one it was entertaining as a movie but wasn't "Gojira" to me(and in "Final wars" the big guy fights the 98 one!)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsquadron View Post
    Does the name "Godzilla" really lend itself to a 'quality' film?
    Yes, yes it does. Check out the original 1954 Japanese version.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I had heard 2013, but since there's an actual date now that's better.

From what I've heard this'll be more what the 98 film should have been: modern SFX but faithful to Toho design Godzilla plus Monster vs. Monster action. Not sure if it'll be a new enemy or an old classic. I've heard rumors about King Ghidora but we'll see
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    I had heard 2013, but since there's an actual date now that's better.

From what I've heard this'll be more what the 98 film should have been: modern SFX but faithful to Toho design Godzilla plus Monster vs. Monster action. Not sure if it'll be a new enemy or an old classic. I've heard rumors about King Ghidora but we'll see
    There will definitely be another creature in it, as in that footage screened at SDCC another monster was shown on the ground, possibly dead.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    The only thing WRONG with US Godzilla was the name. They should have called it an original title because beyond that it was more than a decent monster film. Then again, so many "based on a franchise" films suffer from this... good movie, but it has nothing to do with the franchise it's based on(often because they bought a script and tweaked it to vaguely match some film rights they purchased). I like the Super Mario movie, but do away with any attempt to base it on the games and it'd be better. Transformers would be- well no... I'd still regard those as unwatchable garbage.

Master of New Adventures!
    Why...why?

Why what?

Godzilla is so freaking AWESOME and yes that also includes the 1998 american version of the King of the Monsters.

I am so looking forward to this more then I can say because

godzilla.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Why...why?
    It’s all about the director to me. Garth Edwards, going by interviews and what-not, seems to have a genuine affection for the character. Plus, his directorial debut, Monsters, was a very good piece of work considering what he had to work with. He's very much an up and coming director. I don't know how old he is, but he looks about twelve. On the flipside, Roland Emmerich, who made the other Hollywood debacle, showed nothing but contempt for Godzilla in interviews before the film was released.

Like the beast itself...towering.

And wolfy, that's my point. The original was so incredible that I just don't see the point of doing a remake. Conan, The Thing, Mildred Pierce -- okay, a lot of you are too young to remember the original of that amazing film -- they all paled in comparison to the originals. It's just my opinion, but I feel there are some films -- GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA, CITIZEN KANE and, yes, GODZILLA -- that are just so spectacular in the original form that it doesn't make sense to do a re-do. I recognize, however, that there are some excellent re-makes -- BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA being a stand-out example in my book. So I do, however, hope I'm proven wrong with regard to GODZILLA. But my thinking is that I'd prefer to see studios spend sixty or a hundred million to shoot original films, with original ideas that will dazzle all of us and become classics in their own right...so I can complain thirty years from now when they make a re-make of those films!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yes, yes it does. Check out the original 1954 Japanese version.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 15, 2012 at 12:08pm.

I think as long as the people making it really love Godzilla and do him the justice that he deserves then it could turn out to be a great film. Will it be better then the original? I dunno, possibly and possibly not (tho Destroy All Monsters is my fave Godzilla movie not the 1954 original) but that doesn't matter to me, all I want is a good Godzilla movie not "the best" (tho that would be nice)

How I wish you were right, wolfy. It would make things so easy for writers, directors and producers like myself if all we had to do in order to do justice to a project was to love it.

"Loving Godzilla" and "doing him justice" are two entirely different things and the former does not necessarily lead to the later. In point of fact, the two can be mutually exclusive, which is something that torments many entertainment industry professionals that love a project yet are, for one reason or another, unable to do justice to it.

Many people not in the entertainment industry look at a film or television series and say "I can do better than that." Really? Go ahead and try. The reality is that just getting a project greenlighted for production is a Herculean effort. Actually producing a film or a television series requires the interwoven efforts of teams of highly skilled executives, artists, actors and technicians possessed of an adamantine determination, working in tandem over ten, twelve and sometimes sixteen hour days for weeks and months on end and somehow not only not getting on each other's nerves and ripping each other to pieces but learning to come together as a breathtaking team. Producing a film or television series -- good or bad -- is an incredible accomplishment. Producing an excellent one is the reason awards are given and why those associated with such a project are highly compensated and highly sought after in the future.

So for GODZILLA to be a great -- or even good -- film takes an enormous amount of work, skill, talent and a dollup of luck. The script, the actors, the director, the production crew, the post-production crew -- all of it has to come together in symmetry for greatness or goodness to happen. There are a thousand reasons why a film will not be good, a thousand pitfalls that can bedevil the process. I wish anyone that embarks on that journey to scale the north face of the Matterhorn good luck. They will surely need it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I think as long as the people making it really love Godzilla and do him the justice that he deserves then it could turn out to be a great film. Will it be better then the original? I dunno, possibly and possibly not (tho Destroy All Monsters is my fave Godzilla movie not the 1954 original) but that doesn't matter to me, all I want is a good Godzilla movie not "the best" (tho that would be nice)
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 15, 2012 at 12:52pm.

I never said it wouldn't be hard, but I have faith in them.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Like the beast itself...towering.

And wolfy, that's my point. The original was so incredible that I just don't see the point of doing a remake. Conan, The Thing, Mildred Pierce -- okay, a lot of you are too young to remember the original of that amazing film -- they all paled in comparison to the originals. It's just my opinion, but I feel there are some films -- GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA, CITIZEN KANE and, yes, GODZILLA -- that are just so spectacular in the original form that it doesn't make sense to do a re-do. I recognize, however, that there are some excellent re-makes -- BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA being a stand-out example in my book. So I do, however, hope I'm proven wrong with regard to GODZILLA. But my thinking is that I'd prefer to see studios spend sixty or a hundred million to shoot original films, with original ideas that will dazzle all of us and become classics in their own right...so I can complain thirty years from now when they make a re-make of those films!
    I disagree about Conan being a masterpiece. I think it blows chunks.

And you are acting like there has only been one Godzilla movie. This is not a remake of the original, it is just another Godzilla movie. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

that is so true. The original Gojira may have been a masterpiece but it wasn't until he started fighting characters such as Gigan, Ghidorah, Mothra and Rodan that he became the worldwide phenomenon, cultural icon megastar that we all know and love today