Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU cartoon spoof SON OF ZORN comes to Fox.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar

MOTU cartoon spoof SON OF ZORN comes to Fox.

http://www.strangekidsclub.com/2015/11/19/fox-announces-son-of-zorn-series-for-2016/

We’re a bit behind on this news, but FOX recently greenlit a new live-action/animated hybrid comedy called SON OF ZORN. Executive produced by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The Last Man On Earth, The LEGO Movie), the series looks to leverage its parody of retro cartoons like Thundarr the Barbarian and Masters of the Universe as a jumping off point to tell the story of Zorn (Jason Sudeikis):

a legendary animated warrior looking to reconnect with his live-action son, Alan (Johnny Pemberton), and ex-wife, Edie (Cheryl Hines), while suffering through a mundane office job and the banality of suburban life, [finding it] harder than waging actual war in his distant, mystical homeland of Zephyria.

“This is utterly unique, there has literally never been a show like this. And, of course, it is very, very funny,” said David Madden, President, Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting Company. I’m guessing he’s never seen Who Framed Roger Rabbit? or he’s referring to the whole ancient barbarian meets modern-day son schtick. Either way this sounds promising and I look forward to seeing more when Son of Zorn debuts during the 2016-2017 season.
    Last edited by sportsandstuff777; February 14, 2016 at 12:18am. Reason: spelling
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

aww man......Last Man on Earth and the lego movie aren't really funny. I tried to like them..i really did.

I hope this is better.

Also Zorn looks a lot like Will Forte.
    Last edited by ksharpe; February 14, 2016 at 12:48am.

Sounds like the type of thing that will end up on Adult Swim.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

Trailer looks promising! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnlQTi8heM

Starts September 25 on Fox.

I'm a big fan of whatever Phil Lord and Chris Miller have worked on - The LEGO Movie was hilarious as were Clone High and the Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs movies. They're producing, not writing, Son of Zorn but the fact they're involved makes me more interested in this project than I was before.

Trailer was hilarious and I like some of the cast from other shows, I'll be watching this.
    My music compositions: Krugos YouTube Channel - I hope you enjoy it!

He reminds me more of Thundarr than He-Man, but I keep picturing Jason Sudeikis when he talks since he has a very recognizable voice.

"Food *****!" Omg too funny.

I'll give it a go
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I saw the trailer the other day and it looks amusing.

Stabbing the bird with the sword was a bit much.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I saw the trailer the other day and it looks amusing.

Is it no different than things like other adult animated fantasy stuff like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Watership Down, Fire and Ice and Ninja Scroll when it comes to violence in animation?

Nice to see live-action with traditional animation back like Roger Rabbit and Cool World.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It's okay, midor. It was a stunt bird.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Didn't really find the trailer funny, but I find most of what seems to connect with viewers these days in the TV comedy realm I don't find very funny.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Didn't really find the trailer funny, but I find most of what seems to connect with viewers these days in the TV comedy realm I don't find very funny.
    And what is the difference between Duckman and Zorn?

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    And what is the difference between Duckman and Zorn?
    Duckman is a pure animated series. Son of Zorn is a mixed medium series (animation and live action).

Duckman was about an anthropomorphic detective duck living with his dead wife's sister as they raise his 3 kids. Son of Zorn is about a cartoon barbarian warlord trying to bond with his real life son while interacting with his ex-wife and her current husband.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Can't say I've heard of those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Is it no different than things like other adult animated fantasy stuff like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Watership Down, Fire and Ice and Ninja Scroll when it comes to violence in animation?

Nice to see live-action with traditional animation back like Roger Rabbit and Cool World.

Phew! That's a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It's okay, midor. It was a stunt bird.

Heroic Warrior
    Can't say I've heard of those shows.

Phew! That's a relief.
    Never heard of those movies? those are cult movies that's why and you know what cult means? those are examples of adult animation that existed before South Park, Duckman and the stuff you see today.

Heroic Warrior
    7 episode in, really enjoying it.

wonder if that He-Man titmouse still is part of a flashback episode back in Zypheria

I thought the first episode was ok, but I didn't like it enough to invest a full season of watching.

Heroic Warrior
    This show is about cuckolding.

Like everything else on tv

Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    Zorn Figures....
    Very cool that they've got a vintage MOTU vibe to them. I'll probably pick one up.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    I enjoy Zorn alot . Its very funny and entertaining . I watch it every week .

Anything that pays homage to MOTU is always welcome and perhaps attract new fans . I take no offense . Its meant to be funny and it does that well.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I was worried that the premise of this show would wear thin, and the writers would run out of ideas quickly, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how consistently good this show is.

and here comes the motu inspired funko son of zorn toy...

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=274&itemid=27833
    Zorn_POP_00__scaled_600.jpg
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstatic View Post
    and here comes the motu inspired funko son of zorn toy...

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=274&itemid=27833
    Zorn_POP_00__scaled_600.jpg
    Ha ha, -- that is great and made my day! Zorn is one of my favorite new shows in quite a while, was just thinking on sunday, "geez, i would probably buy an action figure."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    I enjoy Zorn alot . Its very funny and entertaining . I watch it every week .

Anything that pays homage to MOTU is always welcome and perhaps attract new fans . I take no offense . Its meant to be funny and it does that well.
    I believe that the show pays homage to the Sword & Sorcery genre in general, not specifically to MOTU, and the early 80's related movies and cartoons. Zorn himself as a character is far more Conan than He-Man, from what we saw so far. I have the feeling that if we ever saw, He-Man behaving or doing what Zorn did through this series, those boards would have been exploded, judging by past experiences. There are of course "influences" from MOTU like Butthead man (obvious Ram-Man rip-off), or when Zorn lift his sword and lighting strokes (even if this could be considered also a Thor reference), or mecha-Zorn (i.e. Faker), but there are also references from Conan (apart from Zorn, they kind introduced a Red Sonja character), and from Thundercats too (the Stone of Sight was clearly "inspired" by the Eye of Thundera). But overall as for the show itself it's really good so far. And it's great to see a new Sword and Sorcery character introduced. By the way the concept of a barbarian coming to our world, is a plot done in the largely forgotten sequel of Beastmaster "Through the Gate of Time". For sure Zorn did it much better than that!