Thread: Why can't this toy hold it's accessories? ARGH!

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar

Why can't this toy hold it's accessories? ARGH!

I dealt with this when I collected Monster High, and I'm dealing with it again with the old Star Trek line. Why do toy companies package accessories that they have to know the figures can't use? 90% of my Trek accessories have been dumped off, and many of the female characters have tiny hands that can't try to hold anything. Unpacking the Gorn today, I end up with a translator that would only fit in the left hand by cutting off the bottom, and a stone spike that won't fit in the right hand. Chang can't hold his gun. Only one figure(Riker) was made to hold a phaser properly. Captain Pike comes with this dinky laser that falls out of his hand.

Monster High, well there's been all sorts of accessories that you can't do anything with. Purses dangle off arms, stuff gets tossed aside. This plagues many doll lines, and Mattel sort of attempted to pack in new gripping hands with fashion packs, but it seems to be a thing they abandoned.

I remember buying a pre-DCSH Batman that came with several batarangs, and only fists for hands. We gripe at Mattel for not including enough, but in that case they packed too much.

I respect companies for including accessories, but if they can't be used, isn't it just a waste?

NUMBER ONE PET PEEVE, with toys. Friggin' hate that. The other thing I hate is when they sabotage their own product, like when they rubber band a weapon into the hands, which can A) bend the weapons, and B) Make the hand utterly useless without heat treatment (which doesn't always work). I can't stand when they feel like they have to make the figure look like it's in the middle of an action in-package. Just put it in there! Place the weapons someplace else! GAH.

Anyway, you'd think that would be a major part of the process. Can the figure actually HOLD what you're putting in the package with it? No? THEN TRY AGAIN.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

My biggest gripe is figure stands. Even when they actually do "give" them to you, they sometimes don't work and the location of the peg on the stand is always awkward.

This reminds me of the DCSH Batman that came with about 8 batarangs but since the figure had closed fists he couldn't hold a single one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    My biggest gripe is figure stands. Even when they actually do "give" them to you, they sometimes don't work and the location of the peg on the stand is always awkward.
    I've had to replace all my Trek stands with Protech's round flat stands for this very reason. The TNG badges aren't very useful, the Voyager badges less so, and the Bajoran badges are 110% ineffective as stands. You occasionally get useful stands- TOS, movies, Romulan, Ferengi, etc- but they're the exception. I suppse Playmates figures that adults weren't opening the toys to start with and kids probably didn't know better, hence useless accessories, pink phasers and junk stands.

Although at the time, I suppose those stands were one of the more effective and cheap ways to get badges for costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I've had to replace all my Trek stands with Protech's round flat stands for this very reason. The TNG badges aren't very useful, the Voyager badges less so, and the Bajoran badges are 110% ineffective as stands. You occasionally get useful stands- TOS, movies, Romulan, Ferengi, etc- but they're the exception. I suppse Playmates figures that adults weren't opening the toys to start with and kids probably didn't know better, hence useless accessories, pink phasers and junk stands.

Although at the time, I suppose those stands were one of the more effective and cheap ways to get badges for costumes.

They might have actually been somewhat ahead of their time, depending on when they started packing them in.

I can't recall many figures at all that came with a figure stand in the 90's. It just wasn't done.

I want to say GI Joe innovated it, but it seemed like it was several years before stands became common, and some earlier figures have holes too small for the standard peg size. Speaking of which, that line wasn't too bad, though with older toys suffering plastic breakdown over the years, thumbs snap off easily with some weapons. The 90s at least started using PVC for forearms and hands, otherwise thumbs would be snapping off left and right these days.

Playmates had stands starting with the first Trek wave, though between the pre-posing of that first TNG wave coupled with the cruddy leg articulation, I don't think they would've stood without them. I know Toy Biz had stands with their Generation X line.

That's interesting. I have the White Qeen MOC and didn't realize there was a figure stand included. I pretty much passed on the Gen X figures back in the day. Didn't like them at all.

This is the worst offender so far. I want to like this toy. It's not the accessories, or even the hands, it's the way the arms are posed. Bicep swivels would've been a benefit here, but that still doesn't excuse the sculptor. The dagger looks funny held in either hand, and I suppose if you want him shooting gangster style with the disruptor, it's a perfect figure. The bat'leth? You really have to fiddle with it. Even the package photo gave up and just rested it on the arms, I suspect the photographer set the toy on its back to do that.

I might grab one of the "Klingon warrior" figures and head swap it. Warrior Worf and Chancellor Gowron are dirt common and very cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the issue with Kang is that he has the wrong weapon. He comes with a new mold of the bat'leth which is quite larger than the previous one Playmates had come up with, but he seems to hold the small one better. It's still not perfect since the hands are turned at odd angles, but I suppose it at least looks right. This new one has thicker handles, and he can't really hold it without the thing flexing.