Thread: David Bowie as Joker in Burton's Batman

Heroic Warrior

David Bowie as Joker in Burton's Batman

Did you all know that originally David Bowie was gonna play the part of the Joker before Jack came in?

Any thoughts on what could had been?

Even Tim Curry, Brad Douriff and William Dafoe were contenders for the role.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I didn't know that.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Me either. Tim Curry would've been good too.

Originally those first two Batman movies were going to be a lot different. Nevermind that Lando [Dee Bradley Baker] was playing a black Harvey Dent, originally Robin was to be played by a Wayans brother and be more of a tech nerd. The idea was pitched for the first film, but was closer to happening in Batman Returns. I think it didn't happen in Returns because the cast was already rather large...

~TF~

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Fist View Post
    Nevermind that Lando [Dee Bradley Baker] was playing a black Harvey Dent
    That's Billy Dee Williams... not Dee Bradley Baker.

In the name of the Lloyd!

OMG I'm embarrassed I got that wrong, even had imdb.com up in another window. I remember him telling people he wanted to be called Billy Dee rather than Lando... I've stuck to calling him Lando for like 15 years LOL

~TF~

Never heard this, always heard the Robin Williams casting choice though, and he was apparently used as a dangling carrot to get Nicholson to sign on instead. Williams was always angry at the studio because they were never serious about giving him the part. They later offered him Riddler, but it was the same deal to get Jim Carrey to sign on. Maybe he should've been thankful for that, I doubt his presence would've saved the movie.

Tim Curry was hired to be Joker in TAS but they decided his performance was far too creepy for the role. Mark Hamill had been hired to do a part in the Mr Freeze episode and was chosen to replace Curry. So far they have never leaked any of the voiced Tim Curry stuff(anything on Youtube is a fake using dubbed IT dialog) though a bit of him laughing was used for some robot clown in a Joker episode.
    I play video games but I am NOT a gamer!

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Never heard this, always heard the Robin Williams casting choice though, and he was apparently used as a dangling carrot to get Nicholson to sign on instead. Williams was always angry at the studio because they were never serious about giving him the part. They later offered him Riddler, but it was the same deal to get Jim Carrey to sign on. Maybe he should've been thankful for that, I doubt his presence would've saved the movie.

Tim Curry was hired to be Joker in TAS but they decided his performance was far too creepy for the role. Mark Hamill had been hired to do a part in the Mr Freeze episode and was chosen to replace Curry. So far they have never leaked any of the voiced Tim Curry stuff(anything on Youtube is a fake using dubbed IT dialog) though a bit of him laughing was used for some robot clown in a Joker episode.
    I've never heard this! That's really interesting...

Heroic Warrior
    These were offered Max Zorin in 007 :

-Jagger ??
    -Sting
    -Bowie

Then finally Walken got it
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post

Curry was actually considered for the Burton movie, he was a good friend of Burton and was also considered for the role of Beetlejuice as well, but Burton felt the movie needed a bigger "star" so WB perused Nicholson.

Curry only did 4 episodes of B:TAS and the tracks for those 4 episodes were lost in a fire at the studio so there is no way WB could ever release them today. The only thing remaining of the recordings is a video of Curry and Conroy voicing an episode together that Alan Burnett recorded himself.
    Transparently Yours,

Bonehead

I always thought that "Barbra Streisand's hair dresser" (producer Jon Peters, as Kevin Smith loves to mention in his conventions appereances when talking about truncated "Superman" movie) has convinced Jack Nicholson to do te Joker when filming "The Witches of Eastwick".
    At the time, Robin Williams & Willem Dafoe were the other contenders. I never heard about David Bowie as an option, it would have been interesting.
    Not quite on the same vein, but Heath Ledger seemed to have borrowed some gestures from Tom Waits on his DK Joker.

I remember what would possible be the first and now quite prehistoric "nerd rage" when Michael Keaton was chosen to reprise Batman. There were letters sent to WB to change it for Sylverter Stallone or Clint Eastwood.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

I loved Keaton's Batman, and his Bruce Wayne is probably the most entertaining of all the films. Kilmer, Clooney, and Bale all seemed too one-note for me as Bruce Wayne. Hoping Batfleck is everything we need in a new Batman...

~TF~