Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series

There is a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series coming out in 2018 that will be 2-D and more kid friendly.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...nimated-series

I'll miss the 2012 show. I'm hoping it is not like Teen Titans Go.

Wow, color me intrigued!

I am excited that it's going to be 2D again... I feel that the 2012 series has started to get stale (and I think the studio execs feel the same...) so an all-new take on the Turtles should be something to get excited about!

One thing that I hope happens between now and 2018: Playmates loses the license to make action figures based on this property! Seriously, they have produced some of the worst figures (in scale, paint apps, and articulation) in 2016... I want someone new to have a shot at the TMNT for awhile.

Also, it's sad to read the accompanying article about the dismal chances for a third TMNT movie...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Wow, color me intrigued!

I am excited that it's going to be 2D again... I feel that the 2012 series has started to get stale (and I think the studio execs feel the same...) so an all-new take on the Turtles should be something to get excited about!

One thing that I hope happens between now and 2018: Playmates loses the license to make action figures based on this property! Seriously, they have produced some of the worst figures (in scale, paint apps, and articulation) in 2016... I want someone new to have a shot at the TMNT for awhile.

Also, it's sad to read the accompanying article about the dismal chances for a third TMNT movie...
    I actually blame the cartoon for having such stupid scales... The original series were all fairly close in size and the toys matched up pretty well. This series just about everyone who shows up is 3-6 times the sizes of the Turtles and would be a $40+ dollar toy. First one I noticed was the snakeweed thing from season 1... the toy was too small and was useless.... and the villain was too lame to justify that expensive of a toy!!

As for the new series?? I'm a bit concerned. It took me a LONG time to get into THIS series because it felt too 'kiddie' (looking at YOU mikey!!) It's gotten more legit as it goes, but if the new thing is some Teen Titans Go crapfest or some kind of Super Hero Squad thing... I won't watch it.

Also... I would love for them to get a little more creative with the franchise. When I started with this... I only watched the original cartoon.. then moved on to the movie... and the idea of Splinter being captured/killed and Leo or Raph getting the ever loving snot beat out of them and them retiring to a farmhouse to regroup and return was FASCINATING to me... Then they did it in the 2000 series... then they did it in the 2012 series... Not to mention the Utrom invasion and the Triceratron invasion... Team up with previous versions?? and it seems like they are just going off the same TPBs and retelling the same story OVER and OVER again... The original show had some serious flaws in it... but at least it wasn't just a rehash. It was it's own thing.

If they're going to just rehash the exact same plot over again that they just did... I think it will fall on it's face. 2012 actually seems to be have caught up and surpassed anything I've seen before, so it feels like fresh territory now.

As for a 3rd movie? I'm fine with it canceled. I liked part 2 a LOT better then part one... but it still wasn't very good. Still it had everything I wanted to see in a live action show... and I can't really think of any decent direction to go now. We had Bebop and Rocksteady... Krang... IN ROBO-ARMOR... Shredder out of his mech suit.... though still pretty sucky...

What's next? Time travel to ancient Japan? Alien Invasion? Other dimensional shenanigans? Ehhhh... I don't see that working very well OR it's been done to death... or both.

Heck, I'd love a toon adaptation of the excellent IDW comics. It's my favorite iteration of the TMNT, and I've followed all of them (except for the Saban series) (though I actually don't mind the idea of Venus and we even had a pet turtle named after her).
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

It took me a long time to get used to this current series. I just wasn't a fan of the animation, but it did grow on me around the time they brought Casey in. I'm glad that there is at least going to be a new turtles series, but I'm sick of the pattern. You had the original, and the final few seasons IMO were garbage. Then you had what was essentially the 200X reboot, which I really liked, the last two seasons were weird, but overall much better than the final 2 of the original series. Now you've got the current series and I don't know - there are some good episodes, and in general the show is much better overall if you binge watch it, but it's probably my least favorite so far. If I remember correctly I still need to finish the back half of s3, then watch s4 and this final season that's about to come out. So maybe it gets better (but given the trend of the quality going down in the final few seasons of each incarnation of this series I don't have much hope. Now we're getting *another* one? I'm going to watch it and I think the animation style will be more unique and interesting, but still...

It reminds me of Spiderman, we constantly get reboot after reboot after reboot of it (I'm one of the few who liked Ultimate Spiderman, but that's not the point lol) yet it's always the exact same stuff.... first the turtles origins, then them getting outted to the world, then April learning about them, they fight shredder, than krang, you get the origins of all the other mutated characters, the series branches out, gains a little ground then bamn! New series announced, lather, rinse, repeat.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Heroic Warrior
    I can't say I'm excited, firstly I like the current series but mostly because there is that little stink of Teen Titans Go/Sonic Boom about it and I don't like that format at all, I'll see what it turns out like but at the moment I'm less than happy - no surprise there, one day i'll be positive about something.
    Also Playmates have had the TMNT licence pretty much solidly since the mid-80s, they're the reason we got the original cartoon series and are thus pretty instrumental in the original Turtlemania, they're never giving that licence up, no matter how rubbish their output has become.

Quote Originally Posted by dwitefry View Post
    Also Playmates have had the TMNT licence pretty much solidly since the mid-80s, they're the reason we got the original cartoon series and are thus pretty instrumental in the original Turtlemania, they're never giving that licence up, no matter how rubbish their output has become.
    Never say never... Mattel CREATED and OWNS Masters of the Universe, yet, another company is now making the toys.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    You had the original, and the final few seasons IMO were garbage. .
    Really??

Did you see all 10 of the seasons? I only ask because I got out of it probably (just shooting from the hip here) about seasons 6 or 7... It was just too silly for me and I missed the awesomeness of the first season... Once they took away the nunchuks and gave mikey the grappling hook it was the beginning of the end... But I still pushed on for a few more seasons...

Still, recently I heard that the last seasons had different showrunners,...became less goofy, more serious and more a return to the season 1/original Movie 'tone', and I've been very intrigued to see the last two seasons. Just haven't found access to them.

Were they really still bad?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    haven't found access to them.
    Here you go. I think one episode is missing from one of those last seasons though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KYyyPNJtpng_ZC

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Really??

Did you see all 10 of the seasons? I only ask because I got out of it probably (just shooting from the hip here) about seasons 6 or 7... It was just too silly for me and I missed the awesomeness of the first season... Once they took away the nunchuks and gave mikey the grappling hook it was the beginning of the end... But I still pushed on for a few more seasons...

Still, recently I heard that the last seasons had different showrunners,...became less goofy, more serious and more a return to the season 1/original Movie 'tone', and I've been very intrigued to see the last two seasons. Just haven't found access to them.

Were they really still bad?
    Yes, I am going to have to agree with radrcks on this one.

TMNT, the original run, was great in seasons 1-4, and pretty good in seasons 5-7.... but, oh my, seasons 8-10 are really hard to watch... and this is coming from an 80's/90's cartoon fanatic.

Almost everything that made the first half of the run so fun and entertaining was scrapped in order to make the show more "gritty" and bring in a more serious tone when it was moved to the CBS cartoon lineup. From the new opening animation to the writing to the character interaction - it felt like a TMNT show from the twilight zone... it was just so alien to long-time viewers. The introduction of a new main antagonist, Lord Dregg, and a new human ally, Carter, only worsened the problem. These were terribly written and designed characters who made many fans cringe every time they showed up... which was pretty much always.

Definitely give it a watch, especially if you're a longtime, old-school TMNT fan and see what you think. Just be warned, these are certainly not the Turtles from seasons 1-3.

Almost everything that made the first half of the run so fun and entertaining was scrapped in order to make the show more "gritty" and bring in a more serious tone when it was moved to the CBS cartoon lineup. From the new opening animation to the writing to the character interaction - it felt like a TMNT show from the twilight zone... it was just so alien to long-time viewers. The introduction of a new main antagonist, Lord Dregg, and a new human ally, Carter, only worsened the problem. These were terribly written and designed characters who made many fans cringe every time they showed up... which was pretty much always.
    I think if there was more of a gradual progression with the transformation of gritty and dark tones (they did a much better job evolving and growing up the tones of the 200X and 2014 series IMO) it would have been better. But like you said they literally threw out 90% of the entire show within an episode to make it happen. It would have been easier to swallow I think, if they didn't throw in the secondary mutations they all went under. That could have been handled a lot better because it pretty much made them feel more like transformers or power rangers than the ninja turtles we were there to watch.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

The original TMNT obviously changed things up towards the end as it was dying out and felt like it needed to compete with the new "it" thing in Power Rangers. It probably wouldn't have gotten any more renewals had it not been willing to try to change.

I didn't really care for the second animated series, but I enjoyed the original show and Nick show a lot. I hope this new show is closer to one of them.

Grammer Flunky
    I thinkn the Original Turtles, the one that got many of us started on the franchise, is the best. sure, there are some episodes I never need to watch again. (The Great Bouldini, Turtle of a Thousand Faces, Shrinking Michaelangelo), but on the whole it remained constant and fun. only toward the end did even the voice actors seem a little tired of it in performances, just running through the paces...which is why it might have been switched up to a darker mode.

My all time favorite is 4Kids though. the action, the comedy, the timing was all just right and it truly is a love letter to all things TMNT. you can't top it IMHO.

as for the new series....and I don't think it's just because i'm older...It never really clicked with me. The animation was top notch. the voices where good, the music was great. but some of the designs I HATED. I HATED the focus on gross humor and gross monster looks. some characters and villains where even more worthless than a Fred wolf villain could ever be.. (the Finger? Really?) and things like the stupid love triangle, and every girl having to be a girlfriend of the turtles felt like a tumblr or shipper decision. ugh.

it just feels very juvenile, very disjointed, and never found what it wanted to be. The people in charge claim to be turtle fans...but if so, they never really seemed to totally understand anything but the basics, and once they tried to expand beyond that, it fell apart fast. re, the whole farm episode saga.

I personally will be happy to leave this mess of a series behind, andhope that the next one is more like Justice League action. with the right amount of tounge in cheek humor and action. enough of grim and gritty and potty fart humor..

Personally, I kind of wish nick never got turtles. the only good thing to come out of it so far is IDW. those guys get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I thinkn the Original Turtles, the one that got many of us started on the franchise, is the best. sure, there are some episodes I never need to watch again. (The Great Bouldini, Turtle of a Thousand Faces, Shrinking Michaelangelo), but on the whole it remained constant and fun. only toward the end did even the voice actors seem a little tired of it in performances, just running through the paces...which is why it might have been switched up to a darker mode.

My all time favorite is 4Kids though. the action, the comedy, the timing was all just right and it truly is a love letter to all things TMNT. you can't top it IMHO.

as for the new series....and I don't think it's just because i'm older...It never really clicked with me. The animation was top notch. the voices where good, the music was great. but some of the designs I HATED. I HATED the focus on gross humor and gross monster looks. some characters and villains where even more worthless than a Fred wolf villain could ever be.. (the Finger? Really?) and things like the stupid love triangle, and every girl having to be a girlfriend of the turtles felt like a tumblr or shipper decision. ugh.

it just feels very juvenile, very disjointed, and never found what it wanted to be. The people in charge claim to be turtle fans...but if so, they never really seemed to totally understand anything but the basics, and once they tried to expand beyond that, it fell apart fast. re, the whole farm episode saga.

I personally will be happy to leave this mess of a series behind, andhope that the next one is more like Justice League action. with the right amount of tounge in cheek humor and action. enough of grim and gritty and potty fart humor..

Personally, I kind of wish nick never got turtles. the only good thing to come out of it so far is IDW. those guys get it.

Nothing wrong with grim and gritty like Frank Miller or Alan Moore if it's well written but do you think some people took the wrong lessons from them?
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; July 8, 2017 at 08:07pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

The voice cast: http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/02/rise-of-...tz-kat-graham/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Snx4tzNEQMk

According to the article, there will be a race change for April.

Heroic Warrior
    Of course there is a race change for April, Hollywood hates red heads.

I have no interest in this new show after all we lost a good one for this piece of crap.

Grammer Flunky
    the last one was hardly good. it was ALLL over the place, with endless tiresome horror homages.

The ONLY reason i'm willing to give race change april a chance is because she WAS black for a few early issues of the mirage comics (or Latina). but yeah. I'm NOT liking the idea of this new series so far. I don't trust the people at Nick to know she was black for afew issues...and it stinks of change for the sake of change.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The voice cast: http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/02/rise-of-...tz-kat-graham/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Snx4tzNEQMk

According to the article, there will be a race change for April.
    Hmmm, with a name like O'Neil, there aren't a lot of options, lol.

Heroic Warrior
    Hmmm, with a name like O'Neil, there aren't a lot of options, lol.
    Actually, there are. The name only means that there has to be an irish guy somwhere in her father's lineage.

It sounds like they also might make Ralph the leader over Leo which I don't like.

Like Transformers, TMNT is doomed to be nothing more than endless stream of reboots, each becoming less and less recognizable.

It’s really, really strange that all the characters seem to be pretty much the same, apart from Leonardo and Raphael who, for some bizarre reason, have had their characters flipped around. Seriously, why have they done that? When I first read the press release, I literally thought they had made a mistake and got the names the wrong way around.

So are Bebop and Rocksteady going to be a mutant warthog and rhinoceros, yet Shredder is going to be an ugly pink brain-like creature and Krang is going to be a metal-clad ninja warrior?

Grammer Flunky
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Like Transformers, TMNT is doomed to be nothing more than endless stream of reboots, each becoming less and less recognizable.
    what i'm worried about.

IMHO, the last reboot was already an unrecognizable mess. and that sadly might be the best we get under nick.

I had hope that nick would treat this franchise right. but, sadly, the ONLY good thing we got out of this corporate sale was IDW.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Transformers Prime was good
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Have any designs for the new series been revealed?

In the name of the Lloyd!