Thread: Snl 40

Snl 40

So, what did you think?

THe red carpet was a nice touch. We had three ghostbuster cast members there (dan, bill, sigourney). Some of the question asking was a bit awkward though.

This was the first full saturday night live i've seen since the chris farley years. my god it's terrible, and the audience seemed down right bored. They didn't even laugh at the classic bass master 3.0.
    the only two skits that where actuallly funny where jeapordy and waynes world. the rest must make lorne wonder why he still tries.

Also, did chevy chase seem a little off? Like he didn't know where he was? He DID have enough comedic left to try and fake a trip walking out, but no one seemed to notice or care.

Jane Curtains still got it..but she's got worse teeth than me! and Mellisa McCarthy and that football kid do not belong on the s ame stage as steve martin. Also, please no more kanye west or miley cirus. ugh.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    They didn't even laugh at the classic bass master 3.0.
    I think that was the problem. Having Aykroyd and Newman basically do a skit everyone has seen a million times word-for-word just sucked the life out of it. It was like when John Cleese and Michael Palin did their famous Dead Parrot skit from Monty Python - it bombed too.

Also, did chevy chase seem a little off? Like he didn't know where he was? He DID have enough comedic left to try and fake a trip walking out, but no one seemed to notice or care.
    I'm sure Chevy is aware he's likely the most despised former cast member by everyone else. And I'm sure he caught that Norm introduced him in the most insincere way possible...

I think the most disappointing thing was Eddie Murphy. It was such a big deal to finally have him back, and Chris Rock gave a really inspiring intro, and then Eddie came out and obviously couldn't be less interested in being there.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; February 16, 2015 at 11:23pm.

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    Just like the Simpsons, SNL jumped the shark a long time ago, and has reached the point where one only one word can make people happy about it again.

One, single, word.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    It was hit-or-miss, like every episode of SNL has been since the beginning. The highs were excellent (Steve Martin's solo part of the intro, Jeopardy, the 'Break' digital Short, the music bit-especially Bull Murray), and the lows were not good at all (Californians, Eddie Murphy's jokeless bit, Kanye West). Besides, it had three and a half hours to fill. It wasn't all going to be gold.

A huge part of the reason why the crowd was kind of dead was because it was full of celebrities and SNL alums. If that was your average SNL crowd, the pop would have been much, much bigger.

In all, I thought it was pretty blasted good.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It was hit-or-miss, like every episode of SNL has been since the beginning. The highs were excellent (Steve Martin's solo part of the intro, Jeopardy, the 'Break' digital Short, the music bit-especially Bull Murray), and the lows were not good at all (Californians, Eddie Murphy's jokeless bit, Kanye West). Besides, it had three and a half hours to fill. It wasn't all going to be gold.

A huge part of the reason why the crowd was kind of dead was because it was full of celebrities and SNL alums. If that was your average SNL crowd, the pop would have been much, much bigger.

In all, I thought it was pretty blasted good.
    I agree with you as to what the "highs" were... espeically Celebrity Jeopardy and the whole thing with Martin Short and Mia Rudolph as Beyonce, with various past cast members reprising their musical charaters. The digital short and the Wayne's World sketch were pretty good, too. My problem was that there wasn't enough of them and there could have been more.

There was just too much time wasted IMO. Frankly I could have done without most of the standard music performances (i.e. Paul McCartney, Miley Cyrus, Kanye, etc.) in favor of more sketches and bits that had various cast members from throughout the years working together. It would have been one thing if some kind of historic reunion of a previous band was happening, or a historic teaming up of musical artists.. then I could maybe see dedicating the time to something like that. But otherwise it was just time wasted as far as I am concerned.

I didn't expect every moment to be gold, but given all of the talent working together, I really expected there to be more good-to-outstanding moments than there were for a 3 and a half hour special. Sadly I can count the truly outstanding moments on one hand.

It was kind of a waste IMO reprising the Californians sketch. That was never a great recurring sketch to begin with and always dragged on too long. At best I would laugh once or twice during it, and usually that was because of someone breaking character and laughing (aka the theme of the digital short later in the show). The parts there were funny in this case (i.e. Betty White and Bradley Cooper) easily could have been used in a different/better sketch. The same with the random call back to the "buh-bye" sketch.

And from what I understand, some stuff was cut for time. It's really sad to think that we might have gotten some far better sketches if they had simply cut out some of the other crap.

To me if felt like 1/4 of the show (maybe 1/3, if I'm being generous) was actually good. The rest fell flat.

And don't even get me started on Melissa McCarthy doing the Chris Farley's character Matt Foley. I'm already tired of her schtick as it is, and that was just stupid. I didn't care for Emma Stone as Roseanne Roseannadanna either, but it didn't bother me quite as much.

I agree that SNL has always been hit and miss, but this special should have been something different and better. Hell, even if they had simply just done more actual sketches, even if some of them were to fall flat, I could at least give them credit for trying. But there was just a lot of boring music acts, boring speeches that often went no where or built up to nothing (i.e. Chris Rock's nice intro for Eddie Murphy, only for Eddie to come out and do pretty much nothing) and the like.

In the name of the Lloyd!

I agree on being tired of mellissa mccarthy, but I thought her impression was pretty darn spot on. the rossanna one didn't even try to sound like gilda. she just kind of phoned it in.

I would have loved to see a return of Gumby. Mr.Rogers neighborhood.....They did play with the Jaws Shark a little, but that should have been a recurring sketch throughout the night. No Coneheads sketch.
    No bumblebees. All the iconic things from SNL happened in the first 20 years and that's what they should have focused on. I'm betting no one's really watched a full episode since 2000.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    All the iconic things from SNL happened in the first 20 years and that's what they should have focused on.
    You realize that the early 80's was one of the worst times in the history of SNL, right? Once the original cast left, Eddie Murphy literally saved the show from cancellation single-handedly until reinforcements showed up in the form of Carvey, Hartman, and that crew (as Eddie was leaving for Hollywood). Just like individual episodes, the series itself has creative high and low periods. To say that she show should focus on the first 20 years is to miss some amazing work in the 90's with Ferrell's crew.

I'm betting no one's really watched a full episode since 2000.
    That's not really fair. For nearly the last decade, people have been able to cherry pick the sketches they like online. Not watching a full 90 minute variety show is a lot easier to do today than it was 20 years ago.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats