Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Killing Joke to be an animated movie

Heroic Warrior

The Killing Joke to be an animated movie

One of my favorite DC graphic novels to be an animated film by Bruce Timm and company is coming soon.

This could be good, id love to see Peter Chung who designed/created Aeon Flux plus Reign the Conqueror and also designed COPS (80s animated show), Phantom 2040 and the first 3 seasons of the original Ninja Turtles do this movie.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; August 28, 2015 at 03:19pm.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    One of my favorite DC graphic novels to be an animated film by Bruce Timm and company is coming soon.

This could be good, id love to see Peter Chung who designed/created Aeon Flux plus Reign the Conqueror and also designed COPS (80s animated show), Phantom 2040 and the first 3 seasons of the original Ninja Turtles do this movie.
    I love Peter Chung, but I don't think he's right stylistically for this at all. And Chung has no history with the DCAU.

It will likely be one of Sam Liu, Jay Olivia, Lauren Montgomery or Ethan Spaulding.

I heard that is going to be directed by Sam Liu, the same director from Gods & Monsters. I think that Mark Hamill is on board as well.

It is quite intriguing for me if Brian Bolland's visuals are going to be emulted in the film, as it has been done with Mazzuchelli's Year One. Bolland has a very realistic drawiing style and I''d like to see how it'll be represented in animation. Pretty same intrigue if someday "Kingdom Come" would be done as an animated DC movie.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I heard that is going to be directed by Sam Liu, the same director from Gods & Monsters. I think that Mark Hamill is on board as well.

It is quite intriguing for me if Brian Bolland's visuals are going to be emulted in the film, as it has been done with Mazzuchelli's Year One. Bolland has a very realistic drawiing style and I''d like to see how it'll be represented in animation. Pretty same intrigue if someday "Kingdom Come" would be done as an animated DC movie.
    Sam Liu ok.

Yeah, when this was announced, I was pretty excited! Thanks for reminding me! This is one of my most favorite graphic novels ever, and with Mark voicing Mr. J, you know it'll be great. I actually used a bit of this in my high school theate class and it killed! (No pun intended.)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, Hawke, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, and for the love of Grayskull, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It should be interesting to see how they approach it. I like most of Moore's work, but this was way over-hyped at the time. To me, it was average at best, and the ending was ridiculously forced. To be honest, if it weren't for the effect it had on Batgirl, I think it would be entirely forgettable.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It should be interesting to see how they approach it. I like most of Moore's work, but this was way over-hyped at the time. To me, it was average at best, and the ending was ridiculously forced. To be honest, if it weren't for the effect it had on Batgirl, I think it would be entirely forgettable.
    Yeah I agree Scott and I'm quite surprised someone else feels the same way.

I think it's THE most overrated Batman story of all time.

So what do you two class as your favourite Batman stories then?

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    So what do you two class as your favourite Batman stories then?
    If you're talking Joker stories, then the O'Neil/ Adams Batman #251 “Joker’s Five-Way Revenge” is the first thing that comes to mind. It's a classic issue that revamped the Joker and made him into the modern villain he has become today.

I'd also add Detective #475 & 476 which prominently featured The Joker Fish. It's most known for it's tamer cartoon adaption in B:TAS but the actual issues were pretty violet for it's time.
    Last edited by Bonehead; September 1, 2015 at 12:10am.

Heroic Warrior
    And do you think Killing Joke and O'Neil/Adams Joker influenced Ledger's?

And do you think Killing Joke and O'Neil/Adams Joker influenced Ledger's?
    Not in the least.

Honestly, Nolan's Joker is just a generic homicidal maniac. Ledger actually claimed he got his influences from real life mass murders and killers. He's nothing like "the Joker" from DC Comics. A purple suit and green hair doesn't make you into "the Joker." Don't get me wrong, Ledger did an outstanding part playing the villain in the movie BUT I just don't think it was THE Joker. Great villain...sure. Great Joker....no.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post

This is going to be a very difficult art-style to try and emulate in animated form. Bolland has a very defined and sharp art style that works beautifully as still images (just look at his Wonder Woman covers), but I'm not so sure about actual fluid-movement. I am cautiously optimistic for The Killing Joke... I just hope that they don't butcher it like they did with my all-time favorite Batman story: Year One.

David Mazzucchelli is second to none in his deceptively simplistic art style, and I absolutely adore everything he has put out. So I was devastated when I saw how watered down and sloppy they handled his designs in the animated Year One...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Not in the least.

Honestly, Nolan's Joker is just a generic homicidal maniac. Ledger actually claimed he got his influences from real life mass murders and killers. He's nothing like "the Joker" from DC Comics. A purple suit and green hair doesn't make you into "the Joker." Don't get me wrong, Ledger did an outstanding part playing the villain in the movie BUT I just don't think it was THE Joker. Great villain...sure. Great Joker....no.
    I agree with this.... except for the great villain part. The Dark Knight is such a scrambled mess that any subsequent viewings are very difficult to sit through.

Just as Christopher Nolan knows just enough about interstellar travel in order to put together a (terrible) space odyssey, he knew just enough about Batman to make a shoddy attempt at a dark, gritty, "realistic" superhero saga.

Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor, he was just mis-cast for the role of The Joker.
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar
    This will be one "surefire" DC project. They'd have to be really cheap and uncaring for this to flop.
    My only concern is how they'll fit Harley Quinn in, since "Killing Joke" was made before she was made and nowadays comic fans can't see Joker without Harley, especially with Mark Hamill voicing Joker.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is going to be a very difficult art-style to try and emulate in animated form. Bolland has a very defined and sharp art style that works beautifully as still images (just look at his Wonder Woman covers), but I'm not so sure about actual fluid-movement. I am cautiously optimistic for The Killing Joke... I just hope that they don't butcher it like they did with my all-time favorite Batman story: Year One.

David Mazzucchelli is second to none in his deceptively simplistic art style, and I absolutely adore everything he has put out. So I was devastated when I saw how watered down and sloppy they handled his designs in the animated Year One...

I agree with this.... except for the great villain part. The Dark Knight is such a scrambled mess that any subsequent viewings are very difficult to sit through.

Just as Christopher Nolan knows just enough about interstellar travel in order to put together a (terrible) space odyssey, he knew just enough about Batman to make a shoddy attempt at a dark, gritty, "realistic" superhero saga.

Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor, he was just mis-cast for the role of The Joker.
    No way, Ledger was Joker playing Joker and embodied him well from Adams/O'Neil/Moore's version.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; October 10, 2015 at 11:14pm.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Mark Hamill voicing the Joker again .
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Mark Hamill voicing the Joker again .
    That is gonna be sweet

Heroic Warrior
    http://batman-news.com/2015/10/09/batman-the-killing-joke-rated-r/

Sounds interesting, DC's first R-rated animated movie.

http://batman-news.com/2015/10/09/batman-the-killing-joke-rated-r/

Sounds interesting, DC's first R-rated animated movie.
    It might be. It says they have permission, but said they don't know if they will.

I don't see how they could do it justice any other way.

FDT
    I'll be brutally honest and say that the major reason Ledger's Joker is held in such high regard is because he died, rather than the performance, and that fact alone seems to almost make him untouchable against critique. As a villain it was okay- but it would be far creepier without the makeup and hair dye mess. I don't even think those puffy "scars" really look like a smile, to be honest. If that's what they were going for, a CGI overlay may have been better. This is a character that would work better in another film without the cheap runny makeup. As the Joker........ Nicholson already nailed it. Regardless of who Joker was before, he was still a guy who fell into a vat of chemicals, got disfigured and went insane. He also has a lot of trademarks beyond just the evil clown thing, such as his toxin that kills people laughing, which wasn't in Nolan's version- neither was Bane's chemical drug, it seems, another missed chance.

Plus the fact that he didn't fall into the vat because of Batman really seemed to alter the relationship between them for the worst. He just shows up one day and that's it.

And this was the same film where Harvey gets his face burned, including the eyelid totally removed, but his exposed eye survives and never dries out despite losing the lid and likely tear ducts. Or really, his face is a mangled mess with exposed muscles but he suffers no infections, searing constant pain or other ill effects beyond cosmetic scars. Okay, so Joker was changed for realism, but Two-Face really gets it all wrong at the same time.

I'd compare it to what Burton did with the Penguin- they changed the physical appearance, dropped a lot of the familiar gimmick and persona and made a character that would work better in an unrelated franchise.

Nolan aims for realism, but doesn't quite get it, I think. A real vigilante isn't going to dress like that or drive a giant vehicle that stands out, so it kind of fails to meet its own goal. I suspect I'd like them more as a standalone franchise. I mean, it is possible to go too far into the goofy fantasy realm- look at Batman 3 and 4, but it's also possible to cut short. Films lately have tried to pass themselves off as "realistic" but not really "believable" at the same time, while the rare ones are directors like Del Toro who realize that film is an opportunity to do things that are beyond realism and roll with it.
    Last edited by diosoth; October 10, 2015 at 08:35pm.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    I don't see how they could do it justice any other way.
    This.

If they opt not to make this film rated R, then they may as well not even attempt it.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I'll be brutally honest and say that the major reason Ledger's Joker is held in such high regard is because he died, rather than the performance, and that fact alone seems to almost make him untouchable against critique. As a villain it was okay- but it would be far creepier without the makeup and hair dye mess. I don't even think those puffy "scars" really look like a smile, to be honest. If that's what they were going for, a CGI overlay may have been better. This is a character that would work better in another film without the cheap runny makeup. As the Joker........ Nicholson already nailed it. Regardless of who Joker was before, he was still a guy who fell into a vat of chemicals, got disfigured and went insane. He also has a lot of trademarks beyond just the evil clown thing, such as his toxin that kills people laughing, which wasn't in Nolan's version- neither was Bane's chemical drug, it seems, another missed chance.

Plus the fact that he didn't fall into the vat because of Batman really seemed to alter the relationship between them for the worst. He just shows up one day and that's it.

And this was the same film where Harvey gets his face burned, including the eyelid totally removed, but his exposed eye survives and never dries out despite losing the lid and likely tear ducts. Or really, his face is a mangled mess with exposed muscles but he suffers no infections, searing constant pain or other ill effects beyond cosmetic scars. Okay, so Joker was changed for realism, but Two-Face really gets it all wrong at the same time.

I'd compare it to what Burton did with the Penguin- they changed the physical appearance, dropped a lot of the familiar gimmick and persona and made a character that would work better in an unrelated franchise.

Nolan aims for realism, but doesn't quite get it, I think. A real vigilante isn't going to dress like that or drive a giant vehicle that stands out, so it kind of fails to meet its own goal. I suspect I'd like them more as a standalone franchise. I mean, it is possible to go too far into the goofy fantasy realm- look at Batman 3 and 4, but it's also possible to cut short. Films lately have tried to pass themselves off as "realistic" but not really "believable" at the same time, while the rare ones are directors like Del Toro who realize that film is an opportunity to do things that are beyond realism and roll with it.
    Well stated.

I feel like Ledger's Joker would have been more at home in a Rob Zombie flick than in a Batman one. Jack Nicholson actually "got" the Joker character, and spared no expense when playing the part.

And don't get me started on Nolan's idea of Harvey Dent/Two Face.... ugh, not only did he cram Dent's entire origin and "career" into the last 3rd of his movie, but he did it in the poorest and sloppiest manner possible...

It's times like this when I wish Tim Burton was able to finish his Batman trilogy... 15 years before Batman Begins and Batman '89 is still the champion!
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Bonehead, you have no idea how wonderful it is to hear someone else shares my opinion of Heath Ledger's Joker. Everybody in the real world seems shocked that I don't love that interpretation, but to me, as you said, he has nothing in common with his comic book counterpart aside from the purple and green. I couldn't enjoy the interpretation and am frustrated by how venerated it has become.

I'm curious to see how this movie comes together, but to be honest I am still smarting from the pathetically underwhelming opening scenes in Under The Red Hood. If ever there was a time to show a bit more violence and blood in a Batman cartoon to really drive home point that a character was not going to be able to come back from the dead, it was in that warehouse scene between Jason and the Joker. And I say that as someone who doesn't enjoy animated violence.

I have yet to read The Killing Joke, so without spoiling it for me can anyone say whether there is really a need for R rated violence outside of that iconic moment where Barbara opens the door?

Heroic Warrior
    This is gonna be one of those adult animated films just like Dark Knight Returns, Fritz the Cat, Watership Down, Heavy Metal, South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut, Wizards, American Pop, Felidae, Fantastic Planet, Chico and Rita, The Simpsons Movie, Gandahar aka Lightyears, Fire and Ice, Hey Good Looking, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Wicked City, Ghost in The Shell, Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2, Princess Mononoke etc. as they shown animation wasn't just for kids and that's cool as i am an animation fan and also a fan of adult animation as well.

Grammer Flunky
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Bonehead, you have no idea how wonderful it is to hear someone else shares my opinion of Heath Ledger's Joker. Everybody in the real world seems shocked that I don't love that interpretation, but to me, as you said, he has nothing in common with his comic book counterpart aside from the purple and green. I couldn't enjoy the interpretation and am frustrated by how venerated it has become.
    not the only one dude. I've been saying it since the movie came out. and I agree 100%. the only reason ledgers version is even remembered is because he died. there was nothing tying the two characters together.

Same goes for 1990's penguin. where jack got the joker so well, the penguin was bat **** insane and terrible. I'm so glad that the animated series didn't use that version. the rich playboy that is the dark mirror image of bruce is far more interesting...

as for the killing joke, i don't know the story, but more mark hamil joker is ALWAYS welcome. even the more serious type (which i'm not too fond of, cause I find that version boring. Re: return of the joker)

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I have yet to read The Killing Joke, so without spoiling it for me can anyone say whether there is really a need for R rated violence outside of that iconic moment where Barbara opens the door?
    A nude Commissioner Gordon. But that's not really violent. Or what Joker does with Barbara Gordon after he shoots her.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!