Page 22 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 TMNT Classics and New Series Toy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Well you are partially right, the rising cost for MOTUC comes from production costs but the rising costs for toys in general comes from the middle man that is Walmart, Target, TRU, Kmart, etc.

Costs are rising, but that effect is magnified when a line is very small. Playmates isn't the only line that is priced out reasonably. I feel like the Predator and Robocop figures are reasonably priced (so long as their isn't a glut of figures put out).

You guys just don't understand the stranglehold that retail has on a toyline, they want a discount to sell the product but also want a share of the sales. So a manufacturer is left with having to increase the price of the toys to be able to still reach their profit margin and appease those selling the product.

I understand it perfectly. They not only sell your products, they also advertise it. So, they are doing more than their share. I'm fine with Internet-only lines (if that's the way someone wants to run a line). The problem is no advertising is taking place. Of course the lines are shrinking.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Costs are rising, but that effect is magnified when a line is very small. Playmates isn't the only line that is priced out reasonably. I feel like the Predator and Robocop figures are reasonably priced (so long as their isn't a glut of figures put out).
    Aren't those two NECA though? NECA, McFarlane, Playmates, Bandai make up the 2nd tier of toy makers as they all have the same capabilities and relationships with retailers and distributors.

Mattel and Hasbro as like the A team and play by a totally different set of rules due solely to the amount of revenue they generate.

I like to think of them as the stars of toy making while everyone else warms the bench

- - - Updated - - -

I understand it perfectly. They not only sell your products, they also advertise it. So, they are doing more than their share. I'm fine with Internet-only lines (if that's the way someone wants to run a line). The problem is no advertising is taking place. Of course the lines are shrinking.
    Whether they are doing their fair share depends on your point of view, the money they are making vs what they are doing to sell the product is not really anywhere close.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Aren't those two NECA though? NECA, McFarlane, Playmates, Bandai make up the 2nd tier of toy makers as they all have the same capabilities and relationships with retailers and distributors.

Mattel and Hasbro as like the A team and play by a totally different set of rules due solely to the amount of revenue they generate.

I like to think of them as the stars of toy making while everyone else warms the bench

- - - Updated - - -

Whether they are doing their fair share depends on your point of view, the money they are making vs what they are doing to sell the product is not really anywhere close.

Nevertheless, if you are going to bypass them, then it becomes necessary to do the advertising that they would have been providing.

Companies that bypass retail often go to extremes to make the public aware of their products. Avon parties, Kirby vacume salesmen going door to door, etc. It's a difficult route for that reason.

I know I rarely pass on anything due to price when I'm at the store. The larger issue is if there is anything there I really like. The secondary issue is whether said item will hold some aftermarket value, so that I won't end up with a collection that isn't worth squat.

I know I rarely pass on anything due to price when I'm at the store. The larger issue is if there is anything there I really like. The secondary issue is whether said item will hold some aftermarket value, so that I won't end up with a collection that isn't worth squat.
    Yeah I stopped caring about aftermarket value after both the comics industry and the toy industry essentially crashed in the late 90's Its all ebbs and flows anyway, what worthless one minute becomes priceless the minute it is rebooted ore revived

When that happens with my Simpsons and MOTU 200x I will be very happy lol
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

200x stuff has really come down, and I have been taking advantage of that. I have like 15 carded figures right now, acquired for somewhere around $13 each on average. One person's loss is another's gain

200x stuff has really come down, and I have been taking advantage of that. I have like 15 carded figures right now, acquired for somewhere around $13 each on average. One person's loss is another's gain
    Yup and then that person's gain becomes a fortune the minute a new show based on the license comes out

LOL. The best part of it is I didn't have to buy any variants.

All jokes aside, it's good to keep future market values in mind when buying, even at retail. Future prices are largely determined when the items are still hanging on the pegs.

Consider that a few people paid full price, $15, for the deluxe Lion-o. I got 3 of them for $3 each, LOL. I didn't see how the stores were going to be able to move them at $15, so I waited for the inevitable sales. I have a very calculating mind I always try to visualize the item's future worth when deciding what price to buy at.

Nothing for me at my Walmart or K-mart yet, but my stores tend to put out new toys on Thursdays.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

All jokes aside, it's good to keep future market values in mind when buying, even at retail. Future prices are largely determined when the items are still hanging on the pegs.

Consider that a few people paid full price, $15, for the deluxe Lion-o. I got 3 of them for $3 each, LOL. I didn't see how the stores were going to be able to move them at $15, so I waited for the inevitable sales. I have a very calculating mind I always try to visualize the item's future worth when deciding what price to buy at.
    Yeah if you have been at this a while you know based on a companies past how their stuff is going to go, Bandai stuff ALWAYS goes on clearance because they make so much of it (happened with Teen Titans, happens every year with Power Rangers and Ben 10). The intriguing thing about Thundercats was the speed in which this decline happened and the amount of stuff that did not move. Even on failed toylines there is not that much excess left over.

If you learn the patterns and have a set price point in mind you can scoop a lot of product for cheap and inevitably sell it or trade it for much more later. You will probably be rewarded handsomely in time for what you picked up for Thundercats.

Yeah if you have been at this a while you know based on a companies past how their stuff is going to go, Bandai stuff ALWAYS goes on clearance because they make so much of it (happened with Teen Titans, happens every year with Power Rangers and Ben 10). The intriguing thing about Thundercats was the speed in which this decline happened and the amount of stuff that did not move. Even on failed toylines there is not that much excess left over.

If you learn the patterns and have a set price point in mind you can scoop a lot of product for cheap and inevitably sell it or trade it for much more later. You will probably be rewarded handsomely in time for what you picked up for Thundercats.

That's the tough part. I'm not a patient chap. Anyway, I spent pretty much gas to find everything, so it didn't make much sense to leave hard to find items behind. It just sucks that a lot of Wal-marts still haven't clearanced their stuff because I could have had more.

That's the tough part. I'm not a patient chap. Anyway, I spent pretty much gas to find everything, so it didn't make much sense to leave hard to find items behind. It just sucks that a lot of Wal-marts still haven't clearanced their stuff because I could have had more.
    Yeah I have no idea what the deal is with that, about two months ago we had a few Walmarts basically giving the toys away and now they have "clearanced" the Tower of Omens for $32.95

Yeah I have no idea what the deal is with that, about two months ago we had a few Walmarts basically giving the toys away and now they have "clearanced" the Tower of Omens for $32.95

It is really weird. My local Walmart clearanced off only the modern 6" figures, but didn't mark down anything else
    Well, they don't much left, anyway, but... you would think they would want to get rid of what is left.

I was at a far away Walmart a few weeks ago with a small army of 6" Classic Lion-o's. Damn. If those had been under $8 I would have grabbed a bunch of them. Wasted trip that was

Maybe they just figured out that the other stores will blow out their stock, and then they can go back to selling at or near full price to johnny come lately types

Clearance and sales seem to be things that happen very fast. If you aren't paying attention, you can miss out very easily. Speaking of which, TRU never did put that sale back on

Well you are partially right, the rising cost for MOTUC comes from production costs but the rising costs for toys in general comes from the middle man that is Walmart, Target, TRU, Kmart, etc.

You guys just don't understand the stranglehold that retail has on a toyline, they want a discount to sell the product but also want a share of the sales. So a manufacturer is left with having to increase the price of the toys to be able to still reach their profit margin and appease those selling the product.

There are a lot of armchair QB when it comes to the toy business, but its not always an easy thing to navigate. Playmates can price lower because they are retail friendly, its the same as how Bandai can do it. They can pump out a lot of product, get it out quickly, and still turn a profit. This is completely opposite for Mattel and Hasbro which is why their stuff costs more.
    Thanks for the insight. I know the electronics industry because of being a Best Buy employee but the toy industry is a mystery to me.
    BergerKing's opinions and the opinions expressed in the above post do not necessarily reflect the opinions of He-Man.org, Mattel, Coca-Cola, the Catholic Church or the NFL
    I have a feedback thread! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-thread

Got my Classics Mikey and Raph from Amazon today. Man, these figures are so damn good. Pretty much my favorite plastic incarnation of the Turtles to date. Yes, even championing those beloved NECA versions. These Classics are a beautiful representation of the TMNT that I grew up with and worshiped as a kid, and I really hope that Playmates moves forward with the line to at least bring us a wave or two of villians and major secondary characters.

Also, my Mikey's eyes are looking straight ahead. Most of the ones I've seen around the net appear to be painted as if he were looking up at something. So that's a lucky get.

I really, really want a Donatello now to finish up the set. I seriously want to order one off Amazon, but I know I shouldn't. I know I'll get a Derpatello. But...maybe not? Agh, what to do, what to do.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Found a set of TMNT CLASSICS today! I only bought Don cause his eyes were pretty good, not great but better than most. The rest had silver smears on their heads (!?) and badly painted belt buckles, so I'll wait. Mikey has to be next, that is the best looking one!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Heroic Warrior
    Lord Anubis, what store did you find Classics in?
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Man View Post
    Got my Classics Mikey and Raph from Amazon today. Man, these figures are so damn good. Pretty much my favorite plastic incarnation of the Turtles to date. Yes, even championing those beloved NECA versions. These Classics are a beautiful representation of the TMNT that I grew up with and worshiped as a kid, and I really hope that Playmates moves forward with the line to at least bring us a wave or two of villians and major secondary characters.

Also, my Mikey's eyes are looking straight ahead. Most of the ones I've seen around the net appear to be painted as if he were looking up at something. So that's a lucky get.

I really, really want a Donatello now to finish up the set. I seriously want to order one off Amazon, but I know I shouldn't. I know I'll get a Derpatello. But...maybe not? Agh, what to do, what to do.
    I never got the NECA Turtles so I can make an opinion on them, but these Classics figures are awesome. Pictures do not do them justice.

They sort of remind me of my initial feelings to MOTUC when I first got them in hand. They feel sturdy and a very poseable.

My only concern is if we get characters in future waves then they will probably have to be bigger than the turtles if they are to maintain scale. I guess an inch bigger would get past that issue but I don't see how they will keep this price point on an even bigger figure.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternia Burning View Post
    Lord Anubis, what store did you find Classics in?
    ToysRUs in NY for 16.99 They were setup on a endcap in a display box on the shelf.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    ToysRUs in NY for 16.99 They were setup on a endcap in a display box on the shelf.
    Sweet, that most likely means more and more retail stores are going to get their shipments. I keep telling people these figures need to be seen in person to be believed how awesome they are. Pics do not do them justice

And I agree with the earlier post, it feels JUST like MOTUC did for . That nostalgic feeling combined with a satisfaction that they got the toys done right.

Ha, that sounds familiar

If you can see past the wonky eyes there is no denying how impressive these toys are. I haven't been this excited for TMNT in years. Prior to the announcement for the classics, my TMNT wish list was always for a super articulated toy line and so far this one has certainly delivered.

I know it sounds like a broken record now but a second wave is a must. I want to invest totally in to the line but I want to be sure Playmates is just as invested.

I wonder if I can start a "No, Casey? We Quit!" movement?

Sweet, that most likely means more and more retail stores are going to get their shipments. I keep telling people these figures need to be seen in person to be believed how awesome they are. Pics do not do them justice
    You're right they look WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better in person, my biggest problem is they are so close to the toon style and I'm not a big fan of that look for turtles. I'm still on the fence on getting these for that reason, the price and I KNOW if they come with other characters they won't be in scale. The Turtles were all about 4ft something, Shredder was if I recall 6ft tall bebop and rocksteady should be about 7. so I'm not 100% on getting these guys, I went and got the Nick ones..I LOVE them WAY more than I thought I would. It's a shame I HATE the shredder in that line and splinter and april, the foot soldier is ok, but I don't want foot without their master. I didn't see Krang in person yet.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

He is from South Africa, the international sales of TMNT are different then in America. I think Bandai will be selling it in the UK in 2013. No idea where else but its a licensing issue
    Exactly, list the the toylines you see on your shelves there and I'll tell you which ones we actually have here. No DC (not anymore anyways), no ThunderCats etc.

We have Ben 10, any major movie tie-in (right now its avengers and ASM toys clogging shelves), Star Wars, Power Rangers, WWE, Action Man.

If TMNT comes on regular TV here (ie not the pay channels/cable) then we will probably get the toys.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I forced myself to buy Kraang, but now that I have him I've actually warmed up to him a little bit. (His head could look better)
    That leaves Splinter as the worst figure. I just pretend he's a new character, the Shogun Kangaroo.

I'm definitely planning on buying the classic figures when I see them, but one at a time starting with Mikey.
    There's no need for me to grab all four them the first time I come across them.

Yeah I think its universal that Splinter stinks

LOL. As a figure, he doesn't really suck all that much. It's just too drastic of a character change. Maybe the cartoon will help give the figure some validity, but I doubt it.