Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 TMNT Classics and New Series Toy Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I love Casey Jones. He's one of my favorite TMNT characters by far. But he had a very small role in the old cartoon. He was in, what, two episodes I think? So it makes me wonder if they'll be putting him in Classics since it's based on that cartoon. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it! But I wonder if they'll focus on figures like Shredder, Splinter, Krang, April, Bebop, Rocksteady, and the Foot Soldiers first.

Shredder and Splinter seem automatic. I would hope that April wouldn't be made, but she might. If nothing else, villains would be needed to support Shredder. How can you have 4 turtles + April + Casey + Splinter going against Shredder all by himself?

There's also a question of whether wave 2 would include 4 figures. Just because the first wave did doesn't mean the second wave will. The first wave had shared parts. They may go the Bandai route with smaller waves.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; November 19, 2012 at 12:08pm.
    If you'll be my enemy, I'll be your enemy, too.

I love Casey Jones. He's one of my favorite TMNT characters by far. But he had a very small role in the old cartoon. He was in, what, two episodes I think? So it makes me wonder if they'll be putting him in Classics since it's based on that cartoon. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it! But I wonder if they'll focus on figures like Shredder, Splinter, Krang, April, Bebop, Rocksteady, and the Foot Soldiers first.
    He was in 5 episodes, but there is more hope for him to cross promote with his 2nd season appearance and 4" figure that will come from that. So if we get a Wave 3 or 4 I can definitely see him in there

I bet its Splinter, Shredder, 2x Foot Soldiers. I would really like to see Krang though
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I fear that they will screw up Splinter, their track record with him doesn't seem to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I fear that they will screw up Splinter, their track record with him doesn't seem to be very good.
    their shredder track record is pretty lousy too, IMO
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post

I'm not really sure why that is, he's got your basic humanoid body type Adding in articulation shouldn't be a problem.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Shredder and Splinter seem automatic. I would hope that April wouldn't be made, but she might. If nothing else, villains would be needed to support Shredder. How can you have 4 turtles + April + Casey + Splinter going against Shredder all by himself?

There's also a question of whether wave 2 would include 4 figures. Just because the first wave did doesn't mean the second wave will. The first wave had shared parts. They may go the Bandai route with smaller waves.
    Well, the simple answer is "he's the Shredder."

I hope we do get April. She's a very important character, and I absolutely want a figure of her.

Since wave 1 was the 4 turtles, which basically just reused the same body, I almost wouldn't be surprised if the next wave is only 2 figures. Since all of the other characters will have to be more unique, they'll cost more money to produce.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Super Shredder is still my favorite Shredder figure ever. I also really liked the one with the removable vac-metal armor pieces from the 2003 line.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; November 19, 2012 at 04:47pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I would make Tokka as part of wave 2. Didn't he use the same body as slash?

Indeed, but he was only in the second live-action movie. Tokka and Rhazar were basically the movie versions of Bebop and Rocksteady. I highly doubt we see those two in Classics, unless they eventually branch out to include more than just the classic cartoon.

I love Tokka, though!

Slash was my favorite

Have they explicitly stated that all figures will come from the cartoon?

Slash was my favorite

Have they explicitly stated that all figures will come from the cartoon?
    I think so. At least, that's the impression I got. I suppose I could be wrong though.

I plan to ask them all sorts of questions in February when I'm at Toy Fair. I just hope Playmates doesn't schedule their Press event at the exact same time as Mattel's again like they did last year. If they do, I'll miss it again since I have MOTUC obligations for this site that have to come first.

Indeed, but he was only in the second live-action movie. Tokka and Rhazar were basically the movie versions of Bebop and Rocksteady. I highly doubt we see those two in Classics, unless they eventually branch out to include more than just the classic cartoon.

I love Tokka, though!
    Tokka and Rhazar did appear in one episode of the classic cartoon as well, but yeah, I doubt they will make figures of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Tokka and Rhazar did appear in one episode of the classic cartoon as well, but yeah, I doubt they will make figures of them.
    Oh yeah! i totally forgot about that! Cool!

Well, the simple answer is "he's the Shredder."

I hope we do get April. She's a very important character, and I absolutely want a figure of her.

Since wave 1 was the 4 turtles, which basically just reused the same body, I almost wouldn't be surprised if the next wave is only 2 figures. Since all of the other characters will have to be more unique, they'll cost more money to produce.

- - - Updated - - -

Super Shredder is still my favorite Shredder figure ever. I also really liked the one with the removable vac-metal armor pieces from the 2003 line.
    2003 was their best shredder but still not that great. When I first saw shredder i thought he looked so badass, but they NEVER produced a toy that captured that look. well the horsemen did but we all know what happened with that one (thanks NECA and playmates!)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

http://pmo.bumpheli.com/wp-content/u...romedotcom.jpg
    Yeah unless it becomes like MOTUC that will never happen, given the cost to produce the classics I think it will be major characters only
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I would have to think a Foot Soldier is likely, with troop building logic, they could sell a ton. I'd have to think Shredder, Splinter and April are shoo-ins, at least.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I think one of the problems there will be is how the 80s cartoon often didn't do much with other wise major characters. Casey Jones as shown only showed up in a few episodes but in all the other media is a pretty important character.

I also think they have to be careful moving forward, if they do want to insert some of the other characters in there. Lesser known characters can do well but not when that is all that is coming out at the time. I would also be curious if they started doing some of the more popular variants to help fill in.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I would also be curious if they started doing some of the more popular variants to help fill in.
    For almost $20 a figure and limited retail space I am not sure how many variants they can do, sure it reuses the turtle mold but the wrong choice could become the Spin Blade/Smash Blade of TMNT

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    For almost $20 a figure and limited retail space I am not sure how many variants they can do, sure it reuses the turtle mold but the wrong choice could become the Spin Blade/Smash Blade of TMNT

And my thought was more if they do go with lesser known characters. It largely depends on how long they would like to drag it out, and if they started some kind of online exclusives. But they would also have to be careful how they handled that.

I have also wondered if retail has been reluctant not just because of shelf space but what happened with Thundercats. But I also think MOTUC could do decent at retail if they just stuck more with 'essential' type characters. I would like to see more lines go with a two fold approach, retail having the more recognizeable figures and online having lesser known figures with there being no difference in packaging etc.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    And my thought was more if they do go with lesser known characters. It largely depends on how long they would like to drag it out, and if they started some kind of online exclusives. But they would also have to be careful how they handled that.
    I think with the success of the SDCC Staction Leo they could go that route, its obvious demand would be there I think

I have also wondered if retail has been reluctant not just because of shelf space but what happened with Thundercats. But I also think MOTUC could do decent at retail if they just stuck more with 'essential' type characters. I would like to see more lines go with a two fold approach, retail having the more recognizeable figures and online having lesser known figures with there being no difference in packaging etc.
    Yeah figures at that price point are hard to sell, just look at the amount of pegwarming DCUC and Marvel Legends and mix it in with how badly Thundercats died I can understand retail being shy.

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yeah figures at that price point are hard to sell, just look at the amount of pegwarming DCUC and Marvel Legends and mix it in with how badly Thundercats died I can understand retail being shy.

My understanding is that Marvel Legends sell well. And the DCUC figures I see at retail are always completely obscure characters I have never heard of before (ie. "Catman"), so I don't know if those are good examples to draw from. A better example might be the Predator line, and those seem to sell well, albeit at TRU only.

My understanding is that Marvel Legends sell well. And the DCUC figures I see at retail are always completely obscure characters I have never heard of before (ie. "Catman"), so I don't know if those are good examples to draw from. A better example might be the Predator line, and those seem to sell well, albeit at TRU only.
    I think Marvel Legends sold really well at first, but now they are pegwarming. And it's not just obscure characters with that line. You can pretty much find all of Wave 2 and most of Wave 1 easily if you check around the local stores. So idunno.

The most peg-warmiest DCUC figure I have ever seen is Power-Girl. My local Wal-Mart had pegs and pegs of her for like 2 years straight. Crazy.

ThunderCats has to be the best example of a line that might be making the retailers shy, no doubt about it. But I definitely think there is truth to the fact that $20 action figures don't sell as well in retail. That's why I still feel that MOTUC would not work in retail. And thus, I feel that TMNTC will be very limited with what they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see that line only give us those few core characters, then stop.

ThunderCats has to be the best example of a line that might be making the retailers shy, no doubt about it. But I definitely think there is truth to the fact that $20 action figures don't sell as well in retail. That's why I still feel that MOTUC would not work in retail. And thus, I feel that TMNTC will be very limited with what they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see that line only give us those few core characters, then stop.
    Yeah, its hard to say with Playmates. I mean they obviously know the sales for Classics are there in the online world as they themselves can't keep them in stock on their own webstore and indie retailers like me are put on wait lists for new cases by our distributors.

I would understand being gunshy about regular retail but when the entire online retail world is begging you for product I think its time to re-evaluate your thoughts on the line lol

I think as long as they stick to major/recognizable characters we should get at least 4-6 waves out of it. Which would not be too bad as most TMNT fans can only name about 12-15 "core" characters anyway.

I would not be upset if we only got the 4 Turtles, April, Casey, Bebop, Rocksteady, Shredder, Splinter, Foot Soldier, and Krang.

That's a good list, and I'd be happy with that as well.

I would like to see this line go strong and start giving us some more obscure characters at some point, so I hope I'm not giving a fals impression here. I was just trying to look at the whole thing logically, and also not set myself up for any dissapointment again *coughThunderCats*cough*

Heck, if this line gives us a few really strong waves and shows no signs of stopping, you bet I'll be starting up a Mosquitor-like campaign to get Mutagen Man included int he line! He's my "Mosquitor" of the original TMNT toy line, and he did make one episode appearance. So bring him on!

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    What, no love for Usagi Yojimbo as a Classic figure? The man (rabbit) single handedly whooped the turtles asses

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    What, no love for Usagi Yojimbo as a Classic figure? The man (rabbit) single handedly whooped the turtles asses
    Did Usagi show up in the cartoon? I know he showed up in the 200x series, and was in both toy lines, but also know he comes from his own comic. So I don't know if there are rights issues or not.

Plus, again, thus far the Classics line only seems to be based on the original cartoon. So if he wasn't in it, I wouldn't count on him. At least not right away.