Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 TMNT Classics and New Series Toy Thread

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Did Usagi show up in the cartoon? I know he showed up in the 200x series, and was in both toy lines, but also know he comes from his own comic. So I don't know if there are rights issues or not.

Plus, again, thus far the Classics line only seems to be based on the original cartoon. So if he wasn't in it, I wouldn't count on him. At least not right away.
    Wow Dan, it's time you had an original series refresher, lol. There was an episode simple called "Usagi Yojimbo," let alone the character appearing in another episode called "Usagi Come Home." At first, Shredder found him and convinced him that the turtles were evil, so Usagi beat them all at the same time. Then in the next Shredder black mailed him over something (his rabbit girlfriend?) and Usagi once again proceeded to beat the turtles asses, lol.

The first time I ever even heard of the character, before his episodes aired, was from his figure from the original line:

That's a good list, and I'd be happy with that as well.

I would like to see this line go strong and start giving us some more obscure characters at some point, so I hope I'm not giving a fals impression here. I was just trying to look at the whole thing logically, and also not set myself up for any dissapointment again *coughThunderCats*cough*

Heck, if this line gives us a few really strong waves and shows no signs of stopping, you bet I'll be starting up a Mosquitor-like campaign to get Mutagen Man included int he line! He's my "Mosquitor" of the original TMNT toy line, and he did make one episode appearance. So bring him on!

Mutagen Man would be a great one.

I still haven't replaced my long lost mutagen man with a new one, he's a bit expensive and I'm trying to to find one that hasn't discolored and is still clear. He's very high on my wanted list though.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    Wow Dan, it's time you had an original series refresher, lol.
    This is definitely truth. There is a lot I remember from it, but also a lot I don't. I want to buy that new DVD set that just came out. That will help.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I have a feeling there is a rights issue with him though, it might not be a huge rights issue but they would probably opt for another character that won't cost them any licensing money.

Though I would encourage as many characters as possible, the sculpting/design on toys now is so good that we could really get the figures we "wanted" as kids to look cartoon like! Though with the TMNT line they looked pretty close in the 80's and 200x
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I'm loving my Classics and pray that we at least get:

April
    Splinter
    Shredder
    Bebop
    Rocksteady
    Krang

...and I'd love to see us get as far as:

Casey
    Baxter (fly)
    Mousers
    Foot Soldiers
    Slash
    Metalhead
    Traag

...and if we got:

Usagi
    Muckman
    Mondo Gecko
    Ace Duck

...I'd be thrilled!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I'm loving my Classics and pray that we at least get:

April
    Splinter
    Shredder
    Bebop
    Rocksteady
    Krang

...and I'd love to see us get as far as:

Casey
    Baxter (fly)
    Mousers
    Foot Soldiers
    Slash
    Metalhead
    Traag

...and if we got:

Usagi
    Muckman
    Mondo Gecko
    Ace Duck

...I'd be thrilled!
    I would add the Rat King and Leatherhead to this list, too. I think that the Rat King is my favorite character.

ThunderCats has to be the best example of a line that might be making the retailers shy, no doubt about it. But I definitely think there is truth to the fact that $20 action figures don't sell as well in retail. That's why I still feel that MOTUC would not work in retail. And thus, I feel that TMNTC will be very limited with what they do. I wouldn't be surprised to see that line only give us those few core characters, then stop.
    And I will say I only say decent for MOTUC, because I think the figures would sell if they just stuck with essential characters at retail. He-man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Beastman... Something more like a one year blitz on figures have a couple released at a time type of thing.

And I think part of the problem with 20 bucks isn't the cost but the sharp increase over the last few years. Figures we spend 15-20 bucks on today would have cost 7-10 less than ten years ago.

Also with DCUC and even Marvel Legends, there is/was sketchy distribution. For some reason I never see first waves of most lines like that, they are also real bad with retailer exclusive waves/figures that you might be surprised how many people don't have easy access to.

I do think Thundercats was the best example as it was a line that was easy (for the most part) to get for people. But possibly also the worst, because TMNT tends to do fairly well on toy aisles, and gets rebooted every few years.

There is also always that unknown factor of will people buy it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    And I will say I only say decent for MOTUC, because I think the figures would sell if they just stuck with essential characters at retail. He-man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Beastman... Something more like a one year blitz on figures have a couple released at a time type of thing.

I don't really agree. You can already get "major characters" on Ebay for roughly $30. You can take your time, getting one figure every few months or just a few figures a year, whatever.

I have almost nothing from the line myself. I haven't been a fan. I would have wanted the figures to fit in with the originals that I have now, instead of being 3 inches taller. Also would have wanted gobs of Filmation characters. The line has been a huge disappointment for me. I took my TRU 2-packs back to the store for a refund, and sold off Battle Cat and a few other figures. I don't bother with it anymore.

You can get a few of them on the Matty website for fairly cheap (depending on the random shipping fees). I am not saying it would make them easier to get. It's more of a general public thing, and when I say decent I mean they would sell, but probably out at first then slowly creep to peg warm. There would be a downside of course in that it would possibly create greater brand awareness which could make having a subscription for certain figures more necessary.

To put it another way, I don't think it would break any sales records if they did put stuff to retail especially at this point.

I think alot of people also forget, 200x line was doing very well at first. DCUC was doing quite well at first... well it lasted 20 waves at retail that's actually pretty good. It was around the time the waves became the walmart wave, the target wave, the kmart wave for the year and they started getting more and more obscure (general public) characters that the line started having problems. Also the fact that most people only have so much space.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I have been buying some Transformers lately, and it really seems like you get more for your money with these, ie. huge 10" Robot + nice vehicle.

I would really have a hard time justifying paying $20 for MOTUC at this point, especially since they all use the same basic body.
    Disappointing figures like Battle Cat and the Sorceress only exacerbate the situation.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't touch them if they came to retail.

Mattel has been very small time with the line. The original stratos could have included both red and blue wings (since he came with no weapon), and they cheaped out and tried to force people to buy him twice. I'm avoiding contact with Mattel on ethical grounds.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; November 22, 2012 at 11:04am.

And that is another issue really. It's hard to divorce our own feelings towards the line, we tend to think most people think like we do or have the same reasons we had for not liking something (Thundercats being an example, there were multiple reasons and not everyone had the same one[s]). But it's kind of like the whole Geeks/Nerds like electronic style music, because of computers thing. Most geeky nerdy types I knew growing up (excluding myself) couldn't stand that kind of music.

I think for the 30 anniversary they could do 3-4 figure quarter based waves and probably move the product, and have 30th anniversary stamped on the packaging for MOC collectors to help boost sells.

but bringing it back to the Turtles. How well will the classics continue to sell? Using Thundercats as an example again the line did very well at first then died out. Now one difference is I was seeing quite a bit of stuff that had been opened and buyers weren't satisfied (or needed money) and reselling opened figures weeks after purchasing them. Classics had the problem of size change also.

I have held off on picking them up at this point for the following reasons. One no local TRU. Two there was the whole Donatello eye issue, so ordering online was sketchy, three this came out during the no buy window for me so people can get Christmas for me.
    Last edited by wyldman11; November 22, 2012 at 11:13am.

There is no way to really know how Classics will sell since 95% of stores do not carry the SKU. Online retailers though sell out every time including Playmates. Its a hard metric to gauge but I can tell you as a retailer its rare that I have a "new" toy I am not allowed to buy because stock does not exist. This does not happen with major lines, Playmates seriously underestimated demand imho.

Thundercats was not even in the same league sales wise, "doing well early" means it did well for about 2 months. TMNT has been selling out for me and others since they hit in August. Given the fact TRU is almost completely sold out of Sewers and Playmates has already shifted towards a full blown Wave 2 (or Wave 3 if you consider the 3 character revision a Wave 2) in less than 6 months I would say that it has already passed safely over the line into consistent seller.

As long as Playmates does not overproduce and minimizes the "eye" error that plagued the first release I think the Classics will be around for a few more waves. Even if it does less at retail I think they could successfully transition to a online system ala MOTUC with the Classics, their website is capable of handling the business. They already have an idea of an online only baseline since I would argue 3/4 of the Classics have been sold by online retailers.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I think for the 30 anniversary they could do 3-4 figure quarter based waves and probably move the product, and have 30th anniversary stamped on the packaging for MOC collectors to help boost sells.
    I don't know that doing small, occasional waves would actually yield enough profit to make the whole pursuit worthwhile. Of course, it would be more worthwhile if people then subscribe for more figures, but otherwise, it doesn't seem like they would be worth the effort. That might explain why haven't done it. If you look at the major lines (star wars, transformers, turtles, etc.), they are selling a slew of products - not just a few figures here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I don't know that doing small, occasional waves would actually yield enough profit to make the whole pursuit worthwhile. Of course, it would be more worthwhile if people then subscribe for more figures, but otherwise, it doesn't seem like they would be worth the effort. That might explain why haven't done it. If you look at the major lines (star wars, transformers, turtles, etc.), they are selling a slew of products - not just a few figures here and there.
    And while those lines are having quite a bit of a product out, many lines don't do much differently than what I said and last for a bit. You also have the movie line issue which comes out with a metric butt ton of stuff but doesn't seem to do that well.

But I didn't say they should, I just said if they did they would do decently. To me decently is getting a C+ on a test or report card, you did well enough to pass but you didn't do great either. and most other people I hear use it in that it's positive but could be much better.

I will say for sure, if MOTU was to go back to retail right now they should start off a bit lower. Star Wars, Transformers are currently built off of years of products. But then I hear G.I. Joe isn't doing that well anymore in comparison.

Back to the TMNT, I know it would be hard to tell how well it would do at retail. My statements were more just personal issues as I stated. While I am not overly picky on the figures I get, I see paint globs etc and tend to just shrug it off with at least I have the figure(s), I do try to minimize it when I can. The eye thing would probably bug me, because while I don't go over my figures with a magnifying glass daily something like that would stick out even in general display. Maybe Santa will be nice this year

Despite the initial success, I can't picture the Classics line going much past the main characters.

Back to the TMNT, I know it would be hard to tell how well it would do at retail. My statements were more just personal issues as I stated. While I am not overly picky on the figures I get, I see paint globs etc and tend to just shrug it off with at least I have the figure(s), I do try to minimize it when I can. The eye thing would probably bug me, because while I don't go over my figures with a magnifying glass daily something like that would stick out even in general display. Maybe Santa will be nice this year

Having seen some googly-eyed Donatello's in person, I can assure you they were not acceptable.
    And so I waited about a month before picking him up.
    I've still got them all MOC, so repainting is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Despite the initial success, I can't picture the Classics line going much past the main characters.
    About the only way I could see it really happening is if they were to show those characters in the new show and hope that kids would then buy their "classic" versions. But yeah I still stick to my original assessment we will get 3-6 waves to complete what most people know as the "core" TMNT line

And man oh man is TMNT hot, we went to 8 stores last night and each was completely wiped out of 4" TMNT. I am sure they have more in the back but its nice to see barren shelves in this economy

I don't think thundercats as a brand is as popular as geeks and nerds make it out to be. the cartoon and toyline (original) came and went and none of it REALLY became household names. it was remembered fondly but i think quickly abandoned. now that's not to say it has ZERO fanbase, it has one for sure, but it didn't make the same impact as he-man, transformers gi joe star wars etc. it's in a b class I think.

TMNT was HUGE and it's easy to revisit it, MOTU was huge and while it's easy to revisit, it's got the burden of have Mattel for it's parent.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Yay! TMNT toys have hit the UK - a big launch today got my 4 turtles and Shredder as well as a free goodie bag and t- shirt. Forbidden Planet are doing the launch today if anyone in UK is interested.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I don't think thundercats as a brand is as popular as geeks and nerds make it out to be. the cartoon and toyline (original) came and went and none of it REALLY became household names. it was remembered fondly but i think quickly abandoned. now that's not to say it has ZERO fanbase, it has one for sure, but it didn't make the same impact as he-man, transformers gi joe star wars etc. it's in a b class I think.

TMNT was HUGE and it's easy to revisit it, MOTU was huge and while it's easy to revisit, it's got the burden of have Mattel for it's parent.
    To be fair I have had to explain who Skeletor was more than my Thundercats logo shirt was to those under 18.

I have met many people who knew Thunder.. Thunder.. Thundercats HOOOOOO, and also knew By the Power of Greyskull.. I have the power.

But The real difference between us and the not geeks, we can name most of the characters mention plot lines without much effort because we actually watched the show. Non geeks watched episodes here and there and struggle to remember character names and anything other than the catch phrase or theme song.

Case in point, many people our age wonder why He-man and She-ra never hooked up. When told they are siblings, they respond with no they aren't you explain the whole twin thing and being kidnapped and they respond with we must have watched different versions of the show (or you are told you got that from some online fan fiction). Now some of these when pushed will essentially tell you they are getting Teela and She-ra confused, in some cases they think She-ra is Teela after she used a power sword. Many however know the difference in She-ra and Teela and will still in insist they aren't siblings.

Others will tell you Thundercats was a spin off of He-man and will swear to you they saw the crossover episodes. I even had someone explain to me in great deal the episode how the Thundercats were reincarnations of the He-man characters. This wasn't one of those 'in my cannon' things either.

Others will be surprised when they have watched episodes of He-man that Teela was raised by Man-at-Arms and is the daughter of the Sorceress. Their minds will be further blown when you say MAA is her biological dad, of course they tend to respond with the that's kind of stupid that he raises her has a step dad.

With TMNT, I know people who thought Venus was the daughter of one of Turtles and April, when they see the opening sequence explaining other wise that is obviously some fanmade thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And my Hastings got in a set. I got all but Mikey, not sure if someone had already picked him up or he just wasn't put out.
    Last edited by wyldman11; November 24, 2012 at 10:18am.

I have completely lost interest in the three newest figures. I put them up on Ebay, heh.

Dogpound is ok, but Fishface and Metalhead both suck

To be fair I have had to explain who Skeletor was more than my Thundercats logo shirt was to those under 18.

I have met many people who knew Thunder.. Thunder.. Thundercats HOOOOOO, and also knew By the Power of Greyskull.. I have the power.

But The real difference between us and the not geeks, we can name most of the characters mention plot lines without much effort because we actually watched the show. Non geeks watched episodes here and there and struggle to remember character names and anything other than the catch phrase or theme song.

Case in point, many people our age wonder why He-man and She-ra never hooked up. When told they are siblings, they respond with no they aren't you explain the whole twin thing and being kidnapped and they respond with we must have watched different versions of the show (or you are told you got that from some online fan fiction). Now some of these when pushed will essentially tell you they are getting Teela and She-ra confused, in some cases they think She-ra is Teela after she used a power sword. Many however know the difference in She-ra and Teela and will still in insist they aren't siblings.

Others will tell you Thundercats was a spin off of He-man and will swear to you they saw the crossover episodes. I even had someone explain to me in great deal the episode how the Thundercats were reincarnations of the He-man characters. This wasn't one of those 'in my cannon' things either.

Others will be surprised when they have watched episodes of He-man that Teela was raised by Man-at-Arms and is the daughter of the Sorceress. Their minds will be further blown when you say MAA is her biological dad, of course they tend to respond with the that's kind of stupid that he raises her has a step dad.

With TMNT, I know people who thought Venus was the daughter of one of Turtles and April, when they see the opening sequence explaining other wise that is obviously some fanmade thing.

- - - Updated - - -

And my Hastings got in a set. I got all but Mikey, not sure if someone had already picked him up or he just wasn't put out.
    In my circles there is NO ONE that wouldn't know where my username comes from, on this board I think there are four people that do. my point on thundercats (which is based on pop culture mentions etc) is more general, people know thundercats but it NEVER reached he-man's levels of success. hell there is a teenager that asked my friend what a chewbacca was, and he explained it was from star wars, and the kid said "oh, I know Star Wars, Luke YOU ARE the Father!"

I still believe Tcats isn't as popular as fans believe it to be, even the hardcore couldn't keep the toyline or stactions a float for long. just my theories but based on SOME reason.

TMNT has the luxury over both brands by having been put out in the public eye no less than 8 times over the last 25 years or so.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I have completely lost interest in the three newest figures. I put them up on Ebay, heh.

Dogpound is ok, but Fishface and Metalhead both suck
    Fishface is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Fishface is awesome

I don't think so. His mouth doesn't open or close, and just looks goofy. His weapons are crap. The orange clashes with the already ugly prune color, etc. I wasn't a fan of fishface or metalhead from the first pics. I should have trusted my instincts and passed

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    In my circles there is NO ONE that wouldn't know where my username comes from, on this board I think there are four people that do. my point on thundercats (which is based on pop culture mentions etc) is more general, people know thundercats but it NEVER reached he-man's levels of success. hell there is a teenager that asked my friend what a chewbacca was, and he explained it was from star wars, and the kid said "oh, I know Star Wars, Luke YOU ARE the Father!"

I still believe Tcats isn't as popular as fans believe it to be, even the hardcore couldn't keep the toyline or stactions a float for long. just my theories but based on SOME reason.

TMNT has the luxury over both brands by having been put out in the public eye no less than 8 times over the last 25 years or so.
    I would put it more this way, He-man was probably generally speaking more popular in that it was more well liked but not in the way that Thundercats was disliked, but both are/were probably about the same level of being known.

Of course it can always be hard to say unless you are pretty neutral on the matter. Like a friend a few years ago had just moved from Lubbock TX, and mentioned that there seemed to be more Longhorn fans here then Tech fans. I told him as someone who doesn't really care, the are at best equal and Tech fans are more like numerous but not as vocal. The reason being in Highschool I remember hearing Tech this Tech that but barely anyone mention their state rivals. So chances are what happened is Longhorn fans became more 'vocal.'

The point there it could all be what you are looking for. I know Juno had a Thundercats reference, Reliant K have a song about the Thundercats so the references do exist off the top of my head.