Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I like the bios

Elder Councilman

I like the bios

I know a lot of people say the bios are written horribly.

What would you say if I told you I buy every item released....because I want them all carded, with those bios on the back?

Yes, I even plan on buying the first version of Evil-Lyn and Battleground Teela.....because of the bios.

I like having the story on the back; and I like the story a lot. No, it isn't perfect but I really like what they're trying to do with it, and I'm generally very much enjoying it.

Anyone else with me on this, or am I alone? If I am, I am...I can totally live with it.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    I'm with you!

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I like it for the most part. I'm simply ignoring the bits I don't like (cloned Teela, secret agent Orko etc.).
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I expect better.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

Heroic Warrior
    I'm just happy we get them at all. Easy to ignore if you don't like them, and a cool feature if you do.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i specially enjoy the POG bios

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I like the bios too - and if I don't really warm to a new idea in them, I just ignore it.

I think on the most part they have been good - so have the names. The only bio I feel is a missed opportunity is Fearless Photogs - they really could have been creative and linked Marlena to it.

I've got to say i'm with you on this one, i'm really enjoying the Bios I don't like all of them but i accept all what is written as the MOTUC canon and eager to learn more and more as the figures get released.

I just hope that if the line prematurely ends Mattel will release the entire story.

I think they're neat and give some interesting background information. I agree with some that there are some bios I don't care for, but honestly I don't get worked up about the ones I don't like. It's not like a bio I don't like makes the figure any less cool. Overall though I've been happy with them and do look forward to reading the new ones as they come out.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I'll say this as nicely as possible "to each their own"
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I ignore the bios, the are idiotic and very poorly written.

If it were because of the bios I wouldn't buy a single figure.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I like parts of the bios, other parts I don't care for, such as the Teela is a clone thing or the Sorceress dying. I also am not a fan of evil-lyn losing her poweers and time traveling, just to name a few. But in other cases, I think they work great.

I think that people are way to harsh with their criticisms though. The bios offer some enat ideas, and do make a good attempt at tying all of the various threads of MOTUC together. If you think about it, MOTU is a pretty confusing place because you have the mini comic version, the Filmation version, etc. Then toss in NA and 200X and It can really get wacky. So it's a pretty good attempt to tie it all together and acknowledge different fans. I hate the idea of Oo-lar being some different character, but others love it, so that works for me.

I also think that sometimes people get a bit unreasonable in their expectations. Toyguru basically gets a large paragraph to cram in as much as he can. He sure the heck doesn't get to be Tolkien. So I think when you look at it from that perspective and see the bios for what they are, short b lurbs of character information, he does a pretty good job.

Even if killing the Sorceress was dumb

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I like bios for action figure lines.

I enjoy the MOTUC bios, even if I don't agree with every plot point they come up with.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I love the bios, ESPECIALLY ones like Orko and Teela that either add a new layer to the story or re-incorporate lost/pre-Filmation elements. I love new concepts like He-Men through the ages and yes, even the idea of Skeletor possessd by Demo-Man. Are there some bios I would do differently? Of course! But I completely accept and support them for what they are and what they're trying to do. In fact, of all official canons, MOTUC is probably my favorite (even though my own personal canon is much different). If you're looking for great literary fiction on the back of a toy package, I think the problem is more with your own expectations than the bios themselves.

The bios are written on the back of a piece of garbage for a reason.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I prefer the bios that are Related to the character... Who he is and what does he do, like Stratos, Swift Wind or Icarius.
    Sometimes a few words in one bio can change it from good to What the HECK!? (Like Orko's)
    To me the worst Bios are the ones that are NOT about the character: Demo-Man comes to mind...

My biggest fear is how MOTUC Canon may have an effect on future Media...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now who shall I fight for?

IMO it's clear that the bio's are written by a person who is not a writer by trade. They read like fan-fiction and that's what they are. But if some people like them, I can deal with it if not everyone has the same opinion as me.

Heroic Warrior
    I hate the bios. I wish they never existed.

Yeah I'm cool with 'em. Some of them I like, some of them I don't. Doesn't effect me that much either way. I've always made up my own stories for any toys I got/bought so this isn't any different. I LOVE havin' things to cut out and keep from packages though, so I keep cutting out the bios and I've got 'em in a little alphabetized stack until I can figure out some sort of binder that can hold them. Not sure what will be good to use...
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    I think in some cases the bios are a little too long. I do enjoy them for the most part, I appreciate the idea of MOTU having a long continuing storyline that we've only really gotten before in NA and 200x (the filmation shows and comic versions were all kinda disjointed).

I wish that many of them didn't have as much going on though. By trying to turn the cardbacks into a story you end up with some that try to do too much. I would have liked more of an outline, with specifics to be filled in by the imagination.

There are a few issues here -

I think most of us can agree that even if you like the content of the bios, they are are poorly written (in a language sense).
    They are often unclear and very poorly phrased and worded.

I find them very interesting, and have paid attention to the history that they are setting up, but I don't particularly like them.

That's great. Regardless of my own opinions, I'm really happy that others are enjoying the bios and the developing storyline.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    What would you say if I told you I buy every item released....because I want them all carded, with those bios on the back?
    I would say you're probably alone, or very close to it.
    Quality is always subjective, true, but the bios are just not generally liked.

And in my personal opinion, most people who say they like them do only because they're the only MotU "stories" out there currently, and if given options, these bios would be liked by even fewer.

Heroic Warrior
    I also really like the bios. The writing is not Shakespeare, but it is on par with many other supplemental works of fiction such as the story lines to the magic the gathering card game. In general i have quite a bit of fun with them and hope they keep telling the story they are working on.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    I would say, "Cool, Kinger". And then move on...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!