Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battleground Shadow Weaver support thread!

Heroic Warrior

Battleground Shadow Weaver support thread!

With all the crazy prices going around on Evil-Bay for the crimson mistress at the moment I thought it might be nice to start a support thread for a variant of Shadow Weaver NOT identical to the one offered as the 2012 sub exclusive.

I start by proposing a second head:

therealsw.jpg

Post some ideas here of what you think would make this variant warranted.

Scott already said they will not make Shadow Weaver in any other form. She was the 2012 sub exclusive and thats that.
    So don't waste your time with this. Light spinner is on the table but no second Shadow Weaver head.

Unless the subscription model falls apart and Matty isn't looking to pull in subscribers in subsequent years, offering Shadow Weaver again in any form remotely similar to her real look doesn't make business sense. Mattel wants her to hit record high prices and stay up there so resellers buy in next year for subscription exclusive Ram Man.

I will only accept a naked Shadow Weaver MOTUC figure. In fact, if it isn't made, I'm quitting the line.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    Unless the subscription model falls apart and Matty isn't looking to pull in subscribers in subsequent years, offering Shadow Weaver again in any form remotely similar to her real look doesn't make business sense. Mattel wants her to hit record high prices and stay up there so resellers buy in next year for subscription exclusive Ram Man.
    This.

On the one hand, since I usually subscribe, it doesn't affect me personally, but I hate that those who can't afford, or don't want every figure are getting shut out in the cold, so to speak. It's garbage.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink View Post
    With all the crazy prices going around on Evil-Bay for the crimson mistress at the moment I thought it might be nice to start a support thread for a variant of Shadow Weaver NOT identical to the one offered as the 2012 sub exclusive.

I start by proposing a second head:

therealsw.jpg

Post some ideas here of what you think would make this variant warranted.
    Interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I will only accept a naked Shadow Weaver MOTUC figure. In fact, if it isn't made, I'm quitting the line.
    If that happened I just might take a likeing to the character.

Closest thing we'll get are the 200x wraiths.

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    I say bring on the wraiths! In a multipack!!!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Heroic Warrior
    I'd be up for Horde Wraiths & Light Spinner! I'd be OK with a possible Shadow Weaver Variant down the road as well.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

The problem with a character like Shadow Weaver who was created for the cartoon and was not really in other forms of media, is they don't have any real variant looks. Other then light spinner which would be more like a Keldor vs Skeletor, arguable a different character. She had a face and legs so she would be very different.

Using a highly demanded character as the sub exclusive was bad enough but one that has no really variants is even worse. It'll be just the same next year if they go with Scorpia, Octavia, or any Filmation character. Ram-Man, could have variants, in color deco if nothing else, although that defeats the "exclusive" aspect in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Closest thing we'll get are the 200x wraiths.
    It was quite clear that the wraiths were male so Mattel would have to "make" a female wraith to have a character close to SW. Since Mattel was not willing to do that before they had the rights, I feel that it's even less likely now that they do.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Heroic Warrior
    True, the Wraiths were male but I want them in figure form just the same! They could be Shadow Weaver's Minions!

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    On the one hand, since I usually subscribe, it doesn't affect me personally, but I hate that those who can't afford, or don't want every figure are getting shut out in the cold, so to speak. It's garbage.

Yea, but the unfortunate truth is that one feeds in to the other. Having her in the subscription served ONE real purpose and ONE only, to make you buy a sub.

They aren't doing it to **** people off or because they have nothing else to do. They want you to buy the sub. point blank. What better way to do that? Use a figure that every wants as the lure.

"If" they don't do things like that and appease every one, the result in turn only hurts them. Despite people saying that they could make a killing on her via sale day, I'm sure they crunched the numbers and it simply wasn't as profitable as most think vs. subs.

From a business perspective I can't blame them one bit. I'd also most certainly expect to see this as a trend to come with high demand figures as the exclusive. I'd bet that the days of a Bank Robber He-Man caliber figure are dead and over as "that" is like having no incentive at all.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    Yea, but the unfortunate truth is that one feeds in to the other. Having her in the subscription served ONE real purpose and ONE only, to make you buy a sub.

They aren't doing it to **** people off or because they have nothing else to do. They want you to buy the sub. point blank. What better way to do that? Use a figure that every wants as the lure.

"If" they don't do things like that and appease every one, the result in turn only hurts them. Despite people saying that they could make a killing on her via sale day, I'm sure they crunched the numbers and it simply wasn't as profitable as most think vs. subs.

From a business perspective I can't blame them one bit. I'd also most certainly expect to see this as a trend to come with high demand figures as the exclusive. I'd bet that the days of a Bank Robber He-Man caliber figure are dead and over as "that" is like having no incentive at all.
    I agree completely, especially now that they have stated that MOTUC is moving even closer to being Sub-Only.

While I also hate that people who want Shadow Weaver but didn't subscribe will have a harder/more expensive process to acquire her, it's not as if everyone who knew about the Line prior to Sub Sales Cutoff didn't have a shot at getting her. It's not like Mattel held back Shadow Weaver's Suc Exclusive Reveal until after Sub Sales were over. (Can anyone imagine the uproar that would cause? Revealing the Exclusive after the point of no return?!) Anyone familiar with the particulars of MOTUC prior to the Cutoff had all the information and had to make a decision that best suited their circumstances, either:

A. Take the Sub & whatever may come with it to ensure a Shadow Weaver, or

B. Pass on the Sub & hope to get a decent deal for Shadow Weaver on the secondary market.

Everyone had to make their own decision regarding the matter along with dealing with the various repercussion of that decision.

Hopefully everyone that wants a Shadow Weaver can get her without being raked through the coals.

Long Live MOTU!!!!
    Now & Forever!!!!

Yes the wraiths would be male or maybe adroginous, but they'd be her minions anyway.

I think Eric of the Horsemen mention they would have done the wraith if Shadow Weaver wasn't possible.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd happily purchase a "Light Spinner" with alternate "evil witch" head and removeable "Horde" symbol belt. Or a female 200X Shadow Wraith.

But, I think either is incredibly unlikely. As such, I'll go back to saving my pennies to purchase a Shadow Weaver on the secondary market.

Heroic Warrior
    The point I was making was more towards getting Syrax and the alt. "corrupted" Light Spinner head- I wouldn't even care if they chose to just call her Light Spinner and include the head regardless and Syrax so I can attach it to the SW I already have. There is no bloody way I'm going to pay aftermarket for a figure I will already have through the sub.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    i have zero interest in a BG Shadow Weaver... But I'd buy a 'SPIRIT OF SHADOW WEAVER' translucent version anytime!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I think they should just wait a couple of years, and then re-release Shadow Weaver.

It doesn't seem fair to me to deny fans of the character the chance to get her just because they don't want, or can't afford, a subscription. If she was released in 2014, then sub holders would have had her in hand for two years - which seems more than enough for an exclusive.

And I say this as a subscriber. I'll be getting a Shadow Weaver in a couple of weeks. It doesn't somehow diminish my collection, or my appreciation of the character, if non-subscribers can also lay hands on it.

That said I think a Light Spinner character with all the parts to make a Shadow Weaver, would also be a cool figure to get at some point.

I would love a BG Shadow Weaver or Light Spinner variant.

BG Shadow Weaver should look like the concept drawing somebody had floating around a few years ago with black on the outfit and different accessorries.

Light Spinner would be awesome, and she could probably reuse the Marlena dress with minimal retooling. An alternate head would be awesome if it gave us a "transformed" version of Shadow Weaver's face.

I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't think there should be a re-release of the exact same version of Shadow Weaver (unless the line went to retail or something, and she was part of a multi-pack or something that still made her different from the original.)

Here's another option for Light Spinner.

I think if the fan demand is high enough, they'll figure something out and rerelease her in an altered form (possibly a more saturated red, more orange-colored show-accurate belt and different accessories)--previous comments and sacrosanct exclusivity policies be damned. But for right now, they've sold "enough" subs, so it remains to be seen if there's a continuing demand for the character after the sub-holders get her. I don't know why anyone thinks Toyguru's comments about the nature of the exclusive mean anything, he's changed his tune before and about the exclusives being nonessential even. It's about money. If they think they will make more money by releasing some variation, they will. The same would be true for Ram Man, who even has two classic color schemes anyway so built in variant if needed. I would hope the demand, if it's there, is not created by defects in the figure we're already getting though. I need them to get one major female character "right" on her first release. Catra was pretty good, flimsy hand aside, so here's hoping Horde ladies are the best ladies!

All that said, I'm skeptical that they will make a Lightspinner figure (she'd need to be more than just a new head I think) for the regular sub when the original was exclusive. Have we seen Gray yet after He-Ro was an exclusive? Keldor had support because he played a significant part in the 2002 cartoon, but Lightspinner was only ever seen either in a few long-ago comic panels and from a distance in the cartoon. I mean I've wanted characters with less presence in media (ahem), but look how much of a hassle it's been to justify characters like that? You know I want every character, but for this I wouldn't hold my breath.

Syrax would be a cool new accessory by the way. The birds have all been kind of small, but he'd be pretty cool. I wonder if he could share parts with Clawbber from NA. Perhaps they can include him with the Horde Wizards or Dark Riders!
    Last edited by gbagok; February 4, 2012 at 07:58am.

Wishful thinking.

It saddens me that I will more than likely never own Shadow Weaver, unless I happen to come into a lot of money unexpectedly!

I agree that using Shadow Weaver as the sub exclusive was a good move. Matty never really did this before - use a highly demanded character to lure more subscribers. Wundar and PE He-Man did not inspire me to want a sub, and I hope in the future Matty uses more high-demanded characters as the sub exclusive. It just makes marketing sense.

As for a SW variant, I don't think it's off the table. MOTUC has made many twists and turns since its inception - at one point, Filmation was totally off the table. And now that it's ON the table, the game has totally changed. So we can never say never. That being said, if and when we get to a SW variant (most likely due to fan demand), we can get the 200x version of her - as some people say looking more like the Shadow Wraiths. Horde Prime himself is more or less 200x Hordak, so a 200x SW is not too far into left field.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

There actually are two or three viable variants for her that would allow Mattel to reuse the tooling.

I do want a Light-Spinner. I'd even take an alternate colored Shadow Weaver; maybe one in all black with the red emblem?

Or maybe an Empress Shadow Weaver for the classics canon when Skeletor defeats Hordak? She could oppose Skeletor for control of the Horde. She could resemble one of Emiliano's or Gbagok's concepts for Shadow Weaver.

So 3 by my count:

1. Light-Spinner
    2. Alt colored Shadow Weaver - All black with Horde emblem
    3. Empress Shadow Weaver - 200x-ish version.

I'd buy all three variants in a heartbeat and they don't lessen the sub exclusive Filmation version we got.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; February 4, 2012 at 10:50am.

I support the idea of a BG Shadow Weaver variant/redeco. Perhaps in the brighter Prototype colors to make her cartoon accurate. Swap her current accessories with two "shadow coils" that clip on to her arms (maybe a new open right hand). That way the Sub Weaver stays exclusive and everyone can get a Weaver... Just like they did with King Grayskull. The Santa Grayskull does not diminish the Original KG.
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.