Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Did Toyguru Last Tell Us that Mattel Does not Have the Rights to the 1987 Film?

Heroic Warrior

When Did Toyguru Last Tell Us that Mattel Does not Have the Rights to the 1987 Film?

Hey guys,

It's the run up to SDCC 2012, so it is a good time for some speculation. Based on some threads and other information, I think it is highly likely that a major announcement at SDCC is that Mattel has secured the rights from WB to make figures based on the 1987 movie besides Blade, Gwildor, and Saurod.

• The name Kevin has been trademarked by Mattel: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield...010:134soi.4.2
    • DC comics, a subsidiary of WB, is producing two Masters comic series
    • Geoff Johns, a high ranking person at DC and thus, has some kind of connection to WB execs, is writing one issue of this comic and has a 30th anniversary character he created in the line
    • The last line of the second mini comic is from the movie
    • Mattel is the producer of DC Comics action figures (another WB connection)

Maybe there are others, but doesn't this seem to be quite a collection of coincidences that point us in the direction of movie rights? I don't see Scott denying it, as he is wont to do when managing expectations. When was the last time he denied movie rights? Scott, can you confirm that Mattel still lacks access to the 1987 movie characters besides the ones produced in the classic line?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

All good points. My only word of caution would be that Kevin was also the name of a minor Barbie character way back in the day, so it's always possible he's making a comeback.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure Toyguru said Mattel did not have the movie rights last week. About Kevin, I truly believe that will be the "real name" for Songster as a HINT towards to movie (like how Adora got movie Teela's blaster, Capt. Marlena Glenn got movie He-Man's gun and Preternia Disguise He-Man got the movie "key."). TG said Warner Bros. laughed them out of their offices when he talked to them about the rights.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I'm even starting to worry a little about the 3 vintage movie figures as we haven't seen any one of them yet. Still, since Gwildor is TMed hopefully we're ok.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I'm pretty sure Toyguru said Mattel did not have the movie rights last week. About Kevin, I truly believe that will be the "real name" for Songster as a HINT towards to movie (like how Adora got movie Teela's blaster, Capt. Marlena Glenn got movie He-Man's gun and Preternia Disguise He-Man got the movie "key."). TG said Warner Bros. laughed them out of their offices when he talked to them about the rights.
    I know what Scott has said in the past about talking to WB execs, but that was a year ago or so. Maybe he has again confirmed recently that Mattel lacks movie rights, but I don't recall. I'm hoping Scott will pop in and say something on this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I'm starting to even be worried about the 3 vintage movie figures as we haven't seen any one of them yet. Still, since Gwildor is TMed hopefully we're ok.
    We have to have at least one of those 3 revealed at SDCC this year. It is the only major canon that does not yet have any representation at all in the figure line. Of course, if full movie rights have been secured, maybe we'll get a movie figure reveal that was not previously available (a 2-pack of Skeletor's stormtroopers would be great!). Scott did say that there would be a lot of surprises this year...
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

From June 24:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...76#post3049376

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    To manage expectations, we do NOT have rights to the 1987 movie and will not be announcing this at SDCC.

So, sadly, nothing more at this time. I REALLY hope they can make this work eventually. If the Blu Ray does well maybe they can give it another go.

I think we'll see Gwildor as a SDCC exclusive one year. He's kind of a one time use thing. I'm apprised Jim from the 4HM has not made a push for him as is he is a favourite of his.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we'll see Gwildor as a SDCC exclusive one year. He's kind of a one time use thing. I'm apprised Jim from the 4HM has not made a push for him as is he is a favourite of his.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Heroic Warrior
    As far as what has been said officially can be believed, the ONLY MOTU movie figures Mattel can produce right now are the 80's vintage MOTU movie figures, which means SAUROD, BLADE and GWILDOR.

Toyguru recently stated that Mattel still didn't have the rights to the 80's MOTU movie.

And about the "Kevin" name trademarked by Mattel... This is such an ordinary name that it could have been trademarked for any Mattel brand (or is there actually a MOTUC trademark for it that I'm unaware of ?).

I personally think it's highly unlikely we'll see any 87 MOTU movie figure revealed at SDCC, except maybe Saurod, Blade and/or Gwildor.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm even starting to worry a little about the 3 vintage movie figures as we haven't seen any one of them yet. Still, since Gwildor is TMed hopefully we're ok.
    No need to.

First things first. There's stilly plenty of vintage figures to get to. Or maybe we'll get another one or two protoype or concept figures in the the meantime.

Then there's blah blah blah shared parts blah blah action features blah blah blah

Thirdly, ToyGuru knows people want those figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    From June 24:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...76#post3049376

So, sadly, nothing more at this time. I REALLY hope they can make this work eventually. If the Blu Ray does well maybe they can give it another go.

Looks like I should have done some better searching. Sorry mods! I guess the thread should be locked.

BTW, Scott said that comment on 6/24, I suppose there is at least a miniscule chance that things could change before 7/13, but I'm not holding my breath...

I think Blade is the easiest to do at the moment. then Saurod as the snakemen warriors cover some of the necessary shared parts, I think we will see one of the tow at SDCC, I hope so at least.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I agree... I am also worried about these 3 movie figures. While I would LOVE to get movie versions of He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Skeletor, and Evil lyn... I would just be happy to the the 3 original movie figures made.
    ...but those I am starting to wonder if will EVER happen.

Got a feeling we'll see one of the 3 vintage movie figures, just because ToyGuru said something about this SDCC lineup being the most varied bunch of reveals yet.

We often to see some crazy variety in reveals, so one of these guys would add even more. So would a non-sub excl. Filmation character or something from the minicomics or one of the other comics or magazines they've got access to.

Well the movie is coming to Blu Ray, so what's to say that misdirection isn't being used until the movie falls closer to release to announce anything related. But then again there's still announcements for SDCC to come?????
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

And last year, TG also said they did not have Filmation rights right before sdcc....

Since Scott has never lied to us, I think we should ask him these type questions every month during Q&A. Eventually he will get the rights as I am sure he is continuously fighting to do so.

We already have some acesories from the movie.. So I think Mattel already have the rights to the movie and will eventually get to movie figs... Just not now!
    Sale/Trade//Feedback//MOTU Customs// MOTUC Albums//MOTU Fans Puerto Rico Chapter

I got lazy...So here is a link to my NON MOTU Collection!
    Collection and NON MOTU Customs

XBOX ONE Gamertag: Avenger PR PAC
    PSN: Avenger12PR

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    And last year, TG also said they did not have Filmation rights right before sdcc....
    yeah, even said that 'we won't be weaving any shadows at SDCC'
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    yeah, even said that 'we won't be weaving any shadows at SDCC'
    I took it as a subtle hint that they DID have the rights and instead of ruining it for anyone, Scott instead decided to throw a vague hint out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    Since Scott has never lied to us
    ... and Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    ... and Neil Armstrong never landed on the moon.
    OHHH YOUUUUUU!

just gimme the movie figures - ALL OF THEM! ...

i don't care how; just give them to me! ... ASAP! ...

seriously, this is my ultimate-want in MOTUC! ...

lets go '87 movie rights!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

I would like to see a Dolph Lundgren head sculpt for Laser Power He-Man. I would think that Mattel would only need permission from Dolph himself to use his face. As for Dolph's movie accurate hair, the studio can't possibly have exclusive rights to the classic mullet.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'm not saying Scott has never mislead us before, but I think some of you are remembering his statements about Filmation rights incorrectly. He did say 'we won't be weaving any shadows' at some point, but closer to SDCC he said something changed and there was another huge bit of news to announce. At that time people continued to ask about Filmation rights and he would no longer answer the question, which simply confirmed it in my mind and the minds of many other speculators. I do not think we were ever lied to about the Filmation rights. It's simply a matter of timing. Things were not finalized when he said we did not have them.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    If we did get the movie action figures, would they be updated versions of the figures? Or could they look more like their movie counterpart? I'm thinking of Gwildor in particular, but Blade could use a little more accurate detailing as well.
    The power of Grayskull compels you!

My daughter's Hebrew name is Shira.