Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (6/15/2012)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (6/15/2012)

MOTULA.foroactivo.net

Which was the historical milestone that marked the end of the Preternia Era and the start of the Eternia Era?

Sorry, we aren't going to spill the beans here! Keep reading the bios!

We already have HordePrime's bio, however, there is no mention of his true size. Is it more akin to filmation or UK comic version?

Think of it like the Wizard of Oz where a hologram or puppet version is used for communication. But his real form is standard size. But that is just one interpretation. Everyone brings their own thoughts into the difference.

Even though any Mattel MOTU toy can have a MOTUC rendition, there's no real chance that we actually see MOTUC Meteorbs sometime, right?

In no way are they off the table. Just no plans to announce now.

Is there a chance that Mattel could record SDCC Mattypalooza on HD and then broadcast it through ToyGuru's youtube channel? Most of us (international fans) end up watching amateur (low quality) video recordings of the lucky fans that get to attend.

Shooting more expensive videos takes times and resources away from the toys. Honestly, we would rather get more deco ops and accessories for the toys then spend money to get out better videos right now. The panel is a reward for those who attend SDCC live in person. Would fans prefer for us to shoot more video and put less into the toys? Let us know?
    Hordak.de

1. A design suggestion for Modulok: In MotUC many parts can be shared, like the arm attachments from Trap Jaw, Roboto, Hurricane Hordak, Horde Prime and Spikor. When you get to Modulok, would you consider making him interchangeable with those parts and give him connecting pieces for Draego Man's wings or the insect legs from Buzz Off? This would give you some cool options: First off a new kind of Weapons Pak with new body parts for Modulok without new tooling and second- if and when you get to accessories like Tower Tools or Cliff Climber- you could make those parts interchangeable, too! Imagine a Mega-Modulok with wings, insect legs, a Mekaneck extension and a drill as left hand! Or Multi-Bot with an extra Trap-Jaw arm and chainsaw attachment!>>

This is a cool idea but as we do not have a Modulok figure planned right now these type of conversations simply have not taken place. But we'll pass this along!

2. Though it limits the arm articulation on the Sorceress a little bit, the wing action feature works really well! Would you consider reusing her shoulders for Starburst She-Ra to save on tooling costs?>>

Same answer as above. We haven't discussed this figure but anything is possible. Cool suggestion!

3. Fans are wondering if the Horde was originally intended as PoP villains and then was adapted into the MotU toyline or if it was the other way round and they have been MotU toys first and then appeared in the She-Ra cartoon. Can you clarify on this?

From Toyguru: "I only started at Mattel in 2006, so I wasn't around during the vintage days to answer a question like this, Sorry I don't have a concrete answer."

4. There will be two versions of Vykron at sale day on mattycollector. Will we be able to order both or will it be a surprise which one we'll get?

Yes, there will be two version and you can order either one as a separate toy so you know what you are getting.

5. So... Illumina is battling Geldor and six others... how big are the chances that we will see the second winner in 2015?

We are just now starting to do prelim work on 2014. 2015 is too far off to comment.
    Preternia.com

I was curious now that Mekaneck has been revealed, could you give a little explanatoin as to how the neck extensions work? I know it was explained they can’t stack, so I was curious as to how they work or what range of movement they have.

You will get one Makeaneck head, one 2 inch neck and one 5 inch neck. They are swapable so you can display with no extended neck, 2 inches or 5 inches. But you can’t connect the 2 inch on top of the 5 inch to make 7 inches.

In your latest video I saw a Horde Prime sitting in the backdrop with his cancelled staff, is this a hint? Or are you just showing off and making us drool more?

We’ve noted before we are looking for ways to release this dropped accessory, but nothing offical to announce yet.

I’ve seen a few subscribers say they never got the email regarding Mekaneck even after checking their spam folders and all … is a reason for this being looked into or was there a reason found? Especially with the mention that more is to come, we don’t want to miss anything!

If you did not receive the email, please just call CS to have them note and correct this if you are a sub holder!

For next year’s sub exclusive would you consider letting subscribers order up to a certain up to maximum number of the exclusive figure when they buy their sub? What I mean is when you opt in for your sub, you have the option to maybe get yourself up to 3 Shadow Weavers per sub. Or do you feel this defeats the purpose of the sub exclusive?

No, it is one sub exclusive figure per full sub order.
    Mintconditioncustom.com

Daniel asks: When will the subscriptions page be back up for customers to see on their profiles?

Ideally soon. We are working hard on this.
    Kastor's Korner

Great video debut for the SDCC Dark Knight Rises Bruce Wayne figure! The Castle Grayskull in the background appears to be a different shape than the vintage box… is this a hint at things to come in the Masters of the Universe series, or just an odd camera angle?

Not a hint or something that should be interpreted. That is an actual MIB 1982 Castle. We have it in the office and just use it as a backdrop because it is neat and fills the space.
    Elkkthunderstoyroom.com

Will there be new pieces held back to show at Power-Con this year?

We will have items to reveal at Power Con, yes

Is the new CS team also working on making invoices correct as well as getting the online subscription page more reliable? Is there a date for this to happen?

All of this is in the works. No dates to announce right now.
    MOTUClassics.Com

MOTUClassics.Com Asks: We know the intention is there to get Draego-Man’s cut accessories back into the line somewhere, is the same true for Spector’s attachments?

Spector’s is a little harder. For Draego Man, his accessories are all hand held and can work with almost any figure. Spector’s whip attaches through the arm comm-link on Spector and is specific to only him, so it is a little harder. But if there is enough demand, we know a certain Mattel Brand Manager that would love to see this accessory released one day!

MOTUClassics.Com Asks: We asked about this a few years ago, but Toy Guru’s recent Scareglow blog has got us thinking about it again. Karak Nul – is he more than just a name? Is there any design or backstory on his pre-Scareglow years. Is he on the table as a possible figure or is that very unlikely?

We actually have fleshed this out and, in time, it is always possible to see “secret identity” figures for quite a few MOTU characters pre-transformation (similar to Keldor).
    Infinite Hollywood

1. Will the new MOTU comic have restrictions on the writers and artists, so that they must only use current canon MOTU characters or will we possibly see new creations from their minds that could end up as figures in the MOTUC line?

No. The new DC comic is its own cannon.

2. Since many figures aren't being re-released now, how has this worked out for Mattel? Is MOTUC performing better now that you guys cut back on some of the re-releases or are there still some tweaks that will be made in 2013 to the current structure of MOTUC sales.

We are constantly tweaking things, but the line is doing great and as you stated, there will be no reissues of 2012 figures. We may sell off remaining customer service stock or any held product, but we won't be going into an all new run.

3. With some of the shifting dates, it looks like the last bit of the 2012 Club Eternia will be loaded down with many releases. Likewise Granamyr is set to release around that time too. Is it possible that there will be some delays that push some of these final 2012 items into 2013?

Ideally all 2012 product will still ship in 2012. We will be back on track in 2013 as we are giving ourselves a much earlier avail date for all the product to get it in well before the sale! What a year this was!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The sites listed below are the sites who want to participate in the Q&A round-up in these threads and on the He-Man.org homepage news entry.
    Be sure to check out their sites! There's a lot there to see in addition to the Q&As.

http://www.planeteternia.de/
    http://www.popculturenetwork.com/
    http://www.figures.com/
    http://www.kastorskorner.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/hordak.de
    http://www.maitresdelunivers.org/
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/
    http://www.motucfigures.com/
    http://www.he-man.de/
    ElkkThunders Toy Room
    The Ultimate She-Ra Guide
    MOTUClassics.com
    www.MOTULA.foroactivo.net
    http://www.preternia.com
    www.mintconditioncustom.com/

All other sites haven't gotten back to us yet about participating, or have asked not to be included which we completely understand and respect.
    So, please do not post the actual questions and answers from any site not listed above.
    But you are welcome to post a direct link to their Q&A, and discuss the info here in this thread.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 20, 2012 at 01:55pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm guessing the Spell of Separation is what marks the change from Preternia to Eternia.

And I am sorry, but if Mattel doesn't see the value of having a legit video of the Matty panel at SDCC in order to promote Mattycollector.com, then they need some new blood.

Mattycollector.com could be doing better. There has been little to no creative marketing.
    This response is basically kind of rude to those who can't make or can't affored to go to SDCC. That's not gracious

Even though Mattycollector is a small subsidiary of Mattel, Mattel needs to WAKE UP and realize that online, direct to consumer marketing is the future... heck it's the present.

And, really? The marketing budget is created based on the same source of money as the tooling budget??
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

I don't think it's the Spell of Separation. That was conducted by Hordak, who was banished tyo Despondos shortly before the death of King Grayskull. Then, Vikor, who was around after King Grayskill, is also considered Preternian. So it's got to be asomething after Vikor...unless they didn't quite think it through...again.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    That last answer is a real cheap cop out imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I don't think it's the Spell of Separation. That was conducted by Hordak, who was banished tyo Despondos shortly before the death of King Grayskull. Then, Vikor, who was around after King Grayskill, is also considered Preternian. So it's got to be asomething after Vikor...unless they didn't quite think it through...again.
    I know in the MYP toon that Hordak conducted that spell before he was banished, but maybe in the MOTUC canon he returns more than once? Maybe not.

I guess a lot of the planet is devastated by the spell though, as it completely changed a lot of the landscape.

Maybe it's the sinking of the towers?
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

He changed his tune from that Hordak Commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    The marketing budget is created based on the same source of money as the tooling budget??
    I've always assumed so. There's no promotion in magazines anymore, so I guess there is more money to allocate toward the figures.

Heroic Warrior
    "Would fans prefer for us to shoot more video and put less into the toys? Let us know?"

Again with this unneccessary sentence at the end of the usuall "can we get HD videos" question. This could have been answered with out the additional smart alec-ness.

http://www.preternia.com/2012/06/15/...-june-15-2012/

Seems like anything that will be answered has been ... I ran dry on this one.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Man, they really need to take lessons from Bluefin on how to answer questions.

Go here if you want to know what I am referring to:

http://www.tokunation.com/showthread.php?t=6823
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Man, they really need to take lessons from Bluefin on how to answer questions.

Go here if you want to know what I am referring to:

http://www.tokunation.com/showthread.php?t=6823
    Really?

Secretcode: Any chance of bigger characters like Biolantte or Destoroyah, or moving onward to the Millennium series-era of Godzilla (such as Millennium Series Godzilla, Kiryu, Orga and even Zilla)?

BlueFin:
    Other Godzilla monsters for the line right now are top secret and I'm unable to comment on them.

Secretcode: Will the Mega Man X D-Arts continue after Vile?

BlueFin:
    There is something being planned right now for the next character in the mega-man universe though I cannot comment on it.

Secretcode: The last obvious question: Any progress on bringing the Tamashii Webshop Exclusives over to America? I know demand is a key factor in whether or not something gets brought over.

BlueFin:
    It is one of our goals to eventually bring Tamashii Web Exclusives over to N. America. Unfortunately I can't comment on the time frame for this.

Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

There' always something TG says to spark the ire of the fans. Mattel's marketing dept = separate of mattycollector should be tapped to shoot stuff like this, take the budget from corporate promotions. stuff like this is good for investors to see. no need to take the money from MOTUC. I don't blame TG on this one, I blame the board.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I find it funny that Pixel Dan, who is just one man, has better video capabilities than the largest toy company in the world. I think bcrduke is right about getting some new blood in that company. The current group they have is just ridiculous when comes to marketing, PR, and design execution. I'm tired of the immature rhetoric from these people. "If we make anything more than an inferior video showcasing our product then you might not get Ram-Man, duh huh." Mattel, please stop promoting incompetence.

Is it really worthwhile for them to record the panels though? There is plenty of online coverage, videos and pictures included, for the reveals at SDCC. I don't see what Mattel would gain from posting their own video. Chances are other online media reps would post the videos before they could anyways.

Why is TG back-peddling on his earlier claim that the Horde were always created for MOTU?

Perhaps *someone* (ahem!) unearthed something he didn't know about.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm usually the last person to defend Scott but in this case I'll share some insight:

Scott isn't the one who would even make the decision about finance going towards filming, the social new media and promotional marketing department(s) are who handles that type of thing and that would be a budget TOTALLY outside of MOTUC. Now I can understand if Scott maybe isn't aware that there are department(s) like this already in place but the truth of the matter is that there are. I'm a bit confused how Scott wouldn't already know that Mattel has had a recent initiative through their social new media department to archive different media events regarding all Mattel properties and MOTUC is certainly their biggest self owned property next to Barbie and Monster High. I really should keep this to myself but I figure it should at least be thrown out there that the budget thing is an excuse- not that I think it's an intentional one more so I think perhaps Scott doesn't even know there are other avenues internally that are already in place to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Why is TG back-peddling on his earlier claim that the Horde were always created for MOTU?

Something about a man that lives in the boot.....

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I hope Toyguru's video previews (which I do really enjoy!) don't take away from the toy budget. The video answer given kind of makes it seem like ALL videos Mattel does for Matty come from the toy budget. If that's the case, I would rather have that money put into the toys. I mean, I DO like the videos (as a said)...but the toys are what we're buying and keeping.

Also...WHO asked for Starburst She-Ra to have those huge shoulder drums?! I'm coming for you!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Screw the talk about spending money on equipment for video. Does anyone there have an iphone, HTC or Sony Xperia phone?? You can shoot 1080p video with those. My favorite director from Korea shot a whole short film with his iphone, now there are film contests and a whole movement of film being shot on phones.

Hell my little $100 Fuji camera shoots 1080. I shot a nice behind the scenes video of a guy using a real flame thrower in a movie I worked on last year.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    Screw the talk about spending money on equipment for video. Does anyone there have an iphone, HTC or Sony Xperia phone?? You can shoot 1080p video with those. My favorite director from Korea shot a whole short film with his iphone, now there are film contests and a whole movement of film being shot on phones.

Hell my little $100 Fuji camera shoots 1080. I shot a nice behind the scenes video of a guy using a real flame thrower in a movie I worked on last year.
    I have the newest iphone4s and the quality ain't that great.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Also...WHO asked for Starburst She-Ra to have those huge shoulder drums?! I'm coming for you!
    Someone is trying to sabotage POP.

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    I just don't get why Mattel/Toyguru/whomever come off as very dismissive and rude in response to the video question. Because if given the option, I would prefer that they learn manners when answering an honest and politely worded question. If I answered a client's question like that at my job, I'd be on the unemployment line.
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    The answer about why they can't record the Matty panel at SDCC is so mindbogglingly inane. Seriously, what "budget" is needed to have someone record it with their iphone and upload it to their youtube page? You don't need to do a bunch of graphics or what not...for pete's sake we aren't asking for them to shoot a live action feature movie.

They really need to stop with the panel is a "reward to fans who come out to SDCC" nonsense. I would guess a fraction of the of the folks who support the MOTUC line are able to attend the convention. So does that mean your customers deserve to miss out on actually seeing the panel for not being able to attend the con after signing up blindly for the sub?

Honestly, Mattel makes some of the worst PR moves I think I've ever seen out of a corporation. They couldn't **** off their customers more than if they went to everyones house who has supported the line and gave them the middle finger to their faces.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Entrapta, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid and Tung Lashor

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/06/ask-matty-61512

Filmation answers...

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; June 15, 2012 at 03:48pm.

Yeah, Mattel needs to really step up their game and get us some professionally edited, HD 1080p video for toy previews and panels. Just look at how Hasbro, with all that Hollywood money, does their videos, oh yeah THEY DON'T. They don't even allow video or pictures at their Botcon panel. Other things they don't do: go on podcasts, send out review samples to fan sites, do Q & A's twice a month, interact on message boards, give us every figure we ever wanted, etc. etc....

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://thefwoosh.com/2012/06/ask-matty-61512

Filmation answers...

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
    Maybe it's a cry for help?
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by KUZEH View Post
    Really?
    Yes, there were some questions they could not answer, but he did not avoid the question like Mattel does quite often, Nor did ne answer the questions with an attitude.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.