Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Vehicles - "Maybe in a movie year"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I don't know if anyone pointed out yet, but - as just stated in TG's blog - He-Man and the first few figures did okay too.
    Did they decide to stop and do more figures in a movie year?
    No, they kept doing them and the line picked up.
    Are the vehicles different? Sure they cost more and have almost no mold reuse, but at the same time they aren't doing 12 a year.
    If they went by the same logic, we wouldn't have had many more figures... Why can't just try a bit harder and don't expect immediate sell outs since the beginning.
    It took sometime before the line become popular, so we just got a taste of the vehicles. Just by looking at the history of the line, we should maybe assume Battle Ram will sell more, not less than the Wind Raider!
    Of course, Emiliano, you make perfect sense on this. Why has Mattel become gun shy with this line all of a sudden? Going by how they have been acting lately, it seems that we would have never gotten past Stratos if they had followed this vehicle philosophy back then.

We need more vehicles!!!
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    We need more vehicles!!!
    We need all vehicles!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    They wanted/needed/whatevered a super fast sellout to justify more vehicles. Basically, Mattel wanted to leave potential sales on the table. Granted, the elephant in the room was the release 2 weeks before Christmas after the Demo-Man non-starter fiasco. But apparently, those elements were inconsequential.
    And, it cannot be stressed enough - many people had yet to even get their huge Black Friday/ Cyber Monday orders yet.

It was a perfect storm of terrible timing. I spent a huge amount of money, like many, during that weekend. Many many 100's. And then we also had the sale day with a Beast (Swifty), BP She-ra, and a monthly figure. Novemeber was easily the most costly month ever for many of us. That kept people who may have bought four or five of the suckers down to one or two - even the big spenders probably didn't spend (I know I did - I got 2, and would have probably gotten twice that had I not dumped like $700 once all shipping, etc. was added, on MattyCollector in one month).

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Well the difference is--at least according to Toyguru's blog--they already had the parts for the first few figures costed out by the time He-Man did just "ok", so they went ahead and did a few more figures with what was already costed out. It was around the time of Skeletor and Stratos--which bear and mind was only 3-4 figures in--that it suddenly really took off.

Wind Raider on the other hand...only the vehicle was costed out. No other vehicles have been--at least none that we know of.
    Well, then we're back to the first nonsense: they costed out the WR, they decided to produce it, they sold out of their entire stock. What they wanted more?
    A fasters sell out so they can do a reissue? But they said no reissues anymore! It still makes no sense.

And there could be a possibility based on the decreased subs across the board and all the complaining about dropping further subs that Mattel could be very hesitant about pursuing further vehicles.
    I wish they were paying so much attention about how much fans are displeased.

Again, I think they had made their decision on no more vehicles before the Wind Raider was released. The only hope it had was if it sold out in minutes and their was a huge demand for more, a la Battle Cat, so they could go to the higher ups and say, 'hey, we need to make more to fill demand.' There just isn't as much profit margin for vehicles as there is for figures with heavily reused parts. They could make vehicles and be profitable, but they'd rather make more figures and be more profitable. The sad thing is if we never get another vehicle I'll always wonder why the Roton was put on the Wind Raider box...

Heroic Warrior
    Which is exactly why we NEED a Roton!

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Which is exactly why we NEED a Roton!
    ... and this is the reason why Rudy Obrero did the Windraider artwork. It is actually a promotion. I think fans in the forums currently mostly mention Battle Ram (bacause it was shown at SDCC) and Roton (because it is in the Windraider artwork). If they put FrightFighters instead Rotons in the artwork, fans would want FrightFighters ... so the next step is to release BattleRam or Roton and let Rudy Obrero do the artwork with a hint of yet another vehicle. And then again and again. And step-by-step we will be there - getting all the vehicles. You see Toyguru? It is so easy!

This really sucks IMO, If we could just get the Battle Ram I'd be happy, please
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Remember, TG said that WR was not produced in large numbers, so that plus the 3 day sellout is "underperforming".

I don't like it, but that's reality. I still hope for the Battle Ram which was always my favorite vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I exhausted most of my logic-based destruction of how idiotic the "WR did okay" statement is in the other thread.
    But having since actually received the WR and experienced it first hand, it definitely stokes the annoyance.

So while Toyguru is on his placate the fans by setting the record straight tour, he needs to revisit the Wind Raider nonsense if he ever has any hope of getting fans back on his side.

The WR is easily one of the best MOTUC releases.
    Even to the point that non-MotU fans loved it, including top reviewer Michael Crawford who named it Best Vehicle/Playset of the year.

This sort of prestige and accomplishment alone should outweigh any and all antiquated "how we define success" garbage.

So, the questions still stand: What happened?
    Did they spend too much money on the Wind Raider?
    If so, why? Why didn't they elect to cut some corners as they have everywhere else?
    Why does the Wind Raider get 100% of its bells and whistles while Draego-Man goes on the chopping block?
    Awesome as it is, was the Rudy Obrero painting truly necessary?
    Nostalgic as it is, was the real working winch "action feature in a line with no action features" really crucial?
    Does an adult collectible of a vehicle whose design we all know by memory really need an instruction sheet?
    Did it really need to be as huge as it turned out?
    Were ALL of the paint ops needed? Wouldn't fans forgive a few unpainted dials and details here and there?

Was anyone at Mattel asking these tough questions, or did they just flat-out botch the number-crunching?
    None of it makes any sense.
    Maybe it had nothing to do with the sell out time at all. Maybe they're just too expensive to make and they can't make enough profit on them no matter HOW many they sell. They said that they were going to do a vehicle...so they tried it out...and when it was all said and done, they can't justify doing more because it came in too pricey. (It may be the case since they upped the price so late in the game.)
    At the same time, they can't just up the price to the consumer because they felt that it wasn't a $50 toy...it was really a $40 toy but they already raised the price once.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Maybe it had nothing to do with the sell out time at all. Maybe they're just too expensive to make and they can't make enough profit on them no matter HOW many they sell. They said that they were going to do a vehicle...so they tried it out...and when it was all said and done, they can't justify doing more because it came in too pricey. (It may be the case since they upped the price so late in the game.)
    At the same time, they can't just up the price to the consumer because they felt that it wasn't a $50 toy...it was really a $40 toy but they already raised the price once.
    I would be perferctly satisfied with that explanation.
    But no, we are being told it sold okay, so it ins't about profit margin and costs, but more about fans not buying enough.
    This is, more or less, what users here call it "blaming the fans".

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I would be perferctly satisfied with that explanation.
    But no, we are being told it sold okay, so it ins't about profit margin and costs, but more about fans not buying enough.
    This is, more or less, what users here call it "blaming the fans".
    Oh don't get me wrong...I completely agree with you

I'm just thinking there is more to this story than we're hearing and the "blame the fans" is just a way to scare us into buying more. (It is, after all, the stand they've taken with this whole line...this is the latest, the last was Grayskull and the 2012 subs not selling enough.)

Heroic Warrior
    Posted by Toyguru :

Hopefully if a movie happens Classics continues online as is and a new line at retail supports the movie.

I am now afraid that if/when we see new vehicles and a Castle Grayskull playset, they won't be for MOTU Classics, but for the new movie line instead...

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing that Mattel wouldn't be able to get an accurate estimate well before the WR went into production. And if someone dropped the ball on that, in the real world that someone gets fired.

We still have yet to get anywhere close to a reasonable explanation on what exactly is so awful about product sitting in a warehouse for a few days.

Bottom line is that they have failed to accurately gauge production numbers on pretty much every release, so why should we believe anything they say about how much more Wind Raiders or other vehicles may hypothetically sell?

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    I WANT a Battleram for sure... but movie year? BOOOOOOO!!!
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, so lets say the next vehicle (if we ever get one) is priced at $55 to cover costs more... who would buy it?

I sure would. Heck I'd pay $65 or $70 for Battle Ram.

Heroic Warrior
    Ok, so lets say the next vehicle (if we ever get one) is priced at $55 to cover costs more... who would buy it?

Yes but don't encourage them!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Where in the world did we say there would be no more vehicles? Never said that. We did not have a vehicle planned for 2012 due to Granamyr regardless of how the Windraider performed. At this point we are still planning out 2013. Whether or not there is a vehicle has not been decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Where in the world did we say there would be no more vehicles? Never said that. We did not have a vehicle planned for 2012 due to Granamyr regardless of how the Windraider performed. At this point we are still planning out 2013. Whether or not there is a vehicle has not been decided.

few?
    10-15-2011 1:30pm Eastern
    The MOTUC line and all its fans were taken for the ass

Let us never forget.

PLEASE say that the next one will be a redo of the front half of the classic Battle Ram vehicle!!!

I would buy a dozen of them just to set classics figures on an then hang them from my ceiling like they are flying all around my display room!

Heck I'd pay $65 or $70 for Battle Ram and the other vehicles too! In fact if I had my last $80, I would spend $70 on a MOTUC vehicles and save $10 for food for a month.

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    OH SNAP! ToyGuru with the save......
    Makes sense then, Since Granny is coming in 2012 I totally understand the "no vehicles" stance.
    Battle Ram for 2013 dagnabbit
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

From Hordak.de Q&A on 2/1/12...
    4. From Mattel's point of view: Has the Wind Raider been a success and can we now expect more vehicles down the line, maybe for the beginning of 2013?

No, the Windraider only performed "okay" which makes it doubtful we would tackle another vehicle in the near future. Maybe in a movie year if the line goes wider.
    Granted it doesn't say "no more vehicles ever", but it is a response to a questions specifically asking about 2013 and not 1012 that seems to imply it won't be happening. Especially by using "maybe in a movie year" that up to now has been for things like playsets.
    Bill :: guitargod694

I agree! If it was the whole Battle Ram vehicle, I would pay even $80 for it, an I would buy a few of them for multiple figure display variations.

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    I hate to say it but I would also drop 80 dollars to buy a Battle Ram as well. I would much rather have the Battle Ram and Skysled over Granamyr any day. I paid 60 dollars for star sisters I didn't want. I'm not sure why they don't just produce fewer and raise the price. That way at least the vehicle is released and fans can decide if they want to spend the cash. If it sells out in 10 minuets because the production was lower that is fine because it would justify a rerelease (even though they don't want to rerelease anything past Man-E-Faces.) and it would mean that the vehicle is at least available.

80 dollars for a Battle Ram is fine for such an iconic vehicle in my opinion when taking into consideration that it would otherwise not be released.
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

Maybe a movie is on track for a 2014 release and they're planning it for then?

And I'd be willing to pay $80+ for the Battle Ram shown at SDCC. For an in-scale Grayskull with all the bells in whistles, I'd easily pay $200-$300, no questions asked.