Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 figures that grew on you

Icarius. I skipped him. then regretted it as soon as it was sold out. Got him for christmas!
    i know he's not out yet but TP He-Man is growing on me, and the more i look at pics of him, the more i think he'll be my favorite He-Man variant
    But we mustn't dwell. No, not today. We Can't! Not on Rex Manning Day!

Sir Laser-Lot and Cy-Chop have been added to my list, as figures that I had zero intentions of buying, but now love.
    --SLL had some good photo reviews, and combined with his backstory, I came to like both the character and the figure.
    --Cy-Chop grew on me in-hand, fast. A great design, a solid backstory, and a fun figure.

Heroic Warrior
    Demo Man, Vikor, Draego Man...I thought, they were cool, now they're amazing...

Mo-Larr grew on me and SMAA, who turned out cool...

Heroic Warrior ShowerPowerFrosta's Avatar
    Sir Laser Lot. I didn't like him at all when he was first announced, and thought he was pretty bland. Now he's one of my favourite figures in the line.

Not even announced yet, but Ninjor seemed like a pretty boring figure. Then I thought about a MOTUC ninja, and I'm very interested in seeing how he'll turn out, if he ever gets made.

Sir Lazer Lot has to be added to my list. I love that figure so much now. Motu needed a traditional knight. Very cool.

The colors, the design, the weapons, he's awesome.

I was very unimpressed when I first saw him, but once I had him in hand I instantly loved the figure.

1. Optikk- never liked NA and was not sure I'd collect every figure but ended up buying em all and he became well liked.

2. Bow- once opened he was one of my favorites minus th3e mustache head of course.

3. Spikor- never liked him but his colors really made like him more and more.

4. Icarius- the guy was not wanted but out of the blister I was crazy about him. And his Val Kilmer head is hilarious.

5. Battleground Teela- variants were something I didn't want but I grabbed an extra of get and put the snake armor on her and now she is the permanent Teela.

In all honesty most figures become "my new favorite" once they're opened. This is the only line that had ever been that way for me. Truly something special.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Teela
    I wanted her because she was an old vintage of mine, but I never realized how attractive of a figure she was until I got her....to me she is simply the best looking female so far.

Beast Man
    Never had him as a kid, and was only going to collect the vintage updates from my youth toy box, but he spoke to me, and after getting him home....just looks amazing, like a work of art.

Demo-Man
    I somewhat liked the prototype, but once seeing the neon release I only wanted him for the Skeletor head, but after getting him open, and posing him a little...I really like him now.

Stratos
    Another vintage I never had, but I saw a loose 2pk version on Ebay for $15, bought him, and I actually really like him now a lot.

Swiftwind
    Once seeing pics online of him, I had to get him and She-Ra & BP...but once I got him I realized how huge he was and how detailed...and mine had the right legs...
    I was never a POP fan until MOTUC, still not a fan fan, but there are some I will get if they put them out.
    OK....my revamped list up to now....

Spikor
    Never really wanted him, bought him on a whim, and since I opened him, even though he has a few tiny blastic issues on his left bicep, and after removing the 2 spikes from his armor that fall just under his arms...I found out that with the addition of the GWWP green Clawful shield and Draego Man's flame Sword, he looks awesome, more so to me with 2 hands instead of the tridents.

DB Skeletor
    Another I never had, and I didn't think I'd like the purple feet, but I have to say, he is awesome, and his paint deco is killer....mine has a couple very minor blastic issues, a small pin hole in the paint on one leg and an unfinished paint job on one inner wrist, you can slightly see if the fist is in the right position. I have to add, that I did really want him when he was revealed, but in hand, he is so much cooler than the pictures showed him as.

Beast Man
    Still the same reason as above

Stinkor
    Yet another Vintage I never had as a kid, even though he smells too bad to keep out of the package for me, I did take him out, and reversed (corrected) his intentionally backwards design choices....I like him even more now, just sucks he smells too strong to keep out.

SMAA
    I never liked and still don't him with the snake head, MAA was never a Snake Man in my book, but with the GWWP arm cannon & the stached MAA head, he has really grown on me so much....

To note....
    I originally bought Stinkor on a whim, much like Spikor, and turns out, both have grown on me. Demo-Man is also still on my list, but the newest 2012 figures trumped the reasons for the old ones except Beast Man.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

1. Leech- he was the one if the original characters that I really didn't care too much about till he arrived. I just kept thinking wow, this guys pretty cool.

2. Sir Lazer-lot- wasn't sure I liked the concept, but after getting him, he is pretty awesome.

3. Cy-Chop- DID NOT think he was interesting, but again, he arrived and think he looks great, bio helped also.

4. The Mighty Spector- I appreciate him as a action figure.

5. Vikron-I didn't know if this one was gonna sell me at first, but after switching the armor around, he won me over.
    Last edited by rankinman; November 24, 2012 at 02:39am.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

icarius
    laser lot
    bow
    gygor
    demoman/vikor

Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    I think Carnivus is awesome. I've never understood why some don't like him.
    I like the concept behind him. Id just prefer less disney feeling about that face and more visula integration in the line (same as keldor)
    WISHLIST: Green and Purple Mask of Power demons, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Prince Dakon, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    WOW, how 'bout some beasts, you guys? Who enjoyed the frickin Griffin?!?!?! Come on, now.

1- Griffin (Never knew I even wanted him until he was revealed, and holy crap is he awesome!)
    2- Panthor
    3- Wind Raider (You know you want an extra)
    4- Shadow Beast
    5- Filmation Randor (Orange tights all day, all night baby!)
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

In no particular order...

1 - Spector
    2 - Cy-Chop
    3 - Sir Lazer-Lot
    4 - Griffin
    5 - Snake Man-at-Arms
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Adding some figures to my list:

1) Sir Laser Lot - he is a favorite... don't hate me
    2) Snake MAA - he's really well made... that always impresses me... simple joys: tight joints, quality paint apps, decent plastic, no warping
    3) Horde Prime - didn't think I would like him that much, but he's a great figure
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    1) Sir Laser Lot
    2) Mo-larr
    3) Cy-Chop
    4) Spector
    5) Vykron

Nayyy!! Just kidding! I don't really like any of these guys!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

1 ) King Grayskull - When I started collecting MOTUC line (mid 2010), I noticed people talking about this "so called" King. When I saw his pic for the first time, I thought he was the biggest, cheapest looking knock off OF He-Man ! And trust me, that really fuelled my anger on the character !!

As months passed, I came to know about his 2.0 release. I thought he was going to be an easy pass for me. Heck, I even said that I won’t be buying him even if he was offered for $5.00 (YES.... FIVE ! ). Luckily, I bought 200X MOTU DVD & happened to watch "Power Of Grayskull" episode. And from that very moment, it was all King Grayskull ! This guy grew on me so rapidly. And yeah, I went on to buy 2 KG’s ! I liked him even more when I received his figure. And his Orb, It is one of my favourite MOTUC accessories till this very day !!

Here’s my first pic of KG, it was on the day I received him for the first time !

The King Of Kings Has Arrived !!

2) Mer-Man – Honestly, being a DIE-HARD fan of Filmation cartoon, I was unable to accept MOTUC Mer-Man as MY Mer-Man ! I think I avoided his reissue twice because of this. Like KG, the 200X cartoon & Mer-Man’s “modern” head chilled me for getting the MOTUC version. And now, he’s one of my favourites !!

3) Spikor - Although I heard his name during my younger days, I was totally unfamiliar with this guy. Even his reveal dint helped me one bit. But then, I had 2012 SUB & I was forced to get him. And when I had him, the first thing popped in my mind was “how a demonic looking beast could have human feet like He-Man ???” Furthermore, one of my 2 Spikor figure was faulty. It had a super… super long black neck peg instead of the regular pink neck peg. So, it was obvious that nothing made me like Spikor. But one fine day, when I was “scrambling” my MOTUC accessories & spares box, an idea popped ! And that lead me to do this :-

Inspired By One Of WWF/E Attitude Era Shocking Twists !

He's All Yours :-

It's You & Me Now :-

Holly **** :-

The Beating :-

See This Bone Face :-

The New Alliance :-

It's A ****n Set-Up :-

And now, He is under The Evil Horde Faction ! He Has Demon Feet !! And His Loin Cloth Colour Matches With His Horde Look !!! And………… He ROCKS !!!!

4) Bow – I bought him without much interest & BOOM ! He was freak ‘in AWESOME !!

5) Laser Lot – Not Anymore……….. He is LASER BOT Now !

Last edited by TUC138; November 24, 2012 at 10:02am.
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    WOW, how 'bout some beasts, you guys? Who enjoyed the frickin Griffin?!?!?! Come on, now.

1- Griffin (Never knew I even wanted him until he was revealed, and holy crap is he awesome!)
    2- Panthor
    3- Wind Raider (You know you want an extra)
    4- Shadow Beast
    5- Filmation Randor (Orange tights all day, all night baby!)
    The thread is about the figures that grew on you, not the ones you already liked, or thought you'd like....

And out of the 3 beasts I have, 2, Battle Cat & Panthor I wanted from the start, no need to grow on me, and Swiftwind was cool from the first pictures I saw of him, so therefore no need to grow on me. And as far as the others go, I don't own them, nor do I really want them aside from Griffin....Now if they offer him up on Monday for half price or less, I may get him, I couldn't afford him the first time with the other regular figures out, and regular figures trump higher priced items, so I had to pass.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Well, I GOTTA include the 6th one…. & that is none other than Snake Man-At-Arms !

Honestly, I liked him very much the way he was shown at Power Con 2011. I thought of making him just like a vintage figure. Unfortunately (OR fortunately) “Taken For The Ass” SMAA Riot killed that look ! When Spikor “sacrificed” his “human” feet, there was only one man who was looking for that….. And that beneficiary was, Snake-Man-At-Arms !!!!!!!!!!!

I removed his “200X” elements, paint apps on him & now, both as Snake Men & Heroic Warrior, he is Menacing & AWESOME !!
    Last edited by TUC138; November 25, 2012 at 06:08am.
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    The thread is about the figures that grew on you, not the ones you already liked, or thought you'd like....
    I didn't already like the five I mentioned till I got them... They GREW on me.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon

Snappy Threader
    Swift Wind: Thought he would be kind of cheesy but he is cool
    Snake Man-At-Arms: originally hated the variant, but he turned out pretty nice
    DC two pack Mer-Man: Didn't like the color at first but now he has become "THE MER-MAN" in my collection
    Orko: I thought he would be too small but he really turned out quite well
    Spikor: Thought he looked off but I wasn't sure how, in hand he is amazing.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    If I don't like a figure, it's not likely that I ever will. Vikor is probably the only figure I wasn't sure about whether I liked it or not. Now that I have Vikor I'm ok with it. All the characters I don't really care for I still don't. And that doesn't mean they're not well done either. Take Chief Carnivus...very nice figure...just don't care for the character. The top 5 figures I'm hoping grow on me but likely won't are:

1. Sir Laser Lot...OMG this figure bores the hell out of me.
    2. Dekker...Nice paint...yawn.
    3. PreTernia He-man...I can't believe they did that before Ram Man
    4. Icarius...Val Kilmer?
    5. Optikk...I could have lived without an Optikk figure
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    I didn't already like the five I mentioned till I got them... They GREW on me.
    I didn't say you did, I was referring to the Beast comment as to why most likely didn't have them in their lists, they probably went in already liking them, I know almost everyone wanted Battle Cat & Panthor, and even those that don't like POP, can't say Swiftwind doesn't look at least cool. The only beasts / oversized I really don't like is the 7Up flavored Gygor, and Megator. I just don't own any but BC, Panthor & SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Jeremy View Post
    If I don't like a figure, it's not likely that I ever will. Vikor is probably the only figure I wasn't sure about whether I liked it or not. Now that I have Vikor I'm ok with it. All the characters I don't really care for I still don't. And that doesn't mean they're not well done either. Take Chief Carnivus...very nice figure...just don't care for the character. The top 5 figures I'm hoping grow on me but likely won't are:

1. Sir Laser Lot...OMG this figure bores the hell out of me.
    2. Dekker...Nice paint...yawn.
    3. PreTernia He-man...I can't believe they did that before Ram Man
    4. Icarius...Val Kilmer?
    5. Optikk...I could have lived without an Optikk figure
    Pretty much, but you can add Spector, Megator, Gygor, Clawful, Whiplash & Cy-Crap to that list for me. And add a few more for ones I may like, but could care less to own.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; November 24, 2012 at 12:23pm.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Since I carefully pick my figures its hard to say.. Castle Grayskull Man has grown on me since his reveal so I purchased him. Other figures I'm on the fence on but are growing on me are Megator,Tytus,He-ro,Vikor and Bow..just not sure where to display them at this time.
    Last edited by King Criss79; November 24, 2012 at 01:24pm.

5 - Starla, Frosta, Bow - Wasn't planing on getting POP except for She RA but all of them turned out better than I thought especially those 3

4 - New Adventures - I just think the way they're done, they fit in the line better than I thought, and all look great

3 - Yellow Evil Lyn - At first I didn't want a yellow one, because the 200x one was so much better. This one in hand just seems better than BG Evil Lyn since she's missing what made her look cooler

2 - Cy Chop - At first I didn't care, but in hand so much better. Would probably be #1 if he had black instead of orange, but I like him a lot more than I thought.

1 - Catra - Just think she's amazingly done, can't take my eyes off her

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    ~Slush Head
    ~Optikk
    ~Horde Prime
    ~Bow
    ~Frosta
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

Court Magician
    Vikor!
    Chief Carnivous!!
    Grizzlor!!!
    Adora!!!!!
    Sy-Klone
    Slushhead

Too tough to get down to 5!

Since I am a cherry picker (until next year at least) I've only bought the figures that I want.
    Having said that, when Draego Man came out, I was really excited for him, but in hand he was lacking something.
    The same for horde prime. Fast forward a number of months and the latest weapons pack...

I have to say I like Horde Prime much better now that he has his staff.
    Also, Draego Man has gone from 'meh', to one of my favourite characters by simply adding his flaming shield and flame whip. He now looks incredible!
    Last edited by Bushmonster31; November 27, 2012 at 07:01am.