Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 073 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 073 Discussion!

Episode 073 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and James Sawyer are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss Princess of Power in MOTUC concerns,
    MOTU movie and the future of the brand,
    the Ultimate Battleground,
    Evil-Lyn's skin color,
    Son of Skeletor,
    Time travel,
    Donuts and Home Alone,
    Criticisms,
    Talking animals
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    Battle Ground Evil-Lyn
    Demo-Man
    Swift Wind

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Plus, fellow He-Fan josh on the forums has created this fantastic Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations which contains a ton of info about the show, with all the info about the Fanart, Fansites and Collectibles of the week, along with links to sites and user profiles of interest, and also details on how to contact the show with your feedback. Be sure to check that out!

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 27 minutes, 05 seconds

Direct link for Episode 073

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Evil Horde Poison Master! Mr_Yuck's Avatar
    Whoa Val, you've been giving us a buffet of Gooble here lately

I'll take a listen tonight. Can't wait.
    Most wanted: Blast attack, Lodar, Peekablue, Twistoid, and Despara!

So has Eamon left the show now, too?
    "I SHALL WARN YOU BUT ONCE, EVIL ONE--SPEAK TO ME THE TRUTH 'ERE MY BATTLE AXE FINDS A PLACE TO REST 'TWIXT YOUR FOWL EYES!" -He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man123 View Post
    So has Eamon left the show now, too?
    Nope. I just always forget to say where folks are when they are away.

Downloading now. I can not wait to listen to this episode! Thanks again for all the time and hard work you put into these!!!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I'm glad Eamon is just away, he cracks me up! Although I don't know how you could have PoP in MOTUC discussion without him!

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    It's been a Gooble filled weekend.
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Regarding Son of Skeletor... When I asked about Dare's accessibility in a Q&A and Scott said they were going in that direction with Evil-Lyn's bio, I'm glad he followed up the next month stating that Dare is NOT the son of Skeletor. I also hope it isn't Spector. My mind did go to Master Sebrian or Kaz though...

And regarding Dark Shadows, that is a phoenix that will keep rising. The twelve episodes in the 90s, the failed pilot in 2004, the comics, new novels, the upcoming movie, and audio dramas continuing the saga of the original canon into the present day, is a true testament to what fans are capable of. And I know MOTU is capable of the same longevity. Long live good fiction!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I haven't listened to the entire podcast yet, but Danielle's plagiarism story made me laugh and reminded me of a couple of plagiarism stories from my high school and college days...

The High School story:

This was during the second semester of my senior year of high school. I was in a single-semester long Government class. A good friend of mine was in the class as well (neither he nor I had any involvement in the actual plagiarism that occurred).

Everyone taking this course (regardless of which instructor they had or period they had the class during) had to write a paper. I forget the exact topic... I think it had something to do with Saddam Hussein. But it wasn't that major of an assignment or anything. It was a simple paper that didn't require any research or anything. I seem to recall writing mine in about a 1/2 hour. But apparently some huge plagiarism scandal happened with these papers. Apparently the people who took this class the semester prior had to write a very similar paper, but there was an addition that had been added to the instructions for the second semester.

What happened was at least a decent number of people throughout all of the sessions of this class handed in papers that were copied from other people who had taken the class during the semester prior. They were missing the additional portion that was added to the assignment for the second semester, and in some cases apparently different people handed in the same paper.

We were all told about this when the teacher was handing back our papers. Basically if it was clear that the paper was your original work, you would get it back with a grade on it. And if you were suspected of having participated in the 'scandal', there was some kind of note on the paper and the teacher was going to have to meet with the student and their parents to discuss this and get to the bottom of it.

My friend and I kind of laughed at the stupidity of the whole thing because it was a really, really easy assignment. It wasn't some kind of complicated research project or something that accounted for a huge chunk of our grades or anything like that (not that I condone cheating under those circumstances by any means, but I don't understand taking the risk of getting caught). We jokingly started referring to the whole Scandal as "Paper-Gate".

I do remember one guy in the class who was very upset because he got the note on his paper and he actually did his own work. He was talking to us about how upset he was, and I genuinely felt bad for him. From what I knew of him, he was a good student and wasn't the type to cheat or anything. I just suggested that he plead his case with the teacher. It was possible that he was identified mainly for not having clearly addressed the additional part of the assignment that was new for our semester, and not because there's a duplicate paper floating around out there. I think everything panned out for him though.

The College Story:

This may actually take the cake for the all time dumbest attempt at plagiarism ever.

I went to a local community college for 2 years before transferring to a university for the last 2. This was during the community college days, back around 1999. I was in an English class, and we had a research paper assignments that were a huge chunk of our grade for the class. Part of the assignment was that we had to conduct our own original research (i.e. conducting a survey or something like that). I was doing my paper on the whole Y2K scare that was happening back around that time. Another guy in the class was doing his paper on essentially the same topic (which was fine and the teacher approved of this). Also of note is that we actually did our papers and everything on the computers there at the community college and we would upload them where the teacher could see them this way and, if I recall correctly, we could see each other's work and critique it or something like that (it's been a long time so I don't recall the exact specifics on how it worked).

Anyway, for my original research, I came up with some questions and conducted a survey. With the teacher's approval, I handed the survey out to everyone in the class one day and had them take it. The teacher, herself, took the survey as well. In addition to my name being on it, I also had (as a joke) a little simple made up cartoon character (just made up of a wingdings font face) at the end that was sort of the mascot or mock-copyright logo of my research survey. I then tallied up the results, and uploaded them with the survey itself.

So we get to the end of the quarter (the classes at this college were based on quarters and not semesters), and we had to go see the instructor in her office to get our grades, etc. So I go to get mine, and she wasn't upset with me at all, but she goes on to tell me that the other guy doing the same topic was in all kinds of trouble. He never actually conducted his own original research. Instead he downloaded my exact survey, with the same results, cartoon character at the end, that the entire class AND instructor took, and handed it in as his own research (the teacher said that my name may have even still been on it somewhere). I forget if he actually lifted any parts of my paper, itself, but the main issue was the research piece. She told me this and that he kept apologizing to her, and she was telling him that he should apologize to me.

I actually laughed quite a bit at this. I would have been more angry (especially if it had been done in a less obvious manner where I could have ended up in trouble), but this was so ludicrously stupid on his part that it was just damn hilarious!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I actually hadn't read the BG Evil-Lyn prior to listening. Yikes....

I have similar feelings on the line that Dan mentioned in regards to the bios. Personally, I'd prefer just a straight-forward collectors' line, and would rather see any new, official stories being told in a more appropriate medium or not at all. That said, it's still cool to see many fans speculate and expand on what information has been given in those bios.

Besides just the general grammatical issue of using a place as the name for an event, Val pretty much summed up my thoughts everytime I see "The Ultimate Battleground(s)" being referenced in these bios.

Thanks guys!

Val, excellent point about sub-sales and resellers buying less. You made some of the best points about the state of the line (budget, profit, etc.) that I've heard yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Val, excellent point about sub-sales and resellers buying less. You made some of the best points about the state of the line (budget, profit, etc.) that I've heard yet.
    100% agree, they were very good points, I know sometimes it can be hard to separate the fan boy in most of us and look at things from the outside, but you normally do a great job of that val.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Hold on!!

I only finished episode 72 last night. I'll probably get around to this one on Tuesday while I'm out running. Sounds like an exciting podcast, however. Can't wait!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

regarding Demo-man. I read the bio a little differently that the Gooble crew. It never mentions how Evil-ynn helps so as far as I'm concerned it's Skeletor's own evil will that dominates Demo-man. The demon is only a power boost for Skeletor and nothing more.

Had a blast getting to chat with the Gooble peeps once again! Thanks for inviting me back on!

Sallah

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah View Post
    Had a blast getting to chat with the Gooble peeps once again! Thanks for inviting me back on!

Sallah
    Awesome! Always fun to listen to your thoughts! Now how can we get you on MastersCast?

Hope Scott listens to this one. It's one of the most relevant and important topics covered.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Knew deep down you wanted Drag Gwildor too
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Knew deep down you wanted Drag Gwildor too
    You're a bad influence Dylan...

Sallah

Very fun episode! I was LMAO when BG Evil Lyn's bio was discussed. I agree with everything you guys said. Keep up the great work.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Wow, controversies abound on this one!

Okay, I think that the point I agree with most about She-Ra toys vs cartoon designs was voiced by Danielle but maybe got burried in the conversation a bit and that is that elements from the toys really enhance the Filmation designs as they become toy designs. For some of us the Filmation designs exactly as they were made for the cartoon are just too plain for the toys--and that the original toys provide source material for added details--as was done with Bubble Power She-Ra. I don't agree that there were too many different sculpts in PoP compared to the MOTU as it will affect reuse of parts. I mean there were He-Man boots, Skeletor boots, Trap Jaw boots, and Beastman feet at least in He-Man while there were several PoP girls reusing the same boots. In MOTUC they can all use pretty much the same feet, hands, thighs, and arms, so it's not much that needs to be swapped out. If that's too much, I'm worried. At least with Bow (I HATE those space boots), I could understand the dilemma since no one else wore boots anything like his. But for the girls, I really want to see something other than what was on that first She-Ra figure over and over again.

I also think it's a legitimate point that in some cases, the toy PoP designs simply looked better than the ones in Filmation, but the Star Sisters turd is already in the pot, so I'm moving on from that.

I don't think Star Sisters "don't count," but they also shouldn't be weighted in such a way that we "can't" have a much more fan-demanded female rebellion member finally in the same year. That's not being too specific in my opinion. Just as people saying they don't mind getting King Hiss's slave woman or a three pack of the original He-Man concepts "at some point and not before other more important characters," the same applies here. What's good for one is good for another. But I'm not even using that justify a ton more PoP this year or ever, I just think we need a Glimmer or a Frosta in 2012 to break the ice (****, unintended pun!) on those signature PoP characters. Now that I've said that, watch all PoP fans hate how she's done.

RE Demo-Man, I honestly think people are wrong about Demo-Man cheapening Skeletor. Keldor already was evil and the bios aren't saying he wasn't, so it's not the same as say Anakin Skywalker sitting down and suddenly becoming Darth Vader with some abstract idea that Vader was a different guy. Keldor tried to lead a coup and burn his brother's face off with acid! The guy's at least a massive jerk, right? Mostly I get from the bio that Demo-Man makes him more powerful--which I think is an attempt to make Skeletor as unique as He-Man who is also infused with a greater power (of King Grayksull). Also, it makes him unstable, and I like the possibilities for that. It was suggested in the 200x cartoon when he saw his skull face for the first time and laughed like Jack Nicholson in Batman. Admittedly NA seemed to pattern Skeletor after the Joker with his many comedic moments and I don't think that worked, but the more homicidal even unhinged characterization in a more serious rendering feels appropriate for him. I like that he has a kind of curse with the Demo-Man spirit inside of him that he is struggling with--not in a good vs evil kind of way but in a struggle of evil with its own self-destructive nature. I think it makes Skeletor richer for having this personal demon. It also goes back to that scene from the cartoon when Evil-Lyn looked so horrified by what Keldor had become. She's a villain herself, but the whole thing broke her heart. I like that it explains her constant treachery, since Skeletor isn't the man she loved, while also justifying the bond they both feel. I'd be curious to know, Val, if that was at least partly what you intended with Vol. 3 of the comic where Skeletor seemed to forgive Evil-Lyn for trying to free Hordak--even though he'd been ready to kill her for freeing King Hiss earlier. All of that said, the bio read like it was for the Alcala Skeletor head and not Demo-Man. So as bios go, meh.

RE Skeletor and Evil-Lyn having a son....I'm all for more figures and maybe this will further justify a slimmer "young" buck....but still I don't know about this one. I mean if done right, it could be great! I'm picture Tetsuo from Akira, someone whose not evil but also incredibly dangerous and has to be stopped by He-Man. That could be fun. I don't see it lasting for more than one story though. And wouldn't Evil-Lyn want He-Man's spinal column on a platter if her son died because of He-Man! Nothing's to say there can't be another generation after He-Man vs Skeletor and that we learn something about them or that they might even play a part in the story. He-Man and Skeletor can, after all, continue fighting into their old age too. I think that if they go there though it will not be a constant in the generally accepted mythology because it's new and not essential to the original. It's a bit like killing the Sorceress before we even get her figure, it's not going to live on as the new status quo (not if fans can help it!).

RE Oo-Lar, I really would rather he be Jungle Attack He-Man than the original Alcala barefoot He-Man. I really dislike making those early mini comics into part of the canon but with that not being the real He-Man! I think that diminishes the real He-Man even more than King Grayskull or Randor being Skeletor's first rival! Unlike Demo-Man, that kind of move does dilute the original IMO.

Final, RE time travel, yes I fully agree that it gives characters too much power. Spector only works as a one-time character who is either destroyed or loses his time-traveling power or else he's too powerful. I like the idea that he's kind of deluded that he's doing a greater good "fixing" history and He-Man has to stop him. But otherwise, time travel is a very difficult concept. I like causality loops though, and time repairing itself when things are changed. Guess that's predestination though, and that's a whole other can of worms.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Wow, controversies abound on this one!
    Wait until you hear our next episode! It's the "Let's critique Madonna" episode.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    You guys have been on a bashfest lately huh?

I gotta agree though. Those bios definitely arent good ones at all. I gotta agree with Danielle (I usually do, she has hexcellent taste in MOTU/POP ) and I just don't want to know about things like Evil-Lyn and Skeletor's love child.

Definitely enjoying the steady flow of Gooble! We almost all caught up?
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

As you hear on the show, we are conscious of how things sound as we're talking about it. Throw in how there was a string of events over several episodes that were all met with criticism, and me releasing those episodes back-to-back, and I can imagine it's a bit overwhelming. Sorry about that! None of us want to be downers, but it's important we remain honest and true while also trying to have a good time.

Ep 075 has some good vibes. Scott and Eric are both on there. We give Scott a fair shake with TMS and Eric gives us his usual awesome inside look at figure creation. Hopefully that'll tip the scales back to normal.

Good episode. I'd stopped listening for a while when the discussions got a bit too negative for my taste, but started casually listening again around episode 60 or so. It's fair to say at this point you've won me back and I'll be looking forward to the next episode.