Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 074 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 074 Discussion!

Episode 074 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss Coke Zero vs Pepsi Max,
    11 O'Clock Comics,
    Dan's sickness and codliver oil,
    Happy birthday Rachel,
    Danielle: the Big Show,
    New Year's resolutions,
    MOTUC predictions and expectations,
    Remaining 30th anniversary figures,
    Dan featured on Blip.tv,
    Excercise,
    MOTU movie,
    the Christmas Special,
    Flash Gordon,
    He-Man and Skeletor available all year,
    the price of vintage figures,
    production numbers,
    30th anniversary styleguide art,
    Alvin Lee,
    Frank Frazetta,
    Christmas cards,
    Earl Norem fan site
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    none

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 27 minutes, 46 seconds

Direct link for Episode 074

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Episode 074 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...1&d=1274026244

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we discuss Coke Zero vs Pepsi Max,
    11 O'Clock Comics,
    Dan's sickness and codliver oil,
    Happy birthday Rachel,
    Danielle: the Big Show,
    New Year's resolutions,
    MOTUC predictions and expectations,
    Remaining 30th anniversary figures,
    Dan featured on Blip.tv,
    Excercise,
    MOTU movie,
    the Christmas Special,
    Flash Gordon,
    He-Man and Skeletor available all year,
    the price of vintage figures,
    production numbers,
    30th anniversary styleguide art,
    Alvin Lee,
    Frank Frazetta,
    Christmas cards,
    Earl Norem fan site
    and more!

MOTUC bios discussed in this show:
    none

MOTUC figures discussed in this show:
    none

Intro/Outro info:
    (none)

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 27 minutes, 46 seconds

Direct link for Episode 074

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

I'm about to paint right now... Great inspiration!
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Geoff Johns' most well known character at DC is Courtney Whitmore aka Stargirl/Star Spangled Kid. He based her off of his sister, who died in a plane crash.

I was looking at the 2012 Club Eternia breakdown on Mattycollector.com and I noticed something:

•The total commitment for 2012 is $510, plus applicable fees/taxes and shipping (varies depending on your location and the shipping method you choose). You will be shipped 12 Monthly Figures (12 @ $20 = $240), 4 Beasts/Variants/Multi-packs (1 each at $60, $30, $40, $40 = $170), 4 Quarterly Variant Figures (4 each at $20 each=$80) and the Club-exclusive figure/map (included in $20 signup fee = $20) for a total of $510 plus shipping/taxes/fees.

We already have the Star Sisters ($60) and the Griffin is coming ($30), so we have 2 $40 slots left. $40 slots have historically been giants and 2 packs. Wouldn't it be cool if one of those was a variant 2 pack, maybe a New Adventures He-Man and Skeletor 2 pack?
    Last edited by Nick Jones; February 6, 2012 at 05:30pm. Reason: Added to original post.
    "Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

Heroic Journalist MldMnrdReporter's Avatar
    Another Gooble? It's Goob-tastic!
    Gwildor: Moo? Moo.
    He-Man: Gwildor!
    Gwildor: I'm going, I'm going...Moo!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Dan featured on Blip.tv: Congratulations, Dan!

Flash Gordon: When I was little and first saw the movie, my mind wanted to tie everything together, so I wondered if the Hawkmen were Thanagarian... and then I went one step further wondering if Queen Angella was one of them! It just made sense that people from Earth kept disappearing and going to alien worlds...

30th anniversary styleguide art: It does look very anime... I was surprised by this when it was released, because of the stance taken on 200X. I really love the pieces, but agree with all you guys said. It doesn't make sense to call it a style guide when it's not symbolizing a particular media. New art celebrating this period in history, sure.

And thank you, Val, for always striving to make MOTU the best it can be.
    Last edited by Jon-O; February 6, 2012 at 06:47pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

I am enjoying these shows way to much, I'm going to have to donate money soon so I don't feel like I'm stealing!!!

I would love to see some Reis MOTU artwork, too. He has a very traditional comic style that I love.

Great episode. Frazetta He-Man would have been EPIC!

Just finished 73 and 74 back to back and stayed up way past my bed time...

I too was let down by the new Wind Raider artwork. I've had the Grayskull vs. Snake Mountain collage as my desktop wallpaper for a long time, and I loved the old paintings he did. I just found the Wind Raider art a little bland polished.

And yeah, Frazetta He-Man would've been, quite possibly, the best He-Man art ever.

Also, FYI, that comedy bit in the beginning Eamon was referring to was Louis C.K.

Court Magician
    Where can this style guide be found?
    --Brent

I got somewhat excited when Val said that there may be a comic or some form of media presence for He-man (possibly even a film) .... then Val reminded us to lower our hopes.

I'm just wondering if a comic is made (fingers crossed), would you or Emiliano be involved at any point? I lurk sometimes, but I don't read everything that goes on with the .org or listen to every Gooble podcast, so I'm not sure on how Mattel are with you or Emiliano (though I have my guesses since they haven't invited either of you to make an anniversery figure and seem to be iffy on revealing what went on with the last comic). Also I'm reminded how it was said that the 200X comic was pretty much tied to what went on with the cartoon. I think it would be great if any potential new comic starts its own continuity. Though now that I say that I'm afraid that any potential comic might be stuck with the Bios continuity (not my personal favourite).

Personally I always pictured a possible film in tone to be somewhere in between Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (not a bit fan, but they're well made and received), but Eamon's suggestion of a good Clash of the Titans is a good suggestion too. I think it can be for a wide range of ages, but still hard hitting at times (character death etc) and less of the Scooby Doo elements from the cartoons.

edit: Also on a side note about Eamon mentioning Ken from Street Fighter IV looking like He-man. Udon do a range of Street Fighter comics and I love their art style (check out Agent X/Deadpool stuff). I would love to see them tackle a He-man comic.
    Last edited by Masamune; February 7, 2012 at 12:22pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Oh my God! Imagine a Frazetta He-Man painting! Oh my God!

Congratulations Dan. That's very cool.

Val, good luck on those resolutions. Just remember, life is short and we only get one shot to make it count (however that's defined for each of us).

Listening to what Danielle was saying about the future of MOTU, about what 2012 and beyond holds for the line, I don't believe that it will be the same as it was. She said that Classic media will be selling lunch boxes which no one will buy because the fans are all grown up, and that kids won't buy these either. Last year it was dropped that everything from t-shirts to pencil cases would be made. Does anyone here really think that a company like CM would consider doing any merchandising of this kind without initiating a cartoon or a film first in order to give the property merchandising more recognition? If there is going to be t-shirts and lunchboxes then there is going to have to be something bigger to reignite the brand, and I think this is probably what Mattel hasn't announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by IamBrentN View Post
    Where can this style guide be found?
    The main page news archives what has been revealed, good sir.
    The styleguide itself, like all styleguides, is no doubt meant for licensees and not the public. My guess is when that styleguide is retired, someone may post it online in an unofficial capacity to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I'm just wondering if a comic is made (fingers crossed), would you or Emiliano be involved at any point?
    I still remain actively hopeful MVCreations will be hired again for something. I have a whole network of talented artists at my finger tips who are MOTU and POP fans (some from these very forums), just waiting for the chance to work on something.
    And it would certainly help to be a part of the inner circle again. It would definitely help me to balance my feedback and comments between the interests of both the brand and the fandom. "Bring balance to the force!" ...maybe.

Ooo, the comments about the Christmas Special gave me a thought: has the Gooble team considered doing a Mystery (Power) Theater 3000-style commentary? Maybe even live for Powercon! Here in Maryland for Shore Leave every year Peter David and Michale Jan Friedman do a live Mystery Science Trekkie 3000 and it kills, the perfect end to the con every year. The Gooble Team being tortured by Skeletor--or Toyguru!--for their dinner commentary over the year with a really baaaaaaad old episode...okay you'd still need some comedy writers to pull it off because all those MST3K shows are scripted (and they have to be), but it'd be so fun! I don't know what permissions are needed for the episodes, but it might fall under the banner of parody.

[URL="http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2288"]I still remain actively hopeful MVCreations will be hired again for something. I have a whole network of talented artists at my finger tips who are MOTU and POP fans (some from these very forums), just waiting for the chance to work on something.
    And it would certainly help to be a part of the inner circle again. It would definitely help me to balance my feedback and comments between the interests of both the brand and the fandom. "Bring balance to the force!" ...maybe.
    I could see me and other fans eating up that prospect. I don't know off-hand which artists outside of Emiliano are professional on the forums, but I know of a few artists here who do phenomenal work (Jukka, Nate etc) who I would love to see paid to do MOTU. Also your feedback is still pretty authoritative considering you have already worked with Mattel. The fact that you aren't currently working for them can add to that in a lot of cases, since people may feel you're not burdened too much by having watch what can be said or not as an employee.

Also back to the possibility of a new comic. I caught your comment in Gooble 73 on Mattel being quite singular in their approach to things and not receptive to anything outside their vision. It reminded me of how some of the big name comic companies like Marvel for example have different continuities for a single product. Marvel have a Marvel Adventures versions of Avengers and Spider-man as well as their Ultimate and mainstream versions. I thought if they did bring back comics it would be great if they had different versions of MOTU since there are various versions due to reboots and such. There could be a darker pre-Adam He-man mini-comic style book, a family friendly all ages book (maybe in the tone of filmation, 200X or both) and an all new continuity book that can set it's own stories and vision for MOTU.

Probably unlikely I know since MOTU only really has the Classics collectors line right now and we would probably be lucky for any comic to come around at this stage (maybe in a movie year ).
    I hate you. So much.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    Granamyr is not a beast slot, he will be sold like the windraider and is not in the sub

I think the new art is cool but I also thought it didn't represent classics or 30th anniversary

Val nice try on he Frazetta, that would have been cool

With a new movie, may it be good or bad, I'll take it as is and try to enjoy it but I'm definitely looking at it to help the brand and make more cool products
    Last edited by StraightEdgeHe-Man; February 7, 2012 at 04:25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeHe-Man View Post
    With a new movie, may it be good or bad, I'll take it as is and try to enjoy it but I'm definitely looking at it to help the brand and make more cool products
    Same. I only want a couple of things I think are core ideas to what should be a MOTU movie, but in the end if it revives the franchise with more toons (series or direct to DVD one shots etc) and comics etc then it's all good.

Also in regards to the last Gooble's talking point about time travel, the availability of technology like the Cosmic Key etc....

Cosmic Keyring. Just saying.
    I hate you. So much.

It has to be a successful bad movie to work. It can't be Conan and Green Lantern where nobody sees it.

Because of you talking about the hot girl in Flash Gordon, Val, I had to go back and watch it (I own the dvd). Doh!
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Eamon knows what he's talking about with the cod liver oil, if I were to recommend just one daily supplement to someone it would be cod liver oil capsules. They have numerous benefits for the joints, bones, heart, skin, hair and nails just to name a few.

Re the 30th anniversary styleguide art, I love it (except the Grayskull one), I think its just awesome, but like you guys say its a strange style choice for Classics as it looks anime, which is a bit of a slap in the face as when we've been crying out for 200x stuff we've been repeatedly told this style has been retired. Maybe the difference is this is anime not hyper-anime
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Because of you talking about the hot girl in Flash Gordon, Val, I had to go back and watch it (I own the dvd). Doh!
    She's quite the looker, isn't she?

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Eamon knows what he's talking about with the cod liver oil, if I were to recommend just one daily supplement to someone it would be cod liver oil capsules. They have numerous benefits for the joints, bones, heart, skin, hair and nails just to name a few.
    You guys sure about this? I need medical proof to back these claims up.

As a kid I didn't like the 86 move. Going back and re-watching later one, I enjoyed it a lot more. The Greatest Movie Ever podcast spoke very highly of it.

She's quite the looker, isn't she?
    I swear that when she was on that table being whipped, while donning that skin-tight red latex and everything about her physical self looking quite seductive, even the running eye make-up, I was only thinking about, I swear, how sorry I felt for her suffering. There was no other imagery that rose in my mind. I swear.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela